Author Topic: After watching When Dream and Day Reunite  (Read 16464 times)

Online pg1067

Re: After watching When Dream and Day Reunite
« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2018, 10:42:49 AM »
Its cool. But, I would prefer a remixed, and remastered version of the original. Like the Terry Brown remixes for the Status Seeker and Afterlife singles.  Those sound pretty damn good.

If the original stems even still exist (which I highly doubt) I would pay big bucks just to see it re-EQed from scratch.

Has anyone ever really done that? So many 80s recordings were so “tinny” that it would be interesting to back to the original bass and drum tracks and re-equalize them completely to make them “beefier”...not just a volume increase, but an actual bass level increase to give it a bit more low end.

I have no idea what a "stem" is, but WDADU was probably recorded on 2-inch 24-track tape.  If those tapes still exist, it would be little problem to remix them, including bumping the lows and/or highs, adding effects, etc.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jammindude

« Reply #71 on: August 17, 2018, 11:00:15 AM »
Its cool. But, I would prefer a remixed, and remastered version of the original. Like the Terry Brown remixes for the Status Seeker and Afterlife singles.  Those sound pretty damn good.

If the original stems even still exist (which I highly doubt) I would pay big bucks just to see it re-EQed from scratch.

Has anyone ever really done that? So many 80s recordings were so “tinny” that it would be interesting to back to the original bass and drum tracks and re-equalize them completely to make them “beefier”...not just a volume increase, but an actual bass level increase to give it a bit more low end.

I have no idea what a "stem" is, but WDADU was probably recorded on 2-inch 24-track tape.  If those tapes still exist, it would be little problem to remix them, including bumping the lows and/or highs, adding effects, etc.

Remember the bonus disc in BCSL that had all the individual parts completely separate so you could do your own mix? I might be using the wrong term, but I thought those were referred to as stems.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online pg1067

« Reply #72 on: August 17, 2018, 11:19:41 AM »
Remember the bonus disc in BCSL that had all the individual parts completely separate so you could do your own mix? I might be using the wrong term, but I thought those were referred to as stems.

Nope.  My BC&SL had three discs:  one was the album; one was the instrumental tracks (which I guess were for karaoke purposes, but I'm not sure I ever spent much or any time listening to them); and one had the several cover songs.

Like I said, I don't know what the term means, so you may be using it completely correctly.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #73 on: August 17, 2018, 01:15:06 PM »
The disc Ben's speaking about is actually a DVD that only came with the box set. The stems are indeed nice and I'm sure that if they were released for WDaDU, some improvement could be made. However the stems in reality are all the guitar tracks combined into one track, the vocals combined into another track, etc. To do a proper remix of the album, you'd really need to have the original multi-track recordings.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #74 on: August 18, 2018, 01:37:33 PM »
Where are the master tapes and what kind of shape are they in?

It's possible nobody even knows where they are. I'd love a massive box set of this album with different takes and different mixes, but I'm likely one of the few that would.

Something like this probably wouldn't sell due to lack of interest.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #75 on: August 18, 2018, 06:14:42 PM »
Did anyone buyout Mechanic Records?
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline PetFish

« Reply #76 on: August 18, 2018, 08:10:43 PM »

It's possible nobody even knows where they are. I'd love a massive box set of this album with different takes and different mixes, but I'm likely one of the few that would.

As I get older(?) I find myself caring less and less about special uber editions unless it's a CD/DVD combo with a live show.  I really don't even care about "making of" stuff these days except for movies.

I'm also thinking about dumping all of my special edition DT stuffs with hopes that other collectors will enjoy them now that I'm not really into it.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #77 on: August 19, 2018, 04:54:06 PM »
Did anyone buyout Mechanic Records?

Mechanic was always a sub-label of MCA Records.   I did some Googling, and it's a bit of a mess....but I believe all of MCA got folded into the Universal Media company, which is owned by NBC as near as I can tell?   But then it also said that much of the old music division went to Seagrams Company Ltd.   

Maybe I didn't read it closely enough, but it's kindof a mess.   I would be curious as to where all of Mechanic's holdings went to as well.  But I'm sure it went wherever the MCA Music industry ended up. 

Offline Trav86

« Reply #78 on: August 19, 2018, 05:03:03 PM »
Which means the master tapes should be in storage somewhere. 
Can't we find the minds

Offline jammindude

« Reply #79 on: August 19, 2018, 05:12:15 PM »
Actually, I went back and looked at my WDADU remaster and it was released through One Way Records....which was owned by Universal.  But according to Wiki, One Way closed in the early 2000's, and there's no info on what ever became of their assets.  Probably in the closet of the last owner of the company. 

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #80 on: August 19, 2018, 05:12:54 PM »
I wonder if this is a possibility now.  From what I understand, Mechanic had no interest in working in Dream Theater once they weren't signed to them and rereleased a ton of substandard versions of WDADU just to capitalize on their popularity.  Now that the label has switched hands so much, they may be interested in forking over the tapes for a good remaster, even if they just get a small fee.  Now that the music industry is in the state they're in, possibilities like that are much more likely whereas before they were hording anything and everything just to keep some sort of power in their empire. 

Offline Trav86

« Reply #81 on: August 19, 2018, 05:21:41 PM »
I figured if it were cheap enough, some label like Rock Candy (who does remasters of old, sometimes obscure albums) could buy the rights, get the masters and do a remix/remaster. Between die-hards, collectors and older fans who prefer the early stuff, they’re bound to make a profit.
Can't we find the minds

Offline jammindude

« Reply #82 on: August 19, 2018, 05:30:32 PM »
The next ripple in all this?

According to this website, the Chairman of One Way Records was David H Schlang in Albany NY. 

https://www.manta.com/c/mm3sw3q/one-way-records-inc

But according to this, David Schlang of Albany NY passed away Nov 1st 2016. 

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/timesunion-albany/obituary.aspx?n=david-schlang&pid=182316116&fhid=14517

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #83 on: August 20, 2018, 09:11:21 AM »
Regardless, we still don't know where the tapes are or whether they even still exist, even aside from the mess of who actually owns the rights to them.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #84 on: August 20, 2018, 10:19:23 AM »
Regardless, we still don't know where the tapes are or whether they even still exist, even aside from the mess of who actually owns the rights to them.

Or if, after all this time, the tapes have degraded beyond saving. Most of those masters all have had to be "baked," so that it could be then transferred to a digital format. If the masters are ever found, unless they were transferred long ago, they might be unusable.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #85 on: August 20, 2018, 09:46:00 PM »
Why go through all of that? It's not like WDADU is a super popular album among the fanbase anyway. And if they wanted to do something with it, they could just re-record the whole thing with the current lineup and release it as a bonus 2nd disc special edition for DT14, celebrating WDADU's 30 years (1989-2019).
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: August 20, 2018, 09:56:12 PM »
It isn't even worth that much time and effort. Art is a product of its time. WDaDU is an album recorded by some kids in the late 80s, and it sounds exactly like that. for better or worse. Why can't we just leave it at that? Why do we have such a desire to remaster, remix, redo everything more than 5 years old to try and achieve some level of modern-day technical "perfection?"
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #87 on: August 20, 2018, 10:00:35 PM »
I think what they did was perfect with the live release. But I would have no problem if they wanted to rerecord it with a more modern sound. Remix/remaster isn't going to do anything for me.

While the studio album sounds a bit clunky, I'm a huge fan of the songs. WDADRu is one of my favorite things they've done.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #88 on: August 20, 2018, 10:02:10 PM »
It isn't even worth that much time and effort. Art is a product of its time. WDaDU is an album recorded by some kids in the late 80s, and it sounds exactly like that. for better or worse. Why can't we just leave it at that? Why do we have such a desire to remaster, remix, redo everything more than 5 years old to try and achieve some level of modern-day technical "perfection?"

