Author Topic: Divorce settlements  (Read 1765 times)

Offline j

Divorce settlements
« on: May 18, 2012, 04:46:00 PM »
I've been reading about Deion Sanders' divorce settlement proceedings, which always calls to mind other high-profile divorces like Phil Collins, Paul McCartney, Michael Jordan, Hulk Hogan, Barry Sanders, Mel Gibson, etc.  I know I'm not the only one who finds a lot of the final terms of division of property, support, etc. to be completely ludicrous.

Sanders and his ex-wife had signed a prenup, but he was ordered to pay her something like $11k per month of child support, $3500 per month for the house she is going to stay in "sometimes," and $275,000 for her legal fees.  She was also seeking $14k per month for "spousal support."  I know this is *hardly* the craziest settlement ever reached, but it just blows my mind how some of the arguments for these huge payments go down:

1) Opportunity cost of the marriage - In other words, "I gave up a potential lucrative career as a model, doctor, or lawyer when I married you and agreed to stay home with the kids."  This is the only argument that seems legit to me from the outset, but how the proposed sums are arrived at I have no earthly idea.  Not only that, but after the divorce, the individual receiving spousal support has no obligation to better themselves in terms of employment or further education, or even to attempt to become self-sufficient.
2) I've grown accustomed to this lifestyle. - I don't see why this should be taken into consideration at all.  But apparently it's frequently invoked in these cases.
3) I signed the prenup under duress - I think this is what Sanders's wife claimed, and apparently the judge bought it.  I'm trying to think of conditions that could possibly constitute "duress" in the case of a prenuptial agreement, and I'm failing.

Feel free to add more.

I understand that the details of the marriage are not known, and it's not as simple as "Sanders was an NFL player and made all the money, so he is entitled to keep it."  But when it comes to celebrity exes demanding these exorbitant payments (and it's not just women), I don't have much sympathy, and it reminds me how badly I think divorce law needs reform.  Thoughts?

-J

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Divorce settlements
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 12:51:40 AM »
I don't think Pilar could make the argument that if she had not married Deion she'd have made more than what she was offered in the settlement.  The opportunity cost argument just doesn't fly in this instance.

Based on what they're saying about the settlement, it's kinda looking like she took a bath when compared to the pre-nup agreement.  She was looking at an 11 million dollar house, on top of child/spousal suppor with the pre-nup.  Now she's getting 10,500/month as a settlement? 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson