Author Topic: The Iran Discussion Thread  (Read 7528 times)

Offline igotrhythm

The Iran Discussion Thread
« on: May 25, 2012, 10:36:40 AM »
Since there's a thread to discuss Israel, why not Iran? Personally I think Iran is a beautiful place full of wonderful and really nice people, and I would hate to see Israel or the United States bomb it. If you've ever met an Iranian you will probably back me up in saying that, just like Israelis and Americans, they are not accurately represented by their government. Relevant images: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.430742876953443.113468.400704776623920&type=1 How could you bomb that?

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
Re: The Iran Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 11:03:41 AM »
Since there's a thread to discuss Israel, why not Iran? Personally I think Iran is a beautiful place full of wonderful and really nice people, and I would hate to see Israel or the United States bomb it. If you've ever met an Iranian you will probably back me up in saying that, just like Israelis and Americans, they are not accurately represented by their government. Relevant images: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.430742876953443.113468.400704776623920&type=1 How could you bomb that?
I think the Americans and Israelis have more of a problem with the governing body than the Iranian people. I'm sure the civilians are nice and wonderful, but the leaders sure don't reflect that particular mindset over the last few years.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 11:16:27 AM »
I read an interesting AMO thread a while back about a couple who took their vacation in Iran.  Thought it was a wonderful place.  While RMV's opinion is absolutely correct, the same applies to the Iranians.  They think Americans are cool as shit.  It's America they don't care for.  Given how little tourism they get over there, they treated this couple like royalty.  As long as you're mindful of their customs and don't do anything that might be construed as espionage, they're awesome hosts. 

And then there's that whole cradle of civilization thing.  And unlike Iraq, they've still got plenty of historical artifacts to see.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 11:54:32 AM »
Israel doesn't give an actual damn about Iran. They use it as a means of avoiding doing anything of value and keeping their people united against a common "threat" in order to stay in power. An actual war will screw that up, which is why they're all talk.

Also, Iran looks quite nice. Sucks they'd arrest me if I ever tried to enter the country.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 12:02:35 PM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 02:41:22 PM »
I have no problem with Iran the country. My problem is with their president and Ayatollah Khomeini (sp?). Same problem I have with North Korea and their Kim cult.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 02:43:58 PM »
I have no problem with Iran the country. My problem is with their president and Ayatollah Khomeini (sp?). Same problem I have with North Korea and their Kim cult.

How dare you insult dear leader!
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 02:56:17 PM »
What can I say? I'm a rebel.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 06:32:56 PM »
Khomeini was the first Ayatollah of Iran.  Currently it's Ayatollah Khamenei.

Also, I'm not sure that the religious government is the problem with Iran, insomuch as the secular one.  My hunch is that they'll be happy to be rid of Mahmoud, and they'll likely arrange a more popular and reasonable replacement.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 06:39:40 PM »
The worst thing ahmadoojaninja did was make an idiot of himself any time he was given the opportunity. I don't think he has a great deal of actual power over the country.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 06:46:25 PM »
Actually he's done when he opposed challengingly to the west. Seems like a hero at his country but seems like an idiot for everyone else. His foreign policy is what Iraq doesn't need now.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2012, 04:56:41 AM »
Khomeini was the first Ayatollah of Iran.  Currently it's Ayatollah Khamenei.

Also, I'm not sure that the religious government is the problem with Iran, insomuch as the secular one.  My hunch is that they'll be happy to be rid of Mahmoud, and they'll likely arrange a more popular and reasonable replacement.

Well whatever, you knew who I meant anyway. But yeah, I agree that the secular gov't probably has more real power, but the religious government I think provides pretext for the aggressiveness of the former, the "manifest destiny" type thing.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2012, 09:26:15 AM »
You questioned your spelling and I explained it.

But I think your description of the clerical side of Iran is pretty solid.  The manifest destiny thing seems apt.  I recall that after Mahmoud's alleged reelection, they said a couple of thing implying that it was Allah's divine will.  I get the impression that they would have preferred he lost, but kind of had to back him up.  Still, I'm not entirely sure where the day to day power rests.  People seem sort of split on that.  I know that the assembly of experts vets the potential candidates, which is why people say they're really in charge, and that might be the case, but I'm not sure how much they pull the strings after they get their guy in. 

Really, I've always considered their system fascinating.  While there are some aspects that really don't seem all that fair, it really does seem a pretty good attempt at merging a theocracy and a democracy.  Considering that the fairness issues with their system are largely the same as what we're stuck with, I'd say they've done alright.
E.F. Benson

Offline Rathma

• oh no she didnt
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2012, 04:51:05 PM »

I personally don't think Iran is comparable to North Korea. Iran actually has a democratic political process. I don't know that any government in the history of human kind is as insane as North Korea's. 

