Author Topic: Holding on to bands who aren't what they used to be  (Read 5004 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Holding on to bands who aren't what they used to be
« on: June 04, 2012, 10:59:54 PM »
I have heard some criticize the idea of doing this, like when a band releases an average album late in their career and someone inevitably says, "If this were their first album or by a band you didn't know already, would you really keep listening to it?"  That may be a fair point, but the way I see it, holding on to a band you have a long fandom with is like your wife of 20 years doing some things that now annoy you all of the time.  Sure, she might not be what she used to be, but you still love her and put up with the flaws because of this, as opposed to if someone did those annoying things on a first date or something, in which you'd bail quickly, just like you'd likely bail on a band if the first album you heard by them was annoying and/or average.  Make sense?

tl;dr...another wife analogy in regards to music. :lol :lol

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Re: Holding on to bands who aren't what they used to be
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 11:54:56 PM »
Thank god Death Magnetic was okay or else I'd hold it against them that none of them ever sucked my cock.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline adace

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 12:10:10 AM »
If Chester Bennington wasn't such a good singer, I would have stopped paying attention to Linkin Park after they released MtM. AtS was pretty crappy and I don't Living Things to be any better.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 12:12:05 AM »
In general I hold on to bands for a long time giving them chance after chance to make it better next time, but in the case of Metallica and Queensryche I'm filing in for a divorce.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 12:15:45 AM »
If Styx decides to do the right thing and get Dennis DeYoung back in the band, I'd be willing to tear up the divorce papers.  But... that's not going to happen any time soon though.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 12:18:26 AM »
It really depends on how much I liked the band.

For instance I still buy Dream Theater albums hoping for a triumphant return.

I also still buy Pain of Salvation albums hoping that Daniel starts writing great music again and stops jerking off to his own reflection.

However I got bored with bands like Sonata Arctica and just stopped buying their albums, my liking their old stuff doesn't mean enough to buy their new stuff.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 12:26:54 AM »
Love your statement about Daniel. :lol

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 12:27:56 AM »
Realistically, if ADTOE wasn't the triumphant return you were hoping for, they'll probably never make a triumphant return.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 01:24:41 AM »
I recognize this very much, and I do it myself.

Dream Theater is a good example. I don't think they have done a really good album since 6DOIT. There are a few good songs spread out on the albums afterwards, but none of the albums themselves have been solid all the way through. Octavarium, Systematic Chaos and Black Clouds are on the edge of being almost bad for me, but ADTOE was a nice improvement.

Metallica is another example. As I see it, they've made one good album in the last 24 years, and that is Load. Everything else is pretty mediocre, but I still check out their new stuff when it comes, because I consider Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets and Justice to be classic albums. With that said, I haven't checked out Beyond Magnetic though.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 01:29:09 AM »

Dream Theater is a good example. I don't think they have done a really good album since 6DOIT. There are a few good songs spread out on the albums afterwards, but none of the albums themselves have been solid all the way through. Octavarium, Systematic Chaos and Black Clouds are on the edge of being almost bad for me, but ADTOE was a nice improvement.

Metallica is another example. As I see it, they've made one good album in the last 24 years, and that is Load. Everything else is pretty mediocre, but I still check out their new stuff when it comes, because I consider Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets and Justice to be classic albums. With that said, I haven't checked out Beyond Magnetic though.
I would check out Beyond Magnetic, it had some fantastic songs.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 06:42:38 AM »
Chuckles & Mr. Squeezy by dredg kinda turned me off, they tried something different and I didn't like it so I hope they'll return to some of their older sound for the next record. Kinda like your wife getting a new hairstyle that is just terrible.

Dream Theater, I try with every album since ToT but I can't get into them anymore, I'll listen to a few songs once a month but that's enough for me usually. I guess I just fell out of love with them.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 06:52:26 AM »

I would check out Beyond Magnetic, it had some fantastic songs.
Seconded. Death Magnetic was better than anything since Justice, and Beyond Magnetic took that a step further.

Regarding the thread: I rarely have this problem, tbh. Maybe I'm not as critical as some others, but I have rarely been disappointed by a release of a band that I loved. Sure, I might not like it as much as previous records (case in point: BC&SL), but I have never had the feeling that a record flat-out disappointed me - at least not from the bands that I really love. Infected by Hammerfall was a disappointment, but I have never to Hammerfall that intensively.

I'm probably uncritical, too young, lucky, or all of them, but I'm not complaining.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 07:40:45 AM »
If Styx decides to do the right thing and get Dennis DeYoung back in the band, I'd be willing to tear up the divorce papers.  But... that's not going to happen any time soon though.

