Author Topic: My Personal UFO Encounter v. I saw a flying saucer, aliens optional!  (Read 24176 times)

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
Re: My Personal UFO Encounter v. I saw a flying saucer. Yes...I DID!
« Reply #105 on: May 21, 2012, 08:23:55 PM »
What Nick said. "The truth is out there" is a reference to aliens and the X-Files in particular, and "can you handle it" implies that it is unfallible truth and people have to either agree with you or try to disprove you.

That may not have been your intention, but given the thread title and some of your confrontational behaviour in this thread, it's certainly how it came across.

Not only that, but it also a common tactic for UFO supporters to "put things out there" and then implicitly steer the discussion towards a certain interpretation of the facts without directly saying it. The "Well, UFO stands for unidentified flying object, which is exactly what it was" is an example of that tactic. The word has a very distinct connotation in contemporary culture (aliens), using it means implying the alien interpretation of events.

rumborak
I'm glad someone else brought that up. I couldn't figure out how to effectively word it.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
Re: My Personal UFO Encounter v. I saw a flying saucer. Yes...I DID!
« Reply #106 on: May 22, 2012, 06:06:29 AM »
What Nick said. "The truth is out there" is a reference to aliens and the X-Files in particular, and "can you handle it" implies that it is unfallible truth and people have to either agree with you or try to disprove you.

That may not have been your intention, but given the thread title and some of your confrontational behaviour in this thread, it's certainly how it came across.

Not only that, but it also a common tactic for UFO supporters to "put things out there" and then implicitly steer the discussion towards a certain interpretation of the facts without directly saying it. The "Well, UFO stands for unidentified flying object, which is exactly what it was" is an example of that tactic. The word has a very distinct connotation in contemporary culture (aliens), using it means implying the alien interpretation of events.

rumborak
I'm glad someone else brought that up. I couldn't figure out how to effectively word it.
Whatever. You can word anything, anyway you want, but if you think this has anything to do with my feelings, its bull. I made it clear in my OP what the deal is. I never claim to be a "UFO!, the aliens are here" zealot.
UFO is what I saw. Classic saucer we have seen in pictures a million times. Its the truth, and it was right in front of me. Their is no mistaking it for anything other that what it was. Its amazing how many people think I didn't see what I say I saw, because they think I am claiming to see something that doesn't exist. Well guess what, it does and that is a fact.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 06:42:25 AM by Tick »
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: My Personal UFO Encounter v. I saw a flying saucer, aliens optional!
« Reply #107 on: May 22, 2012, 07:17:30 AM »

rumborak
Whatever. You can word anything, anyway you want, but if you think this has anything to do with my feelings, its bull. I made it clear in my OP what the deal is. I never claim to be a "UFO!, the aliens are here" zealot.
UFO is what I saw. Classic saucer we have seen in pictures a million times. Its the truth, and it was right in front of me. Their is no mistaking it for anything other that what it was. Its amazing how many people think I didn't see what I say I saw, because they think I am claiming to see something that doesn't exist. Well guess what, it does and that is a fact.

Saying stuff like that at this point is kinda counter-productive at this point. Just like you find it annoying people are doubting your account of things, you also cannot prove what you're saying to be true because you have no actual proof of it.

Edit: And while I realize it's true to you, to others it's simply an eyewitness account, which as criminal trials have proven over time, can't be inherently trusted as completely accurate.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 07:23:19 AM by Nick »
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #108 on: May 22, 2012, 07:37:36 AM »
Just like you find it annoying people are doubting your account of things, you also cannot prove what you're saying to be true because you have no actual proof of it.

The difference here, and what makes this part so annoying, is that it's people who weren't there and who weren't even alive at the time, insisting that tick was delusional - giving the appearance that somehow they magically know better.  No, nobody outright said they know better, but if someone is going to go to enough effort to unnecessarily argue what he saw, without even having been there, then yes, it comes off as that person thinking they know better than someone who WAS THERE.  Hell, I wasn't even there and this insitence on tick being wrong irritates me.

It would get really old and irritating if someone started going into all the religious threads and telling the religious folk, who believe in God and believe in things He has done in their lives, that the things they're believing are really explainable in some other way and that the God they think was responsible is just a fabrication.  I don't imagine it would be tolerated for very long.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #109 on: May 22, 2012, 07:46:00 AM »
I really think the Lens Flare / Orb / Ghost thread has a lot to do with the reactions here.

(no offense,  Tick)

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #110 on: May 22, 2012, 08:06:19 AM »
I really think the Lens Flare / Orb / Ghost thread has a lot to do with the reactions here.

(no offense,  Tick)
None taken, and I agree with you. Understandably so. That was a picture a friend took, and I ran with the thought it could have been something unique. After that thread ran its course I came to the realization that lens flare was the likely explanation. I can't can't change the fact that thread kills my credibility a bit, but on this issue, I am sure of what I saw, 100%.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #111 on: May 22, 2012, 08:13:46 AM »
I believe you are describing what you saw  :)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #112 on: May 22, 2012, 08:37:26 AM »

You're speaking of flying saucers and UFOs together as the same thing in this thread, so this is why people are reacting the way they are. You say you're a believer in UFOs. The literal meaning of UFO simply means unidentified flying object. All that would mean is that you believe that there are things in the sky you personally can't explain. This is not really a belief.
When I was a kid I used to look up in the sky and see weird red and green lights slowly drifting past. To me that was a UFO (without any alien connotations). In reality, it was just the beacon lights of an airplane flying past in the night. Unidentified Flying Objects will always remain unidentified if you're not willing to identifying it.

You're not merely stating you saw a UFO (which in itself is fine and needs no explanation if you only went that far), you're saying there's no mistaking that you saw a flying saucer, and that's a fact. This is where people are taking argument with you.
I can't quite tell from the tone of the OP whether you think it had to be one of the two possibilities of either aliens or government, but regardless, I haven't gotten the impression so far that you've been open minded to the possibility of accepting any mundane explanation for it. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, just giving an opinion on how I perceive it thus far.
Don't worry tick, no lens flare explanations from me on this one. :lol I didn't see what you saw, and I have absolutely no doubt you saw something. If others saw it too, then you're obviously not crazy.

You definitely saw a UFO in the literal context of the word, and nobody can deny that, but with the lens flare thread, you've already established a bias to want to believe in the unexplainable instead of being open minded to the everyday explanations, even when presented with clear evidence, and the human mind itself is not a reliable source, especially after 30 years for an event that caught you off guard and scared you.

Have you ever even tried searching the internet for this incident to see if an explanation ever came up? If it was something witnessed by many people like you said, it most likely got investigated to some degree. Maybe an explanation came up, maybe they never figured it out. Either way, it would back up your story as truth, whether it is to this day an unidentified flying object, or maybe you'll find that your town made a mistake building the rocket factory next to the frisbee factory. :tick2:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #113 on: May 22, 2012, 08:38:36 AM »
so many h8ers

Offline robwebster

« Reply #114 on: May 22, 2012, 08:54:41 AM »
I believe you are describing what you saw  :)
Ditto!

And I believe you mean it when you say you don't necessarily believe it was aliens.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #115 on: May 22, 2012, 08:58:25 AM »
HOLY FUCK, THIS  IS AN AWESOME FIND!!!

I was looking to find out if any sightings in Connecticut were reported from 1978. When I saw a person telling his story which happened in 1979, I thought, wow! this was it! I always think 78 cause I was in 8th grade and thats when it took place. but I was still in 8th grade in the spring of 79 which is when the event took place. Now if screwing up the year futher damages my credibilty I can't change that but I found this link and I found it an exciting read!

https://ufocasebook.conforums.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&num=1107876146
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 09:17:53 AM by Tick »

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #116 on: May 22, 2012, 09:03:58 AM »
Reading this guys story in that thread has my heart racing. In one post he talks about a single row of white lights that rotated and did not change color!!! This guy saw exactly what I saw that night!!!!!!
He says in another post, if he had pictures it would have blown the skeptics out of the water. AMEN TO THAT!!!

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #117 on: May 22, 2012, 09:05:43 AM »
And even in that thread, someone's like "Are you sure it wasn't such and such?"

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #118 on: May 22, 2012, 11:15:01 AM »
No one has any thoughts on the link?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #119 on: May 22, 2012, 12:43:28 PM »
I only read the original post, but my stance remains as it was before, I surely believe there was something freaky going on in the skies that night in CT.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #120 on: May 22, 2012, 03:31:52 PM »
This looks pretty legit.

Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #121 on: May 23, 2012, 08:38:43 AM »
I think the negativity thrown at you is a bit unfair when weighed against the number of people who will happily believe in a god when any rational look at the argument points to there not being one.

I used to believe in flying saucers but now I don't. Not enough proof for me, especially in this day and age when everyone carries a phone with a decent camera.
If I was an alien race I would stay well away from this planet and it's inhabitants. Unless of course I was worse. With a bigger gun.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #122 on: May 23, 2012, 09:02:11 AM »
I think the negativity thrown at you is a bit unfair when weighed against the number of people who will happily believe in a god when any rational look at the argument points to there not being one.

I used to believe in flying saucers but now I don't. Not enough proof for me, especially in this day and age when everyone carries a phone with a decent camera.
If I was an alien race I would stay well away from this planet and it's inhabitants. Unless of course I was worse. With a bigger gun.
I really don't want to believe in flying saucers, but unless I renounce what I saw and convince myself I saw something else, I really have no choice but to believe that something that was smack in front of my face was actually there.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #123 on: May 26, 2012, 11:13:36 PM »
Saw a tweet today from our lord and savoir, Neil Degrass Tyson that clears things up.

"How to turn UFOs into IFOs: Take one course in Stargazing, another in Atmospheric Phenomena, and a third in Cognitive Bias."

Just made me think of this thread, and my own personal bias aside, I trust NDT in pretty much anything I don't fully understand. :lol

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #124 on: May 27, 2012, 08:54:59 PM »
Saw a tweet today from our lord and savoir, Neil Degrass Tyson that clears things up.

"How to turn UFOs into IFOs: Take one course in Stargazing, another in Atmospheric Phenomena, and a third in Cognitive Bias."

Just made me think of this thread, and my own personal bias aside, I trust NDT in pretty much anything I don't fully understand. :lol
and I trust my 2 eye balls.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #125 on: May 27, 2012, 09:18:52 PM »
You may want to invest in glasses.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #126 on: May 27, 2012, 09:21:35 PM »

I trust your balls too.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #127 on: May 28, 2012, 01:06:21 PM »

I don't. I don't trust mine or anyone else's. The human mind is a powerful, powerful thing.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #128 on: May 28, 2012, 01:28:20 PM »
Someone tweeted back at NDT asking what about the 5% of UFOs that are never identified, and he tweeted back that they remain *Unidentified*FOs. His position seemed to be simply because we don't know what it is, that doesn't mean we should widely speculate.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #129 on: May 28, 2012, 06:26:39 PM »

I don't. I don't trust mine or anyone else's. The human mind is a powerful, powerful thing.
so is 20/15 vision.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #130 on: May 28, 2012, 07:11:28 PM »

so is 20/15 vision.

Vision score is irrelevant to the point MJ was making. :p

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #131 on: May 29, 2012, 05:18:23 AM »

so is 20/15 vision.

No it isn't. My point is, as powerful as the mind is, I trust mine and what it saw. So at that point I will refer to my vision which at age 13 was quite sound.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #132 on: May 29, 2012, 05:54:25 AM »

so is 20/15 vision.

No it isn't. My point is, as powerful as the mind is, I trust mine and what it saw. So at that point I will refer to my vision which at age 13 was quite sound.

You can't control your subconscious mind, so yes, it is. I'm not saying you're wrong, simply that the point MJ was making was a general statement that had it been applied to your situation or not was not directly linked to vision quality.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #133 on: May 29, 2012, 07:29:13 AM »
If aliens have forms of space transport, the chance they would look like a stereotypical flying saucer is rediculously small.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #134 on: May 29, 2012, 07:59:30 AM »

so is 20/15 vision.

You can't control your subconscious mind, so yes, it is. I'm not saying you're wrong, simply that the point MJ was making was a general statement that had it been applied to your situation or not was not directly linked to vision quality.
Mr. Nick. I quite understand the point made. I am just convinced my sound mind saw what it saw, therefore I was refering to my vision as being the only factor, and my vision was excellant at that age.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #135 on: May 29, 2012, 08:00:50 AM »
If aliens have forms of space transport, the chance they would look like a stereotypical flying saucer is rediculously small.
Nope. Thats exactly what I saw.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #136 on: May 29, 2012, 08:04:21 AM »
I'm not saying you didn't see that... it's just so unrealistic for it to be extraterristrial life.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #137 on: May 29, 2012, 09:18:22 AM »
Your refusal to accept any other explanation makes it pretty clear that you want it to be a flying saucer, terrestrial or otherwise.

@Jirpo - He's not saying it was extraterrestrial. Just that it was a flying saucer.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #138 on: May 29, 2012, 09:40:30 AM »
I'm not saying you didn't see that... it's just so unrealistic for it to be extraterristrial life.
I know it was a flying saucer. I don't know what or who was in it. I never said it was extraterristeral.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #139 on: May 29, 2012, 10:07:38 AM »
ITT

Quote from: Everybody
WHY WON'T YOU ACCEPT MY EXPLANATION FOR WHAT YOU SAW WITH YOUR OWN TWO EYES AND I DIDN'T??!!!!