Author Topic: My New Least Favorite Movie Trailer  (Read 1919 times)

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
My New Least Favorite Movie Trailer
« on: June 06, 2012, 10:36:47 AM »
Not Safe For Work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GEFj0Pngu_E

Let me get this straight.  The movie is saying America is going down the tubes because people are selfish and narrow minded and stupid.

So this guy decides to go on a murder spree with a teenaged girl (hello creepiness?) as a way of lashing out.  He says the people deserve to die, but anyone who's not a sociopath/psychopath can explain why that's not true.  He is being narrow minded and selfish.

From what I can tell, the movie is saying "You're not supposed to take it completely serious.  It's meant to be a bit whimsical."  Well... okay...  But why do I want to relate to a 40 year old man who pops pills and hangs out with an under-18 year old in a way that feels creepy?  Why do I want to cheer when people die?

I think that, in it's own weird way, the movie is saying "Here's what's wrong with America, and here's a cathartic way to deal with it."

But, at least based on the trailer, the movie IS what's wrong with America.

If that ends up actually being the point, then I was wrong.  Horray.  But I think I'm right.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
Re: My New Least Favorite Movie Trailer
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 10:42:25 AM »
it looks hella dumb

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 10:45:34 AM »
Funny, I actually caught this movie on TV last one night while staying in a hotel. It was some special pre-screen viewing on, maybe HBO? I forget the channel, but something along those lines.

It was interesting to watch. It does tackle some points about rudeness and selfishness in the US (which I think is applicable in any country, but hey, what do I know?), though it's nothing remarkably thought-provoking. The main characters, the young girl and the old man, were interesting enough for me to stay invested in their personalities and the overall story.

The movie does have a tendency to get extremely self-righteous and up its ass at times, though. Some of the rants of both characters essentially boil down to "BTW ANYONE WHO DISAGREES WITH ME IS FUCKING EVIL AND A MORON," and that's also shown blatantly in their actions. But I don't think it's meant to be taken extremely seriously. It's a mildly clever satire, nothing more, to be honest.

It'll probably cater to people who can't wait to demonize America in every aspect, but those people are probably just as guilty as the ones the movie targets.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 10:46:47 AM »
I think the characters seem relatable.
We have an older average guy, representing the blue collar working class guy who has spent his whole life working hard for seemingly nothing in his case, jaded and cynical from the younger generation with an undeserved sense of entitlement, and seeing these popular young stars coasting through life superficially.
Then we have the young girl who gets treated like crap by the same bunch of people, young and a little misguided, who gets caught up in this guy's backlash.

This actually looks fun to me. Completely mindless, gratuitous, satirical fun. Nothing I'd try to overanalyze or take too seriously.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 10:49:06 AM »
and it was directed by this guy:

He was in Scrooged with Bill Murry and I think he was Are you Afraid of the Dark as well.

I thought his other movie "World's Greatest Dad" was pretty decent, so I might check this one out as well.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 10:51:18 AM »
I just want to see some people die and fap to it, I couldn't give a shit less about the underlying meaning of the movie. Chances are, the meanings are excuses and whomsoever drudged up this movie's premise in the first place probably isn't wanting to change the state of America by showing it's shaved underbelly and all the nastiness with it. Nah, this movie is pure bullshit. I'll see it and I'll probably enjoy it for the running time but will quickly forget it soon after. Just good, Christian fun. Jew know?

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 10:56:07 AM »
Totally thought this was going to be afro circus.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 10:57:15 AM »
Funny, I actually caught this movie on TV last one night while staying in a hotel. It was some special pre-screen viewing on, maybe HBO? I forget the channel, but something along those lines.

It was interesting to watch. It does tackle some points about rudeness and selfishness in the US (which I think is applicable in any country, but hey, what do I know?), though it's nothing remarkably thought-provoking. The main characters, the young girl and the old man, were interesting enough for me to stay invested in their personalities and the overall story.

The movie does have a tendency to get extremely self-righteous and up its ass at times, though. Some of the rants of both characters essentially boil down to "BTW ANYONE WHO DISAGREES WITH ME IS FUCKING EVIL AND A MORON," and that's also shown blatantly in their actions. But I don't think it's meant to be taken extremely seriously. It's a mildly clever satire, nothing more, to be honest.

It'll probably cater to people who can't wait to demonize America in every aspect, but those people are probably just as guilty as the ones the movie targets.

So basically, at no point does the movie get around to saying "Oh wait, the old guy is worse than the people he kills."

