Author Topic: Toto  (Read 52319 times)

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Re: Toto
« Reply #245 on: November 15, 2017, 08:31:30 AM »
Yeah, probably the 87th greatest Hits package, I WAS SO WAITING FOR THIS

New songs are nice, a tour is nice, hopefully I get to see them again this time, but I was hoping for a brand new album. But if they are touring through 2018 a new album isn't coming round soon. Not sure if I want to buy this.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #246 on: November 15, 2017, 09:22:08 AM »
Kind of a disappointing news release.

I know Steve talked last year about new Legacy editions on which the studio albums were going to be remixed/remastered. He also talked about new material being released but 3 new songs and a compilation is not necessarily good. I guess something is better than nothing.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #247 on: November 15, 2017, 10:06:44 AM »
My guess would be that maybe they thought a whole new album the same year they're celebrating 40yr anniversary would be unnecessary since a tour like that is more a celebration of the older material and that's what people wanna hear. Then again why release 3 new songs instead of saving them for a proper album 2019 or something insetad?
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #248 on: November 16, 2017, 02:38:15 AM »
I can't imagine that this will be a big seller. The casual fan has probably already bought one of the other collections out there, so no need to get this one.
Some hardcore fans will buy it because of the new songs or out of completists reasons, but I think a lot will give it a pass. I would like to hear the new songs, and probably they will be up on spotify, but I'm not giving away money for a full priced cd for songs that I already have, sometimes on multiple records.

Couldn't they just tour for the 40th anniversary and then release a new album with all new songs?

Or maybe relase the remastered back catalogue with bonus tracks? That would be more interesting than a greatest hits compilation, but still I wouldn't probably buy it.

Or release some live material from the earlier years, surely there must be something in the vaults?

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #249 on: December 07, 2017, 01:05:21 PM »
Apparently Simon Phillips lost his home and studio in the fire in California. Stuff can be replaced but I can only imagine the memorabilia that's lost for good, I also saw his home studio in some interview and it was a passion/life project for him so that's gotta be hard to deal with.  :sadpanda:

https://www.gofundme.com/jwequ-life-rebuilding-fund
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #250 on: December 07, 2017, 01:13:37 PM »
Oh no...  :sad: Poor Simon. At least he's okay. That's a heavy loss though...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #251 on: December 17, 2017, 08:35:21 PM »
I feel like we need an in-depth Toto documentary.  Watching Luke on the Hired Gun doco on Netflix made me realise that that guy alone must have a shit-ton of awesome stories about working on all these amazing records - and writing hits for other people.

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #252 on: December 21, 2017, 01:38:55 AM »
There's a Steve Lukather biography coming out sometime next year, I hope it's a good one because Luke has a million stories to tell about his work in Toto and his studio work.

https://www.stevelukather.com/news-articles/2017/08/lukathers-memoir-out-early-2018.aspx

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #253 on: December 21, 2017, 01:44:58 AM »
Oh wow, that's an insta buy!  :tup

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #254 on: December 21, 2017, 06:29:01 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1EV_5U6GGo

Here's a medley of different Toto songs which I think is beyond amazing.
Martin Miller, the guitarist, used to be my teacher when I studies music. JP even mentioned him once in an interview as one of the younger guitarists he likes.
Felix Lehrmann, the drummer, played on the last few records involving Roine Stolt (Anderson/Stolt, the last two Flower Kings albums).

You guys should give it a listen. They also did a Pink Floyd medley which is equally awesome.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #255 on: December 23, 2017, 03:54:44 AM »
I feel like we need an in-depth Toto documentary.  Watching Luke on the Hired Gun doco on Netflix made me realise that that guy alone must have a shit-ton of awesome stories about working on all these amazing records - and writing hits for other people.
There's a Steve Lukather biography coming out sometime next year, I hope it's a good one because Luke has a million stories to tell about his work in Toto and his studio work.

https://www.stevelukather.com/news-articles/2017/08/lukathers-memoir-out-early-2018.aspx

oh good

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #256 on: December 23, 2017, 04:14:15 AM »

Martin Miller, the guitarist, used to be my teacher when I studies music. JP even mentioned him once in an interview as one of the younger guitarists he likes.
Felix Lehrmann, the drummer, played on the last few records involving Roine Stolt (Anderson/Stolt, the last two Flower Kings albums).

You guys should give it a listen. They also did a Pink Floyd medley which is equally awesome.
That was great, thx for sharing!  :tup

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #257 on: December 23, 2017, 09:24:11 AM »

This is the best Toto performance I've ever seen by people not in Toto. Thanks for sharing. Wow!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #258 on: February 12, 2018, 12:33:03 AM »
So yeah, yesterday I was in Helsinki and experienced the first show of their "40 Trips Around the Sun" tour!

Show was amazing! Everyone was at their best! If you are even slightly a Toto fan, you need to catch them on this tour!

Setlist was just mind-blowing! They played the new songs from "40 trips". There were the usual suspects, of course. But man, there were so many surprises in the setlist! Not going to spoil the whole thing, but they played among other things: The Dune (Desert theme) and "No Love" from Mindfields (Live debut!).

Can't say enough nice things about the show! Go buy your tickets now, if you haven't already.

Let's hope this is not their last big tour..

