Author Topic: The Yes Discography: Mirror to the Sky (2023)  (Read 89208 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: The Yes Discography: Fly From Here (2011)
« Reply #490 on: October 03, 2012, 03:36:46 PM »
That's okay, the thread's pretty much over now.  We can talk about whatever we want now.  :lol

Offline FreezingPoint

« Reply #491 on: October 03, 2012, 06:30:13 PM »
Firstly, thanks to Orbert for creating this thread. It really has been a journey, but it has also been fun, informative, and interesting. Good job! :tup

I do not really have much to add to the Fly From Here discussion that hasn't been said already. I am really looking forward to listening to that lengthened "Hour of Need" though.

I do have a few questions though, mostly regarding: the future. Where does everyone see Yes going from here? Where do they end their journey? How should they end it? I could see them releasing one more album, but personally I would want it to be very special, and different than Fly From Here. Perhaps a full blown concept album/rock opera type album? I don't know really. I would kind of hate to see them just fizzle out and disappear, but if that is what they decide to do, I am fine with it. Why? Because Yes' catalog has such depth to it. Albums I've heard a hundred times still have more left to explore in them; this thread proves it. And that is what is so great about Yes.

(Also, what ever happened to that Anderson, Rabin, Wakeman project that was rumored?)
avenuex.bandcamp.com

Offline TexansDT

« Reply #492 on: October 03, 2012, 08:50:25 PM »
Orbert, huge thanks to you for starting this thread. And thanks to all the other Yes fans that contributed their thoughts.

Other than Roundabout and Owner of a Lonely Heart, I knew next to nothing about Yes when the thread began. No particular reason really, just an ambivalence borne out of not being a '70s prog guy. Now, I've pulled Fragile and 90125 from the $5 Best Buy bargain bin and bought The Yes Album from iTunes. They've all struck pretty well, particularly the older two and especially Fragile. What a phenomenal album! So, thanks to you and everyone in the thread, I have some new music to enjoy and a new band to explore!
If I seem superhuman, I have been misunderstood...

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #493 on: October 03, 2012, 08:53:17 PM »
Very cool!  Yes music is awesome and as far as I'm concerned, the more people who experience it, the better.

Supposedly Chris and Alan plan to write some music together soon, between now and the end of the year.  That's all we know.  It could end up as material for the next Yes album, or the next Conspiracy or Chris Squire Experiment album.

Last I knew, the Anderson/Wakeman/Rabin project was back on.  It was "planned" for a while, years ago, but after sitting on the back burner for so long, it's finally been pulled to the front.  All that means in this case, however, is that they're back to actively trying to work out schedules to actually do something.  In other words, it's still being planned for whenever they can do it.

Earlier this year, Benoit David became ill and could not tour, and Yes (that is, Chris, Alan, and Steve) again had to find a singer.  The current lead vocalist for Yes is Jon Davison.  As with Benoit, he was selected primarily based on YouTube videos.  Some people scoff or snicker at that, and I did too, but when you think about it, it makes sense.  Why bother advertising or trying to use whatever connections you have to find people who are interested, when you have all these audition videos online, ready to go?  Sit through a few hours of videos, narrow the list down to a few names, make some phone calls.  If you're in a Yes tribute band and Chris Squire calls you and wants you to front an actual Yes tour, are you going to turn that down?

Rick Wakeman's vision of Yes continuing indefinitely by coninuously replacing members still seems like nothing more than a really cool idea, but stranger things have happened, I'm sure.  Okay, I can't think of any off hand, but I'm sure they have.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #494 on: October 03, 2012, 09:17:22 PM »
I always figured it would be Kiss that continued by replacing people, but keeping the same make up, myself. Never thought that sort of thing about Yes.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline FreezingPoint

« Reply #495 on: October 03, 2012, 09:50:25 PM »
Last I knew, the Anderson/Wakeman/Rabin project was back on.  It was "planned" for a while, years ago, but after sitting on the back burner for so long, it's finally been pulled to the front.  All that means in this case, however, is that they're back to actively trying to work out schedules to actually do something.  In other words, it's still being planned for whenever they can do it.

Earlier this year, Benoit David became ill and could not tour, and Yes (that is, Chris, Alan, and Steve) again had to find a singer.  The current lead vocalist for Yes is Jon Davison.  As with Benoit, he was selected primarily based on YouTube videos.  Some people scoff or snicker at that, and I did too, but when you think about it, it makes sense.  Why bother advertising or trying to use whatever connections you have to find people who are interested, when you have all these audition videos online, ready to go?  Sit through a few hours of videos, narrow the list down to a few names, make some phone calls.  If you're in a Yes tribute band and Chris Squire calls you and wants you to front an actual Yes tour, are you going to turn that down?

Perhaps now that Rabin's new solo album is finished we will hear some news. Honestly, I am very interested in hearing what they might come up with.

I actually haven't gotten around to listening to the new singer yet. I'll have to do that. I wonder if he will bring anything to the table songwriting wise. I think Steve and Geoff are on tour with Asia now, so I don't expect to hear anything from them until that is done. Either way, with two or more Yes related projects, there are some things to look forward to in Yes-world.
avenuex.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #496 on: October 04, 2012, 07:10:11 AM »
That makes sense about Steve and Geoff being out with Asia right now.  I just remember seeing a quote from Alan back in September about how he and Chris were going to get together to do some writing between now and Christmas.  So that too is still only something which is planned, not definite, and hasn't happened yet.

I've mentioned in other threads how the music scene has changed, and how bands or at least individual musicians used to actually retire.  At some point, they decide that they've had a good run and call it quits, and enjoy the rest of their lives as normal humans.  Very few musicians seem to retire anymore.  There seems to be an attitude that you must keep doing it as long as you're still alive, and now fans actually expect it.  Sometimes I think all these announcements that things are "planned" are just to keep fans quiet for now, keep them waiting.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #497 on: October 04, 2012, 08:09:08 AM »
That makes sense about Steve and Geoff being out with Asia right now.  I just remember seeing a quote from Alan back in September about how he and Chris were going to get together to do some writing between now and Christmas.  So that too is still only something which is planned, not definite, and hasn't happened yet.

You know what's missing from RAW (Rabin/Anderson/Wakeman)?? A good rhythm section... and you know what Alan and Chris are? A good rhythm section.

Just sayin'... I think it would be an awesome line-up - the classic TFTO/GFTO line-up but with Rabin instead of Howe. :metal

Really though, I think I'm a bit more excite for the "RAW" idea than a new Yes album at this point, but that'll largely depend on whether or not Jon and co. get a rhythm section for their band/album.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
The Yes Discography: Epilogue
« Reply #498 on: October 04, 2012, 08:51:55 AM »
I think Anderson/Rabin/Squire/Wakeman/White would be a fantastic band, and that very idea has come up more than once on the Yesfans boards.  But that would basically be another Yes, and Trevor has stated that they (Anderson/Rabin/Wakeman) are trying to be very careful about not making this a version of Yes.

Jon and Rick have recorded an album and toured together as a duo, and their music of course has some similarity to the Anderson/Wakeman parts of Yes songs, but in choosing to be a duo, as opposed to rejoining Yes (which they were both invited to do, again, for the latest album), they've made their feelings pretty clear as well.

Steve Howe was interviewed recently, and of course the subject of Jon and Rick came up, and he said point blank that it's not about Jon and Rick anymore; it's about who actually wants to be in the band and make Yes music.  I'm sure he's sick of getting asked about them, too, and his response was meant to hopefully put an end to that, but the cynics of course have interpreted it as him saying "Oh, so now it's open to whoever wants to be in Yes?"  But then, some people are always looking to read things between the lines that aren't there.  To me, it's pretty obvious that that's not what he meant.

That would be a sweet lineup, for Yes or whatever.  The problem is that it would almost not make sense to not call it Yes.  We're talking about five Yes alumni.  But Steve owns 1/3 of the Yes name, and you know he would not allow that.  Also, those five guys together on stage, and they don't play any Yes music?  That would be criminal.  But again, I'm sure Steve would block that.  They asked Jon and Rick to come back to Yes, and they declined, then the next thing they do is get together with TR and go out and call it Yes, without him?  Steve may be an asshole, but he'd be perfectly justified in telling them to fuck off if they asked his permission to do that.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
Re: The Yes Discography: Epilogue
« Reply #499 on: October 04, 2012, 06:09:56 PM »
I haven't posted any, but I've been following this thread on and off since the start. It's been a lot of fun to read and has increased my interest in Yes, thanks for doing it, Orbert!  :tup
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #500 on: October 04, 2012, 07:22:12 PM »
I wish Changes was an instrumental and just kept on going 7/8||10/8 instead of going into the 4/4 section.  I'll listen to the first minute of Changes over and over.  I love the rest of the song too, but that would just be an EPIC instrumental.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #501 on: October 04, 2012, 09:50:42 PM »
I haven't posted any, but I've been following this thread on and off since the start. It's been a lot of fun to read and has increased my interest in Yes, thanks for doing it, Orbert!  :tup

You're welcome.

(I feel kinda silly responding to each, but it would be rude otherwise.)

Online The Letter M

Re: The Yes Discography: Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe (1989)
« Reply #502 on: January 29, 2013, 11:32:38 AM »
Even though I do enjoy it enough to include in my personal Yes Discography, I don't really listen to it much. From 90125 to Talk, there's a peak of uninterest with ABWH that then goes back down as we approach Talk.

90125 > BG > ABWH < Union < Talk (< Keystudio)

There's a few MOMENTS on the album that I enjoy, but I've really not listened to it enough to really have a good grasp on every part of it. I should really revisit it sometime soon. I may go on a Yes-binge in the coming weeks as my Rush-binge is slowly slowing down (which I have been on since the beginning of June).

-Marc.

So I have been on a HUUUUUGE Yes binge lately, listening to ALL of their albums at some point in the last 4 weeks, and I came to revisit this album earlier this week as I've jumped around the band's discography.

I'll have to say, I don't think I rate ABWH as low as I used to. There's some pretty good material on there, and I think I quite enjoy it a bit more now, even with the unusual "Teakbois". It's on par with the likes of BG, Union and Talk, but still not as great as 90125 (which I still hold pretty highly).

I also threw in "Vultures In The City", a single B-Side from the ABWH sessions, into my iPod playlist and shuffled around the songs a bit.

Themes
Fist Of Fire
Vultures In The City

Brother Of Mine
Birthright

Quartet
Teakbois

The Meeting
Order Of The Universe
Let's Pretend

I separated them as a mock-vinyl track list, where each side is about 15-17 minutes long. It's a good 65 minutes of music, and not as horrible as I recall. I think I shall enjoy it more and more as time goes by.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #503 on: January 29, 2013, 01:55:48 PM »
I think with a lot of the later stuff, if it's perceived as weaker than earlier Yes or Yes from the main sequence, it's because of what's missing, not because of what it is.  With the 80's stuff, a lot of Yesfans complained that it just wasn't the same without Steve and/or Rick.  Drama wasn't Yes because Jon wasn't there.  The Ladder wasn't great without Rick.  And so on.

With ABWH, we realized how important Chris Squire is to the Yes sound, because he's not there.  Without his bi-amped "lead bass" filling the bottom end, it comes across as "Yes lite".  But as time goes by, and more perspective is gained, ABWH doesn't stick out so badly.  It's just another version of Yes, another lineup variation.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #504 on: January 29, 2013, 02:43:34 PM »
I think with a lot of the later stuff, if it's perceived as weaker than earlier Yes or Yes from the main sequence, it's because of what's missing, not because of what it is.  With the 80's stuff, a lot of Yesfans complained that it just wasn't the same without Steve and/or Rick.  Drama wasn't Yes because Jon wasn't there.  The Ladder wasn't great without Rick.  And so on.

With ABWH, we realized how important Chris Squire is to the Yes sound, because he's not there.  Without his bi-amped "lead bass" filling the bottom end, it comes across as "Yes lite".  But as time goes by, and more perspective is gained, ABWH doesn't stick out so badly.  It's just another version of Yes, another lineup variation.

Good point - especially about how the absence of Squire can be felt/heard in ABWH. In that regard, even Union is more Yes than ABWH was, despite having the return of Bruford, Wakeman and Howe. And really, it was as far from the same band that made Fragile/Close To The Edge as the Rabin-led Yes was from any other version of Yes prior to 1981. But you're right, it was just another version/variation of Yes, whether or not people count it as such - but Jon wanted to make new Yes music, with 3 other former Yes members, so it's more Yes than some might think the Rabin-led Yes was, even though that band had Squire and White, as well as Kaye (a former Yesman). Both versions of Yes had 4 members of Yes who were previously Yesmen prior to 1981, so really, by members alone, both were equally Yes!

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The Yes Discography
« Reply #505 on: June 30, 2015, 06:20:57 PM »
Hard to believe this thread was done over 2 1/2 years ago :eek :eek :eek, but it was cool to read through it in one shot given what happened earlier this week.

Orbert, once again, great job! :hat

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #506 on: June 30, 2015, 07:09:31 PM »
Thanks.  I've actually been meaning to come back to this thread and add the latest studio album Heaven and Earth, and also at least attempt to cover Progeny: Seven Shows from Seventy-Two.

I noticed that all of the images were gone, as they were "hosted" on Facebook.  Facebook likes to rotate the links and addresses, probably just so people don't do exactly what I did.  I've re-downloaded all of them and re-uploaded them to imgur, and am in the process of updating all the links.  Quite a task, but I'm working my way through it.  Once that's done, I'll add the next couple of entries.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #507 on: June 30, 2015, 08:21:49 PM »
Sweet! More Yes discussion is alway good. :hat

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #508 on: June 30, 2015, 08:47:41 PM »
Okay, the images are all live now; no more broken links.  That's particularly important with Yes because their album covers are legendary.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #509 on: June 30, 2015, 10:56:43 PM »
True that man.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #510 on: July 01, 2015, 05:40:26 PM »
I think the Relayer and Tales covers are the most visually striking, with Close to the Edge just a hair behind them.  I remember the first time listening to the title track of Close to the Edge and thinking that the intro went so well with the cover.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #511 on: July 01, 2015, 05:43:22 PM »
(Not the cover, the inner gatefold.  Unless you really mean the plain green cover.)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #512 on: July 01, 2015, 05:44:43 PM »
You are correct, sir. :hat

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #513 on: July 03, 2015, 04:38:36 PM »
So, I've listened to a ton of Yes this week, and it's still hard for me to rank the least best albums in any order since they all kind of bunch together down there, but my updated top 10 looks like this:

1. Close to the Edge
2. Fragile
3. The Yes Album
4. Relayer
5. Talk
6. 90125
7. Tales from Topographic Oceans
8. Big Generator
9. Drama
10. Going for the One

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #514 on: July 03, 2015, 04:50:39 PM »
Hard to argue with that.  Mine's different, of course, but every one of those albums is great.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #515 on: July 03, 2015, 04:58:09 PM »
For sure.  Some new random thoughts:

-I still can't get over what a train wreck The Ancient is.  As great as the last six minutes are, the first 12 are a total mess.  I am glad I used Audacity to make the Leaves of Green its own song so I can put that mp3 on my ultimate Yes CD for the car.

-Fragile features arguably the greatest bass playing collectively ever heard on a rock record.

-I still like The Ladder more than most, but not as much as I used to.  I still like all of it, except for If Only You Knew, but Homeworld, The Messenger and Nine Voices are the only songs I am going for from it when randomly playing Yes.

-The overall sound of Going for the One is still irksome.  Where is the low end??  I'd probably like Awaken a lot more if the studio version wasn't so emasculated by the sound of that record.

-Top 3 Yes songs are probably And You and I, Starship Trooper and Gates of Delirium.

-It is still a shame that Trevor Rabin and Rick Wakeman never got to work together on a Yes record.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #516 on: July 03, 2015, 08:53:07 PM »
GFTO has been my favorite Yes album for a long time...but I was trying to crank it for my son the other day, and it really stuck out at me for the first time just how BAD that album sounds.   I thought it was just a cheap vinyl pressing problem when I first heard the album...but listening to the CD for a first time in awhile made me realize that it's really just a fault of production.    Not only is there no low end, but the high end is piercing and Howe's guitar has an awful "clanging" quality to it.    The music is among the best they ever wrote in their history...but it's truly an awful recording. 

I wonder if SW is going to do a total remix, and if so, will he be able to re-EQ it as well?   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #517 on: July 03, 2015, 09:32:22 PM »
I would love a complete remix. I really want to listen to GFTO more and hear what you guys praise about it, but it's one of the few albums that is made unlistenable for me by the production. It's so piercing.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online Mladen

« Reply #518 on: July 04, 2015, 04:35:18 AM »
I actually haven't listened to all of them, I skipped the 80s Yes as well as some 90s material. From what I've heard, the top 10 would probably look something like this:

1. Close to the edge
2. Fragile
3. Relayer
4. Drama
5. Tales from topographic oceans
6. The Ladder
7. The Yes album
8. Magnification
9. Going for the one
10. Fly from here

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #519 on: July 04, 2015, 06:03:50 AM »
I would love a complete remix. I really want to listen to GFTO more and hear what you guys praise about it, but it's one of the few albums that is made unlistenable for me by the production. It's so piercing.
I actually tried listening to that CD the other day and stopped about halfway through for that very reason.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #520 on: July 04, 2015, 09:20:11 AM »
I'd be curious as to what fans think is the best live version of Awaken.  I tried giving the Keys version a whirl, but it was pretty painful and I had to shut it off after six minutes.  Jon Anderson really struggled with the singing, and some of the musical transitions were really clunky, almost like the music dipped down for a second or two while whoever was taking the lead had to remember what to play next Very bizarre.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Yes: Heaven & Earth (2014)
« Reply #521 on: July 13, 2015, 09:55:34 PM »
Heaven & Earth (2014)

Jon Davison - Vocals, Acoustic Guitar
Geoff Downes - Keyboards
Steve Howe - Guitars, Vocals
Chris Squire - Bass, Vocals
Alan White - Drums

Believe Again  (Davison, Howe)  8:02
The Game  (Squire, Davison, Johnson)  6:51
Step Beyond  (Howe, Davison)  5:34
To Ascend  (Davison, White)  4:43
In a World of Our Own  (Davison, Squire)  5:20
Light of the Ages  (Davison)  7:41
It Was All We Knew  (Howe)  4:13
Subway Walls  (Davison, Downes)  9:03

----------

Touring for the 2011 album Fly From Here was interrupted when lead singer Benoit David contracted a respiratory infection.  In January 2012, Chris Squire announced that he had been replaced by Jon Davison, lead singer from Glass Hammer.  In typical Yes fashion, the transition was handled poorly, with Benoit only finding out that he had been replaced when he heard the interview with Chris on the radio.  Jon Davison was recommended to Chris via a mutual friend, drummer Taylor Hawkins of Foo Fighters.  Jon was brought up to speed, Yes completed the tour with Jon, and he has been the lead singer ever since.

In 2013, Yes was one of the key bands featured on the "Cruise to the Edge" series, a cooperative endeavor between Norwegian Cruise Lines and Yes, along with several other prog bands.  The 2013 setlist included the albums Close to the Edge and The Yes Album, each played in their entirety and in original track order.  They followed this with the "Three Album Tour", adding the album Going for the One also played in its entirety and in order.

In early 2014, Yes announced that they were back in the studio working on a new album, and Heaven and Earth was released in July 2014.

I'll be blunt: I struggle to get through this album.  It all sounds great; production values are terrific, there's none of the horrible compression and artificial loudness which plagues most modern recordings, and the playing is all excellent.  Jon Davison sounds very much like Jon Anderson did in the 70's, with just a bit of Trevor Horn, and his voice blends with Chris Squire's and Steve Howe's very nicely.  But this is easily the most boring, the most bland Yes album of all.  Open Your Eyes doesn't have the fire of 70's Yes, but even though the songs are all pretty standard, almost pop songs, they're delivered with an energy and fire.  Steve Howe is in full form.  Alan White has to be held back.  Chris Squire owns the lower end, as always.  Magnification is mellow, but it's different, the arrangements are inspired, and the orchestra adds some punch.

Here, despite the core of Howe, Squire, and White, along with now-veteran Geoff Downes on keys, there's none of the fire.  The band doesn't sound tired; they just sound like they're content to play adult contemporary "light rock" now.  Lots of Jon Davison's acoustic strumming, lots of the trademark Yes three-part vocal harmonies.  It sounds great.  And I'm sorry, but it's really, really boring.

This is particularly disappointing because the band had spent most of the past two years playing Yes albums from the 70's in their entirety, and many had hoped that the new album would reflect some of the "old Yes".  The adventure, the energy, the prog.  The band was quoted throughout the process, saying how exciting it was to be recording new music, especially with Jon, who is a gifted song writer.  His former band Glass Hammer is often cited as one of the better, more underrated new prog bands.  Jon Davison wrote or co-wrote seven of the eight tracks here.

The longer track times seem to hint that the songs at least go through a few changes, maybe even a few instrumental passages.  This is Yes, after all.  Instead, the songs are longer because they simply going on forever, repeating their wonderful choruses over and over again.  There are no genuine uptempo tracks.  Everything is medium-tempo and mellow.  The closest thing to an actual, catchy song is probably "Step Beyond", which has a bouncing, lilting synth hook throughout.  I personally find it kind of catchy, but a lot of Yesfans find it annoying after a while.  "In a World of Our Own" starts off with a drum pattern with kicks and rim shots, and goes into a shuffle reminiscent of the acoustic version of "Roundabout" (if you've never heard it, well, you're not really missing anything), but the song itself never goes anywhere.  That's it.  It's a shuffle.  Variety!

The final track, "Subway Walls" is the strongest track and the only track even approaching prog.  It starts promisingly, with a keyboard orchestral section (think "Man in a White Car" from Drama, only more developed) and goes into a reasonably interesting song complete with a breakdown in some crazy time signature.  But it turns out that it's just 4/4 with some syncopation, a bit repetitive, and overall not nearly as clever as you'd first thought.  Then it comes back to the song and finishes up.  And that's the end of the album.

If "Subway Walls" had been the first track rather than the last, the album as a whole might have worked better.  It would have set the tone much better.  Grab people with the best track, one that eases you into the fact that this is an older, mellower Yes.  Instead, you sit through seven pretty bland tracks, and the payoff is minimal.

As I've said before, it's not that prog = good and pop = bad.  It's that this is Yes, and there is a certain expectation from musicians and songwriters of this caliber.  Especially when they talked about how the band has been "revitalized" by the new singer and how "exciting" this new music is.  When I hear this music and picture them playing it, I literally imagine a bunch of old men sitting on someone's porch in rocking chairs, strumming guitars and singing in nice, three-part harmony.  Alan is nearby, beating on some boxes with his drum sticks, and Geoff, inexplicably, has seven or eight keyboards all plugged in somewhere, even though they all sound the same.

----------

I struggled to write this, just as I struggled to get through the album.  I struggled to find anything positive to say about it, other than that it sounds really great.  But I felt like I'd started this whole thing rolling, The Yes Discography, and that meant an implied obligation to continue it when more albums came out.  This is a Yes album, their twenty-first studio album.  I bought it on release day, so excited to have new Yes.  And even if I wasn't expecting another Close to the Edge, I was not expecting... this.  I want to say that they sound tired, but that's not it at all.  They don't sound tired; they sound like this slow, mellow stuff is exactly what they want it to be.  This is the album they wanted to make.  If, back in the 70's, you'd been asked to imagine what they would sound like 30-some years later, if they were still around, I suppose you might guess it would sound like this.  They've slowed down.  This is what's comfortable to them now.

And of course, Chris Squire died of leukemia on June 27, 2015.  His condition had only been announced to the public on May 19, so even if it was not entirely surprising, it was still a shock to many.  Longtime collaborator and former Yesman Billy Sherwood was Chris' choice to replace him for the upcoming tour, which begins on August 7 of this year.  It will be the first time Yes has taken the stage without Chris Squire, and Chris is the only person to have played on all 21 Yes studio albums.

At this time, the future of Yes is uncertain.  They will likely make a decision following the upcoming tour.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 10:01:12 PM by Orbert »

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
Re: The Yes Discography: Heaven & Earth (2014)
« Reply #522 on: July 13, 2015, 11:54:10 PM »
Sadly, my opinion on Heaven And Earth hasn't changed. It is, to me, one of the most boring albums they've ever released, (and may very well be the most boring) and that saddens me because I quite liked Fly From Here. There's some good moments in Believe Again and Subway Walls, and I have trouble just remembering those. At its best (and especially with Jon Davison singing), it sounds like a recent Glass Hammer album, who themselves always seem to be trying to be Yes but come off as a much weaker version. Basically, on Heaven And Earth, Yes sound like a lite imitation of themselves. The comparison is so strong to me that I wonder how much of an influence Davison had in writing this. He's not the leader of Glass Hammer by any stretch, but still.

And like you said, it sounds good. The production is great. And you have the nice Roger Dean album art with the traditional Yes logo and everything. It's just sad to me that this might be what they go out on if Chris Squire's death causes them to retire the band after the current tour.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #523 on: July 14, 2015, 02:46:29 AM »
I really need to read this thread from the top. 2,5 years ago I wasn't into Yes at all, but now they're among my favorite bands of all time. Should be an interesting thread!
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Online Mladen

« Reply #524 on: July 14, 2015, 03:45:38 AM »
I'll try to listen to this album again one of these days, but I find it very confusing. None of it is bad - the songs are melodic, fairly memorable, there isn't a single song I would call terrible. It's just that the overall sound and mood of the album is too light, silent, calm, there's no punch, no energy, and therefore it can get kind of boring, unexciting and underwhelming. Nothing about it really grabs me.