In most cases, I don't care.   It's just that WDADU is so unusually poor *even for its time period*....it's just so far below the bar.   

Not all remasters/remixes are worth it (and many of them don't really improve the final product much).   But when something is honestly this piss poor in the first place, you'd be amazed what a bit of touch up can do.   Honestly, just look at the remix/remaster of Soundgarden's Ultramega OK.   I was a huge fan of the original, and if you had asked me before hand, I would have said don't bother.   But honestly, the sound quality on the original was so bad, and the remix SO well done, that I have a hard time imagining how I could go back to the original.   

Some cases are extreme, and I think WDADU is one of those case.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #89 on: August 20, 2018, 10:05:19 PM »

In most cases, I don't care.   It's just that WDADU is so unusually poor *even for its time period*....it's just so far below the bar.   

Not all remasters/remixes are worth it (and many of them don't really improve the final product much).   But when something is honestly this piss poor in the first place, you'd be amazed what a bit of touch up can do.   Honestly, just look at the remix/remaster of Soundgarden's Ultramega OK.   I was a huge fan of the original, and if you had asked me before hand, I would have said don't bother.   But honestly, the sound quality on the original was so bad, and the remix SO well done, that I have a hard time imagining how I could go back to the original.   

Some cases are extreme, and I think WDADU is one of those case.

Pretty much all this.  Also, it's a great album and deserves to be heard in a decent way.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #90 on: August 26, 2018, 12:02:07 PM »

As I get older(?) I find myself caring less and less about special uber editions unless it's a CD/DVD combo with a live show.  I really don't even care about "making of" stuff these days except for movies.

I'm also thinking about dumping all of my special edition DT stuffs with hopes that other collectors will enjoy them now that I'm not really into it.

Depends on the band and the album for me.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #91 on: August 26, 2018, 12:03:28 PM »

Exactly.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #92 on: August 26, 2018, 12:06:23 PM »
Why go through all of that? It's not like WDADU is a super popular album among the fanbase anyway. And if they wanted to do something with it, they could just re-record the whole thing with the current lineup and release it as a bonus 2nd disc special edition for DT14, celebrating WDADU's 30 years (1989-2019).

As much as I love the album, there's no need to record this in the studio. the live performance as great for what it was.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #93 on: August 26, 2018, 12:57:38 PM »
Oh, I could go for a rerecord. Definitely. But yes I do love the live album and it really hits the spot.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #94 on: October 18, 2018, 10:57:14 AM »
This live album made me want to listen to the original studio album which I had never heard before except for Ytse Jam. I've heard/seen live stuff with Dominci and I never liked him so that's what kept me from ever giving the first album a chance.

I think the songs are good. Dominici sounds ok on the album. LaBrie doesn't sound so great singing the higher stuff on the live album. Too bad they didn't do a full live version back when LaBrie first joined because he sounds great on the live stuff from that time.

Back when I first heard the Reunite album, I was more inclined to listen to that but these days I'd rather listen to the studio version with Dominici.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #95 on: October 18, 2018, 01:30:23 PM »
About the live version, I really liked it, but I wish they took the oportunity and made also a version of it without the crowd and with studio overdubs, adding instrumentation and replacing some JLB parts, specially on LFaGA.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #96 on: November 04, 2018, 09:03:07 AM »
Still my personal favorite album from DT. Call me corny, but I don't hear the flaws, I hear a moment in time when the band was just starting to grow into their potential.

WDADU has an energy unlike anything else I've ever heard, and I'll never get tired of it.
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #97 on: November 04, 2018, 09:57:45 AM »
Still my personal favorite album from DT. Call me corny, but I don't hear the flaws, I hear a moment in time when the band was just starting to grow into their potential.

WDADU has an energy unlike anything else I've ever heard, and I'll never get tired of it.

Feel that way too although I can't say have a singular favorite. It's in that top group.