Author Topic: Toto  (Read 52553 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Toto
« Reply #385 on: October 19, 2020, 01:02:54 PM »
Kind of weird to not have Paich or Steve Porcaro involved at all but they're still calling it Toto. Might be the name branding though... you'll draw more people if it's billed under Toto. The new faces won't be much of a bother on tour, I think, since Toto has a long history of playing with various people. Wonder if they'll do any studio work, though, and what it would be released as. Guess we're playing the waiting game.

Also I echo Kwyjibo's thoughts 100%
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #386 on: October 19, 2020, 01:30:16 PM »
Yeah what Kwyjibo said 100%

I'm completely honest here, I'm not all that excited about this with Paich and Steve Porcaro nowhere to be found.

To be fair, Paich leaving is not much of a surprise, considering they almost had to cancel the world tour because of his health issues a couple of years back! I was hoping that Steve would have continued though.. :sad:

Offline romdrums

« Reply #387 on: October 19, 2020, 01:41:07 PM »
My Dad was a huge Toto fan.  Growing up, I remember listening to the debut, IV, and The Seventh One A LOT.  After he passed away in December, I got his vinyl and cd collections, and for some reason, I decided to put Farenheit and The Seventh One on, and I went specifically to the Farenheit title track and Stop Loving You, and I couldn't get them out of my head.  Farenheit, the song, is like the quintessential 80's track, and Stop Loving You is such an overall great song.  Anyway, I ended up really digging into their catalog, and bought up the few things my Dad didn't have.  Needless to say, they've been in pretty regular rotation since June.  I've mostly been drawn to the Simon Phillips years, because the 80's stuff is so ingrained in me.  And man, Tambu, Mindfields, and especially Falling In Between are some great records.  In fact, I would dare say that Falling In Between is their most complete album experience.  Hot take, I know, but for me, it's the most consistent album in their catalog.  Also, I discovered my dad had Simon Phillips' Protocol records (II-IV) and those are phenomenal records as well.  I then went and got the Hiromi Trio Project albums and the new Derek Sherinian solo album to boot, simply because Simon played on them.  Such a great drummer.  And, it helps me stay connected to my Dad, because he was a huge fan of both Jeff Porcaro and Simon Phillips. 

As for the announcement, I'm very interested to see what this new lineup is capable of.  Spud Searight on drums is a beast.  Has the groove of Porcaro and the chops of Phillips, so it will be interesting to see what music they decide to play.

Finally,  I think I would rank the Toto albums as follows for me:

1. Falling In Between
2. The Seventh One
3. Toto IV
4. Mindfields
5. Kingdom of Desire
6. Toto
7. Tambu
8. Farenheit
9. Toto XIV
10. Hydra
11. Isolation
12. Turn Back
13. Toto XX: 1977-1997
14. Old is New

Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #388 on: October 19, 2020, 01:49:57 PM »
Yes, Paich not touring is no big surprise but still it would be nice to have him around, and Steve Porcaro took a backseat for a long time before going on tour again, so he's probably not that keen on constant touring either.

I hope that somewhere along the line they go into the studio and hopefully Paich and Porcaro wiil be there with them.

@romdrums: Putting Falling In Between as favorite isn't that hot of a take imo. Although it isn't my favorite it's a damn fine record. And when it came out many thought it to be one of their best records.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #389 on: October 19, 2020, 01:51:03 PM »
FIB is an awesome record, for the longest time it was my second favorite Toto album. It's varied and has lots of great performances from each singer, and Bottom Of Your Soul is probably a top 10 Toto song imo.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #390 on: October 19, 2020, 02:16:09 PM »
FIB is an awesome record, for the longest time it was my second favorite Toto album. It's varied and has lots of great performances from each singer, and Bottom Of Your Soul is probably a top 10 Toto song imo.

Bottom of Your Soul is indeed a great tune.

