Author Topic: Cup Reviews the 50 worst songs (according to Blender)  (Read 14123 times)

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
Cup Reviews the 50 worst songs (according to Blender)
« on: May 19, 2012, 12:12:44 AM »
Some years ago, the magazine Blender made a controversial list of what they considered to be the 50 worst songs ever.  Inspired by some random blogger who did this task before, I am to listen to all 50 songs and decide for myself whether or not they deserve the sort of sardonic bashing that Blender dealt.  You can probably find the original list and commentary if you google it.  Don't click on the official Blender link if you do that, though.  They took the list down some time ago. 

50. "My Heart Will Go On" - Celine Dion – 1998

Well, that sucked.  I almost want to give it some slack for having been made to promote a film (that I do not particularly like), but then considered a number of actual good songs and themes for films.  The made-for-film defense really doesn’t excuse this.  It’s dominated with outdated, crappy-sounding synths.  And not the endearing variety; those synth sounds aren’t so-wacky-they’re-cool.  They’re just disappointing.  They actual singing was alright, if a bit bombastic.  Shame she had to be singing this; her voice could have been used to serve the powers of good.  Music, that is.

49. "I'm Too Sexy" - Right Said Fred – 1992

Not bad.  It’s dumb, but at least it’s funny and you can tell he (they?) were having a laugh about it.  Also, it’s very catchy.  If I wasn’t the sort of person who doesn’t dance, I’d jig to this on the dancefloor or whatever kids use to dance on these days.  (Picket fences?)  Anyway, this is no bad song, let alone the 49th worst ever. 

48. "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" - Beatles – 1968

Sorry, there's no way this is worse than "My Heart Will Go On", let alone all of popular music, save for 47 other songs.  It's not necessarily one of the best Beatles tunes I've heard, but it's a good song.  I can see how it could be considered stupid or whatever for being lighthearted and not serious, but It's not banal and it's well-composed.  This successful piece of pop has no place here. 

More will come tomorrow. 

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Cup Reviews the 50 worst songs (according to Blender)
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 12:27:52 AM »
I think we need to make some room in the archive for this one, looking forward to it cup. :tup

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 12:30:16 AM »
make 'em say uuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 12:36:41 AM »
Interesting idea.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 02:03:53 AM »
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da doesn't deserve to be on a worst songs list at all. It's a harmless little song. There are several other tracks on the White Album that are worse, too.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 03:11:02 AM »
I'll follow this one cup

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 03:41:47 AM »
Nice! I don't even know the list, so this'll be double good.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 04:57:32 AM »
Following.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 05:30:38 AM »
Yeah, I've seen this list, so I know some of what will be coming up.
Still, I will be following, because there's no such things as the 'worst 50 songs ever'.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 02:10:58 PM »
yeah the fact that that beatles song made list is wtf material

Offline Ħ

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 02:14:08 PM »
My Heart Will Go On is fantastic. Overplayed back when the movie came out, but still fantastic. Amazing vocal performance.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2012, 02:15:53 PM »
Seriously?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2012, 02:18:39 PM »
My Heart Will Go On is fantastic. Overplayed back when the movie came out, but still fantastic. Amazing vocal performance.

Agree

Seriously?

And again, agree.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2012, 02:22:16 PM »
Looks more like an "un-cool songs according to us top 50 list"

Offline Ħ

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2012, 02:23:15 PM »
"I'm Too Sexy" was pretty terrible.

The Beatles song was, well....a Beatles song.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2012, 02:24:33 PM »
The Beatles song was, well....a Beatles song.

what does that even mean

Offline Ħ

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2012, 02:27:29 PM »
It sounded just like a Beatles song. That should tell you about the quality of the song.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2012, 02:31:32 PM »
Oh right. Pretty awesome.

Got ya! :tup

Offline Ħ

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2012, 02:32:29 PM »
Yes, the quality of the song was not surprising at all, given the fact it's a Beatles song. It certainly met my expectations.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2012, 02:34:30 PM »
It's one of the worst Beatles song but still doesn't deserve a spot in that list. If you think every Beatles song sounds like that then you didn't hear a lot.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2012, 02:36:34 PM »
Holy shit The Offspring ripped off the melody of that Beatles song for Why Don't You Get A Job :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2012, 02:39:17 PM »
It's one of the worst Beatles song but still doesn't deserve a spot in that list. If you think every Beatles song sounds like that then you didn't hear a lot.

I can think of one I really don't like but it's not top 50 worse of all time!

