Author Topic: DTF Official Newb Welcome Thread v. 2.0 (Introduce yourself here!)  (Read 399237 times)

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
Re: DTF Official Newb Welcome Thread v. 2.0 (Introduce yourself here!)
« Reply #315 on: October 14, 2009, 08:28:28 PM »
Finally, a newb who uses the newb thread! :laugh:

Welcome!  Enjoy your stay! :tup

So which of the albums do you have is your favorite?  Knowing that may help us guide you in the right direction for the older albums.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline XianL

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #316 on: October 14, 2009, 08:30:24 PM »
Super Dude, you're a goddamn ninja.

Welcome Julie, to DTF :tup

Beware of shirtless Zeltars, and the answer is Kevin Moore.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #317 on: October 14, 2009, 08:30:59 PM »
Welcome, Julie. You should definitely check out DT's older albums as soon as you can. They're all highly regarded. Enjoy your stay!

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #318 on: October 14, 2009, 08:31:36 PM »
Welcome, Julie. You should definitely check out DT's older albums as soon as you can. They're all highly regarded. Enjoy your stay!

Woooowwwwwwwww, I read that really wrong at first... :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #319 on: October 15, 2009, 09:12:34 PM »
Finally, a newb who uses the newb thread! :laugh:

Welcome!  Enjoy your stay! :tup

So which of the albums do you have is your favorite?  Knowing that may help us guide you in the right direction for the older albums.

I will list the collection in the order of most listened to....
1. Scenes from a Memory (I forgot I have that one)...I also have the DVD.
2. Train of Thought
3. Systematic Chaos (This was the first concert Aus. experienced)
4. Black Clouds & Silver Linings (Disc 1 Only so far)
5. Chaos in Motion
6. Greatest Hits
7. Octavarium
8. Images and Words
I also have the Score DVD and the Live at Bodukan DVD my next CD will be
six degrees of Inner Turbulence, right after I buy the new Vai DVD! :smiley:

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #320 on: October 15, 2009, 09:55:21 PM »
You've got a decent collection going already.  What do you mean disc 1 of BC&SL?  I mean, unless you're looking to get the limited edition material (which I don't think you can), you've got the whole album.

And which of these albums would you say you liked the most?  I know you probably love them all right now (:P), but try to pick a couple favorites and we'll try to point you in the right direction.

Offline chief red beard

• can't wait til my spaceship arrives from space
« Reply #321 on: October 16, 2009, 01:13:20 AM »
         Well I first registered Saturday but I have been on this whole week reading the threads and posting a couple of times. But the real reason why I joined was because I was staring my laptop most of the day not knowing what to go on until I decided to join a Forum and then why not joining a forum of my favorite band.
I'm happy that my father drilled in most of the music I listen to at a very young age I remember as a kid sitting in the car listening to Images and Words so that is where it all started. Ever since I have been with the band all these years but yet I have only gone to one concert the 20th Anniversary here in LA, I just graduated from HS so I guess I just need a job and wait till the earliest date for a concert comes in a ban wagon near me. I will admit I will post sometimes really weird posts as well coming from weird personally as well as never gone out of to the real world. hahah ahah

I listen to (other than DT) to Joe Satriani, Pink Floyd, Rush, some Spyro Gyra, Scorpions, some Savatage, some Megadeth, Boston, some Al di Meola, some Eric Johnson, recently some solo Michael Harris solo stuff, a lot of the John Williams composer to a lot of movies, same with Howard shore from LOTR, and I enjoy listening to all of those video game soundtracks like Halo, Gears, Mass Effect, and what not (yes I like a lot of Sci Fi games) but I never really got into listening to really screaming bands I just cant stand it it makes me feel angry which im not. haahha so this is pretty much the first time I have joined a forum in general so im not too used to all of those lingo words that I have no idea what they mean so please bare with me, so well I'm pretty sure I will stay for a long time now don't have any plans leaving or what not so until next time. (or post)
" I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow!!!!"

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #322 on: October 18, 2009, 07:55:46 PM »
You've got a decent collection going already.  What do you mean disc 1 of BC&SL?  I mean, unless you're looking to get the limited edition material (which I don't think you can), you've got the whole album.

And which of these albums would you say you liked the most?  I know you probably love them all right now (:P), but try to pick a couple favorites and we'll try to point you in the right direction.

All I mean by disc 1, is I haven't actually got to two or three. Not enough hours in the day!  :smiley:
Regarding faves at the moment I am listening to BC&SL a lot so that will be on top at the moment.
In the car is Systematic Chaos and Train of Thought. So I would say a mix of all three.  :smiley:
And remember I am female so this could change at anytime!  ;)

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #323 on: October 18, 2009, 08:01:38 PM »
You've got a decent collection going already.  What do you mean disc 1 of BC&SL?  I mean, unless you're looking to get the limited edition material (which I don't think you can), you've got the whole album.

And which of these albums would you say you liked the most?  I know you probably love them all right now (:P), but try to pick a couple favorites and we'll try to point you in the right direction.

All I mean by disc 1, is I haven't actually got to two or three. Not enough hours in the day!  :smiley:
Regarding faves at the moment I am listening to BC&SL a lot so that will be on top at the moment.
In the car is Systematic Chaos and Train of Thought. So I would say a mix of all three.  :smiley:
And remember I am female so this could change at anytime!  ;)

I still don't understand this.  There is only one disc for BC&SL, unless you have the limited edition.

And if you like the more metal stuff, the album to have is Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence.

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #324 on: October 18, 2009, 08:11:54 PM »
I still don't understand this.  There is only one disc for BC&SL, unless you have the limited edition.

My copy of BC&SL has three discs (in before the "including the John Myung yodeling solo at the end").  The first one is the album, the second is the cover songs, and the third is instrumental mixes.  But I just walked into Best Buy and picked it off the shelf.  It can't be that limited.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #325 on: October 18, 2009, 08:31:21 PM »

My copy of BC&SL has three discs (in before the "including the John Myung yodeling solo at the end").  The first one is the album, the second is the cover songs, and the third is instrumental mixes.  But I just walked into Best Buy and picked it off the shelf.  It can't be that limited.
Same.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #326 on: October 18, 2009, 08:34:06 PM »
The Best Buy near where my college is only has the three disc edition of the album. A lot of them.

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #327 on: October 19, 2009, 09:26:42 PM »

And if you like the more metal stuff, the album to have is Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence.
[/quote]

Yeah sorry I did buy the Limited Edition one. Of course I wanted a free ticket to the meet and greet! :smiley:

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #328 on: October 19, 2009, 11:05:33 PM »
welcome to all new newsb

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #329 on: October 21, 2009, 09:30:39 AM »
Hello Every body.

I am new here I like Dream Theater music.

>_>

<_<

*runs*

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #330 on: October 21, 2009, 09:31:36 AM »
GET OUT, 'GOON!!!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #331 on: October 21, 2009, 09:35:16 AM »
:( How'd you know it was me?

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #332 on: October 21, 2009, 09:37:12 AM »
I've got mind powers.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #333 on: October 21, 2009, 09:38:16 AM »
Shit. You win this time.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #334 on: October 21, 2009, 09:38:57 AM »
I guess you ran out of cake...

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #335 on: October 21, 2009, 09:39:35 AM »
That's usually the problem, yes.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #336 on: October 21, 2009, 09:40:46 AM »
I could give you some fruitcake...

:puke:

Offline Raccoon

• Turn on the Bright Lights
« Reply #337 on: October 22, 2009, 12:44:06 AM »
Ohai, I'm new obviously..... <.<

But yes, the name here is Raccoon, based on one of my favorite animals, although if you actually think that's a bit weird for a screen name, then Pyro could be useable as well, if not Alex for my first name.

My Dream Theater background actually originates thanks to Rock Band 2. I fell in love with Panic Attack, especially because of that insane bass intro by Myung. It inevitably got me to check out the album Octavarium, and upon listening to more of their stuff, I just got hooked. That took place in around March, so I was REALLY hyped when I found out that the band was going to release their tenth studio album, Black Clouds & Silver Linings. That ended up being my first CD by them, and I got the special edition with the 2 bonus CD's. My current favorite album by them is Octavarium, I simply loved all of the songs in that album, with Octavarium being my favorite song by the band, and The Count of Tuscany following close behind.

Other musical favorites would include Queens of the Stone Age, The Strokes, Interpol, Foo Fighters, Arctic Monkeys, Radiohead, Muse, Nine Inch Nails, System of a Down, 30 Seconds to Mars, Metallica sort of, and a bunch of other prog/metal/indie bands, like Symphony X and Franz Ferdinand. :U

Aside from that, I'm also an avid gamer and writer.... I basically write little stories for this other forum I go to (the link is in my profile incase anyone is interested >.>; ), and I own a Wii, a broken dead RROD possessed 360, plus a DS. My game library would include Smash Bros. Brawl, Pokemon Pearl/Revolution, Mario Strikers Charged, Halo 3, Rock Band 2, and a couple of other less interesting ones. Btw, I have online capability, so if anyone wants a match or something.... :P

That's basically it I guess... hope to make new friends and whatnot. :3
*Image removed for being too tall*

Fan the flame with a little lie. Then turn your cheek until the fire dies.[/center]

Offline veronica

• Bosk-approved weird aunt
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Something must be done about this girl at once!
« Reply #338 on: October 22, 2009, 01:49:50 AM »
Hi there! I already gave you cake but again: Welcome. And also, wow, you're "the new kind" of fan! Rock band, eyh? That's cool :D

Honorary Junior Old Fogey
I have a dual-citizenageinternetgroupship.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #339 on: October 22, 2009, 07:46:37 AM »
Hey, Alex. Welcome.

Do you have all of DT's albums yet?

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #340 on: October 22, 2009, 08:00:58 AM »
Hold on. I know this was a point of discussion, and I think now we may have an answer.

Did you ever hear the song "The Shattered Fortress" before you heard "The Glass Prison", "This Dying Soul", "The Root of All Evil", or "Repentance"? If so, what did you think of it?
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #341 on: October 22, 2009, 08:11:56 AM »
Oh shit. Good thinking.

Offline Raccoon

« Reply #342 on: October 22, 2009, 12:01:07 PM »
Hi there! I already gave you cake but again: Welcome. And also, wow, you're "the new kind" of fan! Rock band, eyh? That's cool :D

Yeah, that's one way of putting it I guess... xD
And thanks again. :U

Hey, Alex. Welcome.

Do you have all of DT's albums yet?

Unfortunately, I only have their tenth... I'm planning on getting Octavarium, Scenes from a Memory, Train of Thought, Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, Systematic Chaos, and finally Images and Words in that order. I only managed to get BC&SL's because it was recently released, and that's the only album that I ever see in stock aside from their Greatest Hit compilation and Live at Budokan.... D<

And thanks for the welcome. :U

Hold on. I know this was a point of discussion, and I think now we may have an answer.

Did you ever hear the song "The Shattered Fortress" before you heard "The Glass Prison", "This Dying Soul", "The Root of All Evil", or "Repentance"? If so, what did you think of it?

Actually, the first of the 5 that I heard was "The Root of All Evil", with the second being "The Glass Prison" , seeing ow as soon as I heard that DT had a 42 minute epic, I sort of skipped from Octavarium to SDoIT xD;  Anyway, it was funny because when I later listened to "This Dying Soul", I thought that a certain verse sounded REALLY familiar, and upon doing some research, I found out about the 12 step suite.

Still, I loved how Portnoy combined all of the preceding four with The Shattered Fortress.... it's my second favorite. :D

Fan the flame with a little lie. Then turn your cheek until the fire dies.[/center]

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #343 on: October 22, 2009, 12:32:25 PM »
FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #344 on: October 22, 2009, 02:23:22 PM »

Unfortunately, I only have their tenth... I'm planning on getting Octavarium, Scenes from a Memory, Train of Thought, Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, Systematic Chaos, and finally Images and Words in that order. I only managed to get BC&SL's because it was recently released, and that's the only album that I ever see in stock aside from their Greatest Hit compilation and Live at Budokan.... D<

This is the beauty of amazon.com and the internet.  Ordering back catalogs.  Assuming you aren't the credit-card possessing type, music stores like FYE will order anything they don't have in stock for you.

And welcome aboard.

Offline Raccoon

« Reply #345 on: October 22, 2009, 10:52:34 PM »
FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

I didn't understand as to why you just posted that, it's not like I made you lose the gam--- ......nvm. ;D
Although I have to admit that I'm a bit curious... <.<

This is the beauty of amazon.com and the internet.  Ordering back catalogs.  Assuming you aren't the credit-card possessing type, music stores like FYE will order anything they don't have in stock for you.

And welcome aboard.

Yeah, but the unfortunate problem with that is actually buying things online. My parents don't really feel safe when it comes to that because of one bad experience... xD;

Although I do feel as if I should try your second suggestion. I'll do that as soon as I can get the money for an album.... still, it'd be best to ask this now; would it be better to fill in the order asap, or when I'm able to buy the album(s)?

And thanks for the welcome. :3

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #346 on: October 23, 2009, 08:07:37 AM »
We have wanted to know ever since BC&SL came out what someone would think of The Shattered Fortress if they hadn't yet heard the other parts of the suite.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #347 on: November 01, 2009, 08:04:33 PM »
I never officially posted here when i was new. So here it is,

"Hi DTF!"
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Space Invader

• The Canadian Doctor Who Fanatic
  • DTF.org Member
  • Also recently addicted to Survivor
« Reply #348 on: November 02, 2009, 04:38:46 PM »
I never officially posted here when i was new. So here it is,

"Hi DTF!"

Same deal!

Shout to all the Canadians!
Everything can, should and will be progressive.

"The only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain" - Montaigne.

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline XianL

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #349 on: November 02, 2009, 04:40:49 PM »
Hollah! And a salute to you, sir, for studying 5 minutes walk from where I do :metal