General > Movies and TV

My New Least Favorite Movie Trailer

(1/5) > >>

ReaPsTA:
Not Safe For Work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GEFj0Pngu_E

Let me get this straight.  The movie is saying America is going down the tubes because people are selfish and narrow minded and stupid.

So this guy decides to go on a murder spree with a teenaged girl (hello creepiness?) as a way of lashing out.  He says the people deserve to die, but anyone who's not a sociopath/psychopath can explain why that's not true.  He is being narrow minded and selfish.

From what I can tell, the movie is saying "You're not supposed to take it completely serious.  It's meant to be a bit whimsical."  Well... okay...  But why do I want to relate to a 40 year old man who pops pills and hangs out with an under-18 year old in a way that feels creepy?  Why do I want to cheer when people die?

I think that, in it's own weird way, the movie is saying "Here's what's wrong with America, and here's a cathartic way to deal with it."

But, at least based on the trailer, the movie IS what's wrong with America.

If that ends up actually being the point, then I was wrong.  Horray.  But I think I'm right.

snapple:
it looks hella dumb

Ravenheart:
Funny, I actually caught this movie on TV last one night while staying in a hotel. It was some special pre-screen viewing on, maybe HBO? I forget the channel, but something along those lines.

It was interesting to watch. It does tackle some points about rudeness and selfishness in the US (which I think is applicable in any country, but hey, what do I know?), though it's nothing remarkably thought-provoking. The main characters, the young girl and the old man, were interesting enough for me to stay invested in their personalities and the overall story.

The movie does have a tendency to get extremely self-righteous and up its ass at times, though. Some of the rants of both characters essentially boil down to "BTW ANYONE WHO DISAGREES WITH ME IS FUCKING EVIL AND A MORON," and that's also shown blatantly in their actions. But I don't think it's meant to be taken extremely seriously. It's a mildly clever satire, nothing more, to be honest.

It'll probably cater to people who can't wait to demonize America in every aspect, but those people are probably just as guilty as the ones the movie targets.

BlobVanDam:
I think the characters seem relatable.
We have an older average guy, representing the blue collar working class guy who has spent his whole life working hard for seemingly nothing in his case, jaded and cynical from the younger generation with an undeserved sense of entitlement, and seeing these popular young stars coasting through life superficially.
Then we have the young girl who gets treated like crap by the same bunch of people, young and a little misguided, who gets caught up in this guy's backlash.

This actually looks fun to me. Completely mindless, gratuitous, satirical fun. Nothing I'd try to overanalyze or take too seriously.

Phoenix87x:
and it was directed by this guy:

He was in Scrooged with Bill Murry and I think he was Are you Afraid of the Dark as well.

I thought his other movie "World's Greatest Dad" was pretty decent, so I might check this one out as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version