Author Topic: After watching When Dream and Day Reunite  (Read 16463 times)

Offline Frost134

After watching When Dream and Day Reunite
« on: May 18, 2012, 09:23:18 AM »
I have a new found appreciation for how good the album actually is. I feel like a lot of the hate on it is unwarranted. Aside from the lackluster production and Dominici's vocals (which aren't that bad in most cases), the album is pretty good.

Offline MarkFitDT

Re: After watching When Dream and Day Reunite
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 09:28:26 AM »
I agree. Its what got me into DT in the first place. I love the songs and CD's vocals dont bother me at all in fact some of the songs I think his voice suits more than JLB.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 09:28:30 AM »
I had a similar realization a couple of weeks ago, but just from listening to the REunite album. It really is a good, energetic album, with some fun stuff throughout. It's still on the bottom of my list of DT albums, but I appreciate it more.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 09:30:21 AM »
WDARU made me realize that the problems with WDADU go well beyond just the production or the vocalist. A couple of decent songs aside, most of that album just isn't good.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 09:32:15 AM »
Oh, I'd say it is more than just pretty good; it is really good!  Despite being a little rough around the edges at times, their songwriting abilities, from writing riffs and melodies to arrangements, were already really good, and the level of musicianship the four were showing at such a young age was impressive, to say the least.  The album's main flaws - the production/sound and a vocalist that isn't JLB - are obvious, but that doesn't take away from what an impressive debut it really was! :tup :tup

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 10:34:01 AM »
^ Agreed! I love WDADU for what it is.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 10:38:17 AM »
Oh, I'd say it is more than just pretty good; it is really good!  Despite being a little rough around the edges at times, their songwriting abilities, from writing riffs and melodies to arrangements, were already really good, and the level of musicianship the four were showing at such a young age was impressive, to say the least.  The album's main flaws - the production/sound and a vocalist that isn't JLB - are obvious, but that doesn't take away from what an impressive debut it really was! :tup :tup

I'm somewhere in the middle.  I agree with everything you said.  It is very good, and it is impressive, espeically as a debut album.  But as with most debut albums, it is flawed, and it is obvious the band were still finding themselves.  As such, it is (and probably always will be) my least favorite DT album.  But still a good album?  Yup.  And I have to admit, I never gave it the credit due or even really paid attention to it until WDADRU.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 10:38:55 AM »
I don't know if anyone actually 'hates' on it, though. I haven't spoken to many people who don't like it. It's a good album, but it doesn't quite measure up to the rest of their discography.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 11:02:11 AM »
I like it.  I rarely listen to it, mostly because the production is really, really distracting, but musically it's pretty incredible for a debut album.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 11:08:42 AM »
I like it.  I rarely listen to it, mostly because the production is really, really distracting, but musically it's pretty incredible for a debut album.

This. I like the album a lot...love the music......the beginning of 'The Ones Who Help to Set the Sun' is one of my Favorite DT intro's.....it's the sub par production that keeps it out of my 'regular' rotation. 'Afterlife' on SCORE is incredible and shows what that song 'should' have sounded like. Actually I guess WDADRU demonstrates what those songs 'should' have sounded like.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 11:23:41 AM »
I've always really dug WDADU.  I've listened to enough punk rock that poor production doesn't really ruin good music for me.  I just always figured that was the best they could do with the budget they had at the time.  No biggie.  The tunes all kick ass and the playing is phenomenal.  The thing that bugged me the most about it was how stupid they all look in their photo on the back.  I love Kevin's facial expression and hair though, he looks like a caveman. 

Also- I was at the WDADRU gig!  ;D  When Mike announced at the start of the second set that they were going to do WDADU in full it was a bonerrifc moment for me for sure.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2012, 11:27:21 AM »
I don't think the songwriting was ever a major issue.  At least not with most people.  The production was an issue.  WDADRU was better produced, so yeah there ya go.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Ħ

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 02:38:35 PM »
The songs from WDADU are easily my least favorite out of DT's catalog. They are amateur and unprofessional, IMO.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2012, 03:14:31 PM »
I love WDADRu! In fact, I consider THAT my #4 DT album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2012, 04:05:13 PM »
Even with bad production and Charlie on the vocal I rank them bottom of the my list. Though I love many vocals by Charlie, especially A Fortune In Lies is great. The only song that suffers absence of James' vocal is The Killing Hand. Others are just fine how they are.

But I feel, if this album had had great production and James on vocal I would have ranked it in the top, at least in top 3. I like lyrics, musics and arrangements. It's a classic album for sure.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 04:35:57 PM by SeRoX »
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2012, 04:09:00 PM »
I really love the debut album.

From the first listen it immediately clicked and I was so impressed by how much they pushed themselves. Definitely one of my favorites.

And it was recorded 20 minutes away from my house, so it has that bit of sentimental value going for it too.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2012, 04:23:29 PM »
The only song that suffers existence of James' vocal is The Killing Hand. Others are just fine how they are.

Really?  I LOVE James' voice on that song.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2012, 04:35:28 PM »
The only song that suffers existence of James' vocal is The Killing Hand. Others are just fine how they are.

Really?  I LOVE James' voice on that song.

OH GOD! Silly of me, sorry.  :facepalm: I mean absence of James' vocal. I fixed it and let's pretend you never read my post.  :sadpanda:
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2012, 05:30:17 PM »
I was going to say, The Killing Hand is the only song from WDaDU on which I actually prefer James on vocals. Don't get me wrong, James is clearly the more talented vocalist, but on that first album I think it just suits Charlie better, which is odd consider he himself complains about much of it not being in his range. :lol
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2012, 05:34:11 PM »

Totally with you Kev. WDaDU is what got me into the band way back in 1989, so it will always hold a special place in my heart, and I will rank it much higher than the vast majority of people (probably 3rd or 4th). Great album (even with the production and CD) that gets slagged too much on this forum, IMO.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2012, 05:37:36 PM »
FTR, it's probably 4th or 5th for me.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2012, 07:52:09 PM »
It's an amazing album in it's own right, and I definitely rank it in the top half of their discography.  Production aside, I actually like the "immaturity" of the song writing; the band had so much passion for their music back when they were that young, and they were obviously very happy to be making their first real album.  While a bit of compositional maturity certainly helped them on I&W, Awake and Scenes, they also lost a lot of their enthusiasm and spontaneity, and starting with 6DOIT, their albums gradually became more and more sterile and clinical, until the line-up change necessitated by MP's departure and the subsequent shift in the internal creativity of the band rejuvenated their musicality a bit.  Overall, I absolutely love the album for what it is; a snapshot of the band in their most immature, and therefore most creatively fertile and energetic, form.

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2012, 08:55:45 PM »
My third favorite Album by DT. I fell in love with AFIL and Status Seeker right off the bat, but now my favorites are LFAGA (So delicious prog) and TOWHTSTS (SO DELICIOUS PROG METAL). I love Charlie as a singer and really enjoy what he brought to the band.

Offline Jay.Ess

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2012, 10:48:54 PM »
I love the uniqueness of their compositional style on WDADU. Top 5 album for me.

Offline wolfandwolfandwolf

• Gym Rat
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Really Scrappy Player
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2012, 11:02:07 PM »
WDARU made me realize that the problems with WDADU go well beyond just the production or the vocalist. A couple of decent songs aside, most of that album just isn't good.
Like the ridiculous vocal acrobatics.  The phrasing on that record is really awesome, but impossible for anyone to sing.  Light Fuse and Get Away?  C'mon.

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2012, 02:16:51 AM »

Like the ridiculous vocal acrobatics.  The phrasing on that record is really awesome, but impossible for anyone to sing.  Light Fuse and Get Away?  C'mon.

That's an issue with early DT in general.  The Majesty Demos, UDADU, I&W, and Awake all have very impractical vocal parts on many tracks, I suspect because the band wrote many of those songs (except on Awake) without a singer actually in the band to tell them while they were writing the songs that they were nuts.   They cut back on that after Awake because of James' food poisoning incident, but up until then, they were writing some pretty insane vocal lines that would challenge any singer.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2012, 08:11:41 PM »
really enjoy WDADR, but i'll take the Live at the Marquee performances (studio vocals or not) over them any day, especially "The Killing Hand" (which really benefits from having "Another Hand" in front of it, imo).

