Author Topic: Toto  (Read 52521 times)

Offline erwinrafael

Re: Toto
« Reply #175 on: February 08, 2017, 11:10:18 PM »
I just watched some vids of Toto on Youtube from the last five years. How the hell does Joseph Williams still sing that good at his age?

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #176 on: February 09, 2017, 04:17:17 AM »
Disagree an Tambu, that one was very lackluster. Falling In Between is a killer record and XIV was really good and has songs/sounds that were very reminiscent of their long carrer and their different styles.

Excited for the new one.  :metal
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #177 on: February 09, 2017, 04:29:41 AM »
Tambu is a really strong album imo. Only two of their albums feel subpar to me: Falling in Between and Turn Back..

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #178 on: February 09, 2017, 06:12:40 AM »
I love, love, love Tambu.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Lepprador

« Reply #179 on: February 09, 2017, 06:43:27 AM »
I was revisiting XIV yesterday and it's a shame how muddy/ bass heavy the sound is. Gems like the opener Running Out Of Time (killer chorus) deserved bettter. It's especially disappointing for a band like Toto. I'm a little audiophile, so I can't bring myself to listen to a sound like that.
I'm having the suspicion, that the production isn't really that bad, but that something went wrong at the mixing and mastering stage.
To clean my ears, I played Mindfields. Better World is epic. I'd kill to hear that song live. Does anybody hear the bell in Caught In The Balance ?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #180 on: February 09, 2017, 06:54:54 AM »
I was revisiting XIV yesterday and it's a shame how muddy/ bass heavy the sound is. Gems like the opener Running Out Of Time (killer chorus) deserved bettter. It's especially disappointing for a band like Toto. I'm a little audiophile, so I can't bring myself to listen to a sound like that.
I'm having the suspicion, that the production isn't really that bad, but that something went wrong at the mixing and mastering stage.
To clean my ears, I played Mindfields. Better World is epic. I'd kill to hear that song live. Does anybody hear the bell in Caught In The Balance ?

Yeah, they smooshed the bass on XIV. If it weren't for that, it would be a good sounding album. It's a nice mix, they just fucked the mastering, as is all too common.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #181 on: February 09, 2017, 06:41:57 PM »
This band is still around? My parents played the shit out of "Africa" when I was a kid. I would have been willing to give them a chance if it was just one parent, but it was both, which meant for 12 year old Cool Chris, they had to be totally square.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #182 on: February 09, 2017, 06:49:34 PM »
Re some of the above:

- I never got into the Luke fronted albums much -  Tambu , KoD never did much for me. 
-  my "go to" albums are s/t , IV , Isolation, The Seventh One and Mindfields.
- Caught In The Balance is one of my all time favourite Toto songs and , while it could do with a haircut , I think Midfields is sorely under rated.
-  XIV did little for me and , on my copy at least, the sound was crackling at times.....shocking how they let that through unless I just have a dud copy.

I'm always keen on a new album and will look forward to it.  Joseph seems to be kicking butt live so hopefully they'll visit us out here with him out front.   I have seen them once - must've been Falling In Between tour???  Had Leland Sklar on bass and Greg Phillinganes on keys.   I remember the venue security were getting pretty heavy handed telling people to stay in their seats and not run up to the stage front.   Luke told them to fuck off and let the crowd be :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #183 on: February 09, 2017, 09:26:31 PM »
This band is still around? My parents played the shit out of "Africa" when I was a kid. I would have been willing to give them a chance if it was just one parent, but it was both, which meant for 12 year old Cool Chris, they had to be totally square.

You're missing out on this stuff. :p

Dave's Gone Skiing

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #184 on: February 09, 2017, 11:28:57 PM »
I just watched some vids of Toto on Youtube from the last five years. How the hell does Joseph Williams still sing that good at his age?
Yea his voice is holding up well, i've seen them two times live with Joseph since he came back and both times i've been equally surprised how good he sounds, sure he struggles with some of those really high notes but it's miles better than Bobby imo.

Too answer your question: Have no idea  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: February 10, 2017, 01:19:04 AM »
To be fair to Bobby vs Joe at this point...............Joe is mid 50's and Bobby is almost 70 .    Bobby can still do it in the studio but live he seems to struggle , not only with his voice but with his hearing/monitors.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #186 on: February 10, 2017, 02:11:04 AM »
That's true, actually I didn't know he was that much older.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #187 on: February 10, 2017, 02:13:34 AM »
Brent, surprised that you don't like Kingdom Of Desire that much, it's probably my favorite because it just rocks and I thought you were more of a rock guy  :biggrin:

Mindfields is great also, could have done with one or two tunes less but still great nonetheless.

Thinking about it, there are no really weak Toto records for me, I just love this band so much  :metal :metal :metal

Thought that XIV was a good return but agree that the sound/production isn't that great. Really surprising, because all of their records had stellar production and mastering.

Bobby struggles live for a long time, and he always was more of a "belter" than a singer and his age is just taking his toll. Williams had some rough times vocally, that's why he was sacked after The Seventh One, but he seems to have recovered and now really takes care of his voice.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: February 10, 2017, 02:27:17 AM »
Brent, surprised that you don't like Kingdom Of Desire that much, it's probably my favorite because it just rocks and I thought you were more of a rock guy  :biggrin:

Ditto for me. Even though Lukather isn't the best vocalist, I like his voice, and KOD is more straight up rock for them.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: February 10, 2017, 02:35:51 AM »
I just got KoD out just now -  skipped the first track half way through.    As a rule yes .......I would rather something rocks but I'm also big on melodies and a lot of the stuff on KoD is guitar heavy but more in a blues rock band way and I find a lot of it monotonous , even if it does "groove".   Songs that rock and have big melodies are my thing -  Caught In The Balance, Isolation/Carmen, Home Of The Brave , Hold The Line.   I also love their softer stuff too like Africa, Rosanna , MAd About You , I'll Be Over You etc....

Speaking of production Mindfields is also a ripper in that department.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: February 10, 2017, 02:42:14 AM »
I just got KoD out just now -  skipped the first track half way through.    As a rule yes .......I would rather something rocks but I'm also big on melodies and a lot of the stuff on KoD is guitar heavy but more in a blues rock band way and I find a lot of it monotonous , even if it does "groove".   Songs that rock and have big melodies are my thing -  Caught In The Balance, Isolation/Carmen, Home Of The Brave , Hold The Line.   I also love their softer stuff too like Africa, Rosanna , MAd About You , I'll Be Over You etc....

Speaking of production Mindfields is also a ripper in that department.

KOD is certainly different, and it's not up to earlier albums in terms of the big vocals when all you've got is Lukather, but it still has its share of melody too. Even though it's a softer track, Wings Of Time is a favourite of mine.
If you specifically want that big Toto sound though, it will probably leave you wanting.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #191 on: February 10, 2017, 02:58:39 AM »
I love almost everything Toto, I'm just a complete fanboy so everything I say is completely subjective.  :biggrin:

I really like the softer stuff and the ballads, some are cheesy but in a good way. But I always thought of Toto as a rock band and for years I was thinking "what if they put out a record that's almost completely rock"? And then they did and it was totally different from what I imagined, it's not really the Toto of IV or Seventh One or Isolation, but although Lukather had a lot of influence on that it's also very different from his solo records. It's another facette of their musical diversification.

I love Gypsy Train, heavier than everything they've done. Kingdom Of Desire is just a great rock anthem, Wings Of Time is a subtle, deeply moving piece with intricate guitar work, Jake To The Bone is a fun fusion track (always introduced live as a track you can dance to  :D), Never Enough is a classic with a proggy ending etc. I could do without Kickdown The Walls and the two power ballads (2 Hearts, Only You) are not among their strongest, but the fact that it's Jeff Porcaro's final record probably contributes to my feeling for KoD as well. Add to that the fact that I saw them live on a one off gig with Jeff (probably one of his last) before the album came out, where they already played a couple of tunes from KoD. It's just one of that desert island discs for me, and probably one of my most played records over time.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: February 10, 2017, 06:47:26 AM »
Well, after reading all this I threw on Mindfields this morning.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #193 on: February 10, 2017, 07:10:29 AM »
There are a lot of worse ways to start a new day   :tup

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #194 on: February 18, 2017, 02:48:47 PM »
The sleeper Toto album for me is Farenheit. So good.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #195 on: February 18, 2017, 03:44:35 PM »
Great album but loses me a little towards the end. I'm not that keen on Lea and Don't Stop Me Now, decent tunes but not more. Same goes for Fahrenheit (the track).

Till The End, Without Your Love, I'll Be Over You, Can't Stand It Any Longer are killer tunes.

But there really is no bad Toto record imo.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: February 18, 2017, 03:46:18 PM »
Can't stand it any longer is a killer tune.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #197 on: May 30, 2017, 02:46:46 PM »
Anyone catching them this summer? Seeing them in august, can't wait! Also the first time seeing them outdoors.  :tup

Anyone knows who the bass and sax player are?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: May 30, 2017, 03:57:10 PM »
I'm seeing them in June in a new small venue 30 minutes from my house.

As for the lineup,

Lukather and fellow core Toto members David Paich, Steve Porcaro and Joseph Williams will be joined by Lenny Castro, Shannon Forest, Shem von Schroeck and Warren Ham on this tour. Lukather and Ham are also both veterans of Ringo Starr‘s All-Starr Band

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/toto-2017-summer-tour/

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #199 on: May 30, 2017, 05:43:48 PM »
I'm seeing them in June in a new small venue 30 minutes from my house.

As for the lineup,

Lukather and fellow core Toto members David Paich, Steve Porcaro and Joseph Williams will be joined by Lenny Castro, Shannon Forest, Shem von Schroeck and Warren Ham on this tour. Lukather and Ham are also both veterans of Ringo Starr‘s All-Starr Band

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/toto-2017-summer-tour/
:tup

Never heard of those two, checked out Shem von Schroeck and he has quite the resume. Besides playing bass, sing and being a multi-instrumentalist with everyone as it seems he also apparently has a career as a opera singer. That's pretty impressive.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #200 on: May 30, 2017, 11:00:03 PM »
I would like to see them, last Toto concert I saw is some years ago, but probably not going to make it.

Is Shem von Schroeck a real name?  :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #201 on: June 14, 2017, 06:13:19 PM »
TOTO CELEBRATE “40 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN”
ANNOUNCE FIRST RUN OF DATES &
NEW SONY ALBUM IN SUPPORT OF
40TH ANNIVERSARY IN 2018

