Author Topic: Did the spacey section in TCOT come from an LTE jam?  (Read 4118 times)

Offline darkshade

Did the spacey section in TCOT come from an LTE jam?
« on: May 16, 2012, 02:54:17 PM »
I'm listening to LTE Live in NYC from 2008, and during their performance of Rhapsody in Blue, they go into a short spacey section where a couple small melodies that are more prominent and embellished in The Count of Tuscany are played.

Could this be where they got the inspiration for that section? Is this a confirmed thing? Thoughts? Insight?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Did the spacey section in TCOT come from an LTE jam?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 03:20:22 PM »
If you're asking whether or not DT ripped off LTE, the answer is no. An interviewer asked JP the same question, he reported to have never even heard of that band. So it's probably just a coincidence.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 03:24:08 PM »
If you're asking whether or not DT ripped off LTE, the answer is no. An interviewer asked JP the same question, he reported to have never even heard of that band. So it's probably just a coincidence.
I wouldn't go that far. If you look at the structure (and I'll A/B this later for proof), you'll see that the spacey section in TCOT and the spacey section in this particular LTE live show are exactly the same. I don't see how that could possibly be a coincidence.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 03:45:22 PM »
I wouldn't go that far. If you look at the structure (and I'll A/B this later for proof), you'll see that the spacey section in TCOT and the spacey section in this particular LTE live show are exactly the same. I don't see how that could possibly be a coincidence.
Does it really matter? 3/4 of LTE are (or were) 3/5 of DT, so......who cares? :lol
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline lithium112

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 03:55:07 PM »

I totally agree. I guess if this is an intentional "nugget" that's pretty cool but if this is just DT's attempt to secretly rewrite the past then maybe not so much...

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 03:58:23 PM »
Am I the only one that kind of thought it was sarcasm in Adami's post. Of course JP has heard of LTE
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 03:59:52 PM »
I don't want to speak for Adami, but I believe we were both being quite sarcastic.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 04:02:07 PM »
I don't want to speak for Adami, but I believe we were both being quite sarcastic.
Thank God. I just didn't want to imagine you being serious about the whole thing, although it was pretty obvious Adami was being rather sarcastic with the JP LTE comment.  :lol
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 04:03:12 PM »
My sarcasm detector is faulty today... Too many trolls and "fans".  :P
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Online Adami

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 04:16:26 PM »
I've been told my sarcasm is dry in person, but really? I said JP had never heard of LTE.

Of course I wasn't being sarcastic.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline darkshade

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 04:49:32 PM »

So it seems that, yes, that little spacey section is what probably inspired JP, JR, and MP to conceive that section of TCOT?

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 06:14:49 PM »
Is it not obvious that I was taking a jab at the people who claim that ADTOE and I&W are structurally the same?

Offline TheKillingHand

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 07:17:19 PM »
Yep I always thought the same thing when I heard their Rhapsody spacey section.

Online Adami

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 07:23:28 PM »
This thread has failed miserably at reading sarcasm.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2012, 07:25:04 PM »
 :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2012, 07:28:02 PM »

I'm sorry, what was the question again?
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2012, 09:41:15 PM »
From the interview I did with MP back in August, 2009:
SH: Aside from the spacey interlude on The Count of Tuscany mirroring LTE’s version of Rhapsody in Blue –

MP: That’s true.

SH: – did the LTE shows have any affect on the writing and recording of Black Clounds and Silver Linings?

MP: No, other than what you just said! *laughs*  When we got to the middle of Count of Tuscany, I remember saying that we should have this really cool, spacey, Close to the Edge type of thing, and we had just done that with Rhapsody, and it was like “hey let’s try get something like that into a Dream Theater song.” But other than that particular example that you already cited, I don’t know if it had much influence.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2012, 10:17:23 PM »
Did they even have 4G when BCSL came out? I doubt there was any LTE involved.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2012, 01:40:49 AM »
This thread has failed miserably at reading sarcasm.

Hey, I got them both, but then I am English. It's our default mode.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2012, 08:18:43 AM »
I've been re-listening to both the LTE albums and it seems like there are parts that directly influenced the sound for both SFaM and SDoiT.  Actually, it really makes sense.  To me LTE has alot of improv, jamming elements to it.  So for them to use elements for "official" songs is a natural progression.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2012, 09:08:20 AM »
I think it's probably quite common for a lot of songs (not just some of the DT ones) to have evolved from jams. I remember reading somewhere that that's how Rush get ideas, and in one of the King Crimson Epitaph discs, there's an improv where Fripp plays this four note figure repeatedly (this is in a 1969 tour) that is instantly recogniseable as the mellotron figure from Exiles.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline lyfeternl

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2012, 09:31:51 AM »
Did they even have 4G when BCSL came out? I doubt there was any LTE involved.

rumborak

:clap:
"...the last is just a flurry of notes...so just do it and hope you don't suck..." - JP

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2012, 09:52:43 AM »

I totally agree. I guess if this is an intentional "nugget" that's pretty cool but if this is just DT's attempt to secretly rewrite the past then maybe not so much...
I there what you see did.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2012, 06:56:12 PM »
Mike Portnoy ‏@MikePortnoy
“@KalenJ88: Hey mike when can we expect the next Liquid Tension album? #rockon” IM READY...IT'S TIME...JP & JR KNOW MY PHONE NUMBER

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2012, 06:59:37 PM »
Mike Portnoy ‏@MikePortnoy
“@KalenJ88: Hey mike when can we expect the next Liquid Tension album? #rockon” IM READY...IT'S TIME...JP & JR KNOW MY PHONE NUMBER

"You know my name...look up the number..."

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2012, 09:17:18 PM »
LTE was Mike's project, wouldn't he have to call JR and JP?
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2012, 06:39:32 PM »
I think it's probably quite common for a lot of songs (not just some of the DT ones) to have evolved from jams. I remember reading somewhere that that's how Rush get ideas, and in one of the King Crimson Epitaph discs, there's an improv where Fripp plays this four note figure repeatedly (this is in a 1969 tour) that is instantly recogniseable as the mellotron figure from Exiles.

Led Zeppelin did that a lot too; whole songs had their origins in the extended jams of Dazed and Confused. It's actually pretty common,
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2012, 07:05:54 PM »
LTE was Mike's project, wouldn't he have to call JR and JP?
And with all due respect to someone like JP, he clearly asked JP after the people he actually wanted were all unavailable due to him wanting the project to be separate from DT. So JP being the catalyst for getting the band back together would be a surprise.