Author Topic: My Personal UFO Encounter v. I saw a flying saucer, aliens optional!  (Read 24175 times)

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
With "UFO sightings," I have found that 100% of the time there is a perfectly logical explanation for the occurrence. There are other people in the world who could very easily strap some form of propulsion to some object and send it up into the sky for any bystanders to notice it and proclaim "ALIENS!!!!"

However, logical thought on the witness's part is thrown to the wind in 95% of such situations. That percentage is of course far too high for the average logical thinker to bother arguing about it.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
With "UFO sightings," I have found that 100% of the time there is a perfectly logical explanation for the occurrence. There are other people in the world who could very easily strap some form of propulsion to some object and send it up into the sky for any bystanders to notice it and proclaim "ALIENS!!!!"

However, logical thought on the witness's part is thrown to the wind in 95% of such situations. That percentage is of course far too high for the average logical thinker to bother arguing about it.

Yeah, pretty much agree with this. I'm not saying you didn't see something totally bizarre, but I think anyone who witnesses that kind of thing would be conditioned to chalk it up to the most emotionally charged scenario and stick to that scenario.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you

Yeah, pretty much agree with this. I'm not saying you didn't see something totally bizarre, but I think anyone who witnesses that kind of thing would be conditioned to chalk it up to the most emotionally charged scenario and stick to that scenario.
Here's the thing. I saw a flying saucer. That's pretty much all their is too it. Who made it or who was inside is another story. Its really easy for everyone to draw conclusions on something they didn't experience, but if you viewed what I saw with your own eyes you would have a totally different perspective.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
You saw what you wanted to see...like everyone else who sees flying saucers. If aliens did exist, I can nearly assure you that wouldn't be coming in flying saucers just fucking with people.

Offline senecadawg2

You saw what you wanted to see...like everyone else who sees flying saucers. If aliens did exist, I can nearly assure you that wouldn't be coming in flying saucers just fucking with people.

Not sure how you reached this conclusion. The way I see it, if aliens did exist, they would be unlike anything we can imagine. With motives that we couldn't begin to comprehend.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
Conquistadors, dude.

Offline Ħ

Would UFOs really look exactly as we conceived of them before observing them?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline senecadawg2

Conquistadors=a select group of humans. Humans=/=Extra-Terrestrials

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
It would be the equivalent. Not to appeal to authority here, but Hawking has said on numerous occasions that if aliens were to touch down on Earth, A) it would be like the conquistadors arriving in the Americas and B) it would be bad for us.

Offline senecadawg2

Well to be honest, I'm not sure how Hawking reached that conclusion.  The Conquistador mindset is human nature, and has been throughout the human existence. Human nature is just that, human nature. I'm not sure how we can safely assume that other e.t. species would possess a similar mindset, leading to act similar to ourselves.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
Now I can appeal to the authority of another scientist!

Because natural selection exists, the progression of single celled organisms to more complex ones would nearly mimic that of the progression here, save for a few differences in what it takes to live on planet whatever. Basically, if aliens were to exist, they would be similar to humans in both their make-up physically...and mentally.

Offline Ħ

Because natural selection exists, the progression of single celled organisms to more complex ones would nearly mimic that of the progression here, save for a few differences in what it takes to live on planet whatever. Basically, if aliens were to exist, they would be similar to humans in both their make-up physically...and mentally.
Nah. Natural selection would still be at work, but it wouldn't mimic the way it happened on Earth. Too much left up to chance.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
Yeah...that's what I wanted to see. That's freaking stupid. I saw what was in front of my face. If you saw a flying saucer would you say you saw what you wanted to see?
and when did say it was aliens? I didn't.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
That's a whole different scientific debate right there.

Yeah...that's what I wanted to see. That's freaking stupid. I saw what was in front of my face. If you saw a flying saucer would you say you saw what you wanted to see?

Yes, you saw what you wanted to see. The same way people hear what they want to hear. And correct, you didn't say it was aliens. You said you are now a firm believer in UFOs...So am I. Sometimes, you can't identify flying objects. C'est la vie.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member

Yes, you saw what you wanted to see. The same way people hear what they want to hear. And correct, you didn't say it was aliens. You said you are now a firm believer in UFOs...So am I. Sometimes, you can't identify flying objects. C'est la vie.
I am a believer in UFO's. That doesn't speak to whats in them.
and I apparently saw what a ton of other people wanted to see. We all saw the same thing and wanted it to look like a flying saucer. Yep, that's plausible for sure.

Offline senecadawg2

Nah. Natural selection would still be at work, but it wouldn't mimic the way it happened on Earth. Too much left up to chance.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
There is a scientific debate about that going on as we speak...

and I apparently saw what a ton of other people wanted to see. We all saw the same thing and wanted it to look like a flying saucer. Yep, that's plausible for sure.

Of course it is. In fact, the more people around to "witness" it, the higher the odds of a mass delusion.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
There is a scientific debate about that going on as we speak...

Of course it is. In fact, the more people around to "witness" it, the higher the odds of a mass delusion.
I believe in UFO's I don't believe in mass delusion. Especially since I was not with the masses, knowing they were delusional. :tick2:

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
It seems odd considering most UFO sightings are result of mass delusion...

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
It seems odd considering most UFO sightings are result of mass delusion...
Really? How would you know? Are you an expert?  How could I be with one other person having a mass delusion with people that are not seeing what I am at the moment? That's just fucking stupid is what that is.
If you saw one would you think you were delusional? I highly doubt it.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
If I saw one, I'd have the sense to know it wasn't a flying saucer.

Out of curiosity, where do you stand on Bigfoot? The Lochness Monster? Chubacabra?

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.

The whole point of being delusional is to be unaware of one's own delusions, of course. 

Unless it's some kind of meta-delusion.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
That's...meta, man.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
If I saw one, I'd have the sense to know it wasn't a flying saucer.

Out of curiosity, where do you stand on Bigfoot? The Lochness Monster? Chubacabra?
I don't believe in them. Now if I see one of them someday I might feel different. You do get the fact that the reason I believe flying saucers exist is because I saw one, right?

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member

The whole point of being delusional is to be unaware of one's own delusions, of course. 

Well, because I saw a flying saucer, does not mean I was delusional. You can't possibly believe that the reason I saw it was a delusion, do you? If so, why?
I saw it, it was there. End of story.

Offline senecadawg2

Get it through your head man. You didn't actually see it, you just think you saw it. I wasn't there, but I know what you think you saw wasn't real.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
Get it through your head man. You didn't actually see it, you just think you saw it. I wasn't there, but I know what you think you saw wasn't real.
:tup

Offline senecadawg2

Tick, I'M WITH YOU! You are so misunderstood.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member

Well, because I saw a flying saucer, does not mean I was delusional. You can't possibly believe that the reason I saw it was a delusion, do you? If so, why?

Well, seeing a flying saucer doesn't necessarily mean you're sane. Ask most people and they'll tell you the opposite, really. Plus, you saw something and something was most definitely there...it just probably wasn't a flying saucer.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.

Here's the thing. I saw a flying saucer. That's pretty much all their is too it. Who made it or who was inside is another story. Its really easy for everyone to draw conclusions on something they didn't experience, but if you viewed what I saw with your own eyes you would have a totally different perspective.

Which is pretty much exactly what I said.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member

That's not even close to what he was saying.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
This is quite a fascinating article. While I'm certain UFO believers will rationalize it as a worldwide conspiracy to cover up the truth about UFOs, but not what actually pilots them (honestly, what does that even mean?), I feel better having posted this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UFO_sightings

Edit: Upon further review, a lot of the sightings here seem like people didn't even try to find a logical solution. Interesting. The Roswell fiasco is the most interesting one, to me.

I guess the point of everything is, some people are convinced that they've seen their chosen deity as well. The fact that there are way too many religions for each one to be correct leads me to believe that anyone who talks about seeing a UFO may indeed be just as delusional as people who "saw god."
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 07:40:48 PM by Ultimetalhead »
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
Its funny to me that as an innocent 13 year old kid who saw something he wasn't expecting to see, that I was was delusional and insane.
"I know you thought you saw a flying saucer, but reality is you really didn't see it It was something else."

The fact is, it was a saucer. Saw it up close. Was not high. Am 100% certain that is what I saw.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 06:16:33 AM by Tick »

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member

That's not even close to what he was saying.
Well then miser, please expound upon his thoughts.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
Tick, I don't know how to tell you this, but you claim to have seen something that I personally don't believe in, so I don't give two shits in a mop bucket what you actually saw with your own two eyes long before I was a random thought in my parents' brains, you're absolutely wrong and did not see what you think you saw.