New Album To Be Released On Sony Music’s Legacy Recordings Worldwide In February Of 2018 Will Contain Classic Remastered Hits Alongside Brand New Tracks
Los Angeles, CA --- TOTO is pleased to announce the first set of shows in support of the band’s 40th Anniversary beginning in 2018. The 40 Trips Around The Sun Tour will begin in February 2018 in Europe. The tour will be the band’s most extensive run in years and will be a worldwide tour to celebrate the band’s enduring career. More shows will be announced shortly. Tickets for most shows go on sale this Friday.
Along side the launch of the tour, TOTO along with Legacy Recordings have created a brand new Greatest Hits package. also titled: 40 Trips Around The Sun. The album will feature brand new previously unreleased music along side newly remastered classic tracks worked on by Elliot Scheiner & Gavin Lurssen and his team. The core Toto members, Steve Lukather, David Paich, Steve Porcaro, Joseph Williams re-entered the studio this past year to work on the material. Full details on that album along side many other projects the band has in the works with Legacy Recordings will be announced at a later date.
“Myself, David, Steve and Joseph are humbled and thrilled at the long lasting success of the band,” Steve Lukather remarked. “This 40th Anniversary tour is going to be a special one for us and all of the fans that come out. On top of all that, it’s really exciting to be working with Sony Music again. We’ve spent a lot of time this year working on new music and re-mastering the older tracks.”
Few ensembles in the history of recorded music have individually or collectively had a larger imprint on pop culture than the members of TOTO. As individuals, the band members can be heard on an astonishing 5000 albums that together amass a sales history of a half a billion albums. Amongst these recordings, NARAS applauded the performances with more than 200 Grammy nominations.
With close to 40 years together and literally thousands of credits, including the biggest selling album of all time: Michael Jackson’s Thriller, and accolades to their names, TOTO remains one of the top selling touring and recording acts in the world. They are the benchmark by which many artists base their sound and production, and they continue to transcend the standards set by the entire music community, being simply synonymous with musical credibility. Their repertoire continues to be current via high profile usage on broadcast television. They are pop culture, and are one of the few 70’s bands that have endured the changing trends and styles to a career enjoy a multi-generational worldwide fan base.

TOTO – 2018 - 40 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN TOUR
2/19 Hamburg, DE - Mehr! Theater
2/21 Dusseldorf, DE - Mitsubishi-Electric Hall
2/22 Munich, DE - Olympiahalle
2/24 Berlin, DE - C-Halle
2/25 Leipzig, DE - Haus Auensee
2/28 Krakow, PL Tauron Arena
3/2 Vienna, AT - Gasometer
3/10 Milan, IT - Mediolanum Forum
3/13 Stuttgart, DE - Porsche Arena
3/15 Lille, FR - Zenith
3/17 Amsterdam, NL - Ziggo Dome
3/18 Brussels, BE - Forest National
3/20 Offenbach, DE - Stadthalle
3/23 Bologna, IT - Unipol Arena
3/25 Marseille, FR - Dome
3/26 Toulouse, FR - Zenith
3/27 Lyon, FR -Halle Tony Garnier
3/30 Paris, FR - La Seine Musicale
4/1 London, UK - Royal Albert Hall
4/2 Manchester, UK - Bridgewater Hall
4/4 Dublin, IE - Vicar Street
4/7 Belfast, UK - Waterfront Auditorium
4/8 Glasgow, UK - SEC Armadillo

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #202 on: June 15, 2017, 02:45:10 AM »
Oh, great, nothing better than another greatest hits package.

I hope there are enough new tracks to make it interesting but a new studio album would be so much better.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #203 on: June 15, 2017, 05:04:03 PM »
Yeah we really need yet another Toto best of/greatest hits?
I guess it makes sense with being back on Sony (CBS) and the remasters coming out next year.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #204 on: June 25, 2017, 08:43:37 AM »
Tot tonight folks!!!!  6th row in a new small theater 30 minutes from my house! :metal

https://tickets.tupelohall.com/

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #205 on: June 25, 2017, 08:53:36 AM »
Tot tonight folks!!!!  6th row in a new small theater 30 minutes from my house! :metal

https://tickets.tupelohall.com/
Awesome, have fun! Can't wait for august!  :tup

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #206 on: June 25, 2017, 08:56:20 AM »
I haven't even checked out the Set list!  Can't wait to be surprised!

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #207 on: June 25, 2017, 07:03:17 PM »
The set list contains no real surprises, apart from a Hendrix cover in the middle of the show.
Seriously WTF are they doing playing that instead of one of their own songs?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #208 on: June 25, 2017, 08:09:02 PM »
It's something they did on 1991 and the video of that so is going to be released.  My wife got a pic of the setlist on the stage before the show. Can't post it here.  I don't want to spoil it for others.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #209 on: June 27, 2017, 06:20:38 AM »
Luke has played Hendrix covers on his solo tours too, so it's probably his decision. But I'm not sure if it is needed as they have enough great songs of their own.