One of the things I really appreciate about the albums from Kingdom to Falling is that it feels like they were able to really stretch out and develop musically.  Jeff Porcaro, in particular, sounds like he's having a blast on KoD.  I knew he had the chops, but to hear him stretch out like he does on Jake to the Bone, I didn't know he had THAT in him.  He never struck me as the guy who played to play.  And, bringing Simon into the band, in my opinion, really allowed them to stretch out even further.  I think he was a brilliant choice to replace Jeff.

Also, a few of the songs from that era wouldn't have sounded out of place on a Hogarth-era Marillion record.  To my ears, Lukather and Hogarth take a somewhat similar approach to creating vocal melodies, and I think the comparison is strongest on songs like Simple Life, After You've Gone, Better World, and Bottom of Your Soul. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #391 on: October 19, 2020, 05:40:41 PM »
This announcement comes one year to the day that I saw them live locally, which seemed at the time to maybe be their second to last show...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBPQUQB_4co Toto performing Hold the Line from that evening one year ago, miss this so much

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #392 on: November 12, 2020, 01:25:03 PM »
Steve Lukather (a.k.a. "Luke") and Joseph Williams will release individual solo albums on February 26, 2021 via The Players Club / Mascot Label Group. Both artists have made significant contributions to the other's album. Earlier this year, the label presented "Run To Me" from Luke's forthcoming release "I Found The Sun Again".

Kinda of a cool idea, will check this out.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #393 on: November 12, 2020, 01:25:23 PM »
Duuuude! AWESOME!!

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #394 on: November 12, 2020, 01:53:23 PM »
Yeah, about time for a new Luke solo record  :metal and I will surely check out Joseph's as well.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #395 on: November 21, 2020, 12:15:41 PM »
Caved in and bought a ticket for the livestream. Begins in 40mins. Will be interesting to hear what the band will sound like.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #396 on: November 21, 2020, 12:17:50 PM »
Caved in and bought a ticket for the livestream. Begins in 40mins. Will be interesting to hear what the band will sound like.
I'm very apprehensive. (won't watch it)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #397 on: November 21, 2020, 12:36:30 PM »
I'm very apprehensive. (won't watch it)
Me too in a way but they hired some great musicians so it may not sound completly like Toto but I think it will sound great and atleast I get to see Sput do some shuffle.  :laugh:

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #398 on: November 21, 2020, 01:42:14 PM »
Oh they just played You Are The Flower, don't think they ever played that live.  :tup

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #399 on: November 21, 2020, 01:56:13 PM »
Oh they just played You Are The Flower, don't think they ever played that live.  :tup
they did, at my first Toto show aged 9. But yes, it's not one they usually play live.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #400 on: November 21, 2020, 02:05:05 PM »
they did, at my first Toto show aged 9. But yes, it's not one they usually play live.
Oh nice, didn't know that.

Btw Sput is playing Rosanna with his left.  :lol 

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #401 on: November 21, 2020, 02:19:55 PM »
That was kinda short but a good show with a mixed setlist. It sounded like Toto to me although it's weird not hearing a roar from an audience. Joseph was just great!

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #402 on: November 21, 2020, 03:33:52 PM »

Odd choice imo, one of the few songs that are solely written by Kimball.

They got a cool band and I hope they can tour sometime in the future, would like to see them again.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #403 on: November 21, 2020, 04:51:41 PM »

Odd choice imo, one of the few songs that are solely written by Kimball.

They got a cool band and I hope they can tour sometime in the future, would like to see them again.
It was actually a tribute to Kimball by Joseph.

They have a bunch of dates booked so hopefully that will happen.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #404 on: November 22, 2020, 01:00:58 AM »
That's cool, the trbute thing. Don't know what they, especially Luke, think of Bobby now, but he was undeniably a big part of Toto.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #405 on: November 28, 2020, 09:33:49 AM »
Seem like it's the last time we'll see the remaining original members perform together, atleast with Steve Porcaro. There was a major dispute going on between him and Lukather, that's why the band disbanded abruptly a year ago according to Lukather.

