Author Topic: Banking industry is at it again  (Read 3084 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Banking industry is at it again
« on: May 11, 2012, 09:14:59 AM »
So, we're barely getting out of the recession, and JP Morgan Chase manages to fumble $2,000,000,000 by hedging on risky assets:

https://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20120511-710858.html

Thoughts?

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Banking industry is at it again
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 09:23:35 AM »
Well, the more risk you take, the greater the potential return, but part of taking on risk is that you can also lose a lot of money.  Its part of the industry and shit happens.  Its when so much risk is taken on irresponsibly across most of the industry that it becomes a huge problem.  So yeah I don't see this as a herald of another recession, but its a pretty bad move on their part. 

You need to subscribe to WSJ to see the article, but what kind of assets did they hedge on? 

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 11:09:42 AM »
As long as they don't recieve a taxpayer funded bailout for being idiots....I have no problem if they loose Billions of dollars. I don't know the details of thier investment or where it went wrong but like skydivingninja said, it's a high risk high reward type deal. That headline could just as easily read 'JP Morgan Chase profits 6,000,000,000 from risky investment.'
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Rathma

• oh no she didnt
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 11:29:16 AM »
As long as they don't recieve a taxpayer funded bailout for being idiots....
JP Morgan has already been declared too big to fail brah!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 11:53:29 AM »
As long as they don't recieve a taxpayer funded bailout for being idiots....I have no problem if they loose Billions of dollars. I don't know the details of thier investment or where it went wrong but like skydivingninja said, it's a high risk high reward type deal. That headline could just as easily read 'JP Morgan Chase profits 6,000,000,000 from risky investment.'

What is the difference between your tax money and your investment money? Quite a few people's investment will have gone "poof" because of this I assume.

rumborak

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 11:56:24 AM »

What is the difference between your tax money and your investment money? Quite a few people's investment will have gone "poof" because of this I assume.

rumborak

People choose which company to invest in, you have no choice in whether or not to pay your taxes.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 12:02:56 PM »
I see that difference indeed, but I find losing vast amounts of your money through risky behavior of your bank not too far from "someone else fucking with your hard-earned money" either.

rumborak

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 12:16:07 PM »
Epic fail.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 12:56:19 PM »
I am no investment guy and i am not a banker. I will say this though,

I spent the last two years working at Jp Morgan.  I worked in the Global Technology Infrastructure department so i was in no way involved with the business. I like using their credit card and retail banking, but they are a terribly run organization. I think their decisions to cut so many talented people will bite them in the ass one day. I wouldn't trust them with any serious amount of money.

Offline Riceball

• It's the economy, stupid.
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2012, 10:36:44 PM »
It's probably not a great time for any bank in the US to be making any kind of large, too-risk-driven loss; it just opens it up to the political process given the election is in a few months. From what I have read, the traders basically took a stupid, "this-will-either-make-us-really-rich-or-fuck-shit-up" position on US corporate debt turning bad (ala many banks in the housing crash) and it didn't come off.

I would also add that a $2 billion loss by one trading unit within one bank is chicken feed really compared to a) the kind of positions these units within banks will take and b) the profits banks generally make from these kinds of positions. Is it bad? Hell yes, given they are both not just an investment bank but also a retail bank and that they have an implicit guarantee against bankruptcy due to their size. But is it world-ending? Nah.
I punch those numbers into my calculator and they make a happy face.

A $500 Musical Odyssey: Now accepting nominations

Offline Rathma

• oh no she didnt
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 09:52:08 PM »
From what I have read, the traders basically took a stupid, "this-will-either-make-us-really-rich-or-fuck-shit-up" position on US corporate debt turning bad (ala many banks in the housing crash) and it didn't come off.

That's funny, I heard it was because they were betting on the economy recovering. Oh well, both versions are probably fabrications/distractions.

Offline Riceball

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2012, 11:59:20 PM »
Yeah that was the bet, with corporate bond derivatives as the instrument.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2012, 02:28:36 AM »
I see that difference indeed, but I find losing vast amounts of your money through risky behavior of your bank not too far from "someone else fucking with your hard-earned money" either.

rumborak

If it was a high street bank, I'd agree with you absolutely. When it's an investment bank... eh, I'm not so bothered. They exist to make very rich people more rich.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2012, 11:00:07 AM »
Those two things aren't separate in America. They were, then we repealed Glass-Steagal.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2012, 12:24:48 PM »
You mean banks are still able to invest money from high street banking (i.e. normal people just needing somewhere for their savings and salaries to be stored) in whatever they want with their investment branches?

If that's true then that's insane.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2012, 12:49:43 PM »
No, it wasnt customer deposit money...they cant invest deposits into anything they want  It was their own capital.  But if you are a "too big to fail" bank, and can rely on government bailouts, you need to reign in the exotic investment strategies.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2012, 04:09:00 PM »
You mean banks are still able to invest money from high street banking (i.e. normal people just needing somewhere for their savings and salaries to be stored) in whatever they want with their investment branches?

If that's true then that's insane.

That's how it's been explained to me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass%E2%80%93Steagall_Act

The reason those "too big to fail" banks can rely upon government bail outs, is I believe, due to the repeal of Glass-Steagall. But I could be wrong on that.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2012, 04:00:53 AM »
The wiki article doesn't make it entirely clear unfortunately. I sort of get the impression that the two arms need to be separte (i.e. you can't take normal retail bank deposits and invest them in high-risk equities) but that the problem with the repeal is that commercial banks can own investment banks, which is why they can rely on the bail out. As in, they can't use that money in high-risk investments, but if their investment arm fails and the bank will go under, the Government will need to bail it out because of the high-street banking arm affecting normal customers. I might be wrong though.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2012, 04:17:13 AM »
I think that's the impression I get. I should state, though, that I don't know of any normal banking that JPMorgan does... but then again, I live in bumfucknowhere, and with modern corporations, it get's really confusing.

Offline Riceball

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2012, 04:25:43 AM »
I think Rich has it. They are a 'conglomerate', in so far as they have a retail bank and an investment bank in the same broad ownership structure. So while they don't directly take deposits and use them as play money, they implicitly do through the JP Morgan balance sheet. Their presence in retail banking means they are a systemically important institution (aka too big to fail) and so they have the government backing that other investment banks dont. This means they are probably rated higher than they really should be (Australia's four major banks are the same and S&P says its worth two notches), and this means that the risk/return matrix is out of whack; hence rhe'outrage' over the loss.

Hopefully thats clearish?

Offline Rathma

• oh no she didnt
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2012, 05:59:27 PM »
I think that's the impression I get. I should state, though, that I don't know of any normal banking that JPMorgan does... but then again, I live in bumfucknowhere, and with modern corporations, it get's really confusing.

Do you know the bank Chase? In Manhattan there's pretty much a Chase ATM at every corner. They're owned by JPMorgan.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2012, 06:52:08 PM »

Do you know the bank Chase? In Manhattan there's pretty much a Chase ATM at every corner. They're owned by JPMorgan.

Didn't know they were owned by JPMorgan. I've heard of Chase, but don't remember seeing any Chase banks in Montana.

Offline Odysseus

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2012, 01:38:34 PM »
Meanwhile Europe continues to circle the drain.... I'm getting all dizzy.... wheeee!...   :mehlin

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2012, 01:44:51 PM »
Well, the good news is that they're going to to start trying to stimulate the economy, instead of pure austerity measures. If Europe had done this 3 years ago, things wouldn't be as bad right now.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2012, 05:45:47 PM »

Didn't know they were owned by JPMorgan. I've heard of Chase, but don't remember seeing any Chase banks in Montana.

Chase is big in the north east. Before the purchase of wamu. They didn't have much if any presence on the west coast.

Offline Riceball

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2012, 06:12:47 PM »
Well, the good news is that they're going to to start trying to stimulate the economy, instead of pure austerity measures. If Europe had done this 3 years ago, things wouldn't be as bad right now.
I've got a post in the other economic-y thread about Europe for those who are interested.

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=32327.0