General > Movies and TV

El Barto's Top 20 Simpsons Episodes

(1/34) > >>

El Barto:
I finally got around to ranking my favorite episodes, and since I get off on the sound of my own voice, I'll be telling you all what they are.  I'll probably only update this with one, maybe two, episodes a day, as I intend to watch each one before posting it.  I'd certainly recommend that people scare up 21 minutes a day to check these out.  If you're a fan, then you've already seen them and probably like them, and if nothing else it'll be a good excuse for us all to randomly throw out funny lines.  For people who never got into The Simpsons, it'll be a good opportunity to see some of the great ones, which you'll either like or not like, but at least you'll have given it a good chance.

20.  Mother Simpson s07e08

LOCAL MAN LOSES PANTS, LIFE
Beaver Rescue Falls Short

This was the last to make my list, and bumped something I really liked, but upon further review it really encompasses all the aspects that made the show great.  It begins with a great comedy sequence with Homer faking his death and the aborted beaver rescue.  You've got a fantastic flashback sequence, one of the things this show always excelled at.  There's a good, developing story as opposed to random acts of madcap wackiness.  Lastly there's a very touching ending, something that was common in the early episodes and nonexistent in the latter ones.  It's certainly not perfect by any means, but it's a very solid episode with some hints of greatness.

Uncharacteristically, this episode makes excellent use of music, both original and classic.  The scene of Joe Namath whipping out that long hair while Cream starts up is one of my favorite bits from the series, and All Along the Watchtower is nearly perfect, as well.  Then you've got the Mother Simpson theme that seems to have been written just for the ending with Homer looking at the stars.  I believe it's the only ending that didn't include any promos, just credits and Clausen's theme.  Nice touch and really kicks the episode up a notch. 

Dr. DTVT:
Following.

It's episodes like this that they need to go back to making.  Without thinking too much about it, I doubt more than one episode beyond season 9 will be on the list.

BlobVanDam:
A fairly good episode, although I consider it one of the later good ones. There's something about it that starts signalling the end, although I can't quite put my finger on it at this time.

Pols Voice:
Really good episode that might make my top 20 as well. The beginning is hilarious, and the ending is one of the most touching moments the show ever did. :tup

Riceball:
Following.

Hopefully nothing later than this episode makes it in.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version