Author Topic: "I'm Not Anti-Gay, I'm Pro-Marriage"  (Read 114209 times)

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
Re: "I'm Not Anti-Gay, I'm Pro-Marriage"
« Reply #595 on: May 17, 2012, 09:54:49 PM »
If you are gay, you are gay.  You might fuck a chick because you want to fit in with your fraternity borthers, but you will be closing your eyes, pretending you are butt banging Jonny's hairy ass.

This is why we have homophobic homosexuals. Believe me, they worse than homophobics. This is actually the thing that H should have supposed to mean. A human lives his/her fake life just because upbringing, society or religion force to do like that. We suppose to fit in nature but it seems we are made not to.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #596 on: May 17, 2012, 09:56:25 PM »
Your nature is not heavily influenced by society/experiences, etc.
You're serious.

Just look around. Think about all the things people care so much about. There is nothing in our nature to tell us that having straight white teeth is important. There's nothing in our nature that tells us we need to make money. There's nothing that tells women that they ought to straight iron their hair because it's more appealing that way. Our desires for these things are learned.

Yes, serious...
That is behavoir, not someones innate nature.  You cant equate a hair style to someones sexual orientation.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Ħ

« Reply #597 on: May 17, 2012, 09:59:06 PM »
Our behavior is part of our nature, just like the behavior of ticking is part of a the nature of a clock.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #598 on: May 17, 2012, 10:03:02 PM »
So bosk, is it a Christians responsibility to make sure other people are acting morally?

That is sort of a loaded, multifaceted question, as I understand it.  Here is my multi-part answer:

It is definitely a Christian's responsibility to, as gently as possible, point out to those who are not acting morally that they are not acting morally.  Beyond that, I do not believe it is a Christian's responsbility to "make sure" people are acting morally, and I do not believe it is a Christian's business to try, for the most part (excluding, for example, making sure your kids do right when you are raising them).

However, tying your question back to the question of the N.C. amendment and other anti-gay marriage laws, I do not see that as Christians "making sure others are acting morally."  I could be dead wrong, but the way I see it, by putting it to a vote, the government is essentially asking everybody, Christian or not, what we think on the issue.  Because we are given a voice on the subject, I think it is perfectly appropriate to vote on it as a Christian.  And going back to my opinion on the subject, which I posted earlier in the thread, I do not believe the government should be about granting special privileged status to conduct that is not moral.  Therefore, I believe voting on laws the clarify that "marriage" should not be extended to homosexual relationships is approriate.  Again, I may be completely misunderstanding what the proper role of Christians in politics should be, but that's my take on it.  And, as I also mentioned earlier in the thread, if it were legal in all 50 states tomorrow, okay.  Others who also have the right to use their votes who hold a different opinion than I do would be in the majority, so so be it if that's the case.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #599 on: May 17, 2012, 10:03:24 PM »
Our behavior is part of our nature, just like the behavior of ticking is part of a the nature of a clock.

But our nature may be something like:
Being Gay
Needing security
Wants social connection and approval

Our Bevavoir, influenced by society/environment can be:
Being straight in appearance only due to social pressure
Being a work a holic to earn lots of money to be secure
Straigtening hair to fit in with the in croewd

Behavoir changes, but nature wont.  Big difference.

The clock can tick loudly, or softly.  It may be digital with no ticking at all.  Behavoir.  But its nature is to tell time.  The changes in behavoir dont change its nature.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 10:09:43 PM by eric42434224 »
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #600 on: May 17, 2012, 10:04:16 PM »
This is why we have homophobic homosexuals.

Oh, wow.  I never realized that, but that makes perfect sense now that you mention it. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ħ

« Reply #601 on: May 17, 2012, 10:06:38 PM »
The external world influences our nature. This is an established biological fact.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #602 on: May 17, 2012, 10:09:07 PM »
The external world influences our nature. This is an established biological fact.

Example?
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Ħ

« Reply #603 on: May 17, 2012, 10:10:58 PM »

Example?
Too easy. Eating more calories than you burn makes you gain weight.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #604 on: May 17, 2012, 10:11:10 PM »

Example?

The addition of a bloody handprint [external influence] transforms what is otherwise merely a volleyball by nature into Wilson.  For example.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #605 on: May 17, 2012, 10:15:56 PM »

Clearly you have failed to see what insticts and behavior are. Nature can not be affected and change. Behaviours can.

Example?

Eating is a nature thing and instict to survive but there is something can be called "eating habit" which can be changed.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #606 on: May 17, 2012, 10:16:46 PM »

Example?

Gaining weight is changing a persons nature?
We are WAY off on what a persons nature means
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #607 on: May 17, 2012, 10:17:16 PM »

Example?

The addition of a bloody handprint [external influence] transforms what is otherwise merely a volleyball by nature into Wilson.  For example.

I concede defeat. :hefdaddy
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Ħ

« Reply #608 on: May 17, 2012, 10:37:38 PM »

Example?

Apparently. I think an organism's nature is, well, the organism itself.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #609 on: May 17, 2012, 10:40:51 PM »

Example?

A persons nature is their inborn character, innate disposition, or inherent tendencies.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Ħ

« Reply #610 on: May 17, 2012, 10:42:10 PM »

Example?

A persons nature is their inborn character, innate disposition, or inherent tendencies.
Agree with all of that but "inborn character". We obviously change quite a bit from the moment of birth.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #611 on: May 17, 2012, 10:45:42 PM »
inborn meaning innate or internal...not your behavoir or appearance at birth.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Ħ

« Reply #612 on: May 17, 2012, 10:47:27 PM »
Sure, I agree with all of that. Your nature is basically who you are.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #613 on: May 17, 2012, 10:53:36 PM »

Not ALL you are.  You can have behavoirs that go against your nature.  That is the difference.

Anyway...great discussion....got to go to bed.  Goodnight!
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Ħ

« Reply #614 on: May 17, 2012, 10:55:45 PM »

Not ALL you are.
Aaaaaaaaand we're back where we started.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #615 on: May 17, 2012, 10:58:48 PM »

Not ALL you are.

THIRD BASE!!!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #616 on: May 17, 2012, 11:40:21 PM »

Not ALL you are.

THIRD BASE!!!
+1

H, you are right to notice that nurture plays an enormous role in the development of people. This cannot be disputed. However, it's the intensity of some of your suggestions that seems to be turning some of the kind folk in this thread off. You are implying that somebody who is 100% homosexual can become 100% heterosexual, which doesn't make any more sense than saying a male can become female. Running with that example, a male can grow up to act extremely masculine or extremely feminine, and whether he does will certainly be determined by nurture; however, he can never act so feminine that he becomes a female.

That's the point. It's a sliding scale, but you're not free to move wherever you want. If you're born 100% heterosexual, you might become a bit gayer over time, but you're effectively locked into the hetero-zone.

I'll offer myself as an example. I would consider myself very heterosexual. I am simply not attracted to men. Just doesn't happen for me. If all women disappeared off the face of the earth (god forbid), and I simply didn't have a choice but to have sex with men, I'd probably eventually get used to it, but I don't see myself ever really enjoying it. I can't realistically envision a scenario where I can just trade women for men because I was born heterosexual. I encourage you to mull over this scenario yourself, realistically and without bias.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #617 on: May 18, 2012, 12:05:09 AM »
There is nothing in our nature to tell us that having straight white teeth is important.

And yet, despite wanting straight white teeth in our society, most of us are born with teeth that are not straight, and many more have to use whitening to make their teeth white. Naturally, most teeth would not be straight and white - and the reason we desire those traits is precisely becuase they are naturally rare, and indicative of natural health.

There's nothing in our nature that tells us we need to make money.

Naturally, I need food and place to live. That forces me, in the current social environment, to make money.

There's nothing that tells women that they ought to straight iron their hair because it's more appealing that way.

And yet, despite the social pressure to straighten out hair (?? honestly, I think I like curlier hair better... but that's way too tangential), people are still naturally born with hair that needs to be straightened.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #618 on: May 18, 2012, 12:07:44 AM »
Yet when someone straightens their hair, at that moment their nature is having straight hair.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #619 on: May 18, 2012, 12:11:42 AM »
Yet when someone straightens their hair, at that moment their nature is having straight hair.

No? Nevermind, you're defining nature very loosely to say the least, so I'm out. I guess you could say it's in my nature to leave this thread at this very moment or whatever. Have a fun time kiddos. :)
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ħ

« Reply #620 on: May 18, 2012, 12:13:22 AM »

No? Nevermind, you're defining nature very loosely to say the least, so I'm out. I guess you could say it's in my nature to leave this thread at this very moment or whatever. Have a fun time kiddos. :)
Well, if nature is genotype plus external influences, then I don't see how the nature of their hair isn't straight.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #621 on: May 18, 2012, 12:21:36 AM »

Well, if nature is genotype plus external influences, then I don't see how the nature of their hair isn't straight.

Then I guess that all the women with implants are naturally busty.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #622 on: May 18, 2012, 12:23:35 AM »
You're using "nature" in a way I'm not. When you're talking about nature, you're talking about genotype alone, sans external influences.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #623 on: May 18, 2012, 12:29:38 AM »
I'm using "nature" as it is defined in the dictionary.

https://dictionary.reference.com/browse/natural?s=t

existing in or formed by nature ( opposed to artificial): a natural bridge.
based on the state of things in nature; constituted by nature: Growth is a natural process.
of or pertaining to nature or the universe: natural beauty.
of, pertaining to, or occupied with the study of natural science: conducting natural experiments.
in a state of nature; uncultivated, as land.

I mean, it's "nature vs nurture," and even though its really more "nature and nurture", you're pointing to nurture, and calling it nature.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #624 on: May 18, 2012, 12:34:34 AM »
Because it really shouldn't be "nature and nurture". Nurture is contained within nature.

Naturally, we are supposed to be lactose intolerant. So would you say it is against a person's nature to be tolerant of lactose? They maintain lactose consumption and effectively altered their predestined disposition.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #625 on: May 18, 2012, 12:39:51 AM »
Obviously not, because they had to straighten their hair to make it straight, and their hair will go right back to its natural form once they take a shower. This is more "working around your nature" than "changing your nature temporarily", because what would the latter even mean? And those who encourage gays not to express their homosexuality are forcing them to work around their nature.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #626 on: May 18, 2012, 12:40:40 AM »
predestined disposition.

i.e. nature.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #627 on: May 18, 2012, 05:03:32 AM »
you're pointing to nurture, and calling it nature.
This, definitely.

BTW, ran across a few quotes from John Locke.  I thought of them in relation to the NC Amendment One.  They struck my fancy, not sure how relevant anyone else will find them.

"New opinions are always suspected, and usually opposed, without any other reason but because they are not already common."

"The end of law is, not to abolish or restrain, but to preserve and enlarge freedom."
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #628 on: May 18, 2012, 06:38:31 AM »
Since this thread has become such a nature/nurture pissing contest, I will now only post in yellow in this thread.

Offline the Catfishman

« Reply #629 on: May 18, 2012, 07:09:15 AM »
Since this thread has become such a nature/nurture pissing contest, I will now only post in yellow in this thread.

+ why does it matter if being gay is nurture or nature.