Author Topic: HAPPY 5TH BIRTHDAY DTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 27512 times)

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
damn, she's getting up there, gonna have to find a younger version.

:lol: trade her in for the new model. this one is starting menopause

Offline tartarus250

• peace love and good happyness stuff
happy birthday dtf i dont post alot i just like to lurk  mmmmbacon!!!!
The creation and destruction of harmonic and 'statistical' tensions is essential to the maintenance of compositional drama. Any composition (or improvisation) which remains consonant and 'regular' throughout is, for me, equivalent to watching a movie with only 'good guys' in it, or eating cottage cheese.

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
D'awwww Happy Birthday DTF!  :laugh:

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
happy birthday dtf i dont post alot i just like to lurk  mmmmbacon!!!!

Post more! We don't biteunlessyousay"please"
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Happy birthday DTF!!! We have been a match made in heaven!  :heart :heart :heart
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
For some reason I though this place was much older than that. 

This community goes back to when DT had an official forum in EZBoard back in, I think, 1999 or so.  Shortly after that, the forum resided at dreamtheater.net.  It was shut down on Mike's orders in November 2006, after which the fans from that online community set up an unofficial forum at DTF.com so that the forum community would continue.  During the 5-6 months it was there, it fragmented between (1) those who wanted it to be a DT-centered community, and (2) those who wanted it to be something else.  DTF.com became 5/8.  With help from some close to the band, I set up DTF.org the day 5/8 was launched, and the community once again continued.  (and I subsequently reacquired DTF.com, which now points here)  So, yeah, as a community in general, we date back to 1999 or so.  But in terms of this specific site run by me, we're 5.  Make sense?

Yeah, cool, I was completely unaware that 5/8 was in any way related to this site.  Very interesting how it all evolved.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
*Throws cake in face and drowns in club soda*

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
I remember joining up on the old EZBoard in 2000, about a month or two after it launched. Such a different place back then. And I also remember being on vacation when Itchy made the switch from EZBoard to vBulletin, when the board became part of DT.net in 2002. Damn, ten years since THAT happened.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
For some reason I though this place was much older than that. 

This community goes back to when DT had an official forum in EZBoard back in, I think, 1999 or so.  Shortly after that, the forum resided at dreamtheater.net.  It was shut down on Mike's orders in November 2006, after which the fans from that online community set up an unofficial forum at DTF.com so that the forum community would continue.  During the 5-6 months it was there, it fragmented between (1) those who wanted it to be a DT-centered community, and (2) those who wanted it to be something else.  DTF.com became 5/8.  With help from some close to the band, I set up DTF.org the day 5/8 was launched, and the community once again continued.  (and I subsequently reacquired DTF.com, which now points here)  So, yeah, as a community in general, we date back to 1999 or so.  But in terms of this specific site run by me, we're 5.  Make sense?

Yeah, cool, I was completely unaware that 5/8 was in any way related to this site.  Very interesting how it all evolved.

I forget sometimes that as newer people join here, or 5/8 for that matter, that they will not be aware of the shared history.  And it is an interesting one, with a lot of nuance that Bosk's capsule summary only touches on.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
Geez... it's really been 5 years?  That's insane. 
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
Oh and i've been around since .net so it's been more like 6 years being a member of this community for me... even though in the last year or so I've been posting less and less... don't really know why except that I don't have time or ability to sit down and post a bunch.  Also matters that my computer is broken (still because I have to continue to get my files off of it while I"m able to before I send it in)...
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
6 years for me in September.

• DT.net Member
Six years for me next month. SIXERS UNITE!!! :metardica::metardica::metardica:
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
Wowzers.  Has it really been 5 years already?

Ok - I know I haven't been posting long, but I've had a bird's eye view into the Dot Org/58 split ever since it happened because of who my SO is.  I vaguely remember that he and I were moving to a different apartment at the same time, which made everything a great big ball of "HELLO STRESS!".

I really don't know why it took me so long to join, but I've been lurking off and on since Dot Org's inception. :metal

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
This place really has been an internet home for me. It's one of the few places where I feel I might actually offer something more than just inane banter. It's also funny to me to have watched the demographic of this place change over the years.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

• DT.net Member
It's also funny to me to have watched the demographic of this place change over the years.

Gayness is indeed on the rise :P

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

Ok - I know I haven't been posting long, but I've had a bird's eye view into the Dot Org/58 split ever since it happened because of who my SO is.  I vaguely remember that he and I were moving to a different apartment at the same time, which made everything a great big ball of "HELLO STRESS!".

I really don't know why it took me so long to join, but I've been lurking off and on since Dot Org's inception. :metal

Yup.  You were there for those late-night conversations when we were getting the place set up.  Good times.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Azyiu

Wow! Has it been 5 years already? Geez... speaking of which, I've been away from here for nearly 18 months until recently. I started with the original DTF way back in 2002 or 2003, but I was never a heavy poster anyway. Regardless, happy birthday!
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • það besta sem guð hefur skapað er nýr dagur
Hey wow, totally off topic but seeing your username reminded me of this dream I had that you were doing a show in Belgium obscure. Like a gig with a band and you were the singer. I saw it in the newspaper or something like "OBSCURE COMING TO BELGIUM" with a pic of you on stage with a mic.

Pretty weird. :lol

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline secludedmayhem

• Town Apothecary
Happy Birthday DTF!  You were borne out of chaos, but grew into something beautiful.
The media, on the whole, behaves like a malicious, retarded kid with ADHD.

rumborak

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
bahahahahaha LMAO ......

obscure coming to Belgium......  :lol

thanks for letting me know hun.... I lol'd so hard  :lol

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • það besta sem guð hefur skapað er nýr dagur
Yeah I probably would've never remembered it if I didn't see your username today. :lol

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
Lord knows I needed that laughter  :laugh:

/derailment

Happy bday ma darling 

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
I´m proud being a part of this fine community altough a little bummed i didn´t found it sooner than about a year ago. I lurked around on the forum a couple of month before i joined so i´m late too the party.

Happy B-Day DTF!

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Well, I've not been here for long (3 months or so), but I already love this place to death. Happy birthday DTF!
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
HOLY SHIT YEAH HAPPY BIRTHDAY LOL!

I've not been really active as of lately, but I still carry you guys and gals in my  :heart
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?

Yup.  You were there for those late-night conversations when we were getting the place set up.  Good times.

While I was watching Pan's Labyrinth, if I remember correctly. ;) :metal

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
Here's a history lesson that I've only shared with a few people. This is basically elaborating a tad on bosk's post.

dt.net/bb was run by Itch and Balrog... er, Borlag. If I remember correctly, Itchy got fed up and the forum basically imploded because of differences between the community and the administration. The plug was pulled, so we were all left to find various safe havens to reside at. It was at this point that Thalagyrt stepped up to provide the servers and domain name for dtf.com. Over the course of my tenure as a poster, I befriended Thalagyrt. We talked on a regular basis and shared guitar chops back and forth on the then-popular stickam chat sessions frequently filled with myself, Thal, Nick, and Jen.

One night Thal came to me with an idea. He proposed an idea of dropping any association with Dream Theater, as they were rarely the focus of the forum. I, and I assume a few others, eventually persuaded him that it would be a good idea. It was on that night while we were still in our AIM conversation that fiveeightforums.com was born.

I never told anybody this because there was a backlash that none of us imagined would happen. The community was split right down the middle. On one side, there were the posters who enjoyed the laid back style of fiveeight, where the band could be freely criticized. On the other hand, there were users angry at the association drop and the apparent "hijacking" of the forum by Thalagyrt. Thus, dreamtheaterforums.org was born.

I never told anyone that I had a part in this because I didn't want to be shunned by the community that I loved. There were some very valuable members who post solely on fiveeight that I still miss to this day. That being said, I love THIS community the most, and now, at this point in time, I am proud to have taken part in its creation, however small that part might have been.

Happy birthday, DTF.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
Ahhhh, memories.  LOL 

I won't speak for this forum because I imagine bosk would have included a Political/ Religious section, anyway..... buuuut... I'd like to take some credit for the creation of the original P/R forum on DT.net.  I remember Itchy being completely against the idea, then right around the time of the 2004 election (Bush vs. Kerry), the forum EXPLODED and it was uncontainable.  Itchy literally would have had to ban like 75% of the forum for breaking the "no politics" rule.  I'd like to thank Ogre Jedi, Violent Green (RIP), Yustiniyan, Reisswolf (sp?) and a few others that I really can't remember because it's been a really long time..... those were some awesome times.  I went to that forum originally just as a DT fan, but learned a lot about how to debate, how to form an argument and also a lot about why I believe what I believe and also how naive I was about certain things.  I got my ass handed to me many times, but in retrospect, it was much needed.  I also got in a few zingers, too, I would say.  :)

Nice to see the P/R forum still going strong.  Yeah, you basically have me to thank for that.  LOL! 

(I'm kidding when I say that..... I really am)
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline SnakeEyes

..... anyone remember Steve French or A Change of Seasons?  (not the album, the DT.net member)
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
the internet was actually my idea....

so I trump you all

nevertheless, thanks to those who had the vision to resurrect and keep it going

Offline SnakeEyes

No way.  John Petrucci came up with the internet.  So, he could watch Guthrie Govan videos. 

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
*snip*
I never told anyone that I had a part in this because I didn't want to be shunned by the community that I loved.
*snip*

I can really understand where you're coming from.  I feel similar, as I want to be accepted at and by DTF for who I am and my own merits, not because of who my SO is.

It is what it is, man.