Author Topic: What is the least favorable characteristic of Christians?  (Read 8313 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: What is the least favorable characteristic of Christians?
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2012, 07:53:48 PM »
Least favorite thing: In my Astronomy class in my Lutheran High School, I got docked 10 points for saying the moon was 4.5 billion years old

According to google it's 4.527. I'd dock you too. Get it right!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2012, 10:56:12 PM »
When some Christians think non religious people are cold, immoral, live meaningless lives, ect.
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline the Catfishman

« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2012, 11:02:27 PM »
Just to add a small point; Christians who are say that the reason they are Christian is because it's the only true religion and makes more sense than other religions (or similar reasons)... while it is obvious that it's geographically and culturally determined that they are Christian and not Muslim or Buddhist.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2012, 12:39:42 AM »
while it is obvious that it's geographically and culturally determined that they are Christian and not Muslim or Buddhist.
Not always.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline the Catfishman

« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2012, 01:00:50 AM »
No not always, but I would say this counts for at least 99% of Christians in the western world.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 01:30:09 AM by the Catfishman »

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2012, 08:45:41 AM »
Yeah, that's a good one. I find it amazing how many believers are convinced their choice of religion was a conscious one. I think the only people who can really claim that are people who switched (e.g. to Islam).

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2012, 09:46:40 AM »
I agree with everything that has already been said.

Also:

I hate it when one group of Christians treat other groups of Christians like infidels if their exact beliefs don't coincide. 

I hate it when Christians know the text of the Bible inside out, but they don't know anything about Near East history or the history of the Roman Empire in which to place these texts in context, or anything about any kind of criticism whatsoever.

Basically, I'm OK with God, it's Christians I can't stand.

Yes I'm a Christian.  Although some Christians probably don't believe that.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Adami

« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2012, 09:53:01 AM »

I hate it when one group of Christians treat other groups of Christians like infidels if their exact beliefs don't coincide. 

You mean the way Catholics and Jehovahs Witnesses have largely been treated around here?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2012, 10:00:53 AM »
Basically, I'm OK with God, it's Christians I can't stand.

Isn't that what Gandhi said essentially?

rumborak

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2012, 10:03:37 AM »
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians."

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2012, 10:30:51 AM »

My one friend has a bigger beef with Catholics than he does with atheists.  It's really amusing.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2012, 11:43:22 AM »
The one that annoys me, is when Christians say they believe what they believe becuase the Bible is 100% Truth, and becuase Jesus filled all the prophecies the OT made, but when you dig deeper, one of the reason they think the Bible is 100% truth, and that Jesus fulfilled all the prophecies, is becuase of their faith.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2012, 11:50:00 AM »
The one that annoys me, is when Christians say they believe what they believe becuase the Bible is 100% Truth, and becuase Jesus filled all the prophecies the OT made, but when you dig deeper, one of the reason they think the Bible is 100% truth, and that Jesus fulfilled all the prophecies, is becuase of their faith.

Agreed.  Thinking those things are 100% truth is fine...when the explanation as to why is at least partially based on faith.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2012, 11:58:34 AM »
Well, faith is kind of the name of the game with believing in anything.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2012, 12:05:32 PM »

Not when I can observe it. 
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2012, 12:18:57 PM »
Nope. Certain things are readily apparent - that the sky is blue, that Natalie Portman has hair. There's no faith involved here. Other things are scientifically quantifiable, like gravity. We have a pretty thorough understanding of how gravity works, and we have equations that have proven reliable in that they have not failed us so far. That's a judgment call, but it's not faith, because there is strong evidence.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2012, 12:26:37 PM »
Nope. Certain things are readily apparent - that the sky is blue, that Natalie Portman has hair. There's no faith involved here. Other things are scientifically quantifiable, like gravity. We have a pretty thorough understanding of how gravity works, and we have equations that have proven reliable in that they have not failed us so far. That's a judgment call, but it's not faith, because there is strong evidence.

One may say that the subject of their faith also has strong evidence.  And there is evidence of certain things in christianity.  It is just the claims of things like being the son of god are the ones that are pretty much all faith.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2012, 03:18:34 PM »
The root of the problem is hell.

If I believed that anyone who didn't believe as I did would immeasurably suffer for all eternity, I'd be pushy about my beliefs and intolerant of sinful behaviors as well.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Online Adami

« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2012, 03:23:02 PM »
Thank heaven for religions that don't care if you believe what they believe or not.

also for little girls.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2012, 03:47:51 PM »
The root of the problem is hell.

If I believed that anyone who didn't believe as I did would immeasurably suffer for all eternity, I'd be pushy about my beliefs and intolerant of sinful behaviors as well.

Kinda hints at to what I was trying to say as well. If that's what you profess to believe then that's something you sure as shit better be acting on, otherwise stop acting like you care.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Ħ

« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2012, 04:15:37 PM »
Obviously, it's up to each individual to figure out what to believe for themselves. But if a person believes that all who don't come to X belief will suffer for eternity, can you blame them for being pushy?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2012, 07:26:55 PM »
Obviously, it's up to each individual to figure out what to believe for themselves. But if a person believes that all who don't come to X belief will suffer for eternity, can you blame them for being pushy?

I can tolerate it to a certain extent, but when it becomes apparent that they are the only religion that believes that non believers are going straight to hell and therefore it is their duty to "save them", and that pretty much every other form of spirituality doesn't really give a shit about what people outside of their faith believe , it becomes very annoying and obnoxious since from an objective point of view, there is nothing that makes Christianity "right" and every one else "wrong", not to mention the whole "It's for your own good" attitude comes off as extremely arrogant and condescending, and in actuality pushes more people away from Christianity then brings them into the faith.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2012, 09:51:03 PM »
I saw that on a bumper sticker once and I couldn't help but agree with it
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline wolfandwolfandwolf

• Gym Rat
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Really Scrappy Player
« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2012, 11:33:17 PM »
I dislike how Westerners use it as a political affiliation and not as a way of life, and what comes with it.

Example: "God does not like gay marriage, because it violates the sanctity of marriage and devalues marriage for all of the straight white couples.  But please, let's not talk about how the divorce rate in the church is actually higher than the divorce rate outside of it."

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2012, 05:57:09 AM »
Just to clarify he was talking to a specific person about specific Christians he met who as he describes pressured him hard, I think when he studied in England or possibly after in S.Africa.

If it was a generalization then he (and the rest of us) could equally say "I like your Christ, I do not like humans" because humans are imperfect and inevitably let you down sometimes either through their fault or are own.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2012, 06:08:53 AM »

Yes, if you do not have a good reason to be pushy don't do it. You may say hell is a good reason but the evidence for hell is non-existent. It just comes off as crazy ramblings to those who don't take the bible seriously.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2012, 07:05:59 AM »
yes, they shouldnt care about others. so they do something against your beliefs? let them 'burn' it isn't your problem. i think daniel tosh had a relevent quote:

"This is what I say to the most conservative person that's so terrified of gay marriage becoming legal. Just because the state says it's legal, it's not like God's going to let them into Heaven. So you can still sleep sound every night knowing that goal line defense is up at the pearly gates."

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2012, 07:34:10 AM »
Just to clarify he was talking to a specific person about specific Christians he met who as he describes pressured him hard, I think when he studied in England or possibly after in S.Africa.

If it was a generalization then he (and the rest of us) could equally say "I like your Christ, I do not like humans" because humans are imperfect and inevitably let you down sometimes either through their fault or are own.

great point!
I kept thinking about how many of these characteristics listed are human problems that are simply flavored by one's belief system. 

From my understanding of Ghandi was that he had experienced racism among the Christians he had met

Offline yeshaberto

« Reply #63 on: May 24, 2012, 07:36:50 AM »
btw, this thread has been hugely helpful to what I was needing.  I am going to highlight the areas listed today and then use it next week. 
thanks for your help.
I will leave the thread open a little longer and then close it.

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #64 on: May 24, 2012, 07:49:23 AM »
yes, they shouldnt care about others. so they do something against your beliefs? let them 'burn' it isn't your problem. i think daniel tosh had a relevent quote:

"This is what I say to the most conservative person that's so terrified of gay marriage becoming legal. Just because the state says it's legal, it's not like God's going to let them into Heaven. So you can still sleep sound every night knowing that goal line defense is up at the pearly gates."
That seems disingenuous then as becoming legal has ramifications for weddings conducted in churches.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2012, 07:56:15 AM »
Maybe in England where the state and church are still heavily intertwined. In the US a church marriage has no legal ramification at all.

rumborak

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #66 on: May 24, 2012, 08:04:07 AM »
Maybe in England where the state and church are still heavily intertwined. In the US a church marriage has no legal ramification at all.

rumborak
So you have to get married twice?

Offline the Catfishman

« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2012, 08:12:37 AM »

rumborak
So you have to get married twice?

Here it's the same.. so yes, in church and in (the?) town hall.

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #68 on: May 24, 2012, 08:25:30 AM »
I don't think it's relevant anyway - church marriage may not have ramifications in the US legally but legality would have ramifications for church weddings which is the point I made.

Offline yeshaberto

« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2012, 08:26:49 AM »
thanks again.

I did forget to mention, though, that anyone who wrote negative things about Christians will be banned for a week

:biggrin: