Author Topic: DTF Official Newb Welcome Thread v. 2.0 (Introduce yourself here!)  (Read 399666 times)

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
Re: DTF Official Newb Welcome Thread v. 2.0 (Introduce yourself here!)
« Reply #980 on: April 27, 2011, 02:31:06 AM »
Well, greetings!  I'm a typical high school band geek.  I play drumset and bass, and am currentlylearning xylophone/vibraphone.  I've just finished a season of marching band and drumline, back to back, this school year, though it's my last.  ( I can't march/it took up education/music I actually care about time)  I'm a total geek for 80s metal, prog rock, and any music involving kickass bass and drums.  Needless to say, after finding DT these last few months, I' ve been hooked.  My favorite albums by our favorite ensemble are Awake, FII, IaW, 8V, and SC, in no specific order.  I'm very glad to be accepted into this forum dedicated to such a wonderful band! 

Offline The Degenerate

• The Knight of Noir
« Reply #981 on: April 27, 2011, 03:26:07 AM »
Well, greetings!  I'm a typical high school band geek.  I play drumset and bass, and am currentlylearning xylophone/vibraphone.  I've just finished a season of marching band and drumline, back to back, this school year, though it's my last.  ( I can't march/it took up education/music I actually care about time)  I'm a total geek for 80s metal, prog rock, and any music involving kickass bass and drums.  Needless to say, after finding DT these last few months, I' ve been hooked.  My favorite albums by our favorite ensemble are Awake, FII, IaW, 8V, and SC, in no specific order.  I'm very glad to be accepted into this forum dedicated to such a wonderful band! 

Can... can I touch you?
"Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you." ~ Tyrion Lannister

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #982 on: April 28, 2011, 10:47:30 AM »
In light of the recent (massive) influx of new members as we near the official announcement of the new drummer, I just thought I'd make my first contribution to this thread in ages.  Welcome new members, to DTF!  Enjoy your stay. :)

And Kevin Moore, if you're reading this, please join us.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #983 on: April 28, 2011, 11:25:18 AM »
Welcome new members, to DTF!  Enjoy your stay. :)

And Kevin Moore, if you're reading this, please join us.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #985 on: April 29, 2011, 02:28:51 AM »
Well, hello!

I've been a long-time lurker and have been reading around here for more than a year by now. I finally decided it'd be time to start posting as well, so here I am. I'm from Leipzig, Germany, 24 years old, going to college at the moment and, well, here I am. Looking forward to interact with you guys.

Awesome username, though it's not many on this forum that would recognize it. :P

Offline RG93

• DTF Lurker
« Reply #986 on: May 03, 2011, 10:04:15 AM »
I've been a member for 11 months now, but I just realized I didn't make a proper first post  :facepalm:
This will have to do instead.

Hello all, I'm just another dude who loves DT, especially the more progressive side. (Favourite album is Awake)
I noticed quite a few people good at maths, so I hope I'll fit in  :P
I forgot I even had this account, so what the heck

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #987 on: May 03, 2011, 10:05:21 AM »

What do you mean by fit in? Are you good at math?

Offline RG93

• DTF Lurker
« Reply #988 on: May 03, 2011, 10:07:25 AM »

What do you mean by fit in? Are you good at math?
Yeah, I've been told I'm quite good at it. Doing Further Maths in my A Levels now.
I forgot I even had this account, so what the heck

Offline alirocker08

• Apparently not a hobbit
  • 'Sup, I'm a very short elf
« Reply #989 on: May 03, 2011, 02:40:01 PM »
Oh hey there! Shows how observant I am, I notice the Newb thread only after I play around in the DT topics and some of the general topics. Shuddup I'm stupid Ok!

So, introductions, introductions...My name is Alice, I live in England, and I'm a friend of jonny108's or whatever the hell his username is on here >.< I'm sixteen, and currently bracing myself for my GCSE exams. In fact, I'm writing this on my revision break, just done a Chemistry paper. Grrr. Next year (at the end of compulsory education!) I'm studying English Language, English Literature, History and Theater in Sixth Form, and one day I hope to be an actress. I know, I know, I'm not going to make it, but a girl can dream can't she? I also really enjoy writing. This year I wrote a play inspired by SDOIT for a playwriting competition and I came in second place- One vote away from first! Umm, what else, what else...?

I'm abnormally short. Seriously. 16 year old girl's should not be struggling to reach 5'4". Mum is convinced that it's because I'm malnourished, I'm convinced that I am destined to be a hobbit. Not that I mind, hobbits are bad ass. Apart from Sam. Merry and Pippin though? Coolest. Hobbits. Evar.

Anyway, I've gone off on a tangent again. Blargh v.v I signed up here ages ago...It's just a matter of me not logging on. Ever. Whoopsie daisy.

I've already had plenty of welcomes from the Picture Post thread, and I hope to establish my presence in this forum after the exams are finished.

Anyway, I've rambled on long enough, bye!
ITT: We discover that Alice is elvish...
Psshh, your status as a hobbit has just been a cover. Your cover has been blown.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #990 on: May 03, 2011, 02:45:13 PM »
5'4" is not that short!
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.

Offline alirocker08

« Reply #992 on: May 03, 2011, 02:47:58 PM »
It is when all of your friends are giants v.v I'm one of the shortest people in my year. Plus, Mum, Dad, my friends, my boyfriend, even my teachers love to bring up how short I am. So yes, 5'4" is rather short where I come from. Sad face :(
Psshh, your status as a hobbit has just been a cover. Your cover has been blown.

Offline jsem

« Reply #993 on: May 03, 2011, 02:49:45 PM »
Oh hey there! Shows how observant I am, I notice the Newb thread only after I play around in the DT topics and some of the general topics. Shuddup I'm stupid Ok!

So, introductions, introductions...My name is Alice, I live in England, and I'm a friend of jonny108's or whatever the hell his username is on here >.< I'm sixteen, and currently bracing myself for my GCSE exams. In fact, I'm writing this on my revision break, just done a Chemistry paper. Grrr. Next year (at the end of compulsory education!) I'm studying English Language, English Literature, History and Theater in Sixth Form, and one day I hope to be an actress. I know, I know, I'm not going to make it, but a girl can dream can't she? I also really enjoy writing. This year I wrote a play inspired by SDOIT for a playwriting competition and I came in second place- One vote away from first! Umm, what else, what else...?

I'm abnormally short. Seriously. 16 year old girl's should not be struggling to reach 5'4". Mum is convinced that it's because I'm malnourished, I'm convinced that I am destined to be a hobbit. Not that I mind, hobbits are bad ass. Apart from Sam. Merry and Pippin though? Coolest. Hobbits. Evar.

Anyway, I've gone off on a tangent again. Blargh v.v I signed up here ages ago...It's just a matter of me not logging on. Ever. Whoopsie daisy.

I've already had plenty of welcomes from the Picture Post thread, and I hope to establish my presence in this forum after the exams are finished.

Anyway, I've rambled on long enough, bye!
Welcome!

Offline alirocker08

« Reply #994 on: May 03, 2011, 02:51:08 PM »
Thank you!

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #995 on: May 03, 2011, 02:51:35 PM »
I'm 4'11, you're not short.

Offline alirocker08

« Reply #996 on: May 03, 2011, 02:53:14 PM »
Seriously? You get rained on last then ^^

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #997 on: May 03, 2011, 02:55:34 PM »
Yeah seriously, how can you think that 5'4" is abnormally short? Average for girls is only something like 5'6" or 5'7". You sound very much normal height to me!

And welcome again, even though I already said it in the picture thread! :D

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline alirocker08

« Reply #998 on: May 03, 2011, 02:58:22 PM »
I shall reiterate the fact that I live in an area of abnormal tallness :') There are 11 and 12 year olds taller than me in school, a lot of them!

And I thank you again!

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #999 on: May 03, 2011, 03:04:25 PM »
Welcome  :D
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1000 on: May 03, 2011, 03:32:03 PM »
There are 11 and 12 year olds taller than me in school, a lot of them!

Then content yourself with the fact that you are a normal person surrounded by FREAKS! ;)

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #1001 on: May 03, 2011, 06:38:07 PM »
I'm one of the shortest people in my year.
I'm impressed that you know everyone born in the same year as you.  You must have a lot of Facebook friends.
:neverusethis:

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1002 on: May 03, 2011, 08:16:12 PM »
oh hai new female member :D

Offline alirocker08

« Reply #1003 on: May 04, 2011, 11:14:54 AM »
Then content yourself with the fact that you are a normal person surrounded by FREAKS! ;)
But when everyone's a freak, doesn't that make them...normal? Thus making me the freak? XP
I'm impressed that you know everyone born in the same year as you.  You must have a lot of Facebook friends.
:neverusethis:
Haha :') Yeah bbz. ma frendz list is ttly maxed out liek omg haha xxxxx
Don't make me type like that again, it burns!
oh hai new female member :D
Oh hai thar, another welcome ^^

Offline Frank

« Reply #1004 on: May 05, 2011, 10:12:31 AM »
Normalcy can be defined by what is most prominent in a population. In this case, you would be a "freak" within your own immediate area, but in terms of humanity, you would be "normal". It depends on what domain of the population you want to focus on, just as words like "big" and "small" depends on what your internal reference is.

Hello, everybody! My name is Frank. I registered this account two years ago but actually decided to start using it now! I don't have too much to say, really. I'm finishing my freshman year of college now and I'm probably going to end up being a linguistics major with a focus on cognitive science and neuroscience. I love languages, and I'm learning Japanese currently. I also love writing and video games and video production.

I am practically deaf, with very little hearing in one ear. I do enjoy, however, playing instruments like the cello, guitar, and piano. I also am aspiring to develop a singing technique. Given that I'm here, you could probably gauge that I love progressive music and particularly Dream Theater. ;)
Ahh, I hit the home button!
- Jordan Rudess

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #1005 on: May 05, 2011, 10:45:08 AM »
Hi Frank, respect in all for you. Your music talents should be developing in all time.  :tup

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1006 on: May 05, 2011, 07:43:13 PM »
Normalcy can be defined by what is most prominent in a population. In this case, you would be a "freak" within your own immediate area, but in terms of humanity, you would be "normal". It depends on what domain of the population you want to focus on, just as words like "big" and "small" depends on what your internal reference is.

Hello, everybody! My name is Frank. I registered this account two years ago but actually decided to start using it now! I don't have too much to say, really. I'm finishing my freshman year of college now and I'm probably going to end up being a linguistics major with a focus on cognitive science and neuroscience. I love languages, and I'm learning Japanese currently. I also love writing and video games and video production.

I am practically deaf, with very little hearing in one ear. I do enjoy, however, playing instruments like the cello, guitar, and piano. I also am aspiring to develop a singing technique. Given that I'm here, you could probably gauge that I love progressive music and particularly Dream Theater. ;)

Welcome!  You seem to be an intelligent and well-spoken poster, so please don't fade into obscurity like the vast majority of people that post in the welcome thread.

Offline Nefyn

• M-Dave
« Reply #1007 on: May 06, 2011, 03:12:41 PM »
Hey DTF, I've posted a few times and I've lurked quite a lot but I haven't properly introduced myself really.
Anyway, I'm Matt and I'm from North Wales (My username is my middle name but also a village on the west coast of Wales). I'm 17, (18 in september) and I'm currently in college studying math, further math, chemistry, physics and computer programming.
Dream Theater are my favourite band and have been for over 2 years now. Thanks to this site I have expanded my musical tastes to that of Queesnryche, Chroma Key and Opeth, so thanks for that DTF.
You all seem like incredibly nice people and it will be a pleasure to post with you all.  :smiley:

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #1008 on: May 07, 2011, 07:39:40 PM »
Well welcome ;) Thank you for those nice words, it will be also pleasure to posting with you ;)

Offline MajorMatt

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1009 on: May 08, 2011, 04:41:58 PM »
Welcome to all! Nice to see some more Brits around here too :P

Hey DTF, I've posted a few times and I've lurked quite a lot but I haven't properly introduced myself really.
Anyway, I'm Matt and I'm from North Wales (My username is my middle name but also a village on the west coast of Wales). I'm 17, (18 in september) and I'm currently in college studying math, further math, chemistry, physics and computer programming.
Dream Theater are my favourite band and have been for over 2 years now. Thanks to this site I have expanded my musical tastes to that of Queesnryche, Chroma Key and Opeth, so thanks for that DTF.
You all seem like incredibly nice people and it will be a pleasure to post with you all.  :smiley:

Seems we already have somethings in common, I'm Matt, 17, studying Maths, Physics, Computer Science & Chemistry Engineering.  ;D

Welcome!  You seem to be an intelligent and well-spoken poster, so please don't fade into obscurity like the vast majority of people that post in the welcome thread.

Also, This.  :tup

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1010 on: May 09, 2011, 04:35:51 PM »
Welcome Nefyn!

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #1011 on: May 09, 2011, 04:39:14 PM »
EDIT

sorry, wrong thread.
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline Nefyn

• M-Dave
« Reply #1012 on: May 10, 2011, 12:25:04 PM »
Seems we already have somethings in common, I'm Matt, 17, studying Maths, Physics, Computer Science & Chemistry Engineering.  ;D

You sound pretty awesome to be honest. Nice to meet a guy so similar.
Also, I had to spend 10 minutes to figure out how to properly quote  :facepalm:

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1013 on: May 10, 2011, 12:30:37 PM »
Oh thata's just dandy, another Brit.  Oh well, welcome Nefyn, have some bacon.... :godisgood:

Offline Revel

• The Prancing Philosopher
  • Not this day, just a hop and a skip and a 1, 2, 3
« Reply #1014 on: June 04, 2011, 12:48:26 PM »
Hey all, finally found a good prog forum and stuff :D
  I'm Revel and such... was introduced to Dream Theater a few months ago by a very good friend of mine and got hooked the first time I heard Octavarium..  Since said moment I've been collecting all kinds of music and such, a good amount of which I see threads about here and the rest I plan on posting and stuff :D
Sooooo.
I'll try to de-noob pretty quickly, but this forums a bit off from what I'm used to; no shoutbox.
Errr
I live in the mountains, a quiet, secluded ski town, smoke like a maniac, play instruments ( piano, accordion, drums and self-taught guitar )
What I'm looking to do here is touch up on my -very- little knowledge of prog history, bands, styles, and even some musical theory would be cool :D
\"Oh bliss! Bliss and heaven! Oh, it was gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh. It was like a bird of rarest-spun heaven metal or like silvery wine flowing in a spaceship, gravity all nonsense now. As I slooshied, I knew such lovely pictures!\"