Author Topic: 2012-07-07 - ACL Live - Austin, TX  (Read 21990 times)

Offline jcmistat

Re: 2012-07-07 - ACL Live - Austin, TX
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2012, 12:11:51 AM »
Flawless show. Pulling out Another Day in celebration of I&W's 20th anniversary was an awesome surprise.

Woooooo! I love Another Day, amazing!
WHAT

I am seriously listening to the song right now.  ???

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2012, 01:56:07 AM »
They played Pull Me Under AND Another Day and left out A Fortune In Lies.

GREAT show, and it was totally awesome to meet Progmetty and El Barto before the show!  We also had damn fine post-show grub with PM and his brother-in-law.  That's two DTF'ers off of my list. :tup

Anyhoo, ACL Live is an amazing venue.  Not as beautiful as the Majestic, but seeing where Austin City Limits is now being taped is just a hip thing to me.

Now for the picture spam! :D

JP channeling Stevie Ray Vaughan

I LOVE this pic of James

I completely killed my neck though, but I had a great time doing it.  Also glad I was able to witness the things they did for the 20th anniversary of Images and Words.  I feel like SUCH a damn fangirl, but I really don't care - I had such a great time.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2012, 03:34:33 AM »
Figures, the one guy who didn't have a problem with attending two consecutive nights of shows with the same set list gets the first set list change of this leg :lol
I loved it, a cool little video on the cubes about I&W anniversary then Pull Me Under and Another Day, then closing with Metropolis of course. I noticed A Fortune in Lies was gone after Surrounded, they also started playing at 8:37 tonight, last night it was 8:43, dunno if it was intentional for the extra song.
Again luck striking for me was the choice of song to drop, last night as I was leaving the San Antonio show I said "The only song I'd drop off that set list in A Fortune in Lies"  :o, literally.
So awesome to see Barto again and such a pleasure to meet DebraKadabra and her nice family, Debra is so much fun to hang out with especially cause I've never hung out with DT fans who make DT jokes, I finally got to laugh with someone about the lyrics of TCoT offline :lol
Thanks Barto, Debra for making this more of a perfect day :)
And thank you elyster for the heads up about the MusicMakers M&G, I wouldn't have heard about it if you didn't mention it here.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2012, 03:43:06 AM »
Haha, that Count of Tuscany reference was actually REALLY off the cuff. :lol

You're so sweet, it was a pleasure meeting you and Sam too.  And Barto too, but you missed some damn fine grubbage dude.

You're quite welcome - it was cool to finally get a meet hooked up.  AND at a DT show to boot! :metal

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2012, 03:49:24 AM »
JP channeling Stevie Ray Vaughan

When he pulled out that hat I was hoping to find a picture of it later! He looked so damn cool and funny in it  :D
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 03:55:11 AM by Progmetty »
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2012, 04:02:44 AM »
I'd told him that all he needed after the cowboy hat was the old beat-up Strat with SRV on it, and I also added that he was seriously channeling Stevie big time - he agreed and said that it's what he was going for. :lol :tup

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2012, 04:31:16 AM »
Haha, gym buff Stevie Ray Vaughan? Now that's "Double Trouble" :neverusethis:
By the way after Breaking All Illusions we left our seat and head to the front and stood their with El Barto for the three I&W songs, near the end of Metropolis JP made eye contact with me and recognized me from the MusicMakers M&G and nodded as in "Hey you're right here!" with a huge smile as he played the final chords, and as soon as he took the guitar off he gave me, Barto and my brother in law picks, from earlier the Mesa thing at MusicMakers event.

Let me explain the guitar picks thing, last night at the San Antonio show after they were done playing and saluting the crowd; JP looked at someone at the front row and waved his pick like "I only got one sorry".
And surely enough today at the MusicMakers signing event when my brother-in-law asked him about throwing him a pick at the show JP said "Someone asked me the same thing last night in San Antonio and I can't really give away my pick as it's a custom design I really only have one right now", so I said "I tried to explain it to him but he still wanted to ask you, I knew it cause Mrs. Petrucci mentioned it on DTF" hehe, he chuckled and then picked up a pick from a big pile of picks on the table where he had the pictures he was signing and said "You can have one of these though!" and handed each of us one.
At this point I discovered that Mesa cosponsored his appearance at MusicMakers or something cause there was a huge sign with their name above the signing table and a guy was walking around giving out Mesa bumper stickers to the people in line.
JP signed a Mesa pick and gave it to my brother-in-law and I guess JP then had the idea to take a bunch of these picks with him to the show and give them away at the end of the show since he apparently doesn't like saying no to people and he can't go around explaining the custom pick dilemma onstage at every show heh, so at the end of tonight's show he was throwing away the Mesa picks from the event to throw out at audience at the end of the show.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 04:37:03 AM by Progmetty »

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2012, 04:36:01 AM »
P.S: John Petrucci is truly a very nice and humble guy. Proud to be a fan of his.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2012, 04:39:49 AM »
Haha, gym buff Stevie Ray Vaughan? Now that's "Double Trouble" :neverusethis:

:rollin :clap:

I saw that you guys had moved up front - I think there were a few other peeps who had the same idea. :lol

That's also a really cool story about JP and his guitar picks.  That's funny that he took the picks with him though. :lol

P.S: John Petrucci is truly a very nice and humble guy. Proud to be a fan of his.

I definitely agree.

Offline kevinpwrs

« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2012, 05:00:45 AM »
I really hope they leave Another Day in the set and take out FIL. I have never liked that song. We are seeing them in Richmond and DC this week.
"You know how you get to Carnegie Hall don't ya? Practice!"

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2012, 05:18:43 AM »
My photos:

I took those in line for the MusicMakers event in Austin, note the Mesa banner behind JP(picks on the table):

My fun chat with Mr. Petrucci:

I'm gonna type up that nice little chat as I still remember it so clearly and it's obvious to me now that I'll never forget it, but I'm so tired right now so I guess I'll do it when I wake up.

Only picture I snapped at the show was of the last goodbye, I didn't even zoom, we were that close:

Final farewell to the cubes, see you on the BluRay:

Offline ibosmiley

« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2012, 07:36:59 AM »
Very cool 20th Anni tribute for I&W!  I'm sure that was a one time thing for this tour... for as much as I'd love to hear Another Day again... I think I'd actually rather hear AFIL.  I've heard Another Day on the ToT tour but I've never heard a full version of AFIL... just the medley version they did on the SFAM tour.
"Are you listening to the words I say.  In the meadows my thoughts dance and play.  I know now I'm the only one.  Who can convince the rising sun"

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2012, 02:47:42 PM »
Brief recollection of my chat with JP:- I told him I was a huge DT fan of course and I love his work on ADTOE, enjoyed the compositions, the lyrics and the production, went on to briefly elaborate on why I found each of these things special and how it makes ADTOE my favorite album as a whole since SFAM, that is not to undermine the records since then as they all had something special to them and I certainly enjoyed them all.
I told him that back in Egypt I had seen a couple of DT cover bands and that was as close as it got until I actually moved here and saw DT live last year and that it was a dream come true and they really delivered by the greatest set and stage production I've seen for DT on video from any of their previous tours.
He asked me being from Egypt what I thought about Outcry and I told him I really loved it and that there has been quiet a few songs in Egypt about the revolution since it happened but none that really moved me lyrically as much as Outcry and JP was so happy about that.
That led into me telling JP that I think it would be great if Outcry and all the ADTOE songs that has been played live would be included on the DVD, that next part of the conversation is worth posting as is:
JP: Yes! We're recording over a couple of nights and will be playing all these song for the DVD.
Me: Nice!, the New York shows!
JP: Not New York! We're recording them over in South America.
Me: Oh cool! I can't say that on the forums, can I?
JP: You sure can.
Me: Awesome! I also really hope there's a BluRay release!
JP: Definitely there's gonna be a BluRay as well.
I mentioned that I picture the concert release artwork to be heavily based on the album artwork as to capture the spirit or the ADToE era in every way as it should be documented as the album and this subsequent tour to be remember together as a testament to these days and the creative themes involved. I wasn't thinking of LSFNY when I said that but now I actually realize that what I was asking for is an era documentation much like the SFAM/LSFNY one.
After we took the pictures and right as I was walking away for the next fan to come along:
Me: We're waiting on Suspended Animation 2!
JP: Haha working on that!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 03:02:15 PM by Progmetty »

Offline drew512

« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2012, 02:58:52 PM »
I managed to get a decent video of Another Day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnNh-3ZR3Ok

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2012, 03:05:55 PM »
GREAT convo with JP, PM :metal

Is it bad that I was trying to see myself in drew's video? :lol

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2012, 03:06:15 PM »
I managed to get a decent video of Another Day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnNh-3ZR3Ok

Thank you very very much for sharing this. You're a hero  :tup
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2012, 03:13:42 PM »
Just back to Dallas and finally getting to eat the BBQ that was half the reason I drove down their in the first place.  God damn those people know how to smoke meat down there.

Good show and great to meet some nice people, as well.  Not crazy about Another Day or PMU, but it was great to see them mix things up for a change. 

Crimson Projekt was fantastic.  Probably enjoyed their set more than DT's.  Indiscipline in particular was mind blowing. 

And Barto too, but you missed some damn fine grubbage dude.
Horribly disappointed to hear that.  Don't know why it didn't occur to me that y'all would have known exactly where to find good late night chow.  What a fool!
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2012, 03:16:07 PM »
Next time, dude. :)

Agreed on Indiscipline - one of my favorites from that record besides The Sheltering Sky and Frame By Frame.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2012, 03:43:56 PM »
Is it bad that I was trying to see myself in drew's video? :lol

Not at all, I did the same thing hehe
You can see my humongous figure at the center front clapping at 0:17 then holding my head from excitement about the nice surprise :lol, I yelled "Holy shit are they playing the whole album?!", Barto then turns around and tells me "Well they already played Surrounded". What made me think they might was that special video about the anniversary before Pull Me Under and also Another Day coming next as it is on the album track listing.

Thank you so much for sharing that, unforgettable now!

And Barto too, but you missed some damn fine grubbage dude.
Horribly disappointed to hear that.  Don't know why it didn't occur to me that y'all would have known exactly where to find good late night chow.  What a fool!

You have missed out on that place man! Debra found our hungry asses on the street where you left us waiting for the band to come out, about 30 minutes after you left and they told us it will be at least an hour before the band comes out so we decided to leave, I would have stayed if Sam didn't whine about starvation hehe
Amazing food though, I'm enjoying some left overs as I type this heh
I also found out grub means food, did not know that  ;D

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2012, 03:48:09 PM »
Grub has ALWAYS = food in my world. :lol

I should watch that vid again - I only caught the first almost minute or so as YouTube has been horrible with loading vids these days.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2012, 04:11:09 PM »

Wow! Probably the best performance I've seen of the song. James slayed more than he ever has during this song.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2012, 04:13:18 PM »
I think drew may have been right above where we were, cause I couldn't see myself in the video. :lol ;)

That said - drew is a manbeast for loading that up for us, AWESOME video. :metal

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2012, 04:14:22 PM »
Let me explain the guitar picks thing, last night at the San Antonio show after they were done playing and saluting the crowd; JP looked at someone at the front row and waved his pick like "I only got one sorry".
And surely enough today at the MusicMakers signing event when my brother-in-law asked him about throwing him a pick at the show JP said "Someone asked me the same thing last night in San Antonio and I can't really give away my pick as it's a custom design I really only have one right now", so I said "I tried to explain it to him but he still wanted to ask you, I knew it cause Mrs. Petrucci mentioned it on DTF" hehe, he chuckled and then picked up a pick from a big pile of picks on the table where he had the pictures he was signing and said "You can have one of these though!" and handed each of us one.
At this point I discovered that Mesa cosponsored his appearance at MusicMakers or something cause there was a huge sign with their name above the signing table and a guy was walking around giving out Mesa bumper stickers to the people in line.
JP signed a Mesa pick and gave it to my brother-in-law and I guess JP then had the idea to take a bunch of these picks with him to the show and give them away at the end of the show since he apparently doesn't like saying no to people and he can't go around explaining the custom pick dilemma onstage at every show heh, so at the end of tonight's show he was throwing away the Mesa picks from the event to throw out at audience at the end of the show.

Talk about things right under my nose that I can't see, I should have known Mesa was sponsoring his appearance just by checking johnpetrucci.com

June 17th - 2012
John Petrucci Mesa Boogie Meet n Greet

July 7th at Music Makers
517-B S. Lamar Blvd. Austin, TX 78704
1:00-3:00

This is the picture they give people when they walk into the store for JP to sign, I asked for an extra one.
JP signed one for me, I also had him sign ADTOE

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2012, 04:17:54 PM »
:2metal:

Offline Mladen

« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2012, 04:23:13 PM »
That led into me telling JP that I think it would be great if Outcry and all the ADTOE songs that has been played live would be included on the DVD, that next part of the conversation is worth posting as is:
JP: Yes! We're recording over a couple of nights and will be playing all these song for the DVD.
Color me excited!  :metal

Offline drew512

« Reply #60 on: July 08, 2012, 06:10:17 PM »
No problem guys!  :tup

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #61 on: July 08, 2012, 06:11:52 PM »
 :tup

Offline drew512

« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2012, 08:01:02 PM »
Not as special as Another Day, but here's Metropolis: https://youtu.be/LWH0axrgy7Q  :metal

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #63 on: July 08, 2012, 10:26:00 PM »
Not as special?!  That's just wrong, dude.

:2metal:

Offline drew512

« Reply #64 on: July 08, 2012, 10:43:23 PM »
Haha, that came out wrong. Metropolis is one of my favs, and is actually the reason I started the video after PMU as I assumed it would be next. AD was a pleasant surprise. I just meant that there are tons of Metropolis vids since it is played so often... AD is pretty rare to hear these days.  :lol

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #65 on: July 08, 2012, 10:46:46 PM »
Well, I found me in Metropolis at 9:58 so it's all good. :P

All kidding aside, that is so awesome that you caught at least part of a really awesome DT show that I was at.  That's always cool to me. :metal

Offline jcmistat

« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2012, 01:07:55 AM »
The Another Day video was great thank again for uploading.

Offline johncal

« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2012, 05:16:26 PM »
God damn those people know how to smoke meat down there.

The rolling papers get pretty greasy though

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2012, 07:28:33 PM »
Brief recollection of my chat with JP:- I told him I was a huge DT fan of course and I love his work on ADTOE, enjoyed the compositions, the lyrics and the production, went on to briefly elaborate on why I found each of these things special and how it makes ADTOE my favorite album as a whole since SFAM, that is not to undermine the records since then as they all had something special to them and I certainly enjoyed them all.
I told him that back in Egypt I had seen a couple of DT cover bands and that was as close as it got until I actually moved here and saw DT live last year and that it was a dream come true and they really delivered by the greatest set and stage production I've seen for DT on video from any of their previous tours.
He asked me being from Egypt what I thought about Outcry and I told him I really loved it and that there has been quiet a few songs in Egypt about the revolution since it happened but none that really moved me lyrically as much as Outcry and JP was so happy about that.
Me: Nice!, the New York shows!
JP: Not New York! We're recording them over in South America.
Me: Oh cool! I can't say that on the forums, can I?
JP: You sure can.
Me: Awesome! I also really hope there's a BluRay release!
JP: Definitely there's gonna be a BluRay as well.
I mentioned that I picture the concert release artwork to be heavily based on the album artwork as to capture the spirit or the ADToE era in every way as it should be documented as the album and this subsequent tour to be remember together as a testament to these days and the creative themes involved. I wasn't thinking of LSFNY when I said that but now I actually realize that what I was asking for is an era documentation much like the SFAM/LSFNY one.
After we took the pictures and right as I was walking away for the next fan to come along:
Me: We're waiting on Suspended Animation 2!
JP: Haha working on that!

Awesome  :tup
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2012, 07:47:00 PM »
A dream come true, I was so sure that I'm gonna beat myself up later for forgetting to say something I wanted to say but it turned out beautifully.
Maybe the one thing that nagged my mind later was whether or not I was clear when I talked about ADTOE being my favorite album since SFAM that he didn't misunderstand it as me saying I haven't enjoyed anything you did since SFAM until ADTOE, which is not true and maybe a little rude as well. It could be all in my head as my paranoia about how well people understand what I'm saying in English kicks in. Not being my first language and all.