Author Topic: What the Unions did to the US  (Read 2750 times)

Offline AndyDT

What the Unions did to the US
« on: July 15, 2012, 08:09:05 AM »
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2173761/Tragic-portrait-city-decline-The-desolate-ruins-Gary-Indiana-reveal-decaying-heart-Americas-proud-industrial-centre.html

Check out the comments saying how greedy the Unions got in the 1970s. Sounds like the UK before Margaret Thatcher.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
Re: What the Unions did to the US
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 08:21:38 AM »
Not really a surprise to many Americans here. They still serve a useful purpose (fair wages and what not) but other than that, I believe they are far too powerful.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 09:20:56 AM »
Gary appears to be on the rebound.  Looks like they're tearing a lot of that stuff down, and building new stuff.

Detroit has plenty of cool abandonment, as well.  Lots of good pictures coming out of there. 

As I understand it, Gary was a company town.  It's not surprising that a city built solely for the employees of one company should disintegrate once that company collapses.  Furthermore, I don't believe that unions were their downfall.  Massive imports of cheap foreign steel is what did them in.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 02:11:45 PM »
It's rather ignorant to blame the demise of steel in the US on the unions.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 05:26:03 PM »

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 09:09:56 PM »
I watched Waiting for "Superman" the other day, and that film doesn't have many kind words about the teachers' unions.  Much of what's wrong with our public school system started with the teachers' unions, and it's really quite sad.  Goes to show that unions aren't all good, even though they're a necessity.