Author Topic: 2012-07-07 - ACL Live - Austin, TX  (Read 21986 times)

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
2012-07-07 - ACL Live - Austin, TX
« on: May 07, 2012, 12:35:13 PM »
The moment the tickets went for sale the first 6 rows were gone, not as bad as the SA show but anyway, I'm not getting my front dream spot here either.
So I'm basing whether or not I'm going to this concert on finding people to go with, my wife and brother in law will be with me for the SA show so they're not coming to the Austin show or they'll come only cause I asked them and that's just a waste and kinda sad.
I just know if I decide to miss out on that concert they'll play a different set list than the SA one and I'll be smacking the back of my head with a flip flop about it..
I miss my home and my friends  :'( (But then I'll miss going to concerts heh)
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline McNugg

• Lurker Extraordinaire
Re: 2012-07-07 - ACL Live - Austin, TX
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 08:49:23 AM »
If i'm not mistaken, this gig is 20 years to the day since Images and Words was released..

Just throwing it out there....

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 09:40:05 AM »
Nothing's gonna happen for that. I'm just thinking of the couple different songs they'll play than the SA show.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline elyster

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 02:54:59 PM »
Have you ever seen a concert at ACL?  The acoustics are amazing and there is not a bad seat in the house.  We were front row mezzanine for Gigantour and it was perfect.  It stretches over nearly half the floor section so you are still close to the stage.

I was not really interested in going to this show - since they just played in Austin not too long ago - until i found out this was the venue they will be playing.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 08:57:01 PM »
Sold.

Offline zach

• Tenderfoot the stooge
  • listen, trill with all yor fingers!
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 08:27:37 PM »
I've never been to moody but I figured it would be an awesome venue. I opted for the mezzanine because always thought it was best for all around experience. So listen I have two tickets and know no one who likes any of the music I do. Let me know if your interested.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 09:13:20 PM »
You have two tickets other than your's? Also where on the chart/how close?
I'm playing the new Barto strategy on this one and waiting till they release some of the front seats cause otherwise I'm angry enough at their system not to go at all.

Offline zach

• Tenderfoot the stooge
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 02:51:09 PM »
No no, I have an extra ticket. Bought two have no one to take with me who is a DT fan. I haven't  researched the seating chart but tickets say Mess2 Row B Seat 305 & 6. Aren't they good enough? You can see more from up a little right? Totally understand the system comment. That's why I just buy tickets and consider myself satisfied.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 11:05:14 PM »
Decent seats for sure but I was really shooting for the first 4 or 5 rows of F3 or a F4 sections, F is floor and here's the chart https://www.acl-live.com/venue/seating
I think I'm not going if I can't get the seats I want. It's just too depressingly unfair.
Also I need two tickets as someone is coming with me.

Offline zach

• Tenderfoot the stooge
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 06:50:13 PM »
Alright well if you know a fellow DT fan let me know

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2012, 02:07:58 PM »
I'm so excited about this show.

Offline Vegvisir

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2012, 05:21:46 PM »
Ill be there. Don't have a clue what my tickets will be though. Also going to be at the SA show, don't have a clue what those tickets will be either. Ha. Anticipation..

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2012, 06:28:33 PM »
So that means you haven't bought your tickets yet?

Offline elyster

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 08:40:31 AM »
I got an Austins Pizza email saying JP is doing a meet and greet at MusicMakers from 1-3pm on the day of the show.

With pizza!   :tup

Offline Vegvisir

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 08:58:58 AM »
Haha, No...
That means the San Antonio show i'm doing the M&G, So i won't know the seats until they give me the tickets, and the Austin one I'm using the ticket for life that I won last year, so I won't know those until I pick them up from will call.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2012, 03:17:23 PM »
Haha, No...
That means the San Antonio show i'm doing the M&G, So i won't know the seats until they give me the tickets, and the Austin one I'm using the ticket for life that I won last year, so I won't know those until I pick them up from will call.

Oh you did the live nation package thing! Sweet! I think they'll give you decent seats.

I got an Austins Pizza email saying JP is doing a meet and greet at MusicMakers from 1-3pm on the day of the show.

With pizza!   :tup

JP + Pizza!!!!
What's the catch? I saw the announcement on MusicMakers website now but it doesn't say anything about admission fees or pizza fees :lol

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2012, 05:48:20 PM »
We'll be at this one too :)

Offline stavannah

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2012, 10:35:46 PM »
I'm in Houston and want to go to the show in Austin tomorrow.  Anybody want to carpool?   I need to get back in Houston the night of the Austin show because  I will also be going to the Dallas show on Monday and plan on driving to Dallas Sunday morning.

Even better, if anyone is heading to Dallas the night of the Austin show and wouldn't mind hanging around a DT fan please let me know.  I can pay most of the gas bill.   I don't need a ride back from Dallas.   I've seen these guys a lot and try to make every show I can.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2012, 10:43:16 PM »
Sounds like a really sweet road trip and I wish I was in Houston to do the whole thing with you, but I hope you find a road trip buddy. Best of luck!

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2012, 03:11:58 AM »
Can't help you, as I'm in Austin.  Sorry.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2012, 06:18:41 AM »
You drove back last night? It's the exact same thing I'm doing tonight, it's so nice not to have to drive after the show, I had that yesterday and tonight I pay back hehe

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2012, 12:31:17 PM »
Looks like I'll be making a surprise appearance tonight.  Go figure.  Scored front row on the center aisle.  Like I keep telling you people,  I rule!
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2012, 12:33:19 PM »
You drove back last night? It's the exact same thing I'm doing tonight, it's so nice not to have to drive after the show, I had that yesterday and tonight I pay back hehe

Well, yeah - Austin is a very doable drive from San Antonio and vice versa, but I guess it depends on where in SA you are. :lol

Looks like I'll be making a surprise appearance tonight.  Go figure.  Scored front row on the center aisle.  Like I keep telling you people,  I rule!

Noice! :metal

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2012, 03:07:49 PM »
Barto you freakin devil, fuck yes.
Met JP at the music makers store, had a nice 10 minut talk, so nice and down to earth this man.
I'm typing on my iPad so it's really irritating, more later I guess :)

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2012, 03:16:15 PM »
Met JP at the music makers store, had a nice 10 minut talk, so nice and down to earth this man.

:tup

Yeah, JP is the epitome of nice dude.

So... we're being all leisurely about getting ready to go - I think I'm the only one who's even remotely close to being ready. :lol

Offline ryanmalmstrom

« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2012, 03:18:00 PM »
My wife surprised me with tickets to this at the last minute.  Does she know how to party or what?

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2012, 03:20:36 PM »
That's awesome, dude. :tup

Offline ryanmalmstrom

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2012, 03:24:01 PM »
We saw the first leg, but due to funds, I opted to skip this one.  Then i saw the set (as a friend of mine went to the MPLS show) and my jaw nearly fell on the floor.  Still, i didn't kick and scream.  I accepted my decision.  Such a great surprise.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2012, 03:24:13 PM »
If you don't mind me asking, what did you guys get a pretty decent conversation going about? Ten minutes is pretty awesome talking to a band member during a meet and greet type situation.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2012, 04:23:01 PM »
I had some things to say and questions to ask figured out on the drive from San Antonio and waiting in the M&G line for 30 minutes I saw how people took their time with him & that the place had a chill vibe and no one tells you to speed it up or move it along or anything like that. I also turned to the person behind me in line and told him if he doesn't mind I'm gonna take a bit longer of a talk with JP, just to be polite and not rush myself and he was cool about it too. The freakin stars aligned for this man, it's very rare that things go exactly according to plan for me like that & I'm happy about it and very thankful :)
Im at a hookah cafe near the theater now, chilling with a friend and smoking some sheesha.
Took a bunch of pictures with JP and I'll be posting them tomorrow when I got home since they're all on my digital camera.
I have a conformation from JP that the DVD is not going to be filmed in NY, it's gonna be in South America, "probably" all the ADTOE song are gonna be included, Outcry for sure and  there will be a BluRay release for sure.
I told him a few things I wanted to say about my Dream Theater fandom journey without being a fan boy, which I managed by preparing what I was going to say beforehand as I said :lol, I'll type up the whole conversation as soon as I get home after the show while it's still fresh.
I'll get to see a DT show with Barto sitting close to me, again! And I'll meet Debra hopefully, such an awesome day :)

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2012, 06:46:52 PM »
Success!  Met Barto, Progmetty, and PM's brother in law before the Projeckt set :metal

We're hanging outside for right now - it's warm, but at least there's a breeze. :)

We also ran into some non-DTF buds of ours, lovin it! :D

Offline drew512

« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2012, 11:05:00 PM »
Flawless show. Pulling out Another Day in celebration of I&W's 20th anniversary was an awesome surprise.

Offline jcmistat

« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2012, 11:58:16 PM »
Flawless show. Pulling out Another Day in celebration of I&W's 20th anniversary was an awesome surprise.

Woooooo! I love Another Day, amazing!

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2012, 11:59:10 PM »

Awesome! I figured they would do at least something like that for the anniversary.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2012, 12:10:22 AM »

Woooooo! I love Another Day, amazing!
WHAT
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"