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2012, 09:32:11 PM »
I was going to say, The Killing Hand is the only song from WDaDU on which I actually prefer James on vocals. Don't get me wrong, James is clearly the more talented vocalist, but on that first album I think it just suits Charlie better, which is odd consider he himself complains about much of it not being in his range. :lol

I think the reason that the songs suit Charlie more is because the vocal melodies were all him, sure the instrumental stuff was written and the melodies were composed by Charlie to compliment that, but I'm sure James' interpretation would've been different and it probably would've suited more his style and therefore James' vocals would probably be a better with the music if he was around for this album.
May The Force Be With You.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2012, 11:59:06 PM »
I kind of have an odd relationship with WDADU.  I consider it my least favorite DT album, but whenever I actually listen to it, I love it to pieces.  I think part of it is just that for me, James Labrie (love him or hate him) is a very important part of Dream Theater, and therefore WDADU doesn't feel like Dream Theater to me at all.  It's not that I find the album bad, because I don't.  I just consider it a fun album made by a bunch of kids before they found their correct vocalist and became the band they were meant to be.  No matter how hard I try, I have a tough time considering it to be a proper DT album. 

So I have this issue where when I'm ranking DT albums, WDADU pretty much slips my mind entirely.  But when I do listen to it, I have a hard time figuring out why I don't listen to it more. 

That being said, I think I actually prefer WDADU to WDADRU.  Maybe if they did a proper remake, a polished studio album with JLB on vocals, it would be different.  But just having heard the live version... I don't know.  Don't get me wrong, I consider JLB to be the superior vocalist, but CD's vocals suit most of the songs better, in my opinion.  Especially on Afterlife.  I honestly find it difficult to listen to the WDADRU version of Afterlife. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Cable

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2012, 10:53:05 AM »
I ONLY listen to WDADR for WDADU. JLB's voice makes it good (plus I LOVE Rectifier guitar tones), so it is a win for me. My friend also enjoys WDADR better, citing many things already said about WDADU.

That said, the songwriting was a little rough yes. But there still some great moments.
---

Offline darkshade

« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2012, 11:29:11 AM »
I ONLY listen to WDADR for WDADU. JLB's voice makes it good

Same here. The production doesn't bother me on the original album. I just can't get behind Charlie's voice; I don't feel like I'm listening to Dream Theater, but in actuality, Majesty.

Online Mladen

« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2012, 12:58:08 PM »
I'm not a fan of LaBrie's singing on WDADRU, therefore I rather listen to the original versions.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2012, 01:40:23 PM »

Totally with you Kev. WDaDU is what got me into the band way back in 1989, so it will always hold a special place in my heart, and I will rank it much higher than the vast majority of people (probably 3rd or 4th). Great album (even with the production and CD) that gets slagged too much on this forum, IMO.

My thoughts exactly. It blew me away at the time and I love it still. I like it's niaivity and the strange arrangements and songwriting. Many have criticised the "formulaic" approach of recent DT songwriting- well, this is the antidote.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2012, 02:50:21 PM »
WDADU is arangementally insane, I love it. Infact, I'll listen to it now.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2012, 09:30:40 PM »

That being said, I think I actually prefer WDADU to WDADRU.  Maybe if they did a proper remake, a polished studio album with JLB on vocals, it would be different.  But just having heard the live version... I don't know.  Don't get me wrong, I consider JLB to be the superior vocalist, but CD's vocals suit most of the songs better, in my opinion.  Especially on Afterlife.  I honestly find it difficult to listen to the WDADRU version of Afterlife.

I sort of see what you are saying, but my beef with WDADRU is JR overplaying some of the keyboard parts, which takes away from the melodic nature of them.  I get him wanting to put his own spin on them, but Moore's original parts were so perfect that I just hate seeing them messed with at all.