Author Topic: My dog is dying  (Read 7636 times)

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • það besta sem guð hefur skapað er nýr dagur
Re: My dog is dying
« Reply #70 on: May 22, 2012, 03:38:24 PM »
:( Losing a pet is always hard. Much love.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline TJPNET

« Reply #71 on: May 22, 2012, 06:21:02 PM »
My wife and I talk about this once in a while and we both agree that nothing will cure the blues of having put your dog down like a new puppy to take care of.   :)
I've had other people say that to me.  I don't know, it feels too soon.  I feel like I need my time to grieve and to honor him.  I know that may sound silly, but it's true.

When my first dog died, I felt the same way. It took about five months to start looking for another. We all realized that our lives had revolved around our dog for 12 years, and it was just too strange to not have a dog around.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #72 on: May 23, 2012, 11:47:48 AM »
My wife and I talk about this once in a while and we both agree that nothing will cure the blues of having put your dog down like a new puppy to take care of.   :)
I've had other people say that to me.  I don't know, it feels too soon.  I feel like I need my time to grieve and to honor him.  I know that may sound silly, but it's true.

No, it doesn't sound silly at all, man.  Everyone's different.  Everyone handles grief differently. 

Offline tartarus250

• peace love and good happyness stuff
« Reply #73 on: May 23, 2012, 01:07:59 PM »
so sorry to hear that fella  :-[
The creation and destruction of harmonic and 'statistical' tensions is essential to the maintenance of compositional drama. Any composition (or improvisation) which remains consonant and 'regular' throughout is, for me, equivalent to watching a movie with only 'good guys' in it, or eating cottage cheese.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #74 on: May 24, 2012, 05:12:52 AM »
I'm sorry Hef. As a fellow dog lover and owner, I am well-acquainted with what you're feeling right now. Condolences, RIP Bear.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #75 on: May 24, 2012, 09:51:40 AM »
All of his stuff is still laying around the house - his chew toys, his ropes, the balls we threw with him retreiving, his food and water bowls - we just haven't been able to bear moving them yet.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #76 on: May 24, 2012, 11:07:21 AM »
It's been 10 months since my dog Joepa died and I still have Joepa's crate asembled in the kitchen and his food and water bowl are still up, so don't feel bad about a few days.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: May 24, 2012, 11:55:38 AM »
 :'(   

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #78 on: May 24, 2012, 12:35:09 PM »
It's been 10 months since my dog Joepa died and I still have Joepa's crate asembled in the kitchen and his food and water bowl are still up, so don't feel bad about a few days.

Similarly, I still keep my dog's collar with me.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #79 on: May 25, 2012, 05:07:05 AM »
We had Bear cremated.  We should have the remains back in a few more days, and then we will put him on the mantle, along with his collar, a framed photo, and one or two of his toys.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: May 25, 2012, 05:13:03 AM »
We had Bear cremated.  We should have the remains back in a few more days, and then we will put him on the mantle, along with his collar, a framed photo, and one or two of his toys.

We did the same thing with our dog.  It was the best thing to do, although our hearts broke again once we had the ashes.  Too sad man, I still feel for you, it's not an easy thing to go through.  :heart
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #81 on: May 25, 2012, 04:06:55 PM »
:( RIP

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #82 on: May 26, 2012, 09:05:40 AM »
My cousin's a vet and runs a cat clinic not far from here. When our cat died, she had some artsy imprint of her paw made that now hangs on the wall.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #83 on: May 26, 2012, 09:16:20 AM »
All of his stuff is still laying around the house - his chew toys, his ropes, the balls we threw with him retreiving, his food and water bowls - we just haven't been able to bear moving them yet.

I had to hide all of our cat's stuff when we had to put him down.  It was too much to bare.  It too us about 3 months before we felt the house was too empty and it was killing us.  We then got to kittens in June, 6 months later.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #84 on: May 26, 2012, 05:40:34 PM »
We got the call today that his remains are back.  We will get them and make a display, then get rid of the rest of his stuff.

We are already talking about maybe getting another dog.  But I know that it won't be the same as Bear.

Of course, that doesn't mean it can't be equally as awesome, just in a different way.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #85 on: May 26, 2012, 06:27:38 PM »
Very true, my family has had five german shepards in my lifetime, all awesome dogs, all unique.  Reading this thread makes my heart warm over the memory of all the dogs I've had, and sad for your loss.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #86 on: May 26, 2012, 09:45:22 PM »
Just now seeing this thread - we have three cats and I am SO not looking forward to the day where we'll lose them :'(

RIP Bear

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: May 27, 2012, 06:03:41 AM »
We got the call today that his remains are back.  We will get them and make a display, then get rid of the rest of his stuff.

We are already talking about maybe getting another dog.  But I know that it won't be the same as Bear.

Of course, that doesn't mean it can't be equally as awesome, just in a different way.

Good man.  Consider a rescue, please.  Just consider it. 

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #88 on: May 27, 2012, 12:36:47 PM »
Really sorrry to hear this. It's so hard to lose an animal, they're as much a part of the family as humans. I lost my hamster a couple of weeks ago and it was awful, she was mega old for a hamster but got a chest infection and within a week was so sick/not gonna recover that we had to have her euthanised. I cried so much, still think about her every day. There was summat really special about that particular hamster.
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #89 on: May 27, 2012, 12:46:09 PM »
Consider a rescue, please.  Just consider it.

Seconded, but specifically a greyhound.  They're a bigger dog, but they are such gentle, loving goofballs.  Plus, they usually come housebroken.

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #90 on: May 27, 2012, 01:33:27 PM »
VERY sorry to hear about this, Hef.  My wife and I went through this a couple of years ago.... I know how you feel.  Again, very sorry. 
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #91 on: May 28, 2012, 05:15:34 AM »
Consider a rescue, please.  Just consider it.

Seconded, but specifically a greyhound.  They're a bigger dog, but they are such gentle, loving goofballs.  Plus, they usually come housebroken.
We are considering a rescue, especially because my oldest daughter is pushing that idea, but no greyhound.  No way.  I don't want a dog that big.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #92 on: May 29, 2012, 03:45:02 PM »
Sorry about that Hef.  I've been through it before.   :(
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Mladen

« Reply #93 on: May 31, 2012, 02:40:15 AM »
So sorry to hear about your loss, hef. My thoughts are with you and your family.