Author Topic: Toto  (Read 52318 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Toto
« Reply #315 on: July 05, 2019, 01:04:03 PM »
Yeah, but Luke will be the first to tell you he tells it like it is, and honestly I can understand his frustration. Bobby's always had a troublesome streak. It's a shame.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #316 on: July 05, 2019, 01:39:39 PM »
Yeah, but Luke will be the first to tell you he tells it like it is, and honestly I can understand his frustration. Bobby's always had a troublesome streak. It's a shame.
True, that's how I always pictured Luke. Nothing new that Bobby struggled in Toto but I honestly didn't know about the struggle he had with Bobbys singing in the studio, thought it was more a live thing.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #317 on: July 05, 2019, 01:58:45 PM »
Seriously, that's some low-level shit to be flinging publicly.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #318 on: July 05, 2019, 02:24:20 PM »
I don't believe that Bobby was that bad right from the start. They wouldn't have recorded 4 records in a row with him and they wouldn't have reunited with him many years later if he couldn't sing a note straight.

And yeah, Luke tells it like it is, but whenever he does that it's extremely insulting and negative, maybe he should tone that down a bit. And he's certainly no saint either.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #319 on: July 05, 2019, 04:31:54 PM »
^^ He's totally aware of that and I think that plays into why he's so blunt about stuff like this. Basically he just owns up to the shit he used to do so he has no problem talking about it. It is a pretty low dig at Bobby to lay in about his performance in the studio though. I think he also went public with comments about Bobby's voice being overdubbed on the Falling In Between tour DVD?
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #320 on: July 05, 2019, 04:53:26 PM »
Steve addresses the Bobby situation in the book, about his vocals. He highly commends the studio engineer (he is/was a Toto member, I can't recall his name at this moment). Steve says that the engineer was the most patient soul when Toto was in the studio when recording vocals. So the issues apparently have been there for a long time (Bobby's vocals).

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #321 on: July 06, 2019, 04:28:38 AM »
Steve addresses the Bobby situation in the book, about his vocals. He highly commends the studio engineer (he is/was a Toto member, I can't recall his name at this moment). Steve says that the engineer was the most patient soul when Toto was in the studio when recording vocals. So the issues apparently have been there for a long time (Bobby's vocals).
Yea I would guess Steves patient is pretty limited.  :lol Could that be Mike Porcaro perhaps?

Have to read that book btw!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #322 on: July 07, 2019, 04:58:52 AM »
Yea I would guess Steves patient is pretty limited.  :lol Could that be Mike Porcaro perhaps?

Have to read that book btw!
I have the book and I can tell you it's very well worth reading IMHO (more than once too). A word of warning though: Luke is brutally honest. (like myself) That may not be anyone's cup of tea and may require some getting used to.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline frogprog

« Reply #323 on: July 08, 2019, 02:59:28 PM »
Great book! I really learned a lot reading it.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #324 on: July 11, 2019, 06:16:05 PM »
I hope it's ok to post this here. Although Simon Phillips' output is by no means reduced only to Toto, he was famously involved with them. I had the chance to interview him and talk about Toto, The Who, Judas Priest, Jack Bruce, Derek Sherinian and many of his other endeavours. Check it out!!!!

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/interviews/interview-with-simon-phillips/

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #325 on: October 10, 2019, 05:41:57 PM »
Katt would be so proud, I listened to Toto all day.  Made a youtube playlist of their set and just kept listening.  Looking forward to seeing them in 9 days for the first time.  I hardly know anything of them besides a few of the hits so this is a nice musical discovery of something different.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #326 on: October 10, 2019, 07:32:55 PM »
Katt would be so proud, I listened to Toto all day.  Made a youtube playlist of their set and just kept listening.  Looking forward to seeing them in 9 days for the first time.  I hardly know anything of them besides a few of the hits so this is a nice musical discovery of something different.

HELL YEAH BROTHER  :metal

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #327 on: October 10, 2019, 07:57:36 PM »
Get out!  That's awesome.  I love seeing them live!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #328 on: October 11, 2019, 12:19:54 AM »
I listened to Toto all day.

There are better ways to spent your days, but not many.  :metal :metal :metal :D

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #329 on: October 11, 2019, 01:00:41 AM »
They usually sound great live so I think you will dig it. I feel Joseph brought some new life into the band when he came back.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #330 on: October 11, 2019, 02:38:07 AM »
have fun exploring, you won't regret it

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #332 on: October 16, 2019, 08:31:59 PM »
That headline is misleading. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #333 on: October 16, 2019, 08:34:36 PM »
damn it I was really hoping they would make one more record

RIP Toto, greatest band in the world

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #335 on: October 16, 2019, 08:44:53 PM »
Exactly.  May be retirement.   The door is still open. 

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #336 on: October 16, 2019, 09:05:21 PM »
Exactly.  May be retirement.   The door is still open.

For me the sad part is the lawsuit. It may be a real downer to the band and cost them financially. That may just lead for Toto to retire. Pretty sure the royalties are in the possibly millions, and emotionally draining for both parties.  And Luke also said they lost the lawsuit so...there’s that. Also there has been some health issues with some of the band members.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #337 on: October 16, 2019, 09:08:13 PM »
Unfortunately,  family members do this a lot. I hope it all works out. 

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #338 on: October 17, 2019, 02:34:17 AM »
As mentioned in the article they already called it quits before in 2008 and yet they returned to touring and even recorded a new record.

I won't believe that they never do anything under the name Toto again but not, as Steve said, in the foreseeable future. Maybe some one off gigs, or some really small tours like they did after their first hiatus. And I believe Luke will definitely not quit playing, he will be active, be it with a new solo record or as part of some other artist's band or some project.

That said, I too was hoping for at least another record after their current tour.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #339 on: October 17, 2019, 02:43:19 AM »
As mentioned in the article they already called it quits before in 2008 and yet they returned to touring and even recorded a new record.
I was just about to say that, here's Lukes quote from 2008:
When Dave [Paich] retired that was REAL hard for me 'cause we started the band together. Hell, it's 35 years if you count High School where the core all met. When Mike [Porcaro] fell ill and had to leave that was it for me. If there isn't Paich or at least one Porcaro how can we even call it Toto? ... Honestly, I have just had enough. This is NOT a break. It is over. I really can't go out and play Hold The Line with a straight face anymore.

2 years later a World Tour was announced  :lol So yea i'm not sure I trust Luke that much, he's a bit impulsive when it comes to decisions but who knows at this point. I hope they get together at some point, since I didn't see them on their latest trek.  :-\

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #340 on: October 17, 2019, 07:53:52 AM »
I'm glad I have a ticket for Saturday's show, my first and probably last time seeing them.  Maybe they do get back together but I'm definitely treating this like a one off and only experience. 

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #341 on: October 17, 2019, 07:59:35 AM »
I think the health issues for some of the Toto members and the lawsuit with Porcaro's estate is what drove him to say this publicly. Do not know the details of the lawsuit but if the last 2 years of touring, and if a lot of that revenue went to cover the lawsuit cost's and settlement, then they kind of toured for nothing and it could have been financially demoralizing. Luke did say they lost the lawsuit so they have to pay up at some point.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #342 on: October 17, 2019, 08:06:54 AM »
Luke's solo stuff is awesome so I can't wait to hear his next record

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #343 on: October 17, 2019, 08:39:20 AM »
Shame..............I really wanted to see them with Jo Williams but couldn't do it the last time they toured out here.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #344 on: October 17, 2019, 09:58:44 AM »
Luke's solo stuff is awesome so I can't wait to hear his next record

If Toto's on hiatus it's about time for some solo stuff. His last record was really great.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #345 on: October 18, 2019, 08:38:12 AM »
Goodbye Girl is such an awesome song.  The intro sounds like something Leprous was inspired from.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #346 on: October 18, 2019, 08:57:32 AM »
Goodbye Girl is such an awesome song.  The intro sounds like something Leprous was inspired from.
reverse the title and you've got it :D (fixed it for you), and I agree that that song is ahead of its time (it came out in 1978 remember)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #347 on: October 18, 2019, 08:59:43 AM »
I was shocked to see 1978 in the youtube description  :lol and yea got the title backwards, its new to me! But that song sticks out on every listen of my playlist I created

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #348 on: October 18, 2019, 11:11:06 AM »
That's a great song. One of the best from the early years.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #349 on: October 18, 2019, 12:00:19 PM »
Their debut is full of great songs.

Though they are pretty diverse music wise, I always think of Toto as a rock band. That's where they really shine imo, Girl Goodbye being a prime example. And that's probably why I like Kingdom Of Desire so much, that's a full out rock record, firing on all cylinders. Although it's very different from the rest of their work.