Author Topic: Audio Receiver help (starting reply #5)  (Read 500 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Audio Receiver help (starting reply #5)
« on: May 16, 2012, 04:36:21 PM »
I had a PS3, ran component to my TV for video and HDMI to my Samsung HT-WX70 for sound. Everything worked fine. Well, my PS3 kicked the bucket and so I got a new one, only problem is there is no sound now. I've tested the cable on something else, and it works. I've run my DVD player into the WX70 via HDMI to test the WX70 input and it works. I've run the PS3 into the TV directly via HDMI to make sure the HDMI output works and it's working.

I go back to running HDMI from the PS3 into the WX70 for sound and... nothing. I've been scouring the internet and trying different things and can't find a fix, and I'm hoping you guys can help. I know there are other ways (which I'm currently using) to get sound, but at the end of the day I want it how I had it, and I can't figure out why the fuck it's not working.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 06:14:33 PM by Nick »
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: PS3 sound system clucker**** help
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 04:46:05 PM »
In your system settings on the PS3, you should be able to configure your audio and video output to different ports.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 04:51:37 PM »
Yeah, that was the first thing I did.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 05:06:33 PM »
I have no experience with any of the equipment you're talking about.

That said, a couple of things come to mind.  The PS3 might be outputting through the right port, but in a format that your receiver doesn't get along with.  A higher bitrate, perhaps.  DTS could be another possibility.  I'm guessing you've already looked for such settings in the PS3, but you never know.  You might also look for alternate modes in your receiver.

The other possibility is that newer PS3's might have activated some form of DRM, which was one of the big selling points of HDMI, IIRC.  It's possible that if your receiver doesn't support the aforementioned DRM, then the PS3 won't output via HDMI.  I know that a lot of satellite subscribers recently got hosed by this when their providers implemented a system not supported by their older DVR boxes.  Pretty serious bullshit, frankly, but such is life nowadays. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 06:00:55 PM »
I have no experience with any of the equipment you're talking about.

That said, a couple of things come to mind.  The PS3 might be outputting through the right port, but in a format that your receiver doesn't get along with.  A higher bitrate, perhaps.  DTS could be another possibility.  I'm guessing you've already looked for such settings in the PS3, but you never know.  You might also look for alternate modes in your receiver.

Looking into it I'd say this is quite possible, and as a result I'm quite pissed atm.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 06:14:00 PM »
Alright, new question, can anyone suggest a good receiver that has 5.1 support, DRM support, and HDMI input or two.