Author Topic: "I'm Not Anti-Gay, I'm Pro-Marriage"  (Read 114202 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: "I'm Not Anti-Gay, I'm Pro-Marriage"
« Reply #175 on: May 09, 2012, 08:25:28 PM »
Dude. Defective? It doesn't matter if you think it's universal, but you just called every gay person broken.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #176 on: May 09, 2012, 08:26:08 PM »
I suppose I'm going to get jumped on for using "defect" again...but again, let me remind you that this is ALL INCLUSIVE.  There isn't a human being alive that ISN'T defective.   WE'RE ALL defective.

Just to be clear on what defects you're talking about here, do you have any other examples of defects that you view in the same way you view homosexuality?

Offline Rick

« Reply #177 on: May 09, 2012, 08:29:33 PM »
It made me mad.   I believe the first words out of my mouth upon my revelation was..."OH GOD NO!!  ANYTHING BUT THAT!!!!"   Then I ran away.

Hey, I was exactly like that when I realised as a teenager that I really was bi, after years of repressing it! Less like alcoholism, more like divine revelations, I guess ;)

I guess I do tend to get verbose sometimes.   I apologize.   But in one of my posts, I acknowledged that I agree with you.  It's not a choice.   But ACTIONS are ALWAYS a choice.    We all are born with some kind of defect.   No one is exempt.   But do we decide for ourselves whether it's OK to act on those things?  Or do we let God make the choice for us?   I have chosen the latter.   

So your god chooses to tell you to act in a way so as to actively avoid gay people so as to make them and their behaviour seem judged and rejected by their fellow man, and generally make them feel like shit because of (presumably, in your mind) something in their nature that your god instilled in them from birth. That sounds like a pretty unfair and irrational god to be following.

Also, I'm pretty sure it's against forum rules to insist on repeatedly referring to my sexuality as 'defective'. Just sayin'.

Offline Omega

« Reply #178 on: May 09, 2012, 08:30:46 PM »
Oh my god.  Dude, Omega.  Please.  Reconsider everything about your world view and your view of yourself right now.  The way you're going, you're going to be unhappy forever.  Or, you're going to have a moment when you get older when you're forced to realize that everything you thought was wrong.  And you're going to then spiral to other intellectually and emotionally vacuous places to fill that hole in your identity.

Oh my god.  Dude, ReaPsTA.  Please.  Reconsider everything about your world view and your view of yourself right now.  The way you're going, you're going to be unhappy forever.  Or, you're going to have a moment when you get older when you're forced to realize that everything you thought was wrong.  And you're going to then spiral to other intellectually and emotionally vacuous places to fill that hole in your identity.
ΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩ

Offline Omega

« Reply #179 on: May 09, 2012, 08:33:02 PM »
Your arguments are nothing but...OPINIONS

Now, now, senecadawg2...

Is it merely your opinion that my arguments are mere opinions? Or is it your opinion of the opinion of my argument's opinion that the opinions that have been reached are nothing but opinions?

ΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩ

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #180 on: May 09, 2012, 08:34:35 PM »
Oh my god.  Dude, Omega.  Please.  Reconsider everything about your world view and your view of yourself right now.  The way you're going, you're going to be unhappy forever.  Or, you're going to have a moment when you get older when you're forced to realize that everything you thought was wrong.  And you're going to then spiral to other intellectually and emotionally vacuous places to fill that hole in your identity.

Oh my god.  Dude, ReaPsTA.  Please.  Reconsider everything about your world view and your view of yourself right now.  The way you're going, you're going to be unhappy forever.  Or, you're going to have a moment when you get older when you're forced to realize that everything you thought was wrong.  And you're going to then spiral to other intellectually and emotionally vacuous places to fill that hole in your identity.

One group is clearly on the wrong side of history.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #181 on: May 09, 2012, 08:36:22 PM »
Excellent responses Omega.  Well thought out rebuttals.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #182 on: May 09, 2012, 08:36:59 PM »

Now, now, senecadawg2...

Is it merely your opinion that my arguments are mere opinions? Or is it your opinion of the opinion of my argument's opinion that the opinions that have been reached are nothing but opinions?

Your unearned cockiness is incredible.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline TL

« Reply #183 on: May 09, 2012, 08:39:54 PM »
Omega, just so you know, posts like that don't come off as profound or intellectual as you may think.

Offline Omega

« Reply #184 on: May 09, 2012, 08:43:38 PM »
I've given answers to many of these questions in the past homosexuality thread. You're free to stop by that thread whenever you'd like. Besides, why should I even think that any of you are interested in anything resembling a rational discourse? The last time I bought into that oh-so-innocent idea many of you guys "voted" to lock the thread and resorted to writing "rebuttals" that resembled that of an emotionally distraught 12 year old. So pardon me if I'm not too motivated to take many of you so seriously as a result.

Offline TL

« Reply #185 on: May 09, 2012, 08:45:26 PM »
Would you like to actually link to this thread you keep referencing, since some of us may not know what thread you're referring to?

Offline Omega

« Reply #186 on: May 09, 2012, 08:46:30 PM »
Omega, just so you know, posts like that don't come off as profound or intellectual as you may think.

How do you suggest I respond to a type of comment that basically states "well, like, it's just all your opinion, dude! Like we all have opinions and we're all sharing them, dude, but your opinion is like not true, man! Like deal with it, ya know? I mean, if the majority of people on an internet site think that your opinions is, like, wrong, it's wrong, bro. Just accept it, ok?"? I'm neither inclined to take such a comment any more seriously than need be, nor am I too inclined to even attempt any sort of further rational discourse with such a poster.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #187 on: May 09, 2012, 08:47:12 PM »

Now, now, senecadawg2...

It is very simple...
I am of the opinion that you are wrong.
You are of the opinion that you are right.
For some reason, you are attempting to argue your opinions as if they were facts.

I am in no way denying the existence of my own biased opinions. Only trying to enlighten you to the nature of your own biased opinions; which you seem to be in denial of.

And let's not begin talking about 'rational discourse'. The rationale behind your arguments is anything but rational, in my opinion.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline TL

« Reply #188 on: May 09, 2012, 08:48:58 PM »

How do you suggest I respond to a type of comment that basically states "well, like, it's just all your opinion, dude! Like we all have opinions and were all sharing them, dude, but your opinion is like not true, man! Like deal with it, ya know"? I'm neither inclined to take such a comment any more seriously than need be, nor am I too inclined to even attempt any sort of further rational discourse with such a poster.
Multiple times you're tried passing off opinion as fact. It's not unreasonable for someone to ask you to actually back up something that you're claiming to be fact.
One problem here is that you've already decided that your opinion is 'rational' and that anyone who disagrees with you is being 'irrational'.

Online Adami

« Reply #189 on: May 09, 2012, 08:49:24 PM »

How do you suggest I respond to a type of comment that basically states "well, like, it's just all your opinion, dude!"? I'm neither inclined to take such a comment any more seriously than need be, nor am I too inclined to even attempt any sort of further rational discourse with such a poster.

You could realize that when you post things you claim to be unarguable objective facts, which are actually just your opinions, you come off as cocky. You could realize that these ideas aren't actually unarguable objective facts and are merely just your opinions. Simply realizing and admitting this will go a long way to creating a more polite and productive conversation. You have a lot of knowledge and very interesting ideas that would get recognized more if you didn't state them as facts. Hope this helps.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #190 on: May 09, 2012, 08:50:42 PM »
Adami is correct.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #191 on: May 09, 2012, 08:51:34 PM »
I feel similarly to Adami.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #192 on: May 09, 2012, 08:53:31 PM »
Omega, you periodically manage to turn a thread about a subject into a thread about you. 
I end up having to warn you and others to get back to the topic.
Either find a new way to discuss the subject without derailing into a subject about you or enjoy a vacation. 
This is your final warning!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #193 on: May 09, 2012, 08:55:32 PM »

How do you suggest I respond to a type of comment that basically states "well, like, it's just all your opinion, dude!"? I'm neither inclined to take such a comment any more seriously than need be, nor am I too inclined to even attempt any sort of further rational discourse with such a poster.

You could realize that when you post things you claim to be unarguable objective facts, which are actually just your opinions, you come off as cocky. You could realize that these ideas aren't actually unarguable objective facts and are merely just your opinions. Simply realizing and admitting this will go a long way to creating a more polite and productive conversation. You have a lot of knowledge and very interesting ideas that would get recognized more if you didn't state them as facts. Hope this helps.

As the ancient Jewish proverb says: The force is strong with this one.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline yeshaberto

« Reply #194 on: May 09, 2012, 08:57:02 PM »
that sounds more like star wars, silly

Online Adami

« Reply #195 on: May 09, 2012, 08:59:34 PM »
that sounds more like star wars, silly

He meant the Schwartz.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #196 on: May 09, 2012, 09:01:52 PM »
Quote from: whoever posted this
The amendment is fucking insane, and a real shame for the state of North Carolina. A whole lot of ignorant, self-righteous, morons decided it was time to take matters into their own hands, and 'protect' marriage. I get it though, over the years it has become obvious that gays are assaulting the institution of marriage, and that it needs protection.

I'm posting from my phone so sorry that I didnt get the user in the quote.

@who posted this - just because you disagree doesn't  mean those people are self righteous, ignorant morons. You can kick and scream at me all you want about it, but just because someone doesn't agree with you make them any less right. It's clear you believe something different, which is fine. Just don't say they're ignorant morons. If anything, it makes you look like an ignorant moron. You don't know every single voter who voted. Etc.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #197 on: May 09, 2012, 09:07:06 PM »
I think that anyone who purposefully infringes upon the rights of others deserves at the very least to be called a moron, if not labelled with a more malicious label.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #198 on: May 09, 2012, 09:07:27 PM »
The amendment is fucking insane, and a real shame for the state of North Carolina. A whole lot of ignorant, self-righteous, morons decided it was time to take matters into their own hands, and 'protect' marriage. I get it though, over the years it has become obvious that gays are assaulting the institution of marriage, and that it needs protection.

@who posted this - just because you disagree doesn't  mean those people are self righteous, ignorant morons. You can kick and scream at me all you want about it, but just because someone doesn't agree with you make them any less right. It's clear you believe something different, which is fine. Just don't say they're ignorant morons. If anything, it makes you look like an ignorant moron. You don't know every single voter who voted. Etc.

Maybe "ignorant morons" wasnt the correct term, but "self-righteous" fits pretty well for someone who wants to push their own specific religious based beliefs on to all residents of their state.  The judges would also have accepted "Fucking Asshats" and "Lord and Lady Douchbag".
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline jammindude

« Reply #199 on: May 09, 2012, 09:09:09 PM »
Man...all I did was go to eat dinner...and I fall so far behind.

A couple of things before I go to take a shower (and fall two more pages behind).   A "defect" is anything...anything at all...that gives us a predisposition to do anything that is against God's standards.    That's a pretty broad blanket that NOT ONE SINGLE PERSON ON EARTH is immune from.   Ever had the urge to lie?  That's a defect.  My personal list of defections is a half mile long...but I digress.

Also...God DID NOT create us this way.   God created Adam flawless...but Adam rebelled and thus "defected" himself.  So he was incapable of passing down anything but defective children.  That is why we are defective from birth...every last person who was ever born of man.  (save Jesus, who was protected from inheriting imperfection by his father...but again...that's getting into another topic). 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #200 on: May 09, 2012, 09:09:30 PM »
Omega, you periodically manage to turn a thread about a subject into a thread about you. 
Either find a new way to discuss the subject without derailing into a subject about you or enjoy a vacation. 

Just so I know where the line is, just how many Final Warnings do we get?
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=32006.msg1274136#msg1274136
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline yeshaberto

« Reply #201 on: May 09, 2012, 09:12:05 PM »

Just so I know where the line is, just how many Final Warnings do we get?
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=32006.msg1274136#msg1274136

:lol

my short memory should serve as a testimony on why not to frequently use cannibas.

that was a final warning (which I admit I did forget  :biggrin:) for speaking against another member
this final warning is for derailing threads

I will count on your memory, though, to keep me in check

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #202 on: May 09, 2012, 09:12:42 PM »

Maybe "ignorant morons" wasnt the correct term, but "self-righteous" fits pretty well for someone who wants to push their own specific religious based beliefs on to all residents of their state.  The judges would also have accepted "Fucking Asshats" and "Lord and Lady Douchbag".

Sorry Snapple, I suppose I misspoke a bit. 'Ignorant morons' might not be appropriate, and I was very frustrated when I posted that. I acknowledge that this is just my opinion, and you are entitled to your own.

However, as some others have said, I completely stand by my accusation of self-righteousness.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #203 on: May 09, 2012, 09:12:55 PM »
my short memory should serve as a testimony on why not to frequently use cannibas.
:hat

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #204 on: May 09, 2012, 09:17:41 PM »
Eric...I'd also like to point out that if you have an issue or a question about a mod or mod decision in the future, you do so privately by pm, or through the report function. This thread and others are not the places to question a mods decision or actions, or to second guess another members status.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #205 on: May 09, 2012, 09:19:21 PM »
Eric...I'd also like to point out that if you have an issue or a question about a mod or mod decision in the future, you do so privately by pm, or through the report function. This thread and others are not the places to question a mods decision or actions, or to second guess another members status.

It was just a joke.  Yesh took it in the spirit it was intended.  I dont want to see anybody banned.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #206 on: May 09, 2012, 09:20:46 PM »
^ cool beans...dude.   :)
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #207 on: May 09, 2012, 09:24:03 PM »
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 09:53:07 PM by eric42434224 »
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Rick

« Reply #208 on: May 09, 2012, 09:35:00 PM »
Man...all I did was go to eat dinner...and I fall so far behind.

A couple of things before I go to take a shower (and fall two more pages behind).   A "defect" is anything...anything at all...that gives us a predisposition to do anything that is against God's standards.    That's a pretty broad blanket that NOT ONE SINGLE PERSON ON EARTH is immune from.   Ever had the urge to lie?  That's a defect.  My personal list of defections is a half mile long...but I digress.

Also...God DID NOT create us this way.   God created Adam flawless...but Adam rebelled and thus "defected" himself.  So he was incapable of passing down anything but defective children.  That is why we are defective from birth...every last person who was ever born of man.  (save Jesus, who was protected from inheriting imperfection by his father...but again...that's getting into another topic).

You have no idea how genuinely sad reading your posts makes me. I find your thinking incredibly dangerous; I hope that one day you will re-read and reflect upon the posts I've made in response to you, and not view them as something you must immediately defend yourself against. At no point have I suggested you should renounce your faith - I merely think you should re-think how you approach it as at present it seems remarkably skewed and misguided.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #209 on: May 09, 2012, 10:34:48 PM »

I will count on your memory, though, to keep me in check
[/quote]

Well, doesn't the latter neutralize the former?