Author Topic: DTF Official Newb Welcome Thread v. 2.0 (Introduce yourself here!)  (Read 399332 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: DTF Official Newb Welcome Thread v. 2.0 (Introduce yourself here!)
« Reply #2205 on: October 13, 2021, 08:20:56 AM »
That doesn't help.

Is that a TV show?
That's Gandalf and Frodo from The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring.

Jesus Christ.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2206 on: October 13, 2021, 08:22:31 AM »
Thanks, Jesus!

Cool, never seen it.

Which one is which? ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2207 on: October 13, 2021, 08:24:18 AM »

Frodo is on the left, and Gandalf is on the right.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2208 on: October 13, 2021, 08:25:29 AM »

Frodo is on the left, and Gandalf is on the right.

That's Ernie and Bert, fool.

Geez, some people are so dumb.  ::)
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline svisser

• Pineapple. I like to eat it.
« Reply #2209 on: November 05, 2021, 08:35:01 PM »
Hello folks!

I guess I am still new enough to do this. Only been around for a week or so.

My name is Steve Visser. I am 32 and am from the Fraser Valley area outside of Vancouver. Lived here my whole life and plan on moving away after I am done my BA. I am going to UFV for English and theatre. After that I will either get my education degree, my tesl and travel, or make a shot at grad school. I am mostly interested in the Victorian and American Modernist periods of literature.

I am a musician. I was going to study music as a drummer, but I got tendinitis in my early 20s. I got into literature at this point as the creative aspect interested me the most. Now I am more into the theory of writing. I can't play the drums anymore but I love playing the guitar. Just picked up a Godin radium a few months ago and loving it!
She can turn a drop of water
         Into an ocean
                                           In the room the women come and go
                                                 Talking of Michelangelo.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2210 on: November 05, 2021, 08:40:56 PM »
Hey Steve, have enjoyed your posts. Welcome to DTF. I'm Tim from Boston, 20 years older.

Sorry about 2011. ;D

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2211 on: November 05, 2021, 09:25:21 PM »
Welcome! Assuming you meant Vancouver BC, I am a couple hours south of you, and 13 years north of you.

What did Ernie say when his friend asked him if he wanted some ice cream?
"Sherbert."
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2212 on: November 11, 2021, 11:00:33 AM »
Hi wizard, and welcome  :laugh:

Offline MrMike

« Reply #2213 on: November 11, 2021, 09:33:30 PM »
Hello DT Forum!  My name is Mike and I live in Austin, Texas.  I did a brief intro in my first post, but here's the official one.

I work as a software developer, so naturally I'm a nerd who loves Rush!  I always gravitated towards classic hard rock and metal (Sabbath/Purple/Priest/Maiden), but recently I've been wading into more progressive waters.

I always appreciated Dream Theater's talent from afar and did see them live in 2002 (co-headlining with Joe Satriani).  I never quite "got" them enough to start collecting their music though until this year.

When I heard they'd be coming to my favorite venue in Austin in December (pre postponement), I got tickets immediately when they went on sale.  Deciding I should become more familiar with the catalog, I purchased Live At Luna Park, which turned out to be a great entry point.  That inspired me to pick up the 10 disc collection (I&M through ADTOE) from Amazon and it has been amazing going through all that music.  Since then, I've also gotten AVFTTOTW, Change Of Seasons and a couple other live releases.  Over the past few months, DT has been my most listened to band by far.  I finally "got" it!

Happy to find this cool site with great discussions about the band!

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2214 on: November 12, 2021, 05:32:52 AM »
Happy to have you.  Here's some bacon

:godisgood:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2215 on: November 12, 2021, 06:30:56 AM »
Feel honored. Chad doesn't just give out bacon to anyone.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2216 on: November 12, 2021, 06:57:05 AM »
Welcome!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2217 on: November 12, 2021, 07:10:36 AM »
Let's do some talking about music then!  Welcome!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2218 on: November 12, 2021, 03:02:30 PM »
Hello DT Forum!  My name is Mike and I live in Austin, Texas.  I did a brief intro in my first post, but here's the official one.

Welcome!

The TACs are going to Austin this winter!

Offline Corlis

« Reply #2219 on: December 17, 2021, 04:42:25 PM »
Hey DTF.

I'm a mid-30's guy from Canada who loves metal.

I checked out lots of music forums and decided to sign up here. It's active and looks to have a nice 50/50 split between music discussion and everthing else: basically how my life is divied up. I write & play music.

Plus I figure people who are into a techy/prog band like DT probably know what they're talking about slightly more than the average joe when it comes to music overall.

Fav DT albums: Images and Words (a top-10 all time for me), Awake, Train of Thought.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2220 on: December 17, 2021, 05:01:45 PM »
Welcome!  Have some bacon

Fellow Canucklehead here.

Music discussion forums are a dying breed for sure, but this is a great community. Many of us have been here for 10+ years.  Stick around.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Corlis

« Reply #2221 on: December 17, 2021, 06:06:28 PM »
Welcome!  Have some bacon

Fellow Canucklehead here.

Music discussion forums are a dying breed for sure, but this is a great community. Many of us have been here for 10+ years.  Stick around.

Thanks jingle.boy. I appreciate the welcome bacon!

Offline Spider In The Sky

« Reply #2222 on: April 14, 2022, 07:14:35 PM »
Hello!

I made an account here about a month ago after I finally got to see Dream Theater live for the first time, although I'm just now making my first post.  I realized around that gig that DT are really truly one of my all time favorite bands, and I figured it would be great to learn and discuss more about them from other big fans, so that's why I'm here!  So I guess I'll be off to the regular forums now, nice introducing myself!

:)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2223 on: April 14, 2022, 07:19:56 PM »
Welcome to DTF! Don't be afraid to jump right in!

Where did you see DT, and have you been a fan for long?

« Reply #2224 on: April 14, 2022, 07:47:41 PM »
Welcome to DTF! Don't be afraid to jump right in!

Where did you see DT, and have you been a fan for long?

Thanks!

I saw them in DC, at the Warner Theater.  I managed to get a seat that couldn't have been more than 10 feet away from JP, which had me very excited!  Less than exciting was the sound was all muddy in that particular location, so I had a hard time hearing what I was seeing right in front of me, but it was still fantastic.

I first heard about DT I think reading online about bands similar to my other favorites back in 2012/2013 or so.  I wound up hearing ADTOE and I&W not too long after that, which blew my mind at the time. I'm wouldn't say I immediately became a massive fan, it was more of a gradual, slightly up and down, realization that I would always come back to this band and this beautiful music unlike anything else out there and still so deeply moving. I had a big leap back towards fandom in 2017 or so when I rediscovered Octavarium (the song) and it inspired me to get another album to try from them, which wound up being Awake, which wound up becoming my favorite!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2225 on: April 15, 2022, 11:24:17 AM »
Welcome Spider! Glad you enjoyed the show this tour

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2226 on: April 15, 2022, 09:21:33 PM »
I love that, in 2022, this forum is still gaining new members.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

« Reply #2227 on: April 16, 2022, 09:14:06 AM »
Welcome Spider! Glad you enjoyed the show this tour

Thank you, me too!

Offline Animal

« Reply #2228 on: December 09, 2022, 12:55:22 AM »
Hi there,

I have been a member for about two months but didn't notice this section until recently. My real name is, unfortunately, not Animal but Jan and I am from Czechia. (Animal is a nickname I got when working in an Alaskan cannery back when I was a college student).

I am a freelance translator/editor and also an (amateur and not very active) musician - good but not great guitar player, semi-competent singer and just slightly-better-than-incompetent pianist. As such I always naturally gravitated toward prog and, in spite of being told by adults that metal was a horrible, unlistenable kind of music, I also came to like Metallica or Maiden at high school. When I learned about the existence of DT (I think it was back in 2004), it just seemed like a perfect combo of what I liked. And after hearing Scenes and Awake, I became a fan.

I had been reading on this forum for quite a long time before I became a member. I had never spent much time discussing stuff over Internet but always found some value in reading various discussions and this forum turned out to by my favorite - to the point that I decided to break from my habit of just reading and join.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 05:09:50 AM by Animal »

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2229 on: December 09, 2022, 04:44:49 AM »
Welcome.  Have some introductory bacon.

Offline Animal

« Reply #2230 on: December 09, 2022, 02:32:52 PM »
Welcome.  Have some introductory bacon.

Thanks. Appreciated. Haven't had bacon in months.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2231 on: December 14, 2022, 05:44:55 PM »
Welcome, from another Metallica/Maiden/DT fan

Offline Fonzie

« Reply #2232 on: January 09, 2023, 04:23:10 PM »
Fairly long-time fan. 20-odd years now.
Lurking here for years
My first album was FII which I thought was great. Followed by I&W, SFAM, and Awake.
Every new release since, and many of the LNF series.
Lazy though. Never joined the fan club. Never seen them live-opportunity always seems to elude me.

Big Zappa fan. Also Devin, and a lot of metal, Warrior Soul, Suicidal, Vai, Satch etcRecently got into the whole Steven Wilson thing. Loads of Jazz, modernist classical, punk, even some country

It’s great to read some good discussions on here. Currently enjoying the Metallica deep dive.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2233 on: January 09, 2023, 09:17:19 PM »
How did you get introduced to FII? What were you listening to at that time?

Offline Fonzie

« Reply #2234 on: January 10, 2023, 01:18:14 AM »
At the time, I was listening to a lot of Vai and Satch-completely guitar-obsessed. A mate told me about Petrucci (oh wow! Right?j and I just went to HMV and bought what they had. It just happened to be FII.
First impressions: I loved New Millennium straight off. I thought it had the essence of Tom Sawyer, but with better vocals! I really liked Petrucci’s playing. I was hooked.
I thought Trial of Tears was sublime, and really rated Sherinian’s sound. I still do.
Hollow Years and Anna Lee, and Just Let Me Breathe were duds though.

From there: I&W. What a great album. Glass Moon, that solo!
SFAM. Mostly great. Not big on the ballads and circus patch.
Awake.  I’ve always struggled with this one. I found aspects of it pretty tedious. My least favourite of the first five. Scarred is great though.
First disc of 6D. Awesome. TGD is top 5.

And so on…

Offline Ced156

« Reply #2235 on: March 10, 2023, 08:35:09 AM »
First post here after years of reading the forum, and previously I was a reader of the MP.com forum and the orignal forum (DT.net).

I'm from France, 45, fan of metal since 1992 and I've been introduced to DT and Queensr˙che on the same day, 1994 August 28, with Mindcrime and Live At The Marquee. It changed my life forever :).

For a few years, this forum was a source of prime information about Queensr˙che (thanks to Samsara, and I've bought a copy of his book about QR), but for the last 9 months, on a daily basis I followed the countdowns (Maiden, Rush, QR, FW, PT and Metallica), it was a lot of fun to read the comments and a lot of info about these bands discography (I knew and liked Rush, now I love them). So thanks a lot KevShmev :) If I don't post anymore, at least I've thanked some people who immensely deserve it.

On a musical side, I play bass guitar, on the Myung Yamaha signature model (the red one with the infinity sign) since 2003.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2236 on: March 10, 2023, 09:40:27 AM »
First post here after years of reading the forum, and previously I was a reader of the MP.com forum and the orignal forum (DT.net).

I'm from France, 45, fan of metal since 1992 and I've been introduced to DT and Queensr˙che on the same day, 1994 August 28, with Mindcrime and Live At The Marquee. It changed my life forever :).

For a few years, this forum was a source of prime information about Queensr˙che (thanks to Samsara, and I've bought a copy of his book about QR), but for the last 9 months, on a daily basis I followed the countdowns (Maiden, Rush, QR, FW, PT and Metallica), it was a lot of fun to read the comments and a lot of info about these bands discography (I knew and liked Rush, now I love them). So thanks a lot KevShmev :) If I don't post anymore, at least I've thanked some people who immensely deserve it.

On a musical side, I play bass guitar, on the Myung Yamaha signature model (the red one with the infinity sign) since 2003.
Welcome!

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2237 on: March 11, 2023, 06:06:40 AM »
Cool story. Welcome Ced156
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2238 on: March 13, 2023, 08:53:40 AM »
Hello!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2239 on: March 16, 2023, 07:07:39 AM »
Welcome!