Author Topic: My Personal UFO Encounter v. I saw a flying saucer, aliens optional!  (Read 24171 times)

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
This is bound to open a can of worms but, I saw a flying saucer up close when I was 13 years old. It was pretty damn scary seeing something in front of you that was supposed to be a myth like Bigfoot or Nessie. So I really have no choice but to believe.
People have said to me, "were you high?" No, I wasn't and I saw what I saw.

It was a Sunday night in Summer 1978 at around 8:30 pm. It was almost time to go in for the night, when standing in my friends back yard with our backs faced away from it, we saw large beams of light circulating in his back yard. The brain could not process what the hell it was. We both turned around at the same time, and saw the same thing. A saucer was hovering overhead about 200 yards away. My eyes nearly popped out of my head, and my heart felt like it would explode. At the same time, both my friend and I started to run towards his house. As we were at the back door about to run inside, I found the courage to finally turn for another look. It was gone in seconds without a trace.

I went home in stark terror that night and told my parents. My mother knew I was absolutely freaked out and tried to comfort me. My father on the other hand thought it a complete joke. He mocked me and asked if I had seen the green men. I was pissed!

Lets move on to the next day. My day starts making the mistake of telling classmates and teachers what I saw. BIG mistake! I was ripped to shreds by the kids, and even a teacher picked on me in front of his class, making it more acceptable for them to keep picking me apart.

The story does not end here...
That same morning, my mom who was a secretary at the time goes up to a female co worker and says..."Your never going to believe what my son saw last night." Before she could barely finish her sentence, the woman says,"he saw a UFO?"
My mother responds a bit bewildered, "yes, why would you say that?" The woman responds, "while I was washing dishes last night, my husband shouts out from the living room, "honey your not going to believe this, I just saw a flying saucer fly by the window!"
My mom is shocked to hear this.

That night before I get home for dinner my mother tells my father the story about her friend at work. They both agree its best not to tell me about this because they felt I was actually trying to go into denial about what I saw because it was traumatizing me. It trully was.

So we come to the end of the story.
That night after dinner, I go into the living room to watch the 6 o'clock news with my parents. As the broadcast begins this is what we hear...(paraphrasing as best I can)
"Good evening, at the top of the news tonight. Numerous flying saucer sitings across the state of Connecticut last night. Truckers were pulling over on I95 to watch what they claimed was a flying saucer flying over head."
It went on a bit from there. They were some people interviewed.

At this point I look at my father in anger and say, "I KNEW IT! I KNEW I WASN'T CRAZY!" He kind of changed his mindset a bit, but still wouldn't totally buy in. Its just not how he was. My mom on the other hand believed.

So in conclusion I would say I know what my eyes saw. I was not alone. What was inside the vessel is up for debate. I can't tell you it was people from outer space, or just some high tech vehicle made and being tested by the government. I just know that on that night in 78, I became a believer in UFO's.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 02:18:09 PM by Tick »
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
I can't.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
1. Why didn't you run towards it. I can guarantee you that if I ever saw something, my natural instinct would be "fuck my safety, I'm curious."
2. Did you see little green men?

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
I met someone in Asheville who said I actually carried more physical alien traits than most humans because I was really tall.  She also believed that aliens mated with apes to create humans, and that these aliens were very very tall. 

So sorry if my distant uncle J'Zimbrak gave you a scare, Tick.  My dad's side of the family have always been pranksters. 

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
1. Why didn't you run towards it. I can guarantee you that if I ever saw something, my natural instinct would be "fuck my safety, I'm curious."
2. Did you see little green men?
To answer question 1...
I was a scared pussy? My eyes were not even believing what they were seeing. I can't tell what how weird it is for your brain to have to try and process something it formerly thought did not exist. To tell you the absolute truth. After all these years I am still pissed off at myself for turning away from it. I always think, if I could only have the moment back I would stand there and stare at it.

Question 2...
No. I wish I really knew what was inside the vehicle. Was it from outer space? I have no idea.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
And in all likelihood you missed the morning-news tidbit a few days later of "oh, last week's UFO, yeah, some amateur aviation enthusiast confessed on playing a prank".

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
And in all likelihood you missed the morning-news tidbit a few days later of "oh, last week's UFO, yeah, some amateur aviation enthusiast confessed on playing a prank".

rumborak

That happened to me. Saw something rise slowly to the sky, a light. It stopped mid-air and had a saerchlight rotate 360 degrees out of it, then it dissapeared in a flash. My buddies and I were convinced it was a sighting.

Next morning's news,we find out a rocket had failed right after launch, in the general vicinity of the anamoly we saw.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member

rumborak

That happened to me. Saw something rise slowly to the sky, a light. It stopped mid-air and had a saerchlight rotate 360 degrees out of it, then it dissapeared in a flash. My buddies and I were convinced it was a sighting.

Next morning's news,we find out a rocket had failed right after launch, in the general vicinity of the anamoly we saw.
So then you just disreguard that I say I saw a stereotypical saucer hovering in front of my face?

One thing I have come to realize about my experience is this. When I tell this story, people who don't believe will always find a way to reason it away. I can't force anyone to believe what my eyes saw. I just know what the truth is, because it happened to me.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
So then you just disreguard that I say I saw a stereotypical saucer hovering in front of my face?

A saucer was hovering overhead about 200 yards away.

200 yards = in front of my face?

That's two football field sizes away dude.

rumborak

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member

A saucer was hovering overhead about 200 yards away.

200 yards = in front of my face?

That's two football field sizes away dude.

rumborak
So what? It actually was over a field maybe a little over a football field away? I don't know the exact distance. What I saw was clear as day regardless of the distance. It was a saucer. I stared right at it, and their was no mistaking it for anything else as far as I'm concerned. If the fact I said 200 yards now leads to question the accuracy of everything else I wrote, so be it. You wouldn't believe no matter what I wrote, because you just don't.
I saw a saucer. Of that I'm sure. What was inside, I have no idea.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
Brilliant.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
I'm not questioning what you saw. I'm solely questioning your conclusions. A football field is quite far away to make any kind of judgment regarding the nature of an airborne object.

rumborak

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
I met someone in Asheville who said I actually carried more physical alien traits than most humans because I was really tall.  She also believed that aliens mated with apes to create humans, and that these aliens were very very tall. 

So sorry if my distant uncle J'Zimbrak gave you a scare, Tick.  My dad's side of the family have always been pranksters.
What? So Dutch people are descendants from aliens? Cool!

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
I mean, there's a track record of this kind of stuff happening, and I think Rumbo and Lonestar made that point clearly and respectfully.  I always thought that if there were aliens out there I doubt their only means of communication would be to whiz above our heads to confuse us. 

We're all descended from aliens.  People like you and me just exhibit more alien traits than the rest of this feeble planet.

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni

We're all descended from aliens.  People like you and me just exhibit more alien traits than the rest of this feeble planet.
Does that mean we have special powers that I don't know about?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
You guys have the special power to lose against Germany in soccer matches  :-*

rumborak

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
Don't go there  :sadpanda:

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
I'm not questioning what you saw. I'm solely questioning your conclusions. A football field is quite far away to make any kind of judgment regarding the nature of an airborne object.

rumborak
If you saw a large air craft only a football field away in the air, you would be quite sure what your eyes were viewing. That's all I'm saying. It was not a small craft in front of me, it was pretty large.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
You guys have the special power to lose against Germany in soccer matches  :-*

rumborak
:lol

Offline senecadawg2

First of all, very interesting story Tick. What caught my attention was that there were obviously many other people who claimed to share you experience that night.

Secondly, whenever I hear about 'flying saucers' I'm immediately apprehensive. What are the chances that Aliens, assuming they exist, travel by means of flying saucers? With an infinite amount of other possible mediums for travel available, why should we assume that Aliens travel in flying saucers? Not saying it's not possible, or that you didn't see it, just that it seems unlikely to me.

Thirdly, if aliens with the ability to travel to our planet existed, why would they just hover above the surface? Why aren't they disembarking off of their flying saucers? In response to my own question, maybe they already have... or maybe Earth's atmospheric conditions wouldn't allow for that.

Fourthly, we are not all descended from aliens. We all ARE aliens, traveling through alien space.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
First of all, very interesting story Tick. What caught my attention was that there were obviously many other people who claimed to share you experience that night.

