Author Topic: Yes yes yes yes yes!!!!  (Read 4195 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Yes yes yes yes yes!!!!
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2012, 03:05:10 PM »
For the title of this thread.

I'll have what he's having.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2012, 03:07:52 PM »
I hate Will Smith. I don't think I've ever seen a movie with him in it and thought "that was a really good movie".
I'm with you completely.

Pursuit of Happyness?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2012, 03:09:26 PM »
I hate Will Smith. I don't think I've ever seen a movie with him in it and thought "that was a really good movie".
I'm with you completely.

Pursuit of Happyness?

That was a good movie, and perhaps his best.  But to the point made several times earlier in the thread, even with a movie this good and this emotional, I never felt like I was watching Chris Gardner.  I felt like I was watching Will Smith trying to be Chris Gardner.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2012, 03:09:57 PM »
He was very good in Enemy Of The State and this is an ass kicking movie.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2012, 03:35:08 PM »
Good news! Fingers crossed for the first Jurassic Park.
And I love Will Smith.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2012, 04:19:32 PM »
Good news! Fingers crossed for the first Jurassic Park.
And I love Will Smith.

Oh god... if they didn't go cheap and did the 3D conversion properly, JP would be amazing.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2012, 10:19:10 AM »
Are they gonna redo the CGI too? Cause ID has not aged well in that department.
A lot of the sfx were done with models in ID so they hold up much better than CGI from that era. The few CGI-heavy shots are cheesy and outdated, but I don't recall there being that many of them.

Even with the implausible plot and "Hey! Yeah, 'Murica!" vibe, I still love this movie.  It's dumb, but it's still a lot of fun.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2012, 12:01:33 AM »
I think the SFX in Independence Day are one of the movie's strong suits.  CG, even good CG, usually looks outdated in a couple years.  Model work never goes bad.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline mrjazzguitar

• I play guitar.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • rump horrot
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2012, 12:05:20 AM »
I think it's funny when people don't like the movie.

"He gave the space ship a cold?"

Well, yeah.  Because of the alien ship they had at Area 51, they understood the computer systems of the alien mothership well enough to create a virus that could corrupt its computers.

"But they wrote the virus in one night?"

Yeah.

"See?  That's stupid."

This is a movie where Will Smith punches an alien and defiantly tells it "Welcome to Earth!"  Randy Quaid's in it.  Why do you care?

"Because it's everything stupid about Hollywood movies."

But the thing is, a movie like Twister is only enjoyable for its unintentional comedy because it pretends to be logical and tries to be serious.  Otherwise, it's not worth very much.  Independence Day has actual emotion and logic woven into the script, but they're secondary to the fact that it's meant to be entertainment.

"Now you're letting yourself get suckered in."

And?  What's wrong with enjoying it?

"It makes you stupid."

Why?

"Because nothing makes sense, it gratuitously uses American patriotism themes are part of the plot, and it takes a potentially serious situation and uses it for action."

That's the point.

fucking beautiful post. can I quote you on this for the rest of my life?

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2012, 12:11:29 AM »
Sure.  Anything to drown out the insufferable carping of film snobs who think movies designed to be entertaining are beneath them.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2012, 12:20:00 AM »
Sure.  Anything to drown out the insufferable carping of film snobs who think movies designed to be entertaining are beneath them.

Really? You don't need to be a film snob to dislike ID. I like plenty of other big dumb action movies, but I personally find ID to be painful.
Like, literally painful. Not just metaphorically painful, as a figure of speech. I mean that watching any part of that movie actually causes me physical pain in my head, like my brain is killing off cells to try and adapt by shutting off systematically.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2012, 12:30:09 AM »
I think the SFX in Independence Day are one of the movie's strong suits.  CG, even good CG, usually looks outdated in a couple years.  Model work never goes bad.

This is precisely why the original Star Wars movies look so much better than the prequels.  None of that blue screen constant-CGI-in-your-face-all-the-time-bullshit.

While I understand that people don't like the movie (like Blob), there are enough people masquerading as film critics who say they hate this movie that I support using your longer quote for that purpose. 

I'm with you completely.

Men in Black and Pursuit of Happyness would like a word with everyone in this thread.  :biggrin:

Offline RobD

• Jedi-Pirate
  • JimJam YaHA!
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2012, 11:23:28 AM »

Glad I'm not the only one who read the thread title with a metal version of Ride of the Valkyries behind it... :P

And on topic, I hope that if they keep making old films 3D then they show them in 2D as well. 3D is a massive waste of my money.
Pure. Refreshing. Bacon.
Clearly, RobD is a genius.