Author Topic: Jingle Boy's Roulette v. drum rolll... pass the envelope please.  (Read 94071 times)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
so you're saying 'tomorrow' again mister...  ok.....  then RJ and I will have to keep having the side-fight behind the scenes  :laugh:

*pokes in eye*

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
so you're saying 'tomorrow' again mister...  ok.....  then RJ and I will have to keep having the side-fight behind the scenes  :laugh:

I said "tomorrow" yesterday, meaning my tomorrow, which is your today.  So just cuz my today, eventually becomes your tomorrow should not be cause for confusion today.

And "I don't give a darn" is our shortshop.   :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni

I said "tomorrow" yesterday, meaning my tomorrow, which is your today.  So just cuz my today, eventually becomes your tomorrow should not be cause for confusion today.

well put...  ???

:laugh:

if that's a reference to ... idk..., I don't get it...

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef

if that's a reference to ... idk..., I don't get it...

Comedic baseball reference from this American classic....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aehzwwD2II

Shortstop is a player position in baseball.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
I'm pretty sure that is the first time I have ever heard of someone who didn't know about "Who's on First".

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni

*head asplode*
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Awww man!!! Now I got Zy bits all over me!!! Someone got a towel?

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
I didn't say which head did asplode :eyebrows:

:|
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Yeah, let's save that for the moviemaking, I'd hate to think of all of us covered in little future Zydars. :|

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
Like this shirt?

T-Shirt Hell

Site is questionable for work.  If in doubt, wait til you get home.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Didn't even have to click it, love that fucking shirt. :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

*head asplode*

This guy?

:mrlol:

I used to have the original 'who's on first' radio show on cassette as a kid.  Must've listened to it dozens of times.  Found it digitized on the net a few years ago - complete with Camel cigarette ads.

Good times.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Or this guy...
:splodearms:

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'm pretty sure that is the first time I have ever heard of someone who didn't know about "Who's on First".

lol

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Ok, Nem's asleep now, go ahead and post the results.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Peter North FTW!!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
That's who that is!!! That was bugging the hell out of me.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
That's who that is!!! That was bugging the hell out of me.

I didn't recognize him without his telephone pole slicing up landing strips.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
 :rollin

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Damn, I didn't recognize him either.  Dude is Canadian, and is quite the sniper.

I got one more listen to do to make sure I know what's what.  Results by end of the night.  Family time now.  Back in a few.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
First, I’ll say that all four songs were good, but not your best efforts by any means.  I guess given the quality of what I’ve gotten from the four of you already, it’s unrealistic to expect every song be better than the last.  I totally see how each of these gets the adrenaline flowing, but something just wasn’t quite in sync with what I was intending with the theme.  Clearly that’s my fault in how I explained it though.

Match 1
Doc – Wuthering Heights/I Shall Not Yield
Holy crap, this one had prog, metal (power and speed), symphonic, and melodic elements all wrapped into one 6 minute and 42 second package.  Impressive.  At times it was fantastic, but there were a few moments that felt a little wonky.  Really liked the little symphonic opening, transitioning into some nice speed metal, and the vocals were nice – very gritty and powerful.  A lot of this reminded me of Blind Guardian.  Pretty cool guitar solo – the dude shreds pretty hard.  Really liked the second/dual solo. 

King of Wolves – Dream Evil/In Flames You Burn
Ironic that this too was a melodic/speed metal track.  Again with a slow start transitioning into some very strong power-metal.  This had a great chorus.  Great vocals, and the power chords were just right to provide that adrenaline rush.  Was a little generic as you were worried about – not very different from the feel I get from bands like Rhapsody (with or without Fire) and Freedom Call.

Result:  I Shall Not Yield felt it was trying to pack too much into it, and the time signature changes weren’t quite seamless.  This could’ve been a solid power metal tune if it had just stayed the course, which the Dream Evil song did.  Pound for pound, In Flames You Burn struck a stronger chord - literally and figuratively.

Match 2
Obscure – Darkology/Violent Vertigo
I was wondering if Darkology was gonna come out, being another project with Kelly Sundown as the lead vocalist (he sung on two of the tracks the good lady has used).  This one falls in the middle of the other two, and it took me quite a few listens to warm up to it.  I don’t think anything else can surpass my love for Obsessions, but this was definitely better than Section X.  Really loved the chorus’s on this one especially, and Sundown’s voice is really hitting the mark with me.  The rhythm section was suh-weeeeet!  If not for the section where it slowed down at about the three minute mark, this would’ve hit the theme the best of the bunch.  The drums in the instrumental section felt out of place for some reason.

