Author Topic: CANCELLED: 2012-05-04 - Century Theater - Beijing, CHN  (Read 10055 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: CANCELLED: 2012-05-04 - Century Theater - Beijing, CHN
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2012, 11:43:52 AM »
So..... JP and his wife keep talking about how unfortunate it was that DT couldn't play, but.... they don't mention the "20 minutes" thing and they don't respond to the "DT took 100k and didn't play a note"criticisms.  I'd like to hear responses to THOSE things....

I hardly see how the latter part of that is a criticism in any way shape or form. It's simply a contractual stipulation carried out correctly, so I'm sorry if Dream Theater haven't apologized for standard business practices.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Tumdace

« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2012, 05:31:40 PM »
This whole thread sounds ridiculous.

China is such a sketchy place to do business (so much copyright infringement and bad business practices that the government will not enforce) that I really dont blame DT for cancelling.

If the promoter is given a deadline, he has to meet it. A deadline is a deadline. 20 minutes late is still late.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2012, 05:43:30 PM »
Qifei so sorry for what happened, I know just how you feel. I'm Egyptian and no bands ever came to play in my country so I spent most of my life and the peak of my musical fascination years in my late teens and twenties going to cover band concerts and seeing an international band -of which I'm a fan- live was a magical idea from a fairly tale. So if your scenario happened to me I'd be blinded with senseless anger and I actually applaud your calm frustration.
Please stick around, I promise you'll like it here and you'll discover so much great music and meet cool people on DTF.
Also we don't have any Chinese people here and we need one :D
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2012, 05:44:00 PM »
Not to mention I *highly* doubt that whatever the issue was could be solved in 20 minutes. That's just the promoters rant stating that.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2012, 06:01:33 PM »
Please stick around, I promise you'll like it here and you'll discover so much great music and meet cool people on DTF.
Also we don't have any Chinese people here and we need one :D

I will echo these statements.  Qifei... in all of this, I've been quite impressed with your maturity given the situation.  It would be easy for any to direct their anger and frustration directly at the band, while you come across directing it only at wanting to understand.  Please do hang around if you can.  You'll find this to be a fun place.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2012, 01:28:40 PM »
I for one am sad about this.  My wife being Chinese makes me hope they can perform and succeed in China.  Silly reason, I suppose, but true.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2012, 02:30:58 PM »
I'm Chinese and even though I was born and raised in the United States, I still care a lot about China, which is why it's so frustrating to watch them not getting their shit together and joining the modern world.  I know it's gotta be tough governing such a huge country with a huge population, but damn, I'm sure it's possible to do it better than they're doing it right now.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2012, 04:03:25 PM »
I'm Chinese and even though I was born and raised in the United States, I still care a lot about China, which is why it's so frustrating to watch them not getting their shit together and joining the modern world.  I know it's gotta be tough governing such a huge country with a huge population, but damn, I'm sure it's possible to do it better than they're doing it right now.

Part of the problem might be lack of funds, I hear they are still having a problem collecting tax revenue from the Taiwan province.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2012, 04:12:49 PM »
Yeah, the Taiwanese are a bunch of... people.  I'll just leave it at that.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2012, 04:17:13 PM »
Just curious, but Taiwan was founded by the people who were oppressed and kicked out of China, right?
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2012, 04:45:34 PM »
It's a bit more complicated than that.  In reality, no one knows what the fuck the deal is with Taiwan.  Or China, for that matter.

Even though Taiwan isn't physically part of China, it considers itself the "real" China, calls itself the Republic of China, and claims that the enormous country to the west (the one we in the west just call China) is under its domain.  Meanwhile, mainland China calls itself the People's Republic of China and considers Taiwan to be under its domain.  It's a bit like "I'm crushing your head" "No, I'm crushing your head!"

But that's the greatly simplified version.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2012, 05:26:28 PM »
It's a bit more complicated than that.  In reality, no one knows what the fuck the deal is with Taiwan.  Or China, for that matter.

Even though Taiwan isn't physically part of China, it considers itself the "real" China, calls itself the Republic of China, and claims that the enormous country to the west (the one we in the west just call China) is under its domain.  Meanwhile, mainland China calls itself the People's Republic of China and considers Taiwan to be under its domain.  It's a bit like "I'm crushing your head" "No, I'm crushing your head!"

But that's the greatly simplified version.
It's essentially a huge pissing match, except Taiwan needs a lot of back-up if China decides to play.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2012, 08:13:32 PM »
Just curious, but Taiwan was founded by the people who were oppressed and kicked out of China, right?
The short answer is that Taiwan is the WWII government that was part of the Allies.  They're the remnants of the civil war that brought Communism to power.  Since they essentially succeeded the last emperor they still claim all old Chinese territory, including Mongolia.

Offline jokenheart

« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2012, 12:11:15 AM »
DT today does not belong to us ... 

« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 03:07:23 AM by jokenheart »

Offline tumbok

« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2012, 12:47:11 AM »
i have to say that i am really sad for China fans.

here in Indonesia we also had this cancellation experience back in 2006, and the promoter also made a "hatred" open letter to all DT fans in Indonesia, and to the band leader at that time, MP.

it was not easy for me and the fans to determine which side was right and wrong. but in the end, the love for the music beats anything else.

we just want to hear DT's music no matter what the band and promoter problems were.

Indonesian Dream Theater Fan Club never gave up the hope and kept doing DT Tribute night consistently over the years, and promoting the love for DT.

it was very sad also that our efforts paid off only a year after MP left.

it was other promoter that brought DT last April, with a very huge publication via national televisions and more than 200 billboards around Jakarta.

i believe DT fans in China will forget evetything thay matters now and DT will play again there. and i hope it will not after JP leaves the band.  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 12:55:57 AM by tumbok »