Author Topic: DTF Official Newb Welcome Thread v. 2.0 (Introduce yourself here!)  (Read 399460 times)

Offline mimipetrucci

Re: DTF Official Newb Welcome Thread v. 2.0 (Introduce yourself here!)
« Reply #1960 on: June 24, 2015, 10:40:44 AM »
 :rollin

HI EVERYONE!  new here as well  :smiley: 

a dt fan
a drummer
a guitarist
from philippines :) :) :)

Offline Michel Camilo

« Reply #1961 on: June 24, 2015, 09:23:04 PM »
:rollin

HI EVERYONE!  new here as well  :smiley: 

a dt fan
a drummer
a guitarist
from philippines :) :) :)

Welcome, I'm the effeminate assumed-gay-who-isn't-gay scenester hipster guy who everyone enjoys picking on :D

Question: Do you like Ghibli films? This is what determines if I genuinely like you as a poster or just think you're pretty okay. Also do you like Bright Eyes?​

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1962 on: June 25, 2015, 01:55:28 AM »
Princess Mononoke  :metal Spirited Away  :metal :metal

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #1963 on: July 21, 2015, 10:51:47 PM »
Nobody told me this thread existed...
So that means I'm still a newb?
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1964 on: July 22, 2015, 08:19:16 AM »
Finally made the jump from the MP forum due to lack of interest there. I recognize a lot of names and look forward to posting here often!

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #1965 on: July 22, 2015, 08:32:42 AM »
Hello! I'm a guy who makes illustrations. My activities are more or less drawing, painting, playing guitar (not as much as I used to), writing music (again not as much as I used to) and walk outside. What an exciting life that I have  :lol

And I live in Canada. I won't say where exactly, but we like poutine (or however it's spelled in english).

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #1966 on: July 22, 2015, 06:48:26 PM »
Hello everyone! After keeping track of this community for some time, I finally decided to join here to express myself and give my thoughts on some DT stuff, and to share the huge love for this band with other people who have pretty the same taste as I do...

My name is Lucas, I'm 21 y/o, Brazilian and live in São Paulo, Brazil (planning to move soon to Europe, as I'm a EU citizen as well). Discovered DT in 2007 through a streaming service here in Brazil, was listening to Led Zeppelin and the suggested song in the playlist of "same style artists" was the Zep Medley from ACOS. After that, I listened to ACOS, Finally Free and The Spirit Carries On. Since then, I think that there's no way out from this addiction called Dream Theater...  :lol

Even though I discovered the band near the release of SC, this is my least favorite album. I'm much more into I&W, Awake and FII (MY HOLY TRINITY) and the Majesty Era stuff than the latest stuff with MP (ToT - BC&SL era).

I study Business Administration but I'm also a musician (I play drums, keyboard and guitar) and work at a music studio.

Sherinian is God.

o/
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 07:06:52 PM by lucasembarbosa »

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1967 on: July 27, 2015, 03:11:59 AM »
Welcome to the madness, all. I hope you'll enjoy your stay. Dont' let Heffdaddy frighten you....
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1968 on: July 27, 2015, 05:16:50 AM »
Finally made the jump from the MP forum due to lack of interest there. I recognize a lot of names and look forward to posting here often!

We don't like Nebraska fans  :biggrin:

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1969 on: August 09, 2015, 03:50:49 PM »
Well I didn't know about this thread, but I think it was about time after 2 months..

I'm turning 20 in a few months, so basically most of my musical preferences are based o those of my dad, excuse me if my knowledge is not up to date.   :|
I live in The Netherlands.
I'm a pretty recent Dream Theater fan, have known them for a long time, but I've only been a real fan since 2013, and am yet to see them in concert which I'm really looking forward to.  ;D
And last but not least, my username is a very uninspired alteration of Train of Thought, if you hadn't noticed.
I've been here for a while now so I already know a lot of you by your names, but I'm looking forward to the rest of my stay!
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline JoeZoot

« Reply #1970 on: August 15, 2015, 12:41:48 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for the add! I can't believe I wasn't a member here, since I've been a fan since 1994. Well, I'm here now. Mikael, I live in Porvoo, Finland. I've been to eleven DT shows.

Offline OnTheBacksofAngela

• DTF Enthusiast!
  • :)
« Reply #1971 on: October 07, 2015, 01:10:33 PM »
Hey everyone! My name is Angela Moore, but you can call me Angel if you'd like. I am currently 13, going to 14 and I was introduced to Dream Theater at the age of 12. I live in Los Angeles, California. I owe my life to Dream Theater as I can relate to them alot. Some songs speak of my clearly like. a nightmare to remeber, disappear, etc.
I have listened to all their albums besides WDADU. I can't wait to find a spot in this family here and I wish I could get to know everyone here. It's great to be part of the Dream theater family. Thank you guys!
Glad to be back.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1972 on: October 07, 2015, 02:07:12 PM »
 :metal WELCOME ! THIS FORUM IS BY FAR THE BEST THEM ON THE INTERNETZ

Offline OnTheBacksofAngela

• DTF Enthusiast!
  • :)
« Reply #1973 on: October 07, 2015, 02:46:28 PM »
I can imagine it being~
So many emoji's :)
 :angel:
Glad to be back.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1974 on: October 12, 2015, 12:50:33 AM »
Welcome to one and all. And always nice to see a fellow Dutchie...  ;)
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1975 on: October 22, 2015, 03:18:55 PM »
*Knocks knocks*

Uh well.... anybody around here? can I get in?  :biggrin:

Greetings humans and fellow DT fans, n00b here, although I'm a longtime DT fan (I got into them during the summer of 1999, go figure which was my first new album once I became a fan  ;D ), and also a longtime lurker, I didn't really pay attention to usernames and avatars but I browse the forums since several months so I figured I might as well join in  :D

Cheers from a 30-something (geez I'm old) from Italy (not Tuscany), if anyone is here from James LaBrie's board,  I was Orodaran back there, my new nickname comes from a wonderful Neil Gaiman movie, filmed by the Jim Henson company! see you around the boards!  :tup
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #1976 on: October 28, 2015, 09:45:12 AM »
Welcome to the board!
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline mrtruthless

« Reply #1977 on: November 05, 2015, 11:25:00 AM »
Hi all. Been reading the forum for a few years, decided to sign up for an account. You can find me in the frozen wastes of Canada, and I've been listening to DT for probably the last 10 years or so. I do a podcast called Respectably Loud about responsible adults geeking out on their definitive pieces of pop culture, but I won't be pimping that too much (though if you're interested, I won't turn away listeners).
I hate catchphrases - Me

Offline Kix

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1978 on: December 03, 2015, 03:05:19 AM »
I figured I should say a proper hello in here :) Thanks for the nice welcome elsewhere! I tend to lurk more than I post but registered to join in a bit more!

I'm in London, I've been working with DT handling their UK press for the last 8 years or so. I worked for Roadrunner UK for over a decade and have been running my own PR co for the last 3.5 years. Die hard music fan, and started off on a street team handing out flyers for bands I love trying to get more folks into them all! I post on quite a few band forums, usually under this name. Properly excited about the new DT album and have been loving reading everyone's comments as each reveal happens. I did a day of UK press this week and tried not to turn the lunch/dinner breaks into too much of my own inquisition.  ;D Also can't wait for the Palladium shows here in Feb. I might work in the industry but am still a music fan first and foremost. :)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1979 on: December 03, 2015, 06:18:09 AM »
I figured I should say a proper hello in here :) Thanks for the nice welcome elsewhere! I tend to lurk more than I post but registered to join in a bit more!

I'm in London, I've been working with DT handling their UK press for the last 8 years or so. I worked for Roadrunner UK for over a decade and have been running my own PR co for the last 3.5 years. Die hard music fan, and started off on a street team handing out flyers for bands I love trying to get more folks into them all! I post on quite a few band forums, usually under this name. Properly excited about the new DT album and have been loving reading everyone's comments as each reveal happens. I did a day of UK press this week and tried not to turn the lunch/dinner breaks into too much of my own inquisition.  ;D Also can't wait for the Palladium shows here in Feb. I might work in the industry but am still a music fan first and foremost. :)

Red Light, Green Light, TNT?   ;)

Welcome to the show. My best friend works in the industry and used to have some contacts at Roadrunner here in the US. I heard they got rid of a few people so I think he lost his main contacts but he still gets us into shows and whatnot. We're actually putting something together with another friend of ours. Sort of a like a prog/metal blog but with a few added intrigues. I have some ideas to make it stand out. With his connections, our friends amazing creative and web design skills, and my writing & all around music knowledge, it should be killer.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1980 on: December 03, 2015, 07:49:24 AM »
HELLOOOOO

My name is Fritz, I am from the wonderful town Dresden in east Germany and I am a 22 year old music