Author Topic: Britain is the fatnacker of Europe  (Read 3768 times)

Offline Odysseus

Britain is the fatnacker of Europe
« on: May 07, 2012, 12:32:11 PM »
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1314807/How-Britain-fattest-country-Europe-fifth-overweight-world.html

Now Britain is the fattest country in Europe (and the fifth most overweight in the world)

Americans are still top of global obesity table

Britons are the fattest people in Europe, with one of the world’s fastest obesity growth rates, according to a leading international think-tank.
The UK comes top out of 20 European Union nations, with almost one in four people so fat they could face an early grave.
Levels of fatness in Scottish children are second worst in the world, behind the U.S., while children in England are eighth worst.
Overall, in a study of citizens of the 33 richest countries, the UK is fifth behind the U.S., Mexico, Chile and New Zealand.

Developed nations are getting fatter, warns the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development which produced the report.
The Paris-based watchdog claims the growing costs of healthcare and wasted resources are making obesity a top priority for many governments.
Report author Franco Sassi, a former London School of Economics lecturer, puts the blame on modern lifestyles.
He said: ‘Food is much cheaper than in the past, in particular food that is not particularly healthy, and people are changing their lifestyles. They have less time to prepare meals and are eating out more in restaurants.

There is a frightening increase in the epidemic. We’ve not reached the plateau yet.’
According to the report, the lifespan of an obese person is up to 10 years shorter than that of a normal-weight person – the same loss of lifespan incurred by smoking.

It shows 24 per cent of men were rated obese and 25 per cent of women in 2008 in the UK.
In addition, 42 per cent of men are overweight and 32 per cent of women, meaning that up to two in three people have their health put at risk by their weight.
In Scotland, latest figures show 35 per cent of 12 to 15-year-olds are overweight or obese, compared with 29 per cent of children aged five to 17 in England.
Tam Fry, of the National Obesity Forum, said the OECD rightly calls for governments to work together. ‘People cannot fail to have got the message over the last ten years over what obesity does to you but they’re in denial.’
He added: ‘A bigger approach is necessary, with joined up governments so there is no place for the food industry to hide from legislation on processing and advertising.
‘At present, industry can threaten to go abroad if they don’t like proposed changes, but they couldn’t do that if all countries had the same policies.’
Nifa McLaughlin, editor of baby and parenting website gurgle.com, said ‘There are no real excuses when it comes to the health of your child.
‘It is up to parents to take responsibility for their children’s overall dietary health, and
ultimately their size.’

Heh! You lot think you can beat us at everything.  Well.... let me tell you..... We're catching you guys up!    :metal

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Re: Britain is the fatnacker of Europe
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 12:43:56 PM »
I blame Scotland.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 01:56:29 PM »
I blame Scotland.

In all seriousness, this does not surprise me.  The UK probably has the most fattening diet in the whole of Europe, and they seem to be following the lead of their wayward children in the States of adapting an increasingly sedentary, couch-and-tv-dominated lifestyle, more-so then their continental neighbours.

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 02:05:04 PM »
I blame Scotland.

*sigh*

I would come to my country's defence but honestly, there's no point on this one.

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 08:05:21 AM »
*eagerly awaits Andy's input*

Offline Odysseus

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 11:12:45 AM »
In all seriousness, this does not surprise me.  The UK probably has the most fattening diet in the whole of Europe, and they seem to be following the lead of their wayward children in the States of adapting an increasingly sedentary, couch-and-tv-dominated lifestyle, more-so then their continental neighbours.

Sounds about right to me.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 01:00:19 PM »
One of the other problems is that it can be hereditary too. Fat parents tend to have fat kids. Along with upbringing styles, it's a vicious circle. I'm lucky that my mom was skinny. I can eat a lot, never excersize, and still weigh less then 94% of people my height. 

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 12:19:02 AM »
For the most part, genetics isn't so strict. There are a couple of genes that make it much more likely that you'll be skinny, and there's a couple of genes that make it much more likely that you'll be overweight, but for most people it's depends upon diet and lifestyle. Evolution and genetic change does not occur quickly enough for it to explain the current increase in obesity in America or other parts of the world. 

Offline jsem

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 05:09:26 AM »
Plus, studies continue to show that who you spend time with will affect your appearance. If you have more fat friends, you're more likely to get fat. Social acceptance has a role to play.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 05:21:59 AM »
Don't know why this is news because pretty much everyone already knows this.

Offline Odysseus

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 11:31:00 AM »

I think everyone knew it was heading this way, but apparently now it's official.  Whoopee.....  :-\

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2012, 05:51:17 PM »
Britain gave America the concept of freedom and the rights we fought the revolution for.

And in return, America has given you obesity, disguised as technology and our corporate business model.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2012, 05:56:54 PM »

This, yeah. Britons were already considerably fatter than their European counterparts 10 years ago, when I lived there. Even my mom commented on it when she visited me there.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2012, 06:24:26 PM »
I guess this is what they've resorted to in order to "expand" their empire.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline alirocker08

• Apparently not a hobbit
  • 'Sup, I'm a very short elf
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2012, 12:15:05 PM »
From what I've observed in school...I can honestly say that this is right among Year 10 and below. In sixth form you get a lot of skinny people, only one or two that I would call 'fat'
ITT: We discover that Alice is elvish...
Psshh, your status as a hobbit has just been a cover. Your cover has been blown.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2012, 04:44:12 AM »
Posting this from England:

Yup.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2012, 04:56:37 AM »
Fat bastard knows karate! Just sayin......
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2012, 12:17:17 PM »
You're in England Rumbo? Where abouts?
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman