Author Topic: DTF Top 50  (Read 1508 times)

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
DTF Top 50
« on: June 06, 2012, 08:12:37 PM »
Hello everyone - I posted this in the Top 50 thread pinned at the top, but it was suggested I should probably make this into its own thread.  Hopefully you will find this interesting.  Here is my post from the other thread (with a couple of modifications) . . .

I took all of the top 50 lists that have been posted thus far and listed every selection in a spreadsheet including Album, Artist, Year of Release, and Forum User.  I also assigned points to each User's list based on their album ranking.  Their top ranked album received 50 points, 2nd ranked got 49 and so on.  If more than 50 albums were listed, the extra albums each received 1 point as if it were ranked 50th.

I combined some artists to hopefully simplify things.  Here are the combinations:

Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson/No-Man/Bass Communion (I didn't include Blackfield as that seems to be more of a collaboration, and one that SW is taking a step back from)
Devin Townsend solo projects/Strapping Young Lad
Arjen Lucassen/Ayreon/Star One
maudlin of the Well/Kayo Dot
Dave Matthews Band/Dave Matthews

Let me know if something doesn't make sense about these or if you think others should be combined that I have missed.

Now onto the good stuff.
Here is the link to the google spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Av7hhWXD5VkadEtTOTNyN0ZfdTZaWWF3N3BjOFROeGc

First tab shows how the points were distributed by year.  Interesting that the odd years of the 2000's seem to be the most popular.  And the only year to be ranked ahead of any of any year beyond 2000 was 1999.  1992 made a good showing, although more than half those points came from one album (I&W, obviously).  1975 was also impressive, primarily due to Wish You Were Here.

Second tab is the combined album ranking.  This is pretty much what I was shooting for when I started this project.  Gives an aggregate ranking from all the lists - self explanatory.  Probably not a lot of surprises if you've been following the various threads.  I know I am going to be going through this list to see what I have and see what I want to check out next.

Third tab is a ranking by artist.  Also includes how each artist's albums stack up.  Formatting isn't ideal, but I was trying to import from a more robust excel file. Sorry.

Anyway, I thought it was interesting info and I will be updating this periodically as more people continue to post their lists.  I also want to give everyone access to the database I compiled for these summaries.  That way, if someone is interested in checking out a particular album, they can go back and see who ranked it where and also go find their thread to see what they said about it.  I just need to figure out the best way to do that.  Maybe another google spreadsheet is the best option.

Lastly, if you see any errors, please let me know.  I tried to eliminate any duplicate Album/Artist listings that might have been caused by incorrect spellings or an extra space at the end of the entry.  I keep finding those every time I comb through the data.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Re: DTF Top 50
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 08:18:55 PM »
Impressive work.

:clap:

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 08:26:53 PM »
That's fucking insane. I'm trying to go through it and appreciate it, but all I can comprehend is that you actually listened to all those albums and did this, it's fucking insane. In an awesome fucking insane way of course.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 08:36:17 PM »
Wow. Awesome work. :o

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 08:38:01 PM »
Incredible
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 10:34:19 PM »
That's fucking insane. I'm trying to go through it and appreciate it, but all I can comprehend is that you actually listened to all those albums and did this, it's fucking insane. In an awesome fucking insane way of course.

didn't mean to mislead.  I haven't actually listened to all these (at least not yet).  I may be insane, but not quite that insane.

This was simply an exercise in compiling everyone's lists in an excel file and doing some data summaries.
Winger would be better!

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 10:47:07 PM »
Thanks man! Very cool!

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 10:55:00 PM »
WOW. thank you so much for your time and effort in putting this together, its an amazing look through the minds of all of us here.
That Drummer Guy's Reviews, Interviews, Playlists, Radio Shows, & Social Media:
https://www.thatdrummerguy.com

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 01:58:24 AM »
That must have been quite an undertaking, awesome work dude! :metal

Offline Estiui

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 02:52:05 AM »
Unbelievable  :o

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 03:06:11 AM »
kinda predictable that Dream Theater is the 1st band in Dream Theater Forums, isnt it  :)
and awesome work
I love beautiful things.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 04:00:35 AM »
How long did this seriously take you?  Incredible effort.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 06:25:10 AM »
I'll echo my sentiments from before.  Thanks for this, and it's very impressive.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 06:29:47 AM »
Incredible Hulk work!

A bit sad to see Haken so low though.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2012, 06:31:15 AM »
Awesome, looking through this now, didn't expect Thrice and dredg to be ranked so high, Tool also surprises me.

I've been trying to listen to everyones top 50 but it's taking a while especially since I'm listening to other music in the meantime, I've made some great discoveries.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2012, 07:17:01 AM »
Wow. That's some impressive/time consuming stuff.

Nice going, dude.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2012, 08:25:03 AM »
Just want to point out, I've always said 2005 is the best year for music, at least in the last 15 or so, so nice to see it leading the pack in that category.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2012, 10:32:54 AM »
Wow, that's pretty amazing. This needs to be stickied.
That top albums list is definitely gonna help me find some new stuff to listen to. :)
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2012, 02:27:45 PM »
How long did this seriously take you?  Incredible effort.

it took probably 3 weeks to complete working on it in spare time - 10 minutes here, 30 minutes there.  Most people had summary lists at the end of their threads that I could work a little excel magic on to get it into a homogeneous format.  Oh, and entering the release years of all the albums took a bit of time as well.

But now that I'm caught up, I can simply update the database as people add to their ongoing lists.
Winger would be better!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2012, 11:43:46 PM »
Updated the file to add a couple of columns to the year ranking tab.

Gives a little more context to the year ranking by showing the albums that make up each year's score and the album ranking within that year.  Works as sort of a DTF album of the year.
Winger would be better!

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2012, 11:44:10 AM »
Thoroughly unsurprising results.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2012, 11:13:37 PM »
Ok, now that several more lists have been completed, it's time for an update.  Link is in the first post.

A few notes:

Years
- 2002 jumped from 7th place to 4th place in the year rankings.  This was mostly from a strong surge by 6DOIT which overtook In Absentia for the 2002 "album of the year".

- 2011 jumped over 1999, 2000, and 2008 as Deconstruction, Visions, The Unforgiving, and This Mortal Coil made big gains.

- 2005 continues its dominance, almost doubling its lead over 2007.  Mezmerize, Alien, Ghost Reveries, and The Black Halo led the way although Deadwing and Catch Without Arms still take #1 and #2 that year.

Albums
- Metropolis Pt 2 (which gained the most points since the last update) jumped from 5th to 3rd, bypassing Colors and Deadwing.  Images & Words gained the 2nd most points and remained in 1st place.  Operation: Mindcrime gained the 3rd most points and moved from 15th to 6th.

- Two other big gainers were Bridge Across Forever (119th to 28th) and Somewhere In Time (90th to 23rd)

Artists
- Iron Maiden made a major leap from 25th to 6th

- Dream Theater easily had the most points gained, followed by Maiden, Queensr˙che, Pink Floyd, Spock's Beard, and Rush.
Winger would be better!

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2012, 12:06:17 AM »
Wow! I'm pleasantly surprise CWA and GA1 are in the top 10! :tup
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2012, 08:21:43 AM »
Keep in mind that first tab is the ranking within each year.  The second tab shows the overall album ranking.

Yeah, those two albums had really strong showings in the first several lists I compiled, but recently they haven't shown up quite as much.
Winger would be better!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2013, 07:03:02 PM »
Several more lists are complete.  The google doc linked in the OP is updated.

Here are a few notes:

Years
- The top 5 years remained the same, but 2006 surpassed 2003 for #6, with the largest 2006 album gainer being Iron Maiden's A Matter of Life And Death.
- 2004 fell out of the top 10 from #9 to #12.  It was surpassed by 2011 (Fables of the Sleepless Empire, Deconstruction), 1999 (SFAM) and 1992 (I&W).
- The biggest point gains overall were 2001 (Blackwater Park), 1992, 1981 (Moving Pictures) and 2002 (6DOIT, The Odyssey).

Albums
- I&W easily gained the most points since the last update.
- 6DOIT gained the second most points and passed Colors to be the #4 album.
- Moving Pictures and Master of Puppets made huge ranking jumps as they went from 51st to 18th, and 60th to 23rd respectively.
- The Odyssey was the newcomer of this update as it immediately jumped into the top 100 after not having any points previously.

Artists
- Devin Townsend's and Steven Wilson's projects have been very close throughout, this time, Devin just nipped Wilson for 2nd place.
- Thrice was knocked out of the top 10 after being passed by Rush, Metallica (22nd to 8th), and Yes.
- Symphony X also made a big move from 63rd to 22nd.
- The top artist points for this update were (in order) Dream Theater, Rush, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Opeth, and Symphony X.
Winger would be better!

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2013, 08:34:04 PM »
Great thread Hath. I sincerely appreciate your time and effort and admire your devotion to something we can all deeply enjoy :tup
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2013, 11:37:08 PM »
thanks, dude!  Happy to do it.
Winger would be better!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2013, 06:02:00 AM »
Can't wait to check this out. You have done good sir!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2013, 06:16:26 AM »
Can't wait to check this out. You have done good sir!

Same here and thank you for doing this for all us lazy people. (I'm the "king" of lazy.)
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2013, 09:05:25 AM »
Thank you for this!  :tup

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2013, 10:22:40 AM »
This is great.