Author Topic: El Barto's Top 20 Simpsons Episodes  (Read 19868 times)

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Re: El Barto's Top 20 Simpsons Episodes
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2012, 06:33:00 PM »
Bumping for updates.  Also, the season finale that just aired was an amalgamation of everything wrong with the show now.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2012, 08:36:23 PM »
Bumping for updates.  Also, the season finale that just aired was an amalgamation of everything wrong with the show now.

I watched it as well and I haven't been keeping up with this season but tonight's show was extra bad.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2012, 08:19:38 AM »
Update will be this evening.  I'm watching each episode as I list them and I took the weekend off. 

I've only seen one or two episodes from this season (and those were only because of football) and they were both pretty weak.  Like most episodes of the last 10 years, there are usually a couple of good laughs in them but not enough to make watching the whole thing palatable. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2012, 09:08:16 AM »
And to think of the time I wasted on YOU!.........I don't mean wasted. I mean uhh...umm...uhh...I love you.

The way Homer pointed at him directly in the face too  :rollin

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2012, 06:53:54 PM »
16.  Homer the Great  s06e12

You have joined the sacred order of the Stonecutters, who since ancient times have split the rocks of ignorance that obscure the light of knowledge and truth.  Now let's all get drunk and play ping pong!

Nothing particularly monumental, just an all around great episode.  Aside from having one of the best guest actors they've ever had, it's chock full of great jokes.  While I certainly have a fondness for the oddball episodes, there are plenty of episodes that are nothing more than the basic Simpsons formula done nearly to perfection.  This is a fine example of that. 

And the brilliance of Picard's characterization really can't be overstated.  Every line the man said was just about perfect.   
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2012, 07:42:12 PM »
You mean Stewart's characterization? :D

A Top 5 episode for me. "It's a secret." "Shut uuuuuuup."
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Riceball

• It's the economy, stupid.
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2012, 08:49:13 PM »
Approved. Fantastic episode :tup
I punch those numbers into my calculator and they make a happy face.

A $500 Musical Odyssey: Now accepting nominations

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2012, 08:58:47 PM »
You mean there was a time when guest stars DIDN'T play themselves?  What a strange concept.

Yeah, another classic episode.  I'm starting to wonder how some of my favorites will fare.  Guess I'll have to wait and see, especially since my favorite generally isn't bandied about as a "great" episode.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2012, 10:28:30 PM »
15.  Krusty Gets Busted s01e12

Hey hey .  This is not a lending library.  If you're not going to buy that then put it down or I'll blow your heads off.

This is pretty much where it all began.  It's the first episode where they really went for something bigger than their 23 minute allotment.  Despite predating a lot of what would become common traits, they still set up a lot of the stuff that would follow.  Most obvious is Krusty and Sideshow Bob.  It's also pretty damn funny.  Krusty's heart attack is still one of my favorite bits.

We kind of take for granted that there's a Sideshow Bob episode every year, and nowadays they're hardly worth caring about.  Here you have to give them props for figuring to do it in the first place, and thankfully, they set him up perfectly in this episode.  A dramatic reading of Dumas, singing Cole Porter, teaching etiquette to children.  Between the writers and Kelsey Grammer, they really hit this one out of the park.   Frasier's contribution to this show and the series in general is really monumental.  He's easily one of the three most important guest actors the show's had, and a lot of that is directly because of this episode. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Riceball

• It's the economy, stupid.
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2012, 10:38:18 PM »
Hopefully not the last Sideshow Bob ep. One of my favourite cartoon characters ever.
I punch those numbers into my calculator and they make a happy face.

A $500 Musical Odyssey: Now accepting nominations

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2012, 11:09:58 PM »
A good episode, and a highlight from Season 1. I wouldn't put any of that season's episodes so high on my list, though. Sideshow Bob is a great character.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2012, 06:41:38 AM »
Great choice. I've always really liked the Sideshow Bob episodes.

I would probably say that "Sideshow Bob Roberts" is my favourite out of all of them. I particularly love this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vey7GKNpl4Q

Offline masterthes

« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2012, 04:21:19 PM »
Most definitely following. And so yes on putting Krusty Gets Busted up here. I hope the episode with Bart confrontng Nelson is also on here, and please tell me at least one part of Who Shot Mr. Burns is on here?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2012, 04:25:00 PM »
Hey hey .  This is not a lending library.  If you're not going to buy that then put it down or I'll blow your heads off.

By far one of my favourite quotes ever from any episode of the simpsons, just brilliant!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2012, 04:29:37 PM »
Oh, and here's a hypothetical for you. If you could include the movie, would it be in or anywhere close to the top 20?

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2012, 04:37:49 PM »
I hope Homer's Enemy is on the list somewhere
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2012, 06:44:44 PM »
Oh, and here's a hypothetical for you. If you could include the movie, would it be in or anywhere close to the top 20?
Wouldn't rate.  Most modern era Simpsons have some good laughs in them, and the movie is no exception, but they're generally inconsistent and lack any of the other traits that can redeem a half-assed episode.  To really be worthy, the movie would have had to be consistently funny, rather than a few good laughs here and there.  If they'd taken the best 20 minutes of the movie they might have been able to make a decent episode, but they didn't. 

Off to see Rammstein and already well into my concert buzz, so no update tonight. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2012, 07:02:40 PM »
Wouldn't rate.  Most modern era Simpsons have some good laughs in them, and the movie is no exception, but they're generally inconsistent and lack any of the other traits that can redeem a half-assed episode.  To really be worthy, the movie would have had to be consistently funny, rather than a few good laughs here and there.  If they'd taken the best 20 minutes of the movie they might have been able to make a decent episode, but they didn't. 

Off to see Rammstein
and already well into my concert buzz, so no update tonight.

I'm so jealous, probably Top 3 concerts of my life  :metal

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2012, 06:52:10 PM »
14.  Much Apu About Nothing  s07e23

Willie, please, the children want to pick on someone their own size!

To me, the best part of the series has always been excellent social satire.  Like I said a few posts ago, the family Simpson isn't all that funny, but Springfield's a freaking riot.  This one is a pretty good example of that.  As much as I love seeing them turn to mob rule, which occurs several times here, I'm just as amused when they're stereotypical American sheeple.  I'm also pretty fond of Apu as a character.  No matter how decent and sensible he is, he's always a convenience store clerk first and foremost. 

A couple of other selling points is that this one features Fat Tony, who's one of my very favorite characters on the show (when he tells Apu "your parents are Herb and Judie Nahasapeemapetalon," it floors me every time). Also the cold opening with the bear terrorizing Ned Flanders is wonderful. 
E.F. Benson

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2012, 12:11:08 PM »
Is that the episode Apu leaves the kwik-e-mart?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2012, 12:23:58 PM »
It's the one where he needs to get his citizenship.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2012, 02:37:13 PM »
Oh yeah, I like when he changes his voice.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2012, 02:48:40 PM »
Oh yeah, I like when he changes his voice.
The Nye Mets are my favorite squadron.   :lol
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2012, 04:40:23 PM »
13.  You Only Move Twice  s08e02

Homer, on your way out, if you want to kill somebody it would help me a lot.

Not really a whole lot that needs to be said about this one.  We've all seen it and we all think it's great.  I like how each character has their own subplot, and they all work.  And of course Albert Brooks is awesome every time he does the show.  I think he might have been better as Jacques, but Hank Scorpio is certainly a much better character. 

Interestingly, I have a hard time placing this one.  It's a great episode, and full of good laughs, but it just doesn't have any one thing that makes me think it's better than, say, the one above it or below it.  In many ways it's better than some upcoming ones on the list, but some of those just possess a charm that I don't see in this one.  Still, it's certainly a masterful effort and one of their very best.

Also worth noting that we're now getting to the part of my list that I'm more comfortable with.  Picking 10-20 was much harder than picking the top 10.  Most of what comes next is pretty much set on my list, even though I figure plenty will disagree with some of them.
E.F. Benson

Offline krands85

« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2012, 05:11:53 PM »

Hank  :hefdaddy

Nice thread. I checked out the episode from season 17 you mentioned (after barely seeing any episodes after around season 13) and was pleasantly surprised. Some aspects of it were still a bit annoying but it was a pretty solid episode  :tup  I wouldn't put it near any of the classics from the first 9 or 10 seasons though.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2012, 05:13:40 PM »
One of my favourite clips from that episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VX4Lpf-xdg

Kosmo

« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2012, 05:16:02 PM »
Very casual, Mr. Scorpion.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2012, 06:05:53 PM »
12.  Simpson and Delilah  s02e02

Some nerve, telling us how to run the plant.  He doesn't even have hair.

Lot of things about this one that I really like.  The montage of Homer running down the street with the giant head of hair is wonderful.  The superficiality of the power plant workers, as well.  Homer sporting a different hairstyle every day was a great touch; particularly the pony tail.  It's best asset though is the artistry with how it's drawn.  There's nothing artistic about the show nowadays, but in the past they put a lot into it, though.  Along with Burns Verkaufen der Kraftwerk, it's one of the better drawn episodes they did.  The aforementioned celebratory run down the street, and in particular the executive washroom scene are top notch.  The latter, with Smithers walking away as it pans across the checkered floor which morphs into the exterior of the building with the cooling towers behind it is stylistically some of the animators finest work, IMO.  That sort of touch seemed to disappear once they started mimicking other film styles all the time.  Too bad, really. 
E.F. Benson

Offline masterthes

« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2012, 06:34:57 PM »
YES! I love that episode!

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2012, 07:18:58 PM »
Well, now our opinions are diverging wildly. Much Apu About Nothing is my least favorite Season 7 episode, and Simpson and Delilah is my least favorite from Season 2. BUT, I agree that You Only Move Twice is good!
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2012, 08:13:58 PM »
I don't exactly like the first two seasons at all, so I'd tend to disagree. Haha.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2012, 08:43:26 PM »
Three great picks.  Great special guests who didn't play themselves, and great stories.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #67 on: May 26, 2012, 11:46:56 PM »
I kinda like Hank Scorpio....
That Drummer Guy's Reviews, Interviews, Playlists, Radio Shows, & Social Media:
https://www.thatdrummerguy.com

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: May 27, 2012, 03:59:25 AM »
For some reason, I've never gotten into The Simpsons. I think I'll use the episodes in this list as a starting point. :tup
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Kosmo

« Reply #69 on: May 27, 2012, 04:12:22 AM »
For some reason, I've never gotten into The Simpsons.

ಠ____ಠ