Author Topic: Jingle Boy's Roulette v. drum rolll... pass the envelope please.  (Read 94446 times)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Jingle Boy's Roulette v. Round 7 results - Regular season is over
« Reply #805 on: June 04, 2012, 09:41:27 AM »
I spent the entirity of sixth grade English quoting that movie. :rollin

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #806 on: June 04, 2012, 01:31:31 PM »
Anyone anxious for results?  It's been a good day of listening.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #807 on: June 04, 2012, 01:36:05 PM »
Eh, I didn't submit anything, take your time bud.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #808 on: June 04, 2012, 01:43:47 PM »
Easy for the guy with a bye to say so.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #809 on: June 04, 2012, 01:54:23 PM »
Give it.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #811 on: June 04, 2012, 02:57:21 PM »
Give it.

Well, since obscure and zydar have gone nighty night, there isn't much of a rush before the end of the night.  Dinner time soon in the jingle household.  Will post in a few hours.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #812 on: June 04, 2012, 07:09:49 PM »
Zzzzzzzz...

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #813 on: June 04, 2012, 07:24:20 PM »
Give it.

Zzzzzzzz...

Typical old guy.  Shoots his load then falls right asleep.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #816 on: June 04, 2012, 07:55:31 PM »
Just popped in here to post results in between periods.  Stay tuned.  Should be here in about 20 minutes.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #817 on: June 04, 2012, 08:12:59 PM »
All four of you brought it big time.  Just what I wanted.  However, two must fall.

Match 1: obscure vs Zydar

The Viking: Aerosmith/Taste of India
You know the downfall of graduating University, discovering Dream Theater (and then Mrs. Jingle) between '95 and '97?  I missed out on a lot of good mid/late 90s music from some of my favorite 80s rock bands.  Here’s a perfect example of why I need to go back to some of them.  What a great track – and surprisingly, was the longest of the four submissions.  Tyler’s voice is still in top form, experimental work with the Indian sounds, and a very solid riff. I found myself humming the melody most of the day. Two :tup :tup
The DJ:  Mind’s Eye/Feed My Revolver
Well, pulling out the big guns again, going with a killer prog-metal tune from a concept album.  What are ya doing to me, targeting the my musical tastes that make me weak in the knees.  Left me with the same feeling and captured my attention the exact same way that Obsessions did.  Fantastic heavy riff and guitar melodies, awesome vocals, subtle keyboard runs to complement the main melody ... an absolutely complete prog-metal song.  The opening lyric told a tale of your intention methinks ... “Take this gun, point it at the back of his head, and pull the trigger, you hear?”

Result:  Well, here’s a classic example of Don’t make me angry, you wouldn’t like me when I’m angry.  I guess that 5 she got last round made Nem angry, and Zydar, she took it out on you buddy.  If you’ve you seen the movie Thor, picture Zydar as a Frost Giant breaking into Odin’s vault, and Nem as the Destroyer.   Aerosmith got vaporized.  Not to say I didn’t like Taste of India, I absolutely did, but Feed My Revolver was ... well, I don't think there's a strong enough adjective, that’s how good it was.

Match 2:  Coz vs Doc

The Geetar Hero:  Dokken/Kiss of Death
Why I never got in to Dokken I’ll never know.  I guess my perception of them for some reason lumped them in with Slayer, Pantera type stuff, which for the music I was in to in the 80s, was a little too heavy for me.  Boy, was I wrong.  Killer guitar’s (solo and the licks all over the place), great vocal range, great riff!  You’ll need to give me some direction on where to go from here with Dokken.  Me likey a lot.
The Quack: Tiles/Facing Failure
Using his inside knowledge gathered from Wednesday night chat sessions at WPaPU, Mason pulls out something he knows I like, and want to check out more.  Top shelf huh?  More like the back of the cellar (wine ... and in a good way).  There was so much going on in this song, it was impossible to grasp it on my first listen (like a great bottle of wine, the first sip is never the best).  More listens gave me even more to appreciate – which despite the technicality to it, I enjoyed much more than your Clockwork and Power of Omens submissions.  It started a little wonky for me, but the riffs at 0:45 and 1:55 were awesome, and really brought me around on this tune.

Result:  Much closer than the other matchup.  This was like a triple over-time 1-0 victory/loss.  I struggled real hard with this, even looked up the lyrics for each to really get to know the songs.  In the end, I have to give the nod to Tiles.

Zy and Coz - Thanks for playing
:tup
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 09:00:12 PM by jingle.boy »

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
 :omg:   I made it to the next level  ???

:metal

:omg:

:hat

:dammitnick:

:xbones

:blush

someone like you would have to love that song anyway... I'm sorry I doubted you hun :(
I promise you'll love the whole thing... it's absolutely breathtaking.....

also... it's so weird that I made the same Hulk reference in my last review on the zine... and took it out in the last minutes for those who wouldn't catch it.... :)

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Ok, on to the Semi-finals.

Semi-Final 1:  Wolf (1) vs Doc (6)
Semi-Final 2:  Lonestar (2) vs obscure (4) (seriously, I did not plan that, but boy-oh-boy am I glad it worked out this way!)

One piece of clarification on the Adrenaline Rush theme.  Don't think that I mean it has to be super face paced at 200 bpm, with 32nd note double drum kick and Metallica/Battery style power-chords-from-hell.  Those that have been paying attention should know that though.

Edit... shit Nem, what the hell are you doing up at this ungodly hour (for you)?!?!?!?

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
I won't lie to you Chad... I lost sleep over these results ....

and Hakan, I won't lie to you either.... what an awesome tune man.... I'm so honoured to survive such a strong rivalry!!! I knew Aerosmith had a lot stuff that I missed but this one is beyond amazing!!! speaks to me oriental roots.... phew....

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
IMO, the best Dokken album is "Under Lock and Key".  One of my all-time favorite 80's albums.  I'd go to Back For the Attack next, the Tooth and Nail.  Though T&N is an earlier album than those two, I like the other two a little better.  But definitely, UL&K is a must have.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Well I had a song picked out, but I gotta reconsider, wanna make sure I kick that lily white ass of Nem's this time. :hat

EDIT:I just listened to my song again, and in good concience I cannot send any other.  Do with it as you wish Chad, I'm playing my heart here, my email will explain it all.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 10:06:27 PM by lonestar »

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
It was a fun survivor Chad, I never thought I would get this far.

Congratulations Nem :tup
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
thanks hun :hug:

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Sent!!!

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
hope you screw it up  :P

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
You're doomed, might as well send in the fucking Wiggles for all it's worth. :xbones

Offline Lowdz

Quote from: Sir GuitarCozm tle better.  But definitely, UL&K is a must have.
[/quote

I'd agree that you need those two albums. My personal favourite is BFTA- it may be a top 20 for me and has a bit more punch to it than ULAK but quality songwriting on both. BFTA has more tracks and maybe one or two aren't up to the quality of the rest.
Just get both, you won't regret it.
T&N isn't in the same league though there are 3-4 great songs on it. Everything else you can pretty much ignore, though Don's solo album is worth getting (no Lynch though), and then there's the first two Lynch Mob albums- plus Smoke & Mirrors from a couple of years ago. So much good music  ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Shit, I have no idea what to send here.  :mehlin
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
I'd agree that you need those two albums. My personal favourite is BFTA- it may be a top 20 for me and has a bit more punch to it than ULAK but quality songwriting on both. BFTA has more tracks and maybe one or two aren't up to the quality of the rest.
T&N isn't in the same league though there are 3-4 great songs on it. Everything else you can pretty much ignore, though Don's solo album is worth getting (no Lynch though), and then there's the first two Lynch Mob albums- plus Smoke & Mirrors from a couple of years ago. So much good music  ;D

Thanks!  I was hoping one of you guys would offer another opinion on Dokken.  It's possible that since ULAK was my first Dokken album that I'm more attached to it.  So yeah, get both that and BFTA.  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Big fan of Dokken too.  I'm pretty fond of all 4 of their first albums to be honest.  Not much else is really worth a listen IMO.  The last one was pretty good actually and Erase the Slate with Reb has a few good songs too.  The live DVD from that tour is great too, Reb does the songs justice.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Very interesting songs sent for the playoffs.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
Sent.... and missed the man by a few seconds....  :laugh:

Offline Lowdz

Thanks!  I was hoping one of you guys would offer another opinion on Dokken.  It's possible that since ULAK was my first Dokken album that I'm more attached to it.  So yeah, get both that and BFTA.  :lol

I made a balls up of the quote system there, but at least the message got through.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
I've been too busy to put much thought into this round.  Still have no idea what song I'm sending, but if you want to make things easy for me wolf just stick to your countries roots and send "Thunderstruck" by AC/DC.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
"Oh waa-waaaaooooo-waaaaaaaaaa!"   :metal

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
THUN_DAH!!!!!

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Makes me think of Thunder Busters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiH1wNmZTII
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Oh.  My.  God.  I've never seen that before, and seriously bust a gut laughing at that.  :lol :lol :lol Why couldn't someone have sent THAT in the guilty pleasure round???

Brilliant.

:rollin :rollin :rollin