"I haven't spoken to Steve Porcaro, one of my oldest best friends, and I don't know if I ever will. I was accused of things I never did, and I was really upset by it. David Paich and I lost an incredibly expensive battle over a mistake I didn't make that was blamed on me. People made up their own backstories. It was really complicated.

Lukather said the final shows were "miserable and hard", although the band tried to deliver the best shows as the tour wound down. The experience left him feeling "isolated and blamed for things I didn't do, " he noted. Even after he'd proved his innocence," there were "no retractions, as there was someone who wanted to destroy us and our friendships.

It's all soul crushing. I didn't want things to end, but we were sued of it and now we're buried in legal debt, and I don't want to fight it anymore."
As usual it's hard to tell who's to blame since my gut feels that Lukather is the kind of person that blurts out whatever is on his mind for better or worse without thinking twice which probably get's him in trouble even if he means well. I'm reading his book right now and yea...  :lol

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #406 on: November 28, 2020, 09:44:59 AM »
That's kinda heartbreaking! :(

Wasn't aware of any bad blood between Lukather and Porcaro, but that sounds pretty serious!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #407 on: November 28, 2020, 11:28:00 AM »
Wow W.T.F!!

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #408 on: November 28, 2020, 03:12:31 PM »
I heard before that Luke and Steve P. hadn't spoken for a long time, but it was mostly blamed on Steve P. (by Luke) who didn't want to tour anymore.

And yes, Luke is quick to put the blame out there and speak things that are better left unsaid, or at least said in private. It's just sad that it should end like this.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #409 on: December 01, 2020, 06:40:08 AM »
Not sure if this has been posted here before, but this Toto medley is dope:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1EV_5U6GGo

The guitarist has put together a few of these types of things.  He's also done this for Pink Floyd, Genesis, Queen, and an 80's one that is pretty cool.  Obviously, these guys are all serious players (the drummer has played on a Flower Kings record, even), and they have a real respect for the material they do.  This one is particularly great!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #410 on: December 01, 2020, 01:05:08 PM »
Yea The Martin Miller Session Band is awesome!  :tup

Online gazinwales

« Reply #411 on: December 03, 2020, 12:26:02 PM »
New Luke song, pretty laid back, but killer song writing and solo;
https://youtu.be/ZTJVqXGj1dc

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #412 on: December 03, 2020, 12:40:30 PM »
Sounds like a song firmly targeted in the direction of Susan Porcaro.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online gazinwales

« Reply #413 on: December 19, 2020, 03:44:54 PM »
Finished reading Luke's book, a great read, I knew he played on a lot of records, but geez he was a busy lad back in the day.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #414 on: February 18, 2021, 11:39:01 AM »
Rick Beato interview with Lukather...

https://youtu.be/OuCscgfbtw4
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #415 on: February 19, 2021, 11:10:01 AM »
 I have a slot to interview Steve Lukather next week. Does anyone have questions for him?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #416 on: February 20, 2021, 07:15:57 AM »
How does it feel to play large arenas in Europe but only play 1000 seat arenas in America?

Not that I'm complaining,  6th row was amazing 2 years ago.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #417 on: February 20, 2021, 08:18:24 AM »
How does it feel to play large arenas in Europe but only play 1000 seat arenas in America?

Not that I'm complaining,  6th row was amazing 2 years ago.

That's a good question!

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #418 on: February 20, 2021, 08:37:32 AM »
What's in it for the new Toto with only him and Joe Williams as long time members. Just touring (after covid of course) or are there any plans to maybe record some new songs?

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #419 on: February 26, 2021, 08:38:54 AM »
 This is the interview I did with Steve, where we talk about the new Toto lineup, his new solo album, the friendship with Ringo, doing the G3 shows, losing Eddie Van Halen, and much more: https://www.sonicperspectives.com/interviews/interview-with-steve-lukather/?fbclid=IwAR3yVjPhYdsPDpHTtPa39EGTrRB2U8cBhG53Oorn2SyhJtr_LppfXy2cyZs