You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2012, 03:39:34 PM »
I'd say these 4 songs are pretty lame.  I dunno whether they'd be among the worst ever (I try to avoid listening to stuff that could fall into thier sorta territory), but there's plenty for me to bitch about.   

47. "The Only Thing That Looks Good On Me is You" - Bryan Adams - 1996

This is what happens when you gather up a few random blue-collar workers from a former Warsaw Pact nation, provide them with a vague definition of what 'rock music' is, and ask them to write and record a song of 'rock music'.  Very little outstanding about this.

46. "Hangin' Tough" - New Kids on the Block - 1989

Yeah, pop music's had its share of bu*9384 since always.  Like this, for instance.  There's just no way anyone at the time could have been taking this seriously unless they were under 11.  I'll take it over whatever's on the AM station nowadays, if only because I like the outdated synth bass and silly percussion effects.  The Ah-Ah-Ah-Ah-Ah part could work well if it was in a good song, possibly.

45. "Mesmerize" - Ja Rule feat. Ashanti - 2002

No thanks. 

This song really could benefit from

A. having more variety and not driving such a small amount of samples into the ground

or B.  being about 3 minutes shorter. 

A small amount of ideas can be put to real good use in a small amount of time (or a real long amount of time if you're clever, but I don't see Steve Reich on the credits list for production, so whatever).  But if you drag things out for longer without really doing anything interesting with them, you'll just be redundant.  Also, at one point, Ja Rule mentions that he drives a GMC Yukon.  I detest SUVs, so I give it one thumb down for promoting the Yukon and another for everything else. 

44. "I'd Do Everything For Love [But I Won't Do That]" - Meat Loaf - 1993

This song could have been alright if it was more reserved and wasn't 7 MINUTES LONG.  When I was younger, I did not like long songs (by long, I mean over 5 minutes or so).  Nowadays, I'm posting on a prog-metal forum, of course, but that aside, I'm relating more and more to my younger self about long songs.  Sure, a long song can be something fantastic, like, Dvorak's 9th or something like that, but there's a chance it could be this. 

More to come later today. 

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2012, 03:51:54 PM »
I don't get what everyone has against Obladi Oblada. It's far from one of the worst Beatles songs. In fact, probably a good half of the songs on any of their albums are worse.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2012, 04:02:13 PM »
I don't get what everyone has against Obladi Oblada. It's far from one of the worst Beatles songs. In fact, probably a good half of the songs on any of their albums are worse.

Fun lonestar tidbit.  When I was a senior in high school, and my pot smoking was at it's peak, my buddies and I used to go off campus to smoke during lunch.  The moment we got out of the parking lot, Obladi Oblada went on and we fired up.  True story.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2012, 04:39:10 PM »

This song could have been alright if it was more reserved and wasn't 7 MINUTES LONG.  When I was younger, I did not like long songs (by long, I mean over 5 minutes or so).  Nowadays, I'm posting on a prog-metal forum, of course, but that aside, I'm relating more and more to my younger self about long songs.  Sure, a long song can be something fantastic, like, Dvorak's 9th or something like that, but there's a chance it could be this. 

Dude... that's the radio edit.  The actual song is 12 minutes long.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2012, 05:04:29 PM »

Dude... that's the radio edit.  The actual song is 12 minutes long.
:lol :lol

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2012, 05:08:37 PM »
I hate every song posted thus far. I might like this list.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2012, 07:09:14 PM »

Sorry, there's no way this is worse than "My Heart Will Go On", let alone all of popular music, save for 47 other songs.  It's not necessarily one of the best Beatles tunes I've heard, but it's a good song.  I can see how it could be considered stupid or whatever for being lighthearted and not serious, but It's not banal and it's well-composed.  This successful piece of pop has no place here. 

this song (cover version) was also the opening them of the show Life Goes On, the first tv show to have a major character with Down Syndrome, Corky Thatcher.  You guys remember that show from the late 80's/early 90's?
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2012, 07:17:31 PM »
Interesting list. As hard as it is to come up with the 50 best songs, its so much more difficult to name the 50 worst songs.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2012, 08:23:22 PM »
Who Let the Dogs Out for #1?

Well it should be.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2012, 08:25:08 PM »
I'm betting Rico Suave is on the list.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2012, 08:55:28 PM »
Every song by Ja Rule shoudl be on this list.

Songs I bet are on that list:
Ooh Ahh Just A Little Bit by Gina G
Rico Suave
Macarena
Party All The Time by Eddie Murphy
That one other song by Bruce Willis
We Built This City by Starship
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2012, 09:00:44 PM »
Come Dancing by The Kinks should be on this list too.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2012, 09:01:25 PM »
The Ketchup Song?