Author Topic: Personal encounters with God  (Read 29697 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Personal encounters with God
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2012, 09:30:03 PM »
Says the guy who claims that god talked through him.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2012, 09:32:46 PM »

???

I hope you're joking...are you even talking to me?   The very idea stabs at the heart of what I believe.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Adami

« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2012, 09:33:22 PM »

???

I hope you're joking...are you even talking to me?   The very idea stabs at the heart of what I believe.

Woah woah, I didn't mean you. I meant paul.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2012, 09:34:33 PM »
OK....whew...   Sorry about the confusion. That just threw me for a sec... 

We're cool Adami.   (bro hug)

Online Adami

« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2012, 09:36:28 PM »

I might not agree with you on much, but JWs are the christians I have the most respect and understanding for. So we cool.

Dawg.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Rathma

• oh no she didnt
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2012, 09:59:00 PM »
"...even if we or an angel out of heaven were to declare to YOU as good news something beyond what we declared to YOU as good news, let him be accursed. As we have said above, I also now say again, Whoever it is that is declaring to YOU as good news something beyond what YOU accepted, let him be accursed."   

So that's pretty black and white that if *ANY* voice told you to do *ANYTHING* that was not in harmony with what the Bible says...it is to be immediately rejected.

Alright guys, go and rip out every book of the New Testament that was written after Galatians.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2012, 10:11:35 PM »

I might not agree with you on much, but JWs are the christians I have the most respect and understanding for. So we cool.

Dawg.

What's JW stand for? Obviously the belief system is what Jammin's been proposing lately, but don't know the acronym.

Online Adami

« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2012, 10:16:13 PM »

Dawg.

What's JW stand for? Obviously the belief system is what Jammin's been proposing lately, but don't know the acronym.

Jehovah's Witnesses.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2012, 11:35:44 PM »
Guess that was my first thought, but I guess I don't see how what Jammin's been proposing fits what I know about JW.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2012, 11:47:20 PM »
Guess that was my first thought, but I guess I don't see how what Jammin's been proposing fits what I know about JW.

There is *A LOT* of misinformation out there...I promise.   You wouldn't believe what I hear at the door.

"You guys don't believe in Jesus"

"I can assure you we do."

"NO YOU DON'T!!!"

:facepalm:

Oh I could tell you more true stories....

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2012, 12:07:04 AM »
That's not the one I'm thinking of (mostly cause I'll be honest, I don't really care enough). More, the talking up of science, and the talking down of theology, but the refusal for blood-transfusions (perhaps more and more of an outdated concern anyways). Of course it's from my perspective, but I don't get how or why the Bible would talk blood transfusions at all, and "partaking of blood" is referring to something different than blood transfusions.

Just to be clear, not talking about the actual beliefs them-self, just the two beliefs don't immediately strike me as coherent (emphasis on immediately).

Offline Rick

« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2012, 02:51:57 AM »
I'm friends with a few schizophrenics and schizoid-type people who hear voices (amongst various other audio/visual hallucinations). I have no doubt whatsoever that to them their experiences are utterly 'real', but that doesn't act as proof that there is something from the outside giving them those experiences - they are just a strange part of neurology. One friend gets given missions by large rocks in rural areas in the name of various Christian saints. He also gets messages of a similar ilk about aliens from Alpha Centauri.  I like and respect the guy, and I don't challenge his experiences at all - I just simply listen - because I know that his acceptance-as-real of the myriad things flowing through his head give him some modicum of stability, and it's not for me to disrupt that,

If you think you're hearing voices, then you should get yer brain checked out. If you think those voices are the specific God you happen to beleive in, then you should get your inflated ego checked out. If you think a 'strong feeling about a decision' is a sign from God, then you should just accept that a strong instinct doesn't require supernatural reasons behind it to be any less powerful - intuitions come out of your own reasoning, and if you have good reasoning skills, then that's why they're often right.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2012, 05:16:13 AM »
I'm rarely wrong in the situations. I don't keep a running tally.

What about when you ARE wrong? Is it still God speaking to you? If so, why would he directly give you false information?

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2012, 05:39:44 AM »

What about when you ARE wrong? Is it still God speaking to you? If so, why would he directly give you false information?

Rarely wrong was a diplomatic way of saying "God has never told me anything wrong, it's a matter of whether or not I listen"

Again, not really looking to debate.

Offline Rick

« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2012, 06:16:49 AM »

Rarely wrong was a diplomatic way of saying "God has never told me anything wrong, it's a matter of whether or not I listen"

You genuinely beleive your God talks directly to you, and you don't always listen to what she has to say? Wow :)

Offline robwebster

« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2012, 06:42:49 AM »
Honestly, if you hear a voice in your head, and you think it's God, it's time to go get diagnosed as a schizophrenic.

What if there is a God that talks to people that way?
I bet it's Anubis. That's Anubis all over, that right there.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2012, 06:47:20 AM »

You genuinely beleive your God talks directly to you, and you don't always listen to what she has to say? Wow :)

At some point in your life, I'm pretty sure you didn't listen to authority

Offline Rick

« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2012, 07:04:09 AM »

At some point in your life, I'm pretty sure you didn't listen to authority

I'm entirely anti-kyriarchy and entirely pro-equality and pro-freedom. There are a lot of times I don't listen to 'authority' because I perpetually question that 'authority' whenever I encounter it. However, the authority you refer to in my case is human authority - merely a fellow human being that is just as fallible as I myself. I'm entirely atheist, so anything to do with supernatural and non-human 'authority' is totally irrelevant to me.

In your case, however, the 'authority' is what you genuinely beleive to be the creator of the entire universe, speaking directly to you (which puts you automatically into a very 'privileged' position) - a mere human, and then you have the audacity to ignore/question her authority! It's quite an incredible notion to me :)

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2012, 07:14:43 AM »
People are stupid. That's pretty much it.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2012, 08:49:59 AM »
I can understand not doing what the "voice" tells you if you have doubts it is god.  But if you are sure it is god, the creator of everything, I find it difficult any believer would not do exactly what they are told post haste.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2012, 10:51:01 AM »
I believe that I have had sacred experiences, but not voices telling me things.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2012, 11:42:13 AM »
If I heard a voice inside my head that wasn't my own, I'd freak the fuck out.

I should say it has never been a voice. Just a feeling that is indescribable. Kind of like the shit you take after chugging a bottle of habenero sauce. "Lava" is the best word, just doesn't do it any real justice.

I'm partial to "hot liquid magma".

Offline tofee35

« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2012, 12:40:50 PM »
Has anyone had a real encounter with God? I've been talking to friends who say they have been baptized in the Holy Spirit (which is a Biblical feeling) and it imparts an incredible feeling of warmth and peace.

There are anecdotes of experiences with God all over the place. I've never had any kind of definitive experience. Never heard an audible voice or indescribable warmth or anything. Any feelings I've ever had have been potentially been self-imparted, because I forced myself to get in the God zone. It would be great to have a real heart-to-heart, face-to-face revelation, though.

Edit: This was a story about an experience that's close to me. I'm having second thoughts about sharing. But, I like this thread. I hope more people contribute some of their stories.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2012, 04:42:17 PM »
Why is it that when someone claims to have had a personal experience with god, when asked about it, they always say the can't share because it's too personal? WHY BRING IT UP THEN?! It also makes you less credible, but I'll be honest, I wouldn't believe you regardless.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2012, 05:23:05 PM »
Why is it that when someone claims to have had a personal experience with god, when asked about it, they always say the can't share because it's too personal? WHY BRING IT UP THEN?! It also makes you less credible, but I'll be honest, I wouldn't believe you regardless.

Mostly that. (For me anyway)

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2012, 10:06:12 PM »
First things first, I know it sounds absolutely stupid to those who reject the belief system that such encounters take place.  However, for Christians who believe in the Holy Spirit, they believe they are indwelled by the very spirit of God himself.  It's not a long jump from that belief to the belief that said Spirit can/does communicate with you.  I personally believe the Spirit's voice can speak in a variety of ways: intuition, conscience, and yes, maybe something even resembling a real voice.

I've had a few so-called "charismatic" experiences with God, even though I'm much less inclined to that sort of Christianity now than I was 10 years ago.  I was "slain in the Spirit" once.  I felt the power of God gently lay me down in such a way that I know it was not me (or the people praying for me) doing it.  I still genuinely believe this was real to this day.  However, as previously stated, I've kind of "moved on" from that type of Christianity that looks for such experiences.

Lest anyone think I'm supremely arrogant, I actually don't personally find much common ground with the Christian who feels like God is speaking to her about every little thing.  I've been around groups where people who think they have "prophetic" giftings just go out on the street to randomly approach others with messages from God.  I don't have that kind of confidence in my ability to discern what might be just me and what might be God's voice.

But anyway, just trying to answer H's question.  No doubt the:

Offline tofee35

« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2012, 10:18:29 AM »

My first instinct was to share. Then after I shared, I wished I hadn't. It's that simple.

The intention wasn't to be credible, it was to share a beautiful experience just as the OP requests. Sorry about that one.

Offline GuineaPig

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2012, 10:50:59 AM »
i believe the same type of questioning/doubt people who see UFO's go through should be the same with "god encounters" people

ex. see Tick's thread

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2012, 11:11:28 AM »
I had the most profound encounter recently at a lectureship.
There were about 5000 in the auditorium singing "holy, holy, holy."  The first verse was the sopranos only.  The second verse was the altos.  When just the women are singing I tend to close my eyes and just listen to the words.
As the lyrics refer to laying down our crowns before the Holy of Holies, accompanied by the beautiful voices of just the women, I felt like I went into a trance for just a half-second (I will admit I attribute part of it to the fact that I was exhausted from lack of sleep  :)) and thought I was literally there.  My entire body froze for that moment and was covered in goosebumps (literally).
I am generally very cautious to try and attribute experiences to being directly from God, and still won't in this case.
I do attribute it, though, to the fact that I have complete confidence that I will one day be in that place casting my crown down before Him.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #65 on: May 22, 2012, 11:20:01 AM »
WHERE'S YOUR CROWN KING NOTHING?!

Sorry.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #66 on: May 22, 2012, 11:28:37 AM »
I would LOVE to have an experience that changes my skeptical mind to believe, with all my heart, in a god and the afterlife.
But I wont force a square peg in a round hole to have those feelings/beliefs/experiences.

EDIT:  There was a time not long ago, where I was going through a rough patch, and I would wake up in the morning with an empty feeling.  I felt lost, was always tired in the morning, and couldnt sleep at night.  I would even have feelings of despair at times.
I wondered if this was a sign that it was time to fill the hole I was feeling with god and religion.
I asked my wife's family's priest (he married us too, and I like him a lot) what he thought.  He said he would always encourage anyone to have a relationship with god, but that he thought it was probably depression.
So I go to the doctor, and get on some meds for bipolar II, and now I feel fine.
It further confirms my skepticism.  Many people would just make that unfounded connection that it was god and jesus calling them, when it is likely a medical issue and/or just going through a rough patch in their life.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 11:34:55 AM by eric42434224 »
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline comment

• Custom Title
  • What’s on your mind Facebook?
« Reply #67 on: May 22, 2012, 03:08:24 PM »
Personal Encounters of the God kind:   In the beginning…
My first military assignment; I had a supervisor who was the biggest womanizer and smooth talker I’ve ever met.  Men wanted to be like him, women wanted to be with him and most everyone wanted to be his friend.  He was very charismatic and never had a short list of female conquests or drunken parties to talk about. 
When he became a follower of Christ it influenced a lot of people.  To me this was the first evidence of God I ever witnessed.  He became my first personal encounter because I saw the before and after.  Still, I was one of the last hold outs from the many people who were now becoming Christians around me.  “What’s it going to be Heaven or Hell?”, he asked.  I said, “Hell!  I love sinning too much.”  To which he replied, “Do you know how stupid you sound?”  I didn’t respond.
Seeing the change in the people around me and with a nominal Christian upbringing, I thought I’d read the Bible for myself.  That inspiration to read on my own, I see now as a personal encounter with the leading of God’s Spirit.
I might have looked at the Bible a few times in my life before this, but when I read it now I became hungrier to read more and would lose sleep to consume it.  It “burned inside” like nothing I ever read or experienced.   I was expecting condemnation for my willful disobedience by lying, committing sexual immorality, theft etc., but instead I was convicted by God’s grace to repent. 
I took a step of faith!  I trusted in Jesus as the Son of God who came in the flesh to pay the penalty for my sin, as a demonstration of God’s love while I was still a sinner.  His love brought a new birth in my life, with new freedom and empowerment to live.  I was invigorated to say the least and I found joy in life I had never known. 
I then sought baptism as an outward sign of putting off my “old man” and rising in this new life.  After this and even now I don’t “love sinning too much” and when I have/do it hurts deeply because Jesus Christ is Lord and it’s my desire not to continue in sin.  His grace is truly amazing to have saved someone like me.
To me, the evidence or re-creation in others, the inspiration to seek God, the conviction to repent of sin, the new birth experience, the desire to obey and subsequent sorrow for sin are personal encounters with God that I hope everyone experiences.   My hope is all would come to know Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord because His friendship is out of this world before miracles, signs and wonders come into it.  I think forgiveness is a personal encounter with God, because at the cross justice and mercy kiss on everyone’s behalf to encounter forgiveness and give forgiveness.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 01:57:10 AM by comment »
Signature

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #68 on: May 22, 2012, 03:10:24 PM »
I would LOVE to have an experience that changes my skeptical mind to believe, with all my heart, in a god and the afterlife.
But I wont force a square peg in a round hole to have those feelings/beliefs/experiences.

EDIT:  There was a time not long ago, where I was going through a rough patch, and I would wake up in the morning with an empty feeling.  I felt lost, was always tired in the morning, and couldnt sleep at night.  I would even have feelings of despair at times.
I wondered if this was a sign that it was time to fill the hole I was feeling with god and religion.
I asked my wife's family's priest (he married us too, and I like him a lot) what he thought.  He said he would always encourage anyone to have a relationship with god, but that he thought it was probably depression.
So I go to the doctor, and get on some meds for bipolar II, and now I feel fine.
It further confirms my skepticism.  Many people would just make that unfounded connection that it was god and jesus calling them, when it is likely a medical issue and/or just going through a rough patch in their life.

This is serious, but maybe it was a higher being that lead you to man of faith who turned you to a doctor? It seems like you respect the priest and perhaps he knew that he couldn't be like "ya homes, that was God, yo. Start prayin' im gettin the bread'n'drink for some communion up in hurr"

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #69 on: May 22, 2012, 03:11:58 PM »
Why would God send you to a doctor? God can do everything a doctor can. Why the unnecessary middleman?