Author Topic: The Number of the Beast voted best british album of the last 60 years.  (Read 5599 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I'd have gone with PoM, personally.

My favorite Maiden album also.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
I'm surprised, yet very glad to see Maiden and Depeche Mode do so well in such a poll. 

Where the hell is Radiohead, though? 

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
I don't like any of those except Floyd and Depeche Mode. I love Iron Maiden, but NotB is pretty meh. Atrocious top 10.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
I know from personal experience that Maiden fans can raid internet polls pretty rabidly.  I was in the Maiden fan club for a while, and there was some random battle-of-the-albums type contest on some random website, with Powerslave being a contender.  Even though it was an arbitrary contest, it was taken very seriously on the fan club forum.  I remember when Powerslave went up against Moving Pictures, and Rush was kicking Maiden's ass in the poll, so Maiden fan club members started voting repeatedly to ensure they wouldn't lose.  One guy voted for Powerslave more than a hundred times. 

I realize that this kind of cheating probably isn't possible on Facebook, but I still doubt that this result came about without Maiden's entire Facebook community shouting 'UP THE IRONS' and rushing to cast their vote. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
As much as I like Number Of The Beast (it is a good album), It surprises me greatly that DSofM isn't 1st (then again, I bloody love that album).
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
TDSOTM > Any Maiden album

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
No.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline bundy

I am guessing a Maiden fan site somewhere caught wind of this and got tons of their fans to vote, since there is no way any album of theirs would finish ahead of Dark Side or any of those Beatles album in a general population vote.

This.

Good to see some recognition for the Irons although NOTB isn't even the best IM album let alone the greatest British album of the past 60 years (That is Close to the Edge IMHO).

All up for an online poll with the demographics someone posted elsewhere in the thread it's not a bad list apart from Adele and Oasis. Surprised there's no Bowie, Elton or Stones on the list though.

Ten is a pretty small number though  ;)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Not sure about the Adele hate.  She's fantastic.

No one here is saying otherwise, but there's a long way from being fantastic to having an album in the top 10 from the last 60 years.
That's what I would say about Number of the Beast.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline tartarus250

• peace love and good happyness stuff
The creation and destruction of harmonic and 'statistical' tensions is essential to the maintenance of compositional drama. Any composition (or improvisation) which remains consonant and 'regular' throughout is, for me, equivalent to watching a movie with only 'good guys' in it, or eating cottage cheese.

Offline The Ugliest Unicorn

• More than a horse

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
I'm surprised OK Computer's not here...

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
TDSOTM > Any Maiden album
As much as I love Maiden, this is a fact.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Comparing Maiden and DTSOM just isn't a fair fight.  Number of the Beast is a great album, Dark Side is one of the few widely recognized works of art in rock history, big fucking difference.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)

Offline jag66

Not a terrible list considering it's HMV.

But yeh as ppl have said, where the fook are Radiohead!

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
NotB is great, but there are so many albums from IM that are a million times better.

Oh, and TDSOTM > NOTB.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!