Lonestar– Suicidal Tendencies/You Can’t Bring Me Down
Nice slow start, and loved the opening chord.  At first it felt more like the kind of glam metal songs I loved from the 80s... then the main riff kicked in, and it was quite clear it was nothing like Glam.  Great guitar action overall from a frantic punk/metal song.  I liked the backing guitars/mini-solo’s most of all.  Definitely something I see pumping anyone up – total mosh-pit vibe going on here.  I admire you for leading with your heart, and not your head – not something I would’ve normally looked to, but it was a good tune... until the vocal rant at the end.

Result:  Songs were somewhat the same stylistically ... great guitar work (melodies and solo’s), great hard main riff.  Heavy and frantic, with a brief slow-down in the middle.  So, had to go a layer deeper to figure out which I liked better.  I also feel I must also point out a key hint in the OP that was missed:

The point of the theme's is to mix things up.  Don't sacrifice song quality for the theme.  If I think the song sucks, then it doesn't matter if it fits the theme perfectly.  I still want music I will like, first and foremost. 

As Nick somewhat chastised me when I submitted Sun City in his ‘must-have-a-black-member-in-the-band round’, “The song certainly could have appeal to certain groups, but I’m just not in that group”.  The likelihood of me going back to Suicidal Tendencies is slim-to-none, and slim just left town.  Also, I’m really digging Kelly Sundown, and this track got better with every listen.   Lonestar, your heart betrayed your mind, and now you are 0-2 against the good Lady.

Doctor and Chef... thanks for your participation   :hat

Finals
So, wolfking vs obscure in the finals.  Two of the Internationalists vying to be the last one standing.  Here's how we're going to roll ... Thunderdome style.  Not sure if either of you remember a game that was played periodically on the forum pre-2009 crash (I don't recall it being played after that), but here's how it works.  You both submit 3 songs, and tell me which order to listen to them in ... 1, 2, 3.  The 1s go up against each other, as do the 2s and 3s.  Better song wins each round.  Essentially, it's best 2 out of 3.  Got it?  No rush on getting the songs in.  By the end of the weekend, so I can post the winner early next week - I'm traveling out of town Monday thru Wednesday, so definitely get your submissions in over the weekend so I have them on my iPhone.

There can be only one.

Who will be left standing?

Winner gets the title of Jingle.Champ, and any statement they want from me for the purposes of sig'g - you or me.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
It was the only song I could send in good conscience, I would have been a sham sending anything else, and would have been an injustice to what that song means to me.

Congrats wolf and Nem, should be a fun one, thanks for letting me be a part of this.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
I am both like

and like

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
*awaits punishment*

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
coming shortly.... :obscure:

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni

you can actually sig that....

:P

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
You sure, got three hours till I'm at a computer, you can change your mind if you want.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
It was the only song I could send in good conscience, I would have been a sham sending anything else, and would have been an injustice to what that song means to me.

Congrats wolf and Nem, should be a fun one, thanks for letting me be a part of this.

I hear ya.  And trust me, the thanks is all mine.

Guess you have to keep that title under your avatar for a little longer, eh?

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
hahahaha yes... that seems to be the case... unless I come up with something more painful for him to keep....
I'm open to suggestions  ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Booyaah!  I gotta say, I'm pretty happy with myself getting into the finals.  My 3 choices I think are going to go on pure instinct and pretty quick to come up with.  I will send all three songs ASAP, as it's a long weekend here and won't be by a computer that much during this weekend.

Good matchup, and if I lose, I'm happy I've lost to Nem.

If I win, I would have no idea what to do with the prize, I've never really done anything with sigs as you can see.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
Booyaah!  I gotta say, I'm pretty happy with myself getting into the finals.  My 3 choices I think are going to go on pure instinct and pretty quick to come up with.  I will send all three songs ASAP, as it's a long weekend here and won't be by a computer that much during this weekend.

Good matchup, and if I lose, I'm happy I've lost to Nem.

If I win, I would have no idea what to do with the prize, I've never really done anything with sigs as you can see.

:hug:  :heart

exactly my thoughts!!!...

except... I'll probably make Chad regret it if I get to dictate his sig :xbones

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Seems like you have something planned.  Who knows, if I win I may give my prize away.  ;)

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
aww... how gentle of you hun...  but it's all yours if you win... I'll work with you to devastate him though  ;)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
 :lol Should be fun either way by the sounds of it.