Offline adace

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2012, 02:25:32 AM »

I personally don't think Iran is comparable to North Korea. Iran actually has a democratic political process. I don't know that any government in the history of human kind is as insane as North Korea's.
It's true that Iran isn't as repressive as NK, but I wouldn't say that it's democratic. Ultimate power in Iran rests with the Ayatollah and his conservative clique of jurists (Guardian Council, all unelected officials). Plus, the constitution is based on a narrow, fundamentalist (for lack of a better term) interpretation of Shi'a Islam. The lack of religious freedom in Iran is probably the single biggest flaw of Iran's "democracy." For example, members of the Baha'i community along with atheists and other minorities are routinely persecuted. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_religion_in_Iran As far electoral corruption/irregularities goes, it was probably not as severe as the opposition claimed it was during the 2009 presidential election nor is it likely that it was enough to have swayed the vote in Mousavi's favor. At the same time,  there was clearly vote rigging a la Putin's Russia as well as violence/intimidation by hardliner thugs. Basically, Iran has a sham democracy. Iran is a theocracy first and foremost.
Also, I can think of several examples of insane govs that rival or possibly exceed NK in terms of their complete insanity: Rome under Caligula, Libya under Gaddafi, France under Louis XVI
Here are some more: https://listverse.com/2010/10/14/top-10-truly-insane-rulers/

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2012, 01:51:47 PM »
You're all forgetting that each and every single person you're talking about has an interest in staying in power. Using a nuclear weapon is a sure fire way to ensure you're incinerated to fucking dust within the hour. The reason any of these countries wants nukes is because it puts them at a special talking table. You can't invade a country with nukes, you can't start a war with them, and you have to respect them, more or less. Humans are the same war-mongering people we've always been, but we haven't directly attacked Russia, even though if there wasn't the possibility of nuclear holocaust, we probably wouldve been at war with them in the 1950's.

I really don't fear any established government getting nuclear weapons. And for those of you who are afraid of the nuclear material and the possibilities of it falling into terrorist hands, you should be much more worried about Pakistan than either North Korea or Iran.

Offline adace

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2012, 08:15:52 PM »
You're all forgetting that each and every single person you're talking about has an interest in staying in power. Using a nuclear weapon is a sure fire way to ensure you're incinerated to fucking dust within the hour. The reason any of these countries wants nukes is because it puts them at a special talking table. You can't invade a country with nukes, you can't start a war with them, and you have to respect them, more or less. Humans are the same war-mongering people we've always been, but we haven't directly attacked Russia, even though if there wasn't the possibility of nuclear holocaust, we probably wouldve been at war with them in the 1950's.

I really don't fear any established government getting nuclear weapons. And for those of you who are afraid of the nuclear material and the possibilities of it falling into terrorist hands, you should be much more worried about Pakistan than either North Korea or Iran.
I agree with all your points. NK's nuclear program is pretty much a joke compared to its nuclear counterparts and there is no solid evidence yet that Iran is building nukes. As for Pakistan, we all know that the ISI is extremely corrupt and full of terrorist sympathizers and/or opportunists who have no qualms with selling nukes to terrorists. Despite all the money and resources the U.S. is sending to Pakistan to prevent the illegal sale of nukes, all it takes is a handful of government insiders to steal the technology and hand it over to terrorists. I don't think either of us wishes to fear-monger, but this is a very worrisome situation. The best thing to do would be to just destroy every nuke in existence and make sure no new ones are built.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2012, 08:41:04 PM »
The best thing to do would be to just destroy every nuke in existence and make sure no new ones are built.

Perhaps, but there's no way that's going to happen. Not unless there becomes one world government in control of it all. America and Russia can probably continue to disarm nuclear weapons, but that's because we have way way way more than we ever need. No country is ever going to trust the other country to destroy all their nuclear weapons, and considering the stakes, they'd be stupid to, imo.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2012, 08:49:28 PM »
Yeah, rational actor or not, someone would have to be really stupid to trust another country enough to completely disarm. That's why there's only like one country in the history of mankind that has done so.

Offline adace

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2012, 11:35:36 PM »
Well I guess both arming and disarming are stupid lol. International relations is kind of a Catch-22 situation.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2012, 05:40:10 AM »
Cooperation and management are pretty much the only way. And making sure no new countries get 'em.

Offline Bill Carson

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2012, 09:31:47 AM »
Always makes me laugh when people debate nuclear weapons, who has them, intentions etc
There's only one country that has ever used a nuclear weapon.....maybe everyone should stop and think about that.

Offline phantom

• Turn the key, walk through the gate...
  • Another Bootlegs Maniac
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2012, 12:59:29 PM »
Israel doesn't give an actual damn about Iran. They use it as a means of avoiding doing anything of value and keeping their people united against a common "threat" in order to stay in power. An actual war will screw that up, which is why they're all talk.

Also, Iran looks quite nice. Sucks they'd arrest me if I ever tried to enter the country.

Don't give a damn about Iran? I think that's far from reality.
Iran is a real threat to deal with, no matter what weapons they have.
They don't need a nuclear bomb when they can operate through organizations like Hamas and Hezbollah.
And those two have done much damage to the Israeli population in the past decades.
The Iranian aid (both economically and militarily) keeps these two terrorist organizations alive and kicking.
So, I think this is enough to call Iran a dangerous (and growing) threat to Israel rather than a politician's asset.

The Dreams & The Bricks

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2012, 02:01:55 PM »
There's only one country that has ever used a nuclear weapon.....maybe everyone should stop and think about that.

I don't want to make it out as if I defend the use of nuclear weapons (I mean, if all thing went my way, there'd be no war in the first place), but I think there's a practical, post facto defense of the using nuclear weapons to end the Pacific Front of WWII. Death tolls would almost have definitely been higher, especially for Japanese citizens, had the war continued. We can't pretend as if the alternatives were any better, as evil and horrible as Nagasaki and Hiroshima are, they're probably a pragmatically less evil options, at that point in the War.

The human imagination can be pretty good, but it's far, far from perfect. There's a power in actually being able to see something in person. Nuclear weapons are as much a psychological weapon as much as anything. Carpet Bombing cities, and bombing something slowly, can lead to more deaths, but it doesn't let you see the entire effects of that at one go. Actually using the weapons, made humanity actually see the consequences. I'm not so sure that if nuclear weapons hadn't been used in Japan, they wouldn't have been used at some point between the USSR and the USA.

I don't think it's fair to blame the US for the results of WWII. And who do you blame exactly for WWII? Best answer I can come up with, is just humanity.

So ya, to tie all of that in with this thread, I really don't get the fear-mongering over Iran.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2012, 03:12:00 PM »

They don't need a nuclear bomb when they can operate through organizations like Hamas and Hezbollah.
And those two have done much damage to the Israeli population in the past decades.
The Iranian aid (both economically and militarily) keeps these two terrorist organizations alive and kicking.
So, I think this is enough to call Iran a dangerous (and growing) threat to Israel rather than a politician's asset.
You've got a couple of problems there.  For one thing, Hezbollah and Hamas both make tons of money on their own.  As I understand it drug dealing and counterfeiting are both fairly lucrative for them.  Then throw in the fact that private citizens make up a huge chunk of their cash flow, as well.  You throw 68˘ into the Salvation Army cauldron come Christmas time, they do the same with the Hamas bucket.  Next is the fact that pretty much every Arab country donates money to such causes because it's a cause celebre with their citizenry.  The only difference is that we're in bed with Saudi Arabia and currently slagging Iran, so we only consider it a problem when the latter does it.  Lastly is the notion that we all contribute to terrorism all the time.  No point debating whether or not our current foreign policies count as such, but leaving that aside, we and Israel are perfectly happy to bankroll known terrorist outfits that share our common enemies; coincidentally Iran. 

Quite frankly, I don't consider token handouts to Hamas and Hezbollah to be all that significant in pronouncing people a threat.  Particularly when you've got plenty of other countries openly waging war.
E.F. Benson

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2012, 04:36:52 PM »
I will say in his defense that Iran contributes more than moolah to H 'n H, and that's one of the reasons Iranian nukes do concern me.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2012, 04:52:00 PM »
I will say in his defense that Iran contributes more than moolah to H 'n H, and that's one of the reasons Iranian nukes do concern me.
You mean like Chinese anti-shipping missiles?  I thought they actually put those to pretty good use.  :lol

Doesn't matter, though.  Nukes are a whole different breed of animal.  People who possess them usually have a very strong interest in keeping close tabs on them.  Furthermore, they'd be easily traced back to the country that enriched the material, and in Iran's case, they're one of the few that we'd happily hold responsible for their irresponsible use. 
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2012, 06:52:28 PM »

Sorry, I should clarify. Israel doesn't give a damn about Iran and their supposed nuclear weapons. Obviously Iran is a threat, but not with nukes. The nuke issue is just a way to keep idiots like bibi in power.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline phantom

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2012, 02:23:22 AM »

Sorry, I should clarify. Israel doesn't give a damn about Iran and their supposed nuclear weapons. Obviously Iran is a threat, but not with nukes. The nuke issue is just a way to keep idiots like bibi in power.

Let me be even more clear about Iran.
Ahmadinejad's government is a threat because destroying Israel is one of their principles. As simple as that.
The issue of how they want to do it, is something different and more complex.
It's needless to say what are the risks of using unconventional weapons, so I won't expand this.
Now, you called Bibi an idiot, even though he's actually the only Israeli prime minister to actually complete his full term (if I'm not wrong) in the past decade(!).
So, you gotta have some wits for pulling this, don't you think? Specially in such an unstable situation as the one there.
No matter what tricks he used, that is an achievement for him and his party. And he's likely to win next year's elections as well.

The Dreams & The Bricks

Offline Bill Carson

« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2012, 02:47:50 AM »
By that rationale I could then say that one of Israels "principles" is to destroy the Palestinian people - does that not then make them a threat ??

Offline phantom

« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2012, 03:23:24 AM »
By that rationale I could then say that one of Israels "principles" is to destroy the Palestinian people - does that not then make them a threat ??

Destroy the Palestinians? Israel's principles are about life rather than death and destruction.
Let me enlighten you a little bit:

No "Palestinian" people has existed in recorded history - they are Arab speaking Muslims without history or origins in Israel.
Second, no "Palestinian" state has existed in recorded history.
Third - international law's definition of occupation is that State A conquers State B's territory as a result of war.
Since no "Palestinian" state or people have ever existed in recorded human history, there can be no "occupation" either.
The land that is in dispute happens to belong to Israel and Jews have lived there for 4000 years.
And that is not an opinion - that's a fact. Israel hasn't annexed the land yet, but Israel is still the historical owner of the land and also the legal owner of the land according to the Balfour Declaration, San Remo treaty of 1920 and the Anglo-American treaty signed 3rd of December 1924 in London UK where the stipulated borders of the Jewish state were confirmed and agreed upon - including Cis-Jordan, Trans-Jordan and southern Lebanon up until the bend of the Litani river.

So who's destroying who?

The Dreams & The Bricks

Offline Bill Carson

« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2012, 03:40:45 AM »
Man listen to yourself, funny how you rely on a treaty that was written up by the British in 1920 ! What do you think was happening before that.
Its sickening how people use their so called "facts" to divide people and justify murder.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2012, 05:07:09 AM »
Come on now Bill, facts are indeed facts. And the fact is that there are Israelis in the land and a State of Israel, and Palestinians in the land and a State of Palestine that's just waiting to happen. Criticize Israel all you want, but that's a fact you can't change, so we're all just going to have to get used to it.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2012, 08:03:45 AM »

Ahmadinejad's government is a threat because destroying Israel is one of their principles. As simple as that.
I don't think that's the case at all.  Mahmoud's been pretty clear that he doesn't recognize Israel's right to exist, which isn't an unreasonable stance to take.  I'm not familiar with any actual threats. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2012, 08:48:09 AM »
I think it is for the reasons I've already adduced.

Offline phantom

« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2012, 08:51:48 AM »

I don't think that's the case at all.  Mahmoud's been pretty clear that he doesn't recognize Israel's right to exist, which isn't an unreasonable stance to take.  I'm not familiar with any actual threats.

I've found different sources that do mention Iran's explicit threats towards Israel:
Below are a few of them:

Khamenei said this: “The Zionist regime is a cancerous tumor and it will be removed.”

On October 26, 2005, IRIB News, an English-language subsidiary of the state-controlled Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting (IRIB), filed a story on Ahmadinejad's speech to the "World Without Zionism" conference in Tehran, entitled: Ahmadinejad: Israel must be wiped off the map. The story was picked up by Western news agencies and quickly made headlines around the world. On October 30, The New York Times published a full transcript of the speech in which Ahmadinejad was quoted as saying:

Our dear Imam (referring to Ayatollah Khomeini) said that the occupying regime must be wiped off the map and this was a very wise statement. We cannot compromise over the issue of Palestine. Is it possible to create a new front in the heart of an old front. This would be a defeat and whoever accepts the legitimacy of this regime has in fact, signed the defeat of the Islamic world. Our dear Imam targeted the heart of the world oppressor in his struggle, meaning the occupying regime. I have no doubt that the new wave that has started in Palestine, and we witness it in the Islamic world too, will eliminate this disgraceful stain from the Islamic world.

And one more:

In a public address on IRINN TV on June 2, 2008, Ahmadinejad stated:

The Zionist regime has lost its raison d'ętre. Today, the Palestinians identify with your name Khomeini, your memory, and in your path. They are walking in your illuminated path and the Zionist regime has reached a total dead end. Thanks to God, your wish will soon be realized, and this germ of corruption will be wiped off.

The Dreams & The Bricks