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #259 on: February 12, 2018, 07:31:24 AM »

Wow, that great!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #260 on: February 12, 2018, 08:41:11 AM »
So yeah, yesterday I was in Helsinki and experienced the first show of their "40 Trips Around the Sun" tour!

Show was amazing! Everyone was at their best! If you are even slightly a Toto fan, you need to catch them on this tour!

Setlist was just mind-blowing! They played the new songs from "40 trips". There were the usual suspects, of course. But man, there were so many surprises in the setlist! Not going to spoil the whole thing, but they played among other things: The Dune (Desert theme) and "No Love" from Mindfields (Live debut!).

Can't say enough nice things about the show! Go buy your tickets now, if you haven't already.

Let's hope this is not their last big tour..
Oh man, that sounds awesome! Was actually planning on seeing them in Denmark on Saturday but i'm moving to a new apartment that weekend so i'm a bit stuck with that. I saw them last summer so it's not the end of the world for me.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #261 on: February 12, 2018, 10:35:05 AM »
Dude! No Love is one of my favorites from the Mindfields album, I've always wondered why they've never played that one. Just seemed to get lost among all their other great songs, but I love that tune. I gotta catch this tour!

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #262 on: February 17, 2018, 01:30:31 AM »
Nice breakdown of Rosanna
https://youtu.be/QLoh8zHjGUI

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #263 on: February 17, 2018, 10:15:30 AM »
I heard one of the new Toto songs on the radio very early this morning, Spanish River (?) I think. Anyway, the drums and some of the elements are an obvious attempt to make another Africa. But there's still enough in the song to distinguish it and make me enjoy it. Also, that keyboard solo would not be out of place on a borderline-prog track.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #264 on: February 17, 2018, 10:23:37 AM »
If I have understood correctly, Spanish Sea was made out of a rough demo from the 80's. Alone on the other hand is a brand new song!

I do like the "new" songs from "40 Trips". Especially after hearing them live..

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #265 on: February 17, 2018, 11:57:50 AM »
Spanish Sea is an old demo that's been reworked. They have used some of the old tracks, so you can hear Jeff and Mike Porcaro on it. Maybe the reminiscence of Africa kept them from releasing it back then.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #266 on: February 17, 2018, 12:47:15 PM »
I knew it was a Spanish body of water. Thanks for correcting.

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #267 on: February 17, 2018, 12:53:01 PM »
Ha ha, didn't even see that  :lol

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #268 on: February 25, 2018, 06:13:24 AM »
500 bucks for that new boxset. Would of loved for a CD only edition of that box.

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #269 on: February 25, 2018, 08:41:24 AM »
As I understand it, that's a special edition. The discs will be available either separately or in a normal box set sometime later for a more reasonable price.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #270 on: February 28, 2018, 01:31:05 PM »
So apparently Vinnie Colauita is drumming on the new songs, had no idea about that. Wonder why they didn't use Shannon?

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #271 on: February 28, 2018, 11:27:23 PM »
That's the first time I hear that too. Vinnie's good but Shannon isn't that bad either. There's probably a reason.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #272 on: March 01, 2018, 01:34:27 AM »
I mean Vinnie is Vinnie, if they wan't someone to nail anything they can throw at him in 5mins Vinnie is the guy, i'm guessing time was a factor either Shannon was booked or they wanted to move along quickly in the studio. Still Shannon is such a perfect drummer for Toto and imo probably the greatest since Jeff and I say that with greatest admiration for Simon. I just found Shannon to be the closest to Jeff which is a breath of fresh air which was very evident when I saw them last summer so I find it a bit sad they didn't use his talent.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 01:40:12 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #273 on: March 01, 2018, 01:52:20 AM »
Yeah it's seems a bit weird, you have a good drummer and you use someone else.

Simon Philips was/is very very good, but he had a more distinctive own style as Forest Shannon has (imo). So the old Toto songs sounded good but different with Simon.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #274 on: October 26, 2018, 08:24:41 PM »
Does anybody know anything about the “All In” boxset in cd edition? I know the vinyl set was released ata hefty price and Toto and the press releases said they were releasing it later in 2018 in cd format. Haven’t seen anything.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #275 on: March 15, 2019, 02:37:58 AM »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #276 on: March 15, 2019, 04:37:32 AM »
Vinnie isn't good.

He's amazing as a drummer.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #277 on: March 15, 2019, 04:47:54 AM »
Vinnie? The upcoming DVD of that tour credits Shannon Forest as drummer.

Nonetheless Vinnie is amazing  ;D

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #278 on: March 15, 2019, 06:29:45 AM »
Who I saw live.

Twice.  I'm just glad they are out there touring.  It almost looked like 4 or 5 years about they were calling it a day.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #279 on: March 15, 2019, 09:54:48 AM »
Yeah, around the time of the Falling Into Infinity Steve Lukather wanted to call it quits, because he and Bobby Kimball were the only "real" members left and Steve got the feeling that it's not Toto anymore. I'm glad that they kinda reunited and keep on touring and putting out new music (even if sparsely).

I've yet to see them with Joe Williams, I've seen them maybe 15 times in the past, even two concerts with Jeff Porcaro before he passed away, but for the last couple of years their schedule didn't sadly match mine or they weren't playing near me.