But when Dennis DeYoung is a crazy maniac, Styx had to divorce thenselves from him.  He held them hostage for to long.  Besides Lawrence Gowan is an awesome singer, frontman and has a great voice.  You would change your mind if you saw them on tour now.  I sugest renting the Blu Ray of the Grand Illusion tour that they just played a year or so ago.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 07:46:22 AM by chefkingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2012, 07:44:41 AM »
I agree. While it's obvious we'll miss his music. The band is clearly happier without him.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2012, 08:06:51 AM »
Not sure I agree with that about Gowan.  Okay, he does a good job with the singing, but his on stage antics are laughably embarrassing.  When my brother and I saw the Yes/Styx bill last summer, countless times we looked at each other like, "Is this guy really acting like that?" in regards to Gowan.  Having said that, I get why they divorced themselves from Dennis DeYoung.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2012, 08:13:55 AM »
I'm not with you on Gowan, he's no David Lee Roth over the top.  I'd like to see them do another studio album with this line up since the last one was 2002  (Cover album after) but to each his own.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2012, 08:26:26 AM »

But when Dennis DeYoung is a crazy maniac, Styx had to divorce thenselves from him.  He held them hostage for to long.  Besides Lawrence Gowan is an awesome singer, frontman and has a great voice.  You would change your mind if you saw them on tour now.  I sugest renting the Blu Ray of the Grand Illusion tour that they just played a year or so ago.

I've seen Styx with Dennis DeYoung and with Lawrence Gowan and I prefer the Lawrence Gowan version of the band by a substantial margin.  He's a better showman and frankly, I like his voice better too.  And you're right about that recent tour they did.  I saw them from the 10th row center and it was one of the best concerts I've ever seen, by any band at any time.  They were incredible.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2012, 08:39:07 AM »

This.

Metallica is also a good example though contrary to most people I actually like Death Magnetic a lot.

Even if a band I like had an awful run I'd still give them a chance with new albums cause I know they are capable of creating some good music.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2012, 09:09:48 AM »
I guess The Offspring is my band in that area. I still pretty much love everything they put out (except Cruising California, that song is abhorrent).
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline rogerdil

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2012, 09:27:34 AM »
I don't ever divorce any band de jure, but de facto all the time.

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2012, 09:55:29 AM »
I held on to Boston too long, I should've stopped after their debut album... but side one is sooo good, maybe the best side of straight-up rock, ever.

I never lost faith with DT, even after a couple albums I wasn't thrilled with, because I never felt they were "mailing it in"; they were simply creating albums that had a number of tunes I didn't care for.  I knew they'd eventually come up with something that strongly appealed to me, and they did with ADTOE.

Rush... yeah, I'm hanging on too long with them, probably.  Nearly 2 decades of adoring their music - although it took me a while to get into Signals - but it's been really hit or miss with them over the last 20 years, often "miss".
It's the Internet.  Everything everybody says, no matter how factual-sounding, is opinion.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2012, 10:06:04 AM »
Yeah, DT for me too. While I used to lactate over their albums for months on end, ADTOE survived for maybe 2 weeks, and then I just never felt like listening to it again. I still end up going to their concerts though and will buy their albums.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2012, 10:25:54 AM »

I just watched a live version of "The Grand Illusion" from that tour and realized I still don't own a Styx album that isn't the greatest hits collection I got in middle school.  Just bought the Grand Illusion and fixed that.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2012, 10:28:08 AM »
I held onto Iced Earth for so long they actually managed to put out a halfway decent album.  :lol

Personally, I think sometimes its less that you hold onto a band that isn't what they used to be and more you simply aren't interested in the band anymore, yet you listen to them out of loyalty. It feels like a lot of people here are in that position with Dream Theater. I had an epiphany recently when I realized that, other than Ghost, I simply haven't been interested in anything Devin Townsend's put out since the second Devin Townsend Band album. I'm starting to wonder if the same thing has happened with Opeth, of all bands. Maybe I'm just projecting what I feel to here, but a lot of responses here feel less like "I should give up on this band" and more like "I don't actually like this band anymore."
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2012, 10:30:03 AM »
It really depends on how much I liked the band.

This, plus I usually check online to see what the overall perception of the current quality of a long-running band that I like.

