Author Topic: DTF Official Newb Welcome Thread v. 2.0 (Introduce yourself here!)  (Read 399310 times)

Offline XianL

• DTF.org Member
Re: DTF Official Newb Welcome Thread v. 2.0 (Introduce yourself here!)
« Reply #1050 on: July 03, 2011, 11:44:15 PM »
Maybe when I go back to Italy :P

For now...pass the CanadianBacon.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1051 on: July 03, 2011, 11:47:09 PM »
Maybe when I go back to Italy :P

For now...pass the CanadianBacon.
:facepalm:

Offline XianL

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1052 on: July 03, 2011, 11:50:18 PM »
What? Gotta support my heritage.

Actually, had some peppercorn thick cut regular bacon while camping the other week, good stuff. Turkey Bacon is simply inferior.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member

Offline Shahar

« Reply #1054 on: July 05, 2011, 02:42:19 PM »
Hey everyone, my name is Shahar and I'm from Israel. Dream Theater is my favorite band, and I play keyboards and guitar.
I hope to have fun here! :)

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #1055 on: July 05, 2011, 02:55:25 PM »
There is a lot of fun here ;) Welcome!!!!

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1056 on: July 05, 2011, 04:24:57 PM »
Hey everyone, my name is Shahar and I'm from Israel. Dream Theater is my favorite band, and I play keyboards and guitar.
I hope to have fun here! :)

*waits for Super Dude to give a super jew welcome*

Offline Govt_Property

« Reply #1057 on: July 07, 2011, 11:37:53 AM »
Consider me checked in.

Offline TheSilentHam

• Bringin' da bacon
« Reply #1058 on: July 15, 2011, 10:30:48 PM »
Hi, I'm Marc.  Joined DTF April 2011 and lurked since October (I wonder why?), but I just neglected to post here in newb world.  I live in US-Florida.

Have been a DT fan since 2003....bummed that I hadn't heard of them before that (was busy starting a family instead of exploring new music).  A buddy gave me Awake (he decided he didn't like prog anything, but knew I would like it).  After listening, immediately looked for tour news and found out they had been in town just a week before  :( .  

Musical Tastes: I really like all types of music, but I seem to gravitate towards prog rock, prog metal, metal, jazz fusion and classical.
Fav. Bands: DT, Rush, Maiden, Yes,...and then Genesis, Metallica, Foo Fighters, Floyd, Porcupine Tree, Phish, Queen, Queensryche, Journey, Spyro Gyra, Steely Dan...and ZZ Top.

Hobbies: Drums & Perc., Basketball, Roller Coasters, Movies, Gaming, Fantasy Sports, watching Hockey, American Football and Baseball.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #1059 on: July 16, 2011, 02:56:42 AM »
Well, being a milkshake and such, I shoot you an "Ice to meet you!", Silent Ham.

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1060 on: July 16, 2011, 11:30:09 AM »
Figured I'd add some chicken pot pie to this buffet.

Welcome to the boards!

Offline TheSilentHam

• Bringin' da bacon
« Reply #1061 on: July 16, 2011, 12:05:59 PM »
Well, being a milkshake and such, I shoot you an "Ice to meet you!", Silent Ham.

Figured I'd add some chicken pot pie to this buffet.

Welcome to the boards!

Thank you both....and now I'm hungry!

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1062 on: July 16, 2011, 12:59:41 PM »
I see the 3 primary food groups are accurately represented in this thread: milkshakes, chicken pot pie, and ham. I think this was meant to be.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1063 on: July 16, 2011, 01:02:00 PM »
I see the 3 primary food groups are accurately represented in this thread: milkshakes, chicken pot pie, and ham. I think this was meant to be.

I :rollin ed soo hard to that you don't even know...
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline DejaVu

• "Don't be frightened of the shadows it creates"
« Reply #1064 on: July 17, 2011, 01:05:11 PM »
Hi my name is Chris, I'm 18, I've been logged in for a total of 1 day and 6 minutes, I'm from Middle Earth Midlands in England.

I'm also a vocalist in my own Progressive Metal band 'Eyes Of Existence', who are heavily influenced by Dream Theater believe it or not, they're my favourite band alongside Coheed and Cambria (although I prefer DT, C&C I've grew up with).

Been a fan of DT since around 2005 when I discovered Octavarium, but my favourite album is SFAM which I bought shortly after. Favourite DT song? There's more than a few there. Maybe The Great Debate or Metropolis Pt. 1 or something like that.

Nice to be part of such a great site, hope I fit in. :D

Chris.

Offline Var

• Gravity Well
« Reply #1065 on: July 19, 2011, 08:16:45 PM »
Hey.  My real name is Alex, but you can call me Var.  I don't really care; whatever works.

I honestly am not the type that listens to metal, but after being showed to Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence and Octavarium, I've really appreciated Dream Theater as a band.  I normally listen to music for its notes and not for its words, but I was amazed to see that some of DT's songs have blown both parts away.  The amount of effort that they put into their songs really is amazing.

You'll often see me use selectively British spellings for things, but don't be fooled; I am American.  I'm also the kind of person that works with computers often.  I'm not the kind of person that you'd expect on a forum about a metal band, but I'm sure that I'll still fit in. :P

Anyway, I don't know how active that I'll be, but I'll probably stick around.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1066 on: July 19, 2011, 09:55:59 PM »
Welcome to both of ye.

Offline Horatio

• Yeaaahhhhhhh?
« Reply #1067 on: July 22, 2011, 08:48:18 PM »
As you begin to read this post, you might notice that my username is "Horatio" and my avatar is an animated GIF image of David Caruso walking slowly away from a greenscreen showing an exploding car, while putting on his sunglasses and activating slow-mo editing. You may think these two facts are just coincidences, perhaps a small joke played on this forum by the Illuminati while they plotted their continued monarchy over the world from the cyborg Nazi base on the moon (which Michael Bay tried to warn us about in the newest Transformers movie, but he failed and everyone thought the movie was just about a bunch of scrap metal robots pounding each other (no sexual innuendo intended)), but this would be wrong.

The real reason is that exploding cars (even faked exploding cars) and sunglasses are both fucking cool. What does this have to do with myself or Dream Theater, you ask? Well, Dream Theater is also fucking cool. Likewise, I am also fucking cool right now because it's summer, and the AC is on. Does Dream Theater record songs with maximum AC on to make them sound so cool? Someone should ask them that in an interview or something.

Anyway, my real name is Sri and I got invited here by a friend (Heretic). He was the guy who introduced me to DT (and a bunch of other bands as well, including Fair to Midland and Avenged Sevenfold, which also own as well). 5 favorite DT songs in no particular order: Learning to Live, Octavarium, Never Enough, Another Day, The Spirit Carries On. Still haven't listened to their entire library yet so don't expect that list to not change or anything.

Don't play any instruments or anything, though occasionally I dick around with MIDIs and software synths (lol). I do play a lot of videogames, though! They're probably some of the funnest things to play around!

So yeah. I'll be sticking around here, and hopefully fitting in and enjoying some fun times on this forum. :D

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #1068 on: July 22, 2011, 08:52:04 PM »
We're very happy to have a new convert.  If you enjoy non-DT prog metal, 70s rock, or post-1990 alt-rock, you'll fit right in here.  (Also, synthesizers are fucking awesome.  Almost as awesome as drums.)

Anyways, make yourself at home, and if you don't have a girlfriend, feel free to bitch about it at the Lonely Hearts' Club. 

Thank you for joining!   :biggrin:

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #1069 on: July 22, 2011, 10:10:03 PM »
The real reason is that exploding cars (even faked exploding cars) and sunglasses are both fucking cool.

Cool Guys Don't Look At Explosions

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1070 on: July 22, 2011, 10:13:04 PM »
The real reason is that exploding cars (even faked exploding cars) and sunglasses are both fucking cool.

Something we should all aspire to. It should be the forum anthem.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #1071 on: July 22, 2011, 10:18:57 PM »
Looking at explosions should be a ban-worthy offense.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #1072 on: July 22, 2011, 10:20:31 PM »

The more you ignore it, the more indie you look.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1073 on: July 22, 2011, 10:23:05 PM »

It's a lot like not looking into the camera when you take a picture of yourself. It's like, sure, you can look directly into it, but what's the point?

It already is, right next to having a girlfriend, going out with friends, and being active on the forum for less than 12 hours a day.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #1074 on: July 22, 2011, 11:00:16 PM »

It's a lot like not looking into the camera when you take a picture of yourself. It's like, sure, you can look directly into it, but what's the point?

It already is, right next to having a girlfriend, going out with friends, and being active on the forum for less than 12 hours a day.

Well, it looks like I'll never be ban-able, then.   :lol

Though I do like giving the camera eye the occasional straight stare.  It helps bring out meh rape face. 

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1075 on: July 22, 2011, 11:24:30 PM »
Welcome my son... welcome to the machine!

welcome horatio!

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1076 on: July 28, 2011, 11:54:16 PM »
Oh hey, I guess I never introduced myself.  A friend pointed this way and I'm really liking it here.  Listen to a lot of music, Metal being my primary, but I'm pretty much open to any genre as long as I find what I'm hearing good.  I've got a soft spot for Lady Gaga, so thats testament enough..  Anywho, looking forward to being here!

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1077 on: August 01, 2011, 04:44:38 AM »
I've got a soft spot for Lady Gaga

Mortal Enemies we are. Prepare to do battle to the death.

JK :neverusethis:

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Cable

« Reply #1078 on: August 04, 2011, 06:55:54 PM »
Hey all,

I am a rather long time lurker and poster at MPforum, and long time lurker rare time poster at JPforum.

Since the split with MP, I have been wandering around here more. And since Kyo's interview with JLB, and the crap storm that has been swirling around MP since, I decided enough is a enough with his forum. Granted, I already kind of sided with DT more, but the childish veiled insults from MP recently was the tipping point. And really, the policing at that forum gets a little too silly. I recall the thread about the interview, and the poster was completely respectful. Yet the people there slung mud.

Any way, that said, this looks like a solid place, glad I could come on board!
---

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #1079 on: August 04, 2011, 07:02:13 PM »
Hello, new brovinsky!  ^^  We are always happy to have a new convert; please proceed to General Discussion and Music; that's where all the action's at.

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1080 on: August 04, 2011, 09:24:32 PM »
Welcome aboard you scally wag  :yarr

Offline Liberation

« Reply #1081 on: August 05, 2011, 12:54:10 PM »
Hello,

well, er... I'm pretty bad at talking about myself or worse, introducing myself so... just wanted to welcome everyone :) I've been listening to DT for 5 and half a year now (started with borrowing Octavarium and realising my life will never be the same anymore) and seen them live four times. Though there are several other bands I'm borderline obsessed with and I don't always listen mainly to DT, they've remained my favourite band for a lot of different reasons, and after a brief period of uncertainty after a certain event last autumn, I've no doubts it won't change after the last concert. ;)

The "other" aforementioned bands I love are Riverside, Katatonia (actually, my nickname is inspired by one of their song titles), Porcupine Tree, Pain of Salvation, Opeth, Anathema, The Pineapple Thief, and also a lot of other bands I really like but won't list them now to avoid an uber-long post. I listen mostly to rock and metal (progressive being my favourite), but am fairly open-minded to other stuff as well.

What else... well, I'm a boring person so... I don't know... other than listening to music, I'm also kinda a gamer (for over a year now League of Legends reigns on my PC, but overall I'm mostly a strategy and FPS fan) and like reading, especially crime novels. The only TV series I regularily watch is a British "police procedural" (this sounds ominous but it's really interesting) called Waking the Dead. I've also wanted to play the guitar for like 5 years now but still haven't got myself to actually start doing it...

I think that's all I can say... :)
L.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1082 on: August 15, 2011, 12:24:42 PM »
Welcome young forum members and old.

watch out for

:spider:
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1083 on: August 15, 2011, 05:17:48 PM »
Welcome all new people!  ;)

Offline Unfed Pendulum

• Feed me.
« Reply #1084 on: August 30, 2011, 01:14:21 PM »
Hi.

I was introduced to this forum by a friend of mine.
I would like to join the community of DT fans because this band is a cornerstone in my musical taste history.
Without DT I'd listen same regular bands as most of metalheads do.
Having my taste reversed to progressive music opened my mind for vast seas of unique bands and
gave me the opportunity to discover avant-garde music and other innovative metal genres.

What is more, DT influenced on my musical skills. I'm a bassist, a novice drummer and pretty amateur composer.
If I hadn't known them, I wouldn't seek for things in music that I love now.
Actually, I look for the unexpected.
I like my music to surprise me everytime when listening to it, letting me to discover it layer after layer, deeper and deeper.
That's what DT does, that's what some other bands I listen do,
and I hope that there is twice as much bands who would affect me aswell If I knew them.
That's why I'm here - to share my musical taste and be influenced by you all.

That sounds serious, too serious, well... have I passed the rite of passage ? :D
"Where imagination is a relentless ticking machine on a losing streak."