Author Topic: Pump and dump  (Read 1020 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Pump and dump
« on: May 26, 2012, 02:47:47 PM »
After Cracked's article this morning, I was reading about this guy.  He'd buy penny stocks, and then go online and tout them to everybody encouraging them to buy, then he'd sell his.  I don't get how this is illegal.  I get that he was artificially inflating the value of the stocks, but he wasn't doing anything to accomplish that other than telling people they should buy them.  I see no fraud in any of that.  Frankly, it should be up to the consumer to do diligent research and not buy penny stocks because some kid on the internet tells them to.  If we're to start prosecuting people for telling people a product is better than it is, then wouldn't that make every single person in commissioned sales a criminal? 

Anybody want to help me understand this better?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline jsem

Re: Pump and dump
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 03:26:57 PM »
Inb4 this thread is moved to P/R. I agree with you though.

But the idea of the illegality is to protect the investors so they don't get "scammed". I guess. Kinda, protecting them from themselves.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 03:40:00 PM »
Is it somewhat of a 'scam'? Sure.... However, I agree with you in that it is the individuals' responsibility to conduct sufficient research and make their own decisions. If people are dumb enough to invest only on the word of a stranger over the internet, then that's there loss.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 04:01:03 PM »
I don't see how it's a scam.  This sort of thing happens in retail all the time.  Ever seen a place that has going out of business sales every three months?  How bout those Franklin Mint assholes?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 04:10:43 PM »
Or how about all those commercials telling you, "Buy gold now!  It's going to skyrocket as the dollar plummets!".  Then a months/years later, they buy back your gold for pennies on the dollar only to repeat the cycle.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 04:53:18 PM »
I also don't see how this is illegal.

As someone who makes a living off trading stocks (among other things) its my job as a retail trader to do my research before buying. Buying because someone is telling me to buy is as foolish as someone telling me to hit at a blackjack table while I'm holding a 20.

Offline Cable

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 05:39:56 PM »
Inb4 this thread is moved to P/R. I agree with you though.

But the idea of the illegality is to protect the investors so they don't get "scammed". I guess. Kinda, protecting them from themselves.

Yup. In a way, it is close to false advertising.

Sure, it is not a Ponzi scheme, or fake stocks period. But it is selling something that is not actually as advertised.

And I do agree that buyers should do more homework. Think though how Ponzi and Madoff got the money, and just how many believed in Madoff. They probably advertised their options as quite legitimate...similar to penny stocks, just that those stocks are real.
---

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 06:14:05 PM »
False advertising is as American as apple pie, though.  You can't make patently untrue claims, but you can certainly mislead people about the value or importance of something.  What this kid did isn't any different than convincing somebody to buy 3 cans of Scotchguard for $500 by telling them that it'll protect the value of their new car; something that happens daily. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2012, 08:47:36 PM »
I thought for sure by the title that this thread was about one night stands.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2012, 08:51:15 PM »

No dumping in one night stands.  More like leaving the money on the dresser drawers.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2012, 08:54:11 PM »

I thought it was about a completely different practice (which still strikes me as undoable, even though I've never tried).

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2012, 09:23:18 PM »

I thought it was about a completely different practice (which still strikes me as undoable, even though I've never tried).

rumborak

Ah yes, the pump and dump, also known as the Mexican Halloween. A classic.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.