Online Adami

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2012, 10:35:31 AM »
I held onto Iced Earth for so long they actually managed to put out a halfway decent album.  :lol

....and which album was that? Cause Dystopia is a horrible CD.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2012, 11:00:34 AM »
At one point the band was Queensryche for me, then I just plain gave up. They weren't interested in giving me what I wanted to hear so I said goodbye.

Rush too maybe, as everything since Counterparts hasn't done anything for me. The new one has potential though so I'm still willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. 20 years since  great album though...

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2012, 11:07:18 AM »
I held on to Boston too long, I should've stopped after their debut album... but side one is sooo good, maybe the best side of straight-up rock, ever.

I never lost faith with DT, even after a couple albums I wasn't thrilled with, because I never felt they were "mailing it in"; they were simply creating albums that had a number of tunes I didn't care for.  I knew they'd eventually come up with something that strongly appealed to me, and they did with ADTOE.

Rush... yeah, I'm hanging on too long with them, probably.  Nearly 2 decades of adoring their music - although it took me a while to get into Signals - but it's been really hit or miss with them over the last 20 years, often "miss".

I let go of Rush soon after "Moving Pictures" and having heard quite a bit of what they've put out since then I have never once regretted that decision.

I let go of Queensryche after "Promised Land" and I've never understood why so many people rate that album so highly.  They're another band that has not put out anything I enjoyed once I let them go. 

With Dream Theater the highs were so good that I gave them some extra time to make a comeback.  After "Octavarium" and "Systematic Chaos" and especially "Black Clouds and Silver Linings" I was pretty bummed out.  I think I might have even cried a little bit when I heard the "day after day and night after night" section of "A Nightmare to Remember"  :lol   But I decided to give them one last shot with ADTOE and I am glad I did because I think it's the best thing they've released in a decade.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2012, 11:09:47 AM »

Ah, opinions. Compared to the previous three, Dystopia is pretty good IMO. Certainly better than the second Something Wicked album and Glorious Burden.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Online Adami

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2012, 11:16:46 AM »

Ah, opinions. Compared to the previous three, Dystopia is pretty good IMO. Certainly better than the second Something Wicked album and Glorious Burden.

It's better than Glorious Burden, that's for sure. It's a wee bit less good than Crucible of Man and way worse than the Ripper album about something wicked. The songs on Dystopia are just soooooo boring.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2012, 12:08:21 PM »

Um... dude, I love you and all, but I just do not agree that Gowan is the best thing for Styx since slice bread.  Chuck Panozzo would also like to have a word with you too - he's pretty much stated that the original line-up should get back together before someone else dies, and IMO it's JY and Tommy who are holding the band hostage.

I've also seen a Grand Illusion tour that I enjoyed very much - 1997, WITH Dennis.  So no thanks on the Gowan version of that, OR Pieces of Eight. ;)

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2012, 12:10:12 PM »

Oh yeah, and in terms of holding on: I don't see why it's such a problem. When a band releases a new album and I didn't like the predecessor, I listen to it on Youtube. If it's good, I buy it, if it's not, then I'll listen to previous releases and lose no sleep over it.

I never got around to listening to Dystopia, but it's not hard to be better than Glorious Burden. The worst IE album imho.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2012, 12:13:38 PM »
Styx can still bring it live, with or without DDY, but one album of original material in over a decade since he left pretty much confirms that they are creatively dead when it comes to coming up with new material.  If Shaw and Young want to keep being a nostalgia act and touring and playing the old hits (plus the one great song off of Cyclorama, One with Everything), more power to 'em, but I'd love to see them all come back together and bust out more album before it is too late, especially since they never really did a comeback album in the latter 90s when they got back together (Brave New World doesn't count, given how fractured the band already was at that point).

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2012, 12:18:06 PM »
I saw Dennis DeYoung in concert and he was pretty great, too.  He had a great band with him.  But I think Styx with Tommy Shaw, JY Young and Lawrence Gowan is pretty stacked band.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2012, 12:28:42 PM »

Um... dude, I love you and all, but I just do not agree that Gowan is the best thing for Styx since slice bread.  Chuck Panozzo would also like to have a word with you too - he's pretty much stated that the original line-up should get back together before someone else dies, and IMO it's JY and Tommy who are holding the band hostage.

I've also seen a Grand Illusion tour that I enjoyed very much - 1997, WITH Dennis.  So no thanks on the Gowan version of that, OR Pieces of Eight. ;)

So did I with Kansas I believe and I'm not hating on DD but the other guys just can't wait for a guy that holds the band hostage, (See Journey also)  This new band kicks ass live and it's a shame, I think you'd like them.