Author Topic: Stunning conversations you have with people  (Read 8457 times)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Re: Stunning conversations you have with people
« Reply #105 on: June 25, 2012, 01:00:32 AM »
:clap:
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #106 on: June 25, 2012, 01:13:56 AM »
Holy shit.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline jsem

« Reply #107 on: June 25, 2012, 03:12:40 AM »
You should've showed him a map dude.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: June 25, 2012, 04:09:43 AM »
Watched one of my staff talking to a potential new customer today;

Client: "Just new to the area and having a look at coming to your facility"
Staff: "That's no problem....*continues to give customer info on the centre*
Client: "So do you have some sort of membership or multi visit entry"
Staff: "Yes, we have a 25 visit pass which is great value and the cost is ....."
Client: "So how many visits do I get with that?"
Staff: "Err.....25"
Client: "Oh wow, that is pretty good value"

:facepalm:
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jsem

« Reply #109 on: June 25, 2012, 06:42:30 AM »
It never hurts to repeat oneself eh.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #110 on: June 25, 2012, 08:04:04 AM »
To be fair, I think it is a bit confusing that the full name of this country is The United States of America, often just America for short, because of the whole thing with North America, South America, Central America, and Latin America.  Basically all the countries in the west are part of <something> America, and the word "America" in that context has nothing to do with the name of our country (aside from being the same word and having the same origin).

I was fortunate to have a decent grade-school education wherein they carefully laid all of this out, with maps and stuff.  And looking back, maybe it was pretty amazing that this was like Third Grade.  Also, I'm one of those weirdos that likes learning stuff, and I thought it was pretty cool.  I was never really surprised that some people get confused by it.  I remember in junior high, I had to explain to someone that Texas and Florida are not in South America, but are in the Southern part of America.  When you think about it, it is confusing.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #111 on: June 25, 2012, 08:18:46 AM »
Just think of America as the entire landmass. It's divided in North and South America and one of the countries in North America is called The United States of America. Not that difficult really.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: June 25, 2012, 10:09:30 AM »
I can see how it'd be confusing similar to the England/Great Britain/United Kingdom thing, but come on. If you live here you should understand how it works.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #113 on: June 25, 2012, 11:47:30 AM »
Just think of America as the entire landmass.

But that's the problem.  America is a specific country within that landmass, not the whole thing.

It's divided in North and South America and one of the countries in North America is called The United States of America. Not that difficult really.

The Commonwealth of Virginia is called Virginia for short.  The United States of America is called America for short.  It's the exact same thing.  The word "of" doesn't mean "The United States, which is part of America".  It means that America is a country formed of united states, just as Virginia is a commonwealth.

Look, I know what you guys are saying, and I've never been confused by it.  I'm just saying that I can understand how others could find it confusing.  I'm from Michigan, and my dad lives over on the Lake Michigan shore.  We call that part of the state West Michigan.  People in Virginia can't do the same thing, because West Virginia doesn't mean the western part of the state; it's actually a different state.  If I were from South North Dakota or North South Dakota, I'd probably kill myself.

The problem is that Geography has no rules to apply.  Everything is rote.  You either know it or you don't, and if you don't, you can't just figure it out based on a set of general rules, as with Mathematics or Science.  You have to ask someone, and that person will think you're an idiot for not knowing.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #114 on: June 25, 2012, 12:01:06 PM »
I had to explain to someone that Texas and Florida are not in South America

Doesn't mean we wouldn't prefer that they were.

HEY-OH!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #115 on: June 25, 2012, 12:02:14 PM »
:tup

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #116 on: June 25, 2012, 12:06:27 PM »
I can see how it'd be confusing similar to the England/Great Britain/United Kingdom thing, but come on. If you live here you should understand how it works.

The UK thing is way more confusing. You got the UK, Great Britain, England, Scotland and Ireland. Plus Northern Ireland.
The America thing is rather simple. America is a continent, but the word gets also used as a shorthand for the US. That's all there is to it.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #117 on: June 25, 2012, 01:29:15 PM »

Offline jsem

« Reply #118 on: June 25, 2012, 01:35:13 PM »
Quote from: Oxford Dictionary
America

Pronunciation: /əˈmerɪkə/
(also the Americas)
a land mass of the western hemisphere consisting of the continents of North and South America joined by the Isthmus of Panama.
used as a name for the United States.

America was originally inhabited by American Indians and Inuit peoples. The NE coastline of North America was visited by Norse seamen in the early 11th century, but for the modern world America was first reached by Christopher Columbus, who arrived in the Caribbean in 1492 and the South American mainland in 1498

Origin:
the name America dates from the early 16th century and is believed to derive from the Latin form (Americus) of the name of Amerigo Vespucci, who sailed along the west coast of South America in 1501

Quote from: Wiktionary
Proper noun
America (plural Americas)
1. The landmass now divided into the continents of North and South America.  [quotations ▼]
2. The United States of America.

Conclusion: It could be both. Originally, it meant the entire continent - but during later years it has been used as a term for the United States of America.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: June 25, 2012, 01:38:55 PM »
I was having a conversation with some friends the other day. Back in highschool I felt kind of dumb because all my friends did better than me on the ACT. I got a 31. We were laughing at how ridiculous that was.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #121 on: June 25, 2012, 01:48:43 PM »
a land mass of the western hemisphere consisting of the continents of North and South America

It's not a continent.

