Author Topic: A writing I worked on...would love a critique  (Read 738 times)

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
A writing I worked on...would love a critique
« on: May 14, 2012, 03:52:29 PM »
I had been begging her for months to paint me a picture of cherry blossoms. And, my requests were completely loaded. I had wanted to get cherry blossoms tattooed on my inner arm while she didn't want me to get another tattoo without having some sort of special meaning to it. My plan was bullet proof:

1.) Tell Courtney how much I loved cherry blossoms
2.) In separate conversations, bring up how I'd love to get something she painted tatooed on my arm
3.) Get her to do the dirty work
4.) Get cherry blossom tattoo

As anyone can tell, it was perfect. I would manipulate that child's brain into doing my bidding. Except for a.) she saw through the plan and b.) I messed up the plan horribly. Either way, I still wanted the tattoo and the painting. Christmas in 2011 rolled around and the picture came. It was perfect. Two long branches jutted out over a gradiant blue sky. Off the branches were perfect cherry blossoms, pinker than what I would have imagined. Honestly, it wasn't what I envisioned at all. I was expecting perhaps one or two blossoms on a green background. However, what she did was better than I envisioned. And, that really got me to thinking.

Courtney and I really share no interests. Sure, we enjoy a few of the same television shows or movies, maybe a few songs and the list goes on like that. We don't share any real interests. I love baseball, she loves the outdoors. I love computer games and she loves to paint. Really. The commonalities people tend to search for in meaningful relationships (we've all see the eHarmony ads! 27 levels of compatability!) are almost absent in ours. The concept of a "perfect match" simply doesn't apply. Yet, we've been together for five and a half years and in 12 days, we are committing ourselves to one another. And, I couldn't be happier. She really is my favorite person. Meeting her on pure circumstance and the way we grew to know and love one another was given so much to chance, that, I am convinced it was God bringing us together. How does this work?

As I've become older, my tastes in many things have changed. Well, my taste buds in general have changed. While I still love to make a glutton of myself on 4lb burritos or the majestic Tom-Tom Burger, I have found that my preferences have changed in food. I find myself looking for foods whose flavors mix into a medly of tasteful delight while I visciously masticate it. I don't need an overload of the same flavor, I want flavors that compliment one another. From something as simple as peanut butter and jelly to finding which beverage bests brings out the flavors in your meal, the possibilites are absolutely endless.

I think about all of this and look at the cherry blossoms that were painted for me. The hues of pinks, blues and browns work in perfect unison. While the three dominant colors are nothing a like, they all help display the best qualities in the others. The sturdiness of the brown emphasizes the delicateness of the pinks and softens the blue background. In a wonderful way, it hit me. I realized that the painting reflected who Courtney and I were as a couple. While I'm pretty sure it wasn't intentional on the artist's part, I can see it clearly. Courtney and I have colors that are completely different, yet bring out the best in one another. She knows what I need to succeed, and I know what she needs. We actively try to challenge each other to better who we are currently. While the cherry blossoms are just a painting, you can see that the colors never quit being their color. They are a constant. Because we are not still, we have to be active in prioritizing each other. I won't say we are perfect at it - in fact we are far from it. But, I know that if I live the rest of my life loving and complimenting her with 100% of my being, I'll live knowing that I was just as beautiful as the picture of the cherry blossoms.

quick edit: these are clearly some deep feelings I'm opening up to you guys, so try to be nice :)

Offline senecadawg2

Re: A writing I worked on...would love a critique
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 07:27:50 PM »
It's interesting. To be completely honest, I'm not entirely sure what this is for (I don't mean that to sound like I'm a dick). Care to elaborate a little on the background?
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 09:01:04 AM »
You're going to use this at your wedding or reception maybe?

The sentiment is nice, the prose is pretty good, flows smoothly, I think.

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 12:59:03 PM »
stop talking about how much you love your wife already

we all know, we've all heard cause you won't shut up about it

Offline wolfandwolfandwolf

• Gym Rat
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Really Scrappy Player
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 10:39:12 PM »
stop talking about how much you love your wife already

we all know, we've all heard cause you won't shut up about it
Not even necessary.  Go play outside or something.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 10:59:11 PM »
If you'd like a critique, it would be helpful to know what the OP is for. Is it just to share your thoughts on a forum? Are you writing a book? Submitting something to Reader's Digest? Knowing what level of professionalism to look for helps when conjuring a critique.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 11:10:11 PM »
^ Yup. If you're just getting your feelings on paper, great job! It was a fun read.

If you're looking to write creatively on a semi-professional level or to be published, then we'll have a different discussion.