Secondly, whenever I hear about 'flying saucers' I'm immediately apprehensive. What are the chances that Aliens, assuming they exist, travel by means of flying saucers? With an infinite amount of other possible mediums for travel available, why should we assume that Aliens travel in flying saucers? Not saying it's not possible, or that you didn't see it, just that it seems unlikely to me.

Thirdly, if aliens with the ability to travel to our planet existed, why would they just hover above the surface? Why aren't they disembarking off of their flying saucers? In response to my own question, maybe they already have... or maybe Earth's atmospheric conditions wouldn't allow for that.

Fourthly, we are not all descended from aliens. We all ARE aliens, traveling through alien space.
You see, the thing for me is this. I don't claim what I saw was from outer space, or filled with aliens. I have no idea what was in the craft. I only know it was a saucer with circulating lights. Never seen any thing like it. It looked like the typical flying saucer we have all seen in pictures a million times. Over 30 years later I still watch the sky's looking for another glimpse. This time it would be different. I would not run, I would be fixated. Alas, it has not happened again.
My skepticism says to me, after all these years why has no contact been made if they have been out there that long. That's what makes me question what was inside the vessel I saw. I never have said I think it was aliens, cause I have no clue who it was.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member

and the heat miser brings his unique brand of humor to the table!

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
Tip your bartender. I'll be here all week.

Offline alirocker08

• Apparently not a hobbit
  • 'Sup, I'm a very short elf
Flying saucers are an incredibly ineffective mode of transport, they're simply not streamlined. I don't know why, of all their advances in technology, an alien race would overlook this massive design floor.

Or maybe it's just a mass hallucination, you know, like on Doctor Who where everyone who saw aliens over London believed it was due to an imbalance in the water supply.

Come to think of it, the Police Box form of the TARDIS isn't very practical either. Damn aliens
ITT: We discover that Alice is elvish...
Psshh, your status as a hobbit has just been a cover. Your cover has been blown.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
Flying saucers are an incredibly ineffective mode of transport, they're simply not streamlined. I don't know why, of all their advances in technology, an alien race would overlook this massive design floor.

Or maybe it's just a mass hallucination, you know, like on Doctor Who where everyone who saw aliens over London believed it was due to an imbalance in the water supply.

Come to think of it, the Police Box form of the TARDIS isn't very practical either. Damn aliens
Well, maybe they have the better design cause we don't have anything that can get to where they are. :tick2:

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.

and the heat miser brings his unique brand of humor to the table!

Only a heat miser could deliver such a burn.

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni

Well, maybe they have the better design cause we don't have anything that can get to where they are. :tick2:
Brilliant.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.

It wasn't meant to be a police box though, at least not permanently. 

Offline senecadawg2

Yeah...

You see, the thing for me is this. I don't claim what I saw was from outer space, or filled with aliens. I have no idea what was in the craft. I only know it was a saucer with circulating lights. Never seen any thing like it. It looked like the typical flying saucer we have all seen in pictures a million times. Over 30 years later I still watch the sky's looking for another glimpse. This time it would be different. I would not run, I would be fixated. Alas, it has not happened again.
My skepticism says to me, after all these years why has no contact been made if they have been out there that long. That's what makes me question what was inside the vessel I saw. I never have said I think it was aliens, cause I have no clue who it was.
It's got to be aliens. Probably not little green men though

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
I was hoping this was about meeting the band and was just in the wrong subforum.  :rollin
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline alirocker08

• Apparently not a hobbit
  • 'Sup, I'm a very short elf

It wasn't meant to be a police box though, at least not permanently.
Yes but it still flies around in the form of a Police Box, and structurally the outside of it is a police box, given the amount of times the Doctor affectionately pats the poor thing. I do have to wonder what a TARDIS pre-chameleon circuit looks like
ITT: We discover that Alice is elvish...
Psshh, your status as a hobbit has just been a cover. Your cover has been blown.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
What is the airborne velocity of an unladen UFO...?

Offline senecadawg2

What is the airborne velocity of an unladen UFO...?

Lolz. I guess that depends. Is it from the Kepler system or from Africa?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I was hoping this was about meeting the band and was just in the wrong subforum.  :rollin
When I was 17, I got my picture taken with Phil Mogg. I've posted it before
 but I can't with my phone.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol