Author Topic: "I'm Not Anti-Gay, I'm Pro-Marriage"  (Read 114206 times)

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
Re: "I'm Not Anti-Gay, I'm Pro-Marriage"
« Reply #105 on: May 09, 2012, 01:37:07 PM »
I'm surprised he hadn't already said he supported it. What did he say in the past when asked what his opinion on gay marriage was?

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #106 on: May 09, 2012, 01:38:02 PM »
He's always supported "civil unions" and said his position on Gay Marriage was "evolving"

You have to give him credit for being open-minded here, I think.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #107 on: May 09, 2012, 01:42:37 PM »
That calls for a large, multicolored dancing pickle

Barry, now's not the time for pillow talk ;)

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #108 on: May 09, 2012, 01:47:17 PM »
He's always supported "civil unions" and said his position on Gay Marriage was "evolving"

You have to give him credit for being open-minded here, I think.
Who, Obama? Is there really any chance he wasn't just keeping it on the DL to avoid hurting his political image among conservatives? I sincerely doubt that he's actually taken the last few years to formulate an opinion about gay marriage.

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #109 on: May 09, 2012, 01:48:08 PM »
So I first got wind on this through Fox News through Google News update.  I read it.  Slightly right leaning; expected and really no big deal.

But then I got to the comments:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/05/09/obama-expected-to-discuss-gay-marriage-position/#comment

My lord, if there is anything to De-legitimize a newspaper, it is to let its readers talk.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #110 on: May 09, 2012, 01:50:54 PM »
So I first got wind on this through Fox News through Google News update.  I read it.  Slightly right leaning; expected and really no big deal.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/05/09/obama-expected-to-discuss-gay-marriage-position/#comment

My lord, if there is anything to De-legitimize a newspaper is to let its readers talk.
As if anything with a 'NBC' in its description is any different, only aimed at the right?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #111 on: May 09, 2012, 01:54:05 PM »
Grand speech, Omega. Rings kinda hollow in the light of the high divorce rate. So, pick a number in the line of religious preachers whose own people fail at those teachings.

rumborak

P1. Marriage is an institution tasked with overseeing the obligations attendant upon procreation from a socio-economic view
P2. Divorce

C: Therefore, screw marriage.

I guess my wife and I should divorce after almost 18 years of marriage because we couldn't concieve children.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #112 on: May 09, 2012, 01:57:36 PM »
What Obama would've said, in my imagination: "I'm not pro-gay marriage, I'm anti-bigotry".

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: May 09, 2012, 01:58:32 PM »

My lord, if there is anything to De-legitimize a newspaper is to let its readers talk.
As if anything with a 'NBC' in its description is any different, only aimed at the right?
Maybe I read soundgarden's post wrong or something, but I don't think he was implying that it only happens on right-leaning sites, and last time I checked two wrongs don't make a right so.....

Offline jammindude

« Reply #114 on: May 09, 2012, 02:02:05 PM »
^ Well, I have to be honest, I am not a father (I am only 20), but I just can't imagine disowning my child for anything. I'm sure I could, but it would have to something that extremely made by angry and appalled.

However, to not get off topic, I do not think (unfortunately) that that video will have any major impact, as many similar ones (different circumstances, of course) have been posted over the history of YouTube, but I am hoping it can make a personal impact on certain detractors to gay marriage and/or rights.

I'm assuming you meant "it would have to be something that made me extremely angry and appalled."  And that's just it.  I understand that *you* wouldn't be angry and appalled...and I personally (as a practicing Christian) wouldn't be angry or appalled...  But I can understand why someone would be.   And I'm sympathetic to parents who get angry and/or appalled...but I usually disagree with the way they deal with those emotions.   

Lashing out is not Christian...cruelty is not Christian...   But distancing yourself from those who have chosen to lead (what God has declared as) an immoral lifestyle is also Christian.   

If I were in a situation where something like this happened (and I have known those who have) I would simply tell the child that I will always love them, but that they have chosen to go down a path that I cannot follow.    I would cease to have the most important part of my life in common with them.    My relationship with my heavenly father is a very personal relationship that guides every aspect of my life.    I show love and kindness to *all* people without exception...but who I go out of my way to spend my personal time with is a different story.     I condemn NO ONE.  It is not my place.   If I were to condemn or judge anyone, I would be setting myself up in the judgment seat of God.   I would never ever do that.   But I'm also obligated to keep certain moral elements at arms length.   Too many times...people aren't balanced about this.   Too many people feel like if you don't accept it, you are automatically a hateful bigot.   But the old adage of "hate the sin, love the sinner" should be followed to the letter.   Show love for the person...but keep a distance from people who insist on following a certain course of action.

The Bible principle on how to treat PRACTICING homosexuals, would be *exactly* the same as the principle on how to treat PRACTICING alcoholics.   "I love you...I understand that you were born this way.  But at the end of all things, the sentence for *MAKING A PRACTICE* of such actions will be death.   I will always love you, and I will always be here for you if you decide to make a change, but I will not condone your actions.   God has given us a gift (whether that be the use of alcohol, or sexual activity) that must be practiced ONLY within the boundaries he has set (that is, alcohol ONLY in moderation...sexual activity ONLY between a married man and woman)...God has already decreed that the penalty for *MAKING A PRACTICE* of using these gifts outside of HIS boundaries will be death...forever.   I hold out hope that you will change your course in life...because I love you very very much.  But until you change your actions, we really have nothing more to say to each other."   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #115 on: May 09, 2012, 02:03:50 PM »

https://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/05/09/11621156-obama-i-think-same-sex-couples-should-be-able-to-get-married#comments

You can be the judge. There are a couple attacks ("Take that NC", "Aren't there more pressing issues?", "Flip flop", "bending to pressure", etc.), and then there are a couple detractors of gay marriage who for some reason meandered to the liberal side of the fence, but absolutely nothing here is as mind-bendingly ignorant as the comments on the Fox article. Examples for fun and profit:

"There has been no charity to raise as much money as AIDS.  There has been billions raised for AIDS awareness and treatment, yet gay men are still contracting that disease.  How much intelligence does it take to recognize that boo-fooing is a filthy practice that causes that deadly disease???"

"He's finally out of the closet.  Seeing his wife I should of guessed it!!!"

"People who practice homosexuality are extremely sick and self absorbed individuals."

"Obowma the MOOSLEM backing GAY marriage??????????????????

Mooslems will lie to infidels if it helps their cause.

NOBAMA 2012"
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 02:09:09 PM by theseoafs »

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: May 09, 2012, 02:04:06 PM »

Maybe I read soundgarden's post wrong or something, but I don't think he was implying that it only happens on right-leaning sites, and last time I checked two wrongs don't make a right so.....
I agree Barry, maybe I took it wrong. The one guarantee is that if you want to find the most repulsive, ignorant, low life degenerate pieces of poo mankind has to offer...just go to ANY comment section on online news sites. Disgusting people there hiding in thier anonymity.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #117 on: May 09, 2012, 02:08:08 PM »
The one guarantee is that if you want to find the most repulsive, ignorant, low life degenerate pieces of poo mankind has to offer...just go to ANY comment section on online news sites. Disgusting people there hiding in thier anonymity.

I have never agreed more with anything else you have ever said.

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #118 on: May 09, 2012, 02:11:57 PM »
^ Well, I have to be honest, I am not a father (I am only 20), but I just can't imagine disowning my child for anything. I'm sure I could, but it would have to something that extremely made by angry and appalled.

However, to not get off topic, I do not think (unfortunately) that that video will have any major impact, as many similar ones (different circumstances, of course) have been posted over the history of YouTube, but I am hoping it can make a personal impact on certain detractors to gay marriage and/or rights.
*snip*
I shouldn't have to point out that homosexuality and alcoholism are not analogous. Although your genetics may make you predisposed to addictive tendencies, you become an alcoholic by drinking enough alcohol to develop a dependency on it. One is not "born alcoholic".

EDIT: Unrelated to the rest of the post but I found more awesome comments on the Fox article.

"Obama is a self-inconpoop."

"I sure am glad that my grand mother is not alive to see this.
The first blk president of the US, stopping at nothing to be reelected.
next week he will have Mrs. Obama walking the streets of DC selling her assets for a vote. you have to wonder where it will end.
"
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 02:17:09 PM by theseoafs »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #119 on: May 09, 2012, 02:18:03 PM »

*snip*
I shouldn't have to point out that homosexuality and alcoholism are not analogous. Although your genetics may make you predisposed to addictive tendencies, you become an alcoholic by drinking enough alcohol to develop a dependency on it. One is not "born alcoholic".

There are MANY MANY people who would disagree with you.   At least, that one is born with the *predisposition* for being alcoholic.

But we may simply have to agree to disagree. 

I would compare a "born" alcoholic who's never been exposed to alcohol to a "born" homosexual who's never been exposed to homosexuality. 

Seriously...even though you may think that one is born and the other is not....the debate for alcoholics being "born that way" and homosexuals being "born that way" is exactly the same.   And each has its supporters and its deniers.   It essentially comes down to which side you choose to believe.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #120 on: May 09, 2012, 02:23:29 PM »
First off, an alcoholic never exposed to alcohol isn't an alcoholic. A homosexual who never has gay sex is still a homosexual as it is based on desire and love and not intercourse. Secondly, an addiction and a capacity to love are not in the slightest bit comparable, under any circumstance. Alcoholics and homosexuals are not comparable. Thirdly, you said that an alcoholic who is never exposed to alcohol is the same as a homosexual who is never exposed to homosexuality. Not true. A homosexual doesn't even need to know that it exists to realize what they are, they just need to be exposed to human beings. If they are exposed to men BAM, they know. If they are exposed to women, they at least know something isn't normal. They don't even need to know what homosexuality is. Alcoholics on the other hand, if never beginning to drink, never become alcoholics, they stay people who have a predisposition to become addicted.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #121 on: May 09, 2012, 02:24:43 PM »
You can be born with a predisposition to alcoholism. But you are not born alcoholic. You're an alcoholic if your dependency on alcohol is interfering with your life; obviously, under the correct definition, alcoholism and predisposition to alcoholism are not at all similar. An example: I was likely born with a genetic predisposition to alcoholism. My father and paternal grandfather were very serious alcoholics. My ethnic background is primarily Mexican and Irish. However, I've never had a drop of alcohol. So I am obviously not an alcoholic, and I wasn't born an alcoholic.

But there's no such thing as a predisposition to homosexuality that comes out once you're "exposed to homosexuality", because that doesn't make any sense. If you're a homosexual, you're going to feel a sexual attraction to members of the same sex when puberty hits and you start having sexual feelings.

In short, if you know people who are saying that alcoholism and homosexuality are analogous, they are incorrect.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: May 09, 2012, 02:31:40 PM »
Fair and Balanced

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #123 on: May 09, 2012, 02:33:30 PM »
False. We all know that only Congress has the power to declare war on marriage.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: May 09, 2012, 02:35:37 PM »
You can be born with a predisposition to alcoholism. But you are not born alcoholic. You're an alcoholic if your dependency on alcohol is interfering with your life; obviously, under the correct definition, alcoholism and predisposition to alcoholism are not at all similar. An example: I was likely born with a genetic predisposition to alcoholism. My father and paternal grandfather were very serious alcoholics. My ethnic background is primarily Mexican and Irish. However, I've never had a drop of alcohol. So I am obviously not an alcoholic, and I wasn't born an alcoholic.

But there's no such thing as a predisposition to homosexuality that comes out once you're "exposed to homosexuality", because that doesn't make any sense. If you're a homosexual, you're going to feel a sexual attraction to members of the same sex when puberty hits and you start having sexual feelings.

In short, if you know people who are saying that alcoholism and homosexuality are analogous, they are incorrect.

The analogy of homosexuality to alcoholism is nothing but an attack on homosexuality as some kind of social/medical/psychiatric defect. 

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #125 on: May 09, 2012, 02:36:19 PM »
False. We all know that only Congress has the power to declare war on marriage.

Doesn't he have about 40 days or something to do as he pleases as commanding officer before having to tell congress what he is doing.  Or is that only in state of emergency?

@gmiller: yea, thats what I meant.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #126 on: May 09, 2012, 02:39:41 PM »
First off, an alcoholic never exposed to alcohol isn't an alcoholic. A homosexual who never has gay sex is still a homosexual as it is based on desire and love and not intercourse. Secondly, an addiction and a capacity to love are not in the slightest bit comparable, under any circumstance. Alcoholics and homosexuals are not comparable. Thirdly, you said that an alcoholic who is never exposed to alcohol is the same as a homosexual who is never exposed to homosexuality. Not true. A homosexual doesn't even need to know that it exists to realize what they are, they just need to be exposed to human beings. If they are exposed to men BAM, they know. If they are exposed to women, they at least know something isn't normal. They don't even need to know what homosexuality is. Alcoholics on the other hand, if never beginning to drink, never become alcoholics, they stay people who have a predisposition to become addicted.

I have known MANY...MANY alcoholics who absolutely disagree with this.   They were "born alcoholics"....period.   

People are getting the idea that I am on one side of this issue or the other....I'm not.    I'm not a scientist...I don't actually know if alcoholics are born, or if homosexuals are born.   But I've been around enough to know that the debate looks EXACTLY the same to me.    I have seen "scientific evidence" that homosexuals ARE NOT born...but that it's a lifestyle choice.   I've seen "scientific evidence" that alcoholics ARE born and that there is NO choice in the matter.  Who's right?  I have no freakin idea.  But if you don't think the debates mirror each other...you're mistaken.   

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: May 09, 2012, 02:42:55 PM »
YAY this is all we will hear about till November now.

Economy? Afghanistan? Job market? Social Security? Education? Abortion? PFFT! Such irrelevant issues!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline the Catfishman

« Reply #128 on: May 09, 2012, 02:44:50 PM »
Is that Fox headline for real? Amazing, I love the US.

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #129 on: May 09, 2012, 02:44:55 PM »
@jd: Alcoholics who claim to be born alcoholics are either A) speaking figuratively (a very real possibility; what they mean is that they were predisposed to alcoholism and quickly became alcoholics when they first had alcohol) or B) ignorant of the actual medical definition of alcoholism (also a possibility). Rest assured that it makes no sense whatsoever under the definition of alcoholism that one could be born alcoholic.

There is scientific evidence that people are born with genetic predispositions to alcoholism. Homosexuality, under its proper definition, is not a lifestyle choice.

But if you don't think the debates mirror each other...you're mistaken.   
There is no debate.

People are getting the idea that I am on one side of this issue or the other....I'm not.   

Surely you understand why we might think you're on one side of the issue, given that you juxtaposed homosexuality and alcoholism, the latter of which is a harmful addiction.

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #130 on: May 09, 2012, 02:45:07 PM »

I have known MANY...MANY alcoholics who absolutely disagree with this.   They were "born alcoholics"....period.   

People are getting the idea that I am on one side of this issue or the other....I'm not.    I'm not a scientist...I don't actually know if alcoholics are born, or if homosexuals are born.   But I've been around enough to know that the debate looks EXACTLY the same to me.    I have seen "scientific evidence" that homosexuals ARE NOT born...but that it's a lifestyle choice.   I've seen "scientific evidence" that alcoholics ARE born and that there is NO choice in the matter.  Who's right?  I have no freakin idea.  But if you don't think the debates mirror each other...you're mistaken.

You missed his main point; an alcoholic might never become one if NEVER introduced to it; and would feel fine.  Its only when he gets his first sip then his predisposition kicks in.  The human body would not "crave" it if it never experienced it.  However, a homosexual male would know something is amiss if he is completely surrounded by females and has no attraction to them.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: May 09, 2012, 02:47:47 PM »
@jd: Alcoholics who claim to be born alcoholics are either A) speaking figuratively (a very real possibility; what they mean is that they were predisposed to alcoholism and quickly became alcoholics when they first had alcohol) or B) ignorant of the actual medical definition of alcoholism (also a possibility). Rest assured that it makes no sense whatsoever under the definition of alcoholism that one could be born alcoholic.

There is scientific evidence that people are born with genetic predispositions to alcoholism. Homosexuality, under its proper definition, is not a lifestyle choice.

But if you don't think the debates mirror each other...you're mistaken.   
There is no debate.

People are getting the idea that I am on one side of this issue or the other....I'm not.   

Surely you understand why we might think you're on one side of the issue, given that you juxtaposed homosexuality and alcoholism, the latter of which is a harmful addiction.

Right on the money. 

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #132 on: May 09, 2012, 02:48:07 PM »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #133 on: May 09, 2012, 02:49:54 PM »

The analogy of homosexuality to alcoholism is nothing but an attack on homosexuality as some kind of social/medical/psychiatric defect.

The only difference between "defect" and "condition" is whether you believe the "problem" is "wrong" or not.   I do not believe it is my place to call *ANYTHING* right or wrong.   "Right" and "wrong" can only be outlined by God.  Not by any man.

Offline Odysseus

« Reply #134 on: May 09, 2012, 02:50:30 PM »
A refreshing glimmer of sanity in the darkening abyss of the ever-more secularized and increasingly relativist United States of America.

Why don't you put youir money where your mouth is and demand the death penalty for homesexuality?

"If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives." (Leviticus 20:13 NAB)

Just sayin'
Nothing like cherry picking a verse to serve a purpose. Levitical law is Old covenant, and Christ followers shouldnt be too concerned with a set of laws theyve been redeemed from. If you can find me a verse where Jesus (New Covenant)tells me I need to kill all gays then id be impressed. But I suspect your google search won't reveal that for you.

Indeed, but you're overlooking the fact that Jesus was a Jew teaching the Jewish Law to his fellow Jews and, as such, Leviticus, being part of the Torah. would be very much a part of that Law.

Judaism was the religion of Jesus.  Christianity is largely the religion of Paul, who told Jews to forget the Jewish Law.

Jesus told the Jewish crowds that in order to enter the kingdom, they needed to do what God had commanded in the Jewish law. Specifically they needed to carry out the two greatest commandments of the law: love god with all their heart, soul and strength (quoting Deuteronomy 6:4-6) and love their neighbours as themselves (quoting Leviticus 19:18)
"On these two commandments", urged Jesus, "hang all the law and the prophets" (Matthew 22:40)

However.... Paul said, "You who want to be justified by the law have cut yourselves off from Christ; you have fallen away from grace" (Galatians 5:4)

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #135 on: May 09, 2012, 02:56:31 PM »

The only difference between "defect" and "condition" is whether you believe the "problem" is "wrong" or not.   I do not believe it is my place to call *ANYTHING* right or wrong.   "Right" and "wrong" can only be outlined by God.  Not by any man.
Homosexuality is neither a defect nor a condition nor a problem. It's just a trait, and one that is deeply connected to the self.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #136 on: May 09, 2012, 02:58:15 PM »
-snip of stupid pic that doesn't further the conversation of gay marriage in any way shape or form-

hyperbole

:rollin
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 03:03:50 PM by snapple »

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: May 09, 2012, 02:58:41 PM »
A refreshing glimmer of sanity in the darkening abyss of the ever-more secularized and increasingly relativist United States of America.

Why don't you put youir money where your mouth is and demand the death penalty for homesexuality?

"If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives." (Leviticus 20:13 NAB)

Just sayin'
Nothing like cherry picking a verse to serve a purpose. Levitical law is Old covenant, and Christ followers shouldnt be too concerned with a set of laws theyve been redeemed from. If you can find me a verse where Jesus (New Covenant)tells me I need to kill all gays then id be impressed. But I suspect your google search won't reveal that for you.

Indeed, but you're overlooking the fact that Jesus was a Jew teaching the Jewish Law to his fellow Jews and, as such, Leviticus, being part of the Torah. would be very much a part of that Law.

Judaism was the religion of Jesus.  Christianity is largely the religion of Paul, who told Jews to forget the Jewish Law.

Jesus told the Jewish crowds that in order to enter the kingdom, they needed to do what God had commanded in the Jewish law. Specifically they needed to carry out the two greatest commandments of the law: love god with all their heart, soul and strength (quoting Deuteronomy 6:4-6) and love their neighbours as themselves (quoting Leviticus 19:18)
"On these two commandments", urged Jesus, "hang all the law and the prophets" (Matthew 22:40)

However.... Paul said, "You who want to be justified by the law have cut yourselves off from Christ; you have fallen away from grace" (Galatians 5:4)
I've overlooked nothing and am aware of who Christ was and is, and what he taught his Jewish bretheren through scripture (from the Torah) and what he teaches those who care to hear. My point was/is Christ didn't/doesn't endorse killing Homosexuals....

Offline jammindude

« Reply #138 on: May 09, 2012, 02:59:54 PM »
That's why I put problem in quotes.   Because even if you substitute "trait"...it doesn't change the point of my comment in any way. 

The only difference between a "defect" and a "trait" is whether or not you think something is "right" or "wrong"...and I believe that no man has the right to declare what is "right" and "wrong"...only God does.

And for the record, there's not a single person on earth who is not "defective"...not me...not you...not anyone.  That is also why I feel I have no right to judge anyone.  I'm defective.   

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #139 on: May 09, 2012, 03:07:48 PM »
And which god would that be!?

TOPIC DERAILMENT!!! (sorry just ignore me and this post)