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #122 on: June 25, 2012, 02:38:47 PM »
Look, I know what you guys are saying, and I've never been confused by it.  I'm just saying that I can understand how others could find it confusing.  I'm from Michigan, and my dad lives over on the Lake Michigan shore.  We call that part of the state West Michigan.  People in Virginia can't do the same thing, because West Virginia doesn't mean the western part of the state; it's actually a different state.  If I were from South North Dakota or North South Dakota, I'd probably kill myself.
The solution is for you guys to use the language properly. The western portion of Washington is called "western Washington" and not "West Washington."

On the other hand, Michigan is different in that the western part is separate from the rest of the state.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #123 on: June 25, 2012, 03:33:27 PM »
Actually, it's the northern part of the state, but... yeah.

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #124 on: June 25, 2012, 05:38:02 PM »
I meant in the sense that the northern part of Michigan is a bit more separate in the sense that the other states in the 48 are more or less contiguous.

But still, the northern part of Minnesota isn't called "North Minnesota" and I didn't do my undergrad at "West Washington University." :)

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #125 on: June 25, 2012, 06:10:53 PM »
And in filling out paperwork for my new practice that I'll be working at I was reminded of the following (which was only stunning to me in that it showed how little a lot people knew about my field).

Coworker: You moved here for school? What are you studying?
Me: I came here for an acupuncture school.
Her: So you're gonna be a Physical Therapist?
Me: No. I'll be an acupuncturist.
Her: They have those?!

To be fair, this girl was actually pretty smart.

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #126 on: June 25, 2012, 06:48:58 PM »
A friend of my sister:

"Do you cross an ocean to get to California [from New York]?"

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #127 on: June 25, 2012, 08:02:57 PM »
A friend of my sister:

"Do you cross an ocean to get to California [from New York]?"

If you want to pay a lot, you could.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #128 on: June 25, 2012, 08:04:10 PM »
America is a continent

No.

That...is amazing.

I don't mean to complicate things any more than they already have been, but apparently schools in South American countries don't divide the continent(s) between North and South America; it's just one America. So yes, if you live in Brazil, America is a continent.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #129 on: June 25, 2012, 09:22:19 PM »
What exactly its the point of discussion here? Whether America is one or two continents? Or whether anything but the USA rightfully has the title America?

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #130 on: June 25, 2012, 10:03:50 PM »
I meant in the sense that the northern part of Michigan is a bit more separate in the sense that the other states in the 48 are more or less contiguous.

But still, the northern part of Minnesota isn't called "North Minnesota" and I didn't do my undergrad at "West Washington University." :)

To complicate things further, I also live in Michigan, and Northern Michigan typically refers to the northern part of the lower peninsula, "the mitten".  The upper peninsula or "U.P." is kind of its own thing almost, but it's a wonderful place.

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
  • Beware the Jabberwock, my son...
« Reply #131 on: June 25, 2012, 10:38:34 PM »
What exactly its the point of discussion here? Whether America is one or two continents? Or whether anything but the USA rightfully has the title America?

rumborak

The point here is that they apparently don't teach geography in schools anymore.
I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: June 26, 2012, 07:33:37 AM »
In somewhere between 3rd and 5th grade, you have to memorize all the states, their locations, and their capitals. But yeah, other than that, I've never formally learned any geography aside from the passing mention in history.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #133 on: June 26, 2012, 07:54:04 AM »
Really? We have geography as a course that you must take until 10th grade, and can take until graduation. I never knew that some countries didn't teach it at all.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: June 26, 2012, 08:17:00 AM »
Well I've also gone to private schools my whole life. I don't know if it's something that's common in the public schools.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #135 on: June 26, 2012, 10:03:33 AM »
For what it's worth, I graduated high school a year ago, and aside from learning the states and capitals in elementary school, I never learned any geography in class. Kinda wish that I had.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #136 on: June 26, 2012, 10:10:08 AM »

rumborak

No, I think the point of the discussion is that, with a few exceptions like your original post that actually are good examples, people get to post conversations with others that make them feel superior because the person they were talking with didn't happen to know something they know.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: June 26, 2012, 10:41:12 AM »

rumborak

I'm with you Rumby.

America is a continent

No.

That...is amazing.

I don't mean to complicate things any more than they already have been, but apparently schools in South American countries don't divide the continent(s) between North and South America; it's just one America. So yes, if you live in Brazil, America is a continent.

True. I'm from South America and here we are taught that America is a single continent that has subdivisions, in the high school yards, in the shopping malls... sorry, I digressed. So, subdivisions the same way you can subdivide Europe into Eastern and Western Europe, or the way the middle east gets called that way even though it's a part of Asia.
If I'm not mistaken America is considered to be a whole continent is because there is a tectonic plaque that starts in SA, and runs all through CA and ends up in NA.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #138 on: June 26, 2012, 10:45:05 AM »
I was taught North and South America are two distinct continents on the same landmass, like Europe, Asia and Africa are all different continents on the same landmass as well.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: June 26, 2012, 10:49:17 AM »
Same. I learned 7 continents.

However, this was at the top of the wikipedia page for continent. This shows how ambiguouis it's become I guess with a group of 7, two of 6, and a group of 5.