I just want to see some people die and fap to it, I couldn't give a shit less about the underlying meaning of the movie. Chances are, the meanings are excuses and whomsoever drudged up this movie's premise in the first place probably isn't wanting to change the state of America by showing it's shaved underbelly and all the nastiness with it. Nah, this movie is pure bullshit. I'll see it and I'll probably enjoy it for the running time but will quickly forget it soon after. Just good, Christian fun. Jew know?

What?

We have an older average guy, representing the blue collar working class guy who has spent his whole life working hard for seemingly nothing in his case, jaded and cynical from the younger generation with an undeserved sense of entitlement, and seeing these popular young stars coasting through life superficially.
Then we have the young girl who gets treated like crap by the same bunch of people, young and a little misguided, who gets caught up in this guy's backlash.

You're thinking exactly how the writer constructed the trailer to make you think.  The old guy isn't a creepy worthless psychopath?  The girl doesn't have severe personality problems?

This actually looks fun to me. Completely mindless, gratuitous, satirical fun. Nothing I'd try to overanalyze or take too seriously.

You know that I love some mindless fun.  But I wasn't aware that killing people because you're mad at society was supposed to be mindless fun.

The one funny part of the trailer is at the end, when the guy gets killed for stealing two parking spots.  There's no satire or anything, it's just violence for its own sake.  Or, look at how South Park loves to just wantonly kill people.  It's all for a laugh and to bring people down to Earth.  There's nothing behind it.

But this trailer is tricking you.  It's playing on your sense of rage with society and letting you play out a fantasy of murder because it's letting you bullshit yourself into thinking "it's all just a dumb fun movie."  No it's not.  It's rageful and hateful.
Over and over again

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 10:57:21 AM »
Abe Lincoln was a Vampire Hunter?
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 11:02:46 AM »

So basically, at no point does the movie get around to saying "Oh wait, the old guy is worse than the people he kills."

Not that I recall, but I wish they did now that you bring it up. It would have elevated the movie to a slightly higher level than the one it had been at.

Edit: And now that I think about it, that would have made the ending a whole lot more compelling. Instead it just ends on that same predictable, self-righteous tone. Not a single character they murder or confront brings that up. They're all essentially dumb stereotypes that indulge the movie's points.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 11:03:25 AM »
I'm with you. I thought the exact same thing when I saw the trailer back when it was originally released. It looks terrible.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2012, 11:07:50 AM »

You're thinking exactly how the writer constructed the trailer to make you think.  The old guy isn't a creepy worthless psychopath?  The girl doesn't have severe personality problems?

You know that I love some mindless fun.  But I wasn't aware that killing people because you're mad at society was supposed to be mindless fun.

The one funny part of the trailer is at the end, when the guy gets killed for stealing two parking spots.  There's no satire or anything, it's just violence for its own sake.  Or, look at how South Park loves to just wantonly kill people.  It's all for a laugh and to bring people down to Earth.  There's nothing behind it.

But this trailer is tricking you.  It's playing on your sense of rage with society and letting you play out a fantasy of murder because it's letting you bullshit yourself into thinking "it's all just a dumb fun movie."  No it's not.  It's rageful and hateful.

I'm not being tricked or played. The movie clearly takes itself far too lightly to consider it legitimately hateful or rageful.
I didn't get any subtext of creepiness from his association with a younger girl from that trailer either. They looked like an odd pairing created by a common dislike. The guy is obviously a worthless psychopath, or he wouldn't be going on a killing spree, but that doesn't make him a worthless character. She's a young and troubled kid.

They're killing a bunch of people in parodies and exaggerations of common relatable situations. I thought "mindless and gratuitous" made my point pretty clear. This is not supposed to be a movie you overanalyze. This is "turn off your brain and enjoy the fun" type stuff, and it's doesn't look like it's posing as much more, even factoring in any social commentary.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2012, 11:18:27 AM »
I'm not being tricked or played. The movie clearly takes itself far too lightly to consider it legitimately hateful or rageful.

The rage of the writer/director is very real.  It's painfully obvious.

Here's a thought experiment.  Let's say the movie didn't take itself lightly.  Let's say the movie explicitly told you "you are absolutely supposed to sympathize with what this guy is thinking and feeling.  And you know you can because you think America is going down the toilet too."

Here's the thing.  Nothing that happened in the movie would change, just the way the events are presented to the audience.  So why are you letting yourself enjoy the movie just because the movie is giving you permission to enjoy it?

Contrast this with Independence Day.  If you made Independence Day a serious movie, virtually everything in the script would have to change because nothing about it can be taken seriously.  In the case of God Bless America, the only reason it's not a serious movie is because it tells you it's not a serious movie.

I didn't get any subtext of creepiness from his association with a younger girl from that trailer either. They looked like an odd pairing created by a common dislike. The guy is obviously a worthless psychopath, or he wouldn't be going on a killing spree, but that doesn't make him a worthless character. She's a young and troubled kid.

What about him isn't worthless?

She is young and troubled, which is why watching her do what she does actually makes me sad.

They're killing a bunch of people in parodies and exaggerations of common relatable situations. I thought "mindless and gratuitous" made my point pretty clear. This is not supposed to be a movie you overanalyze. This is "turn off your brain and enjoy the fun" type stuff, and it's doesn't look like it's posing as much more, even factoring in any social commentary.

Considering all the satire in the movie, I don't think you're supposed to turn off your brain.
Over and over again

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2012, 11:21:50 AM »
All I can say is that this movie clearly isn't for you.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2012, 11:22:50 AM »
They made this movie in 1993.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106856/

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2012, 11:28:56 AM »

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2012, 12:04:27 PM »
I don't understand why you might be upset about this movie. Sure, there's killing in the film, but there's killing in every film. There are interactions between a 40-year old man and an underage girl, but there isn't any hint they're engaging in anything inappropriate (and the MPAA wouldn't let that shit fly anyway).

The movie is supposed to be saying "hey, remember these guys that really piss you off? Wouldn't it be cool if they died?" It's a pretty mindless way to provide a release for the angsty American. It's not an eternal work of art or anything, but it'll probably be a fun distraction. I have no plans to see it at this point, however.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2012, 12:08:04 PM »
They made this movie in 1993.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106856/
A) Awesome, awesome movie.
B) This movie looks different, if only because the target here is pop culture.

Offline rogerdil

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2012, 01:03:17 PM »
God Hates Fags/God Hates Jews - LOL

okay, jeeves, we want a little "Breaking Bad" mixed with Zombieland (but with real people!).  Mix in some Natural Born Killers and we got a winner.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 01:11:39 PM by rogerdil »

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2012, 01:26:36 PM »
Looks like a pretty clever movie to me.  Designed to simultaneously criticize and appeal to modern pop culture.  Many of the people enjoying this movie will be people who the main characters would kill on a whim.  I'm not saying I approve, exactly, but I do find it pretty comical to think of someone sitting in a theater texting or talking on their cell phone and then laughing at someone on screen being murdered for texting or talking on their cell phone in a movie theater.  Whether you find that irony amusing or despicable is up to you.

One thing, though: watching this trailer, I didn't get any 'creepy' vibe about the relationship between the man and the girl.  I mean, it's creepy in that they are united by the common bond of gleefully murderous psychopathy, but it's not creepy because of the age and gender differences.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2012, 02:11:00 PM »
Looks like a pretty clever movie to me.  Designed to simultaneously criticize and appeal to modern pop culture.  Many of the people enjoying this movie will be people who the main characters would kill on a whim.  I'm not saying I approve, exactly, but I do find it pretty comical to think of someone sitting in a theater texting or talking on their cell phone and then laughing at someone on screen being murdered for texting or talking on their cell phone in a movie theater.  Whether you find that irony amusing or despicable is up to you.

One thing, though: watching this trailer, I didn't get any 'creepy' vibe about the relationship between the man and the girl.  I mean, it's creepy in that they are united by the common bond of gleefully murderous psychopathy, but it's not creepy because of the age and gender differences.

This man has a sexy brain.

Especially in regards to that 'one thing'. Ya pervy twerps.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2012, 02:31:37 PM »
Abe Lincoln was a Vampire Hunter?

Saw the TV trailer for that the other day. Wtf.

Also, walked by a poster of the "Chernobyl diaries" today whose tag line is "Experience the fallout". I can only imagine how brain dead that movie is.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2012, 02:38:08 PM »
Quote from: TioJorge
This man has a sexy brain.

:blush

Quote from: TioJorge
Especially in regards to that 'one thing'. Ya pervy twerps.

Yeah.  Honestly, I find it a little bit worrisome that people could watch a trailer about two people going on a whimsical killing spree and be disturbed by the fact that one of those people is a minor.  Big picture: even if they are 'romantically involved' off camera, is that really the most morally outrageous thing going on in the movie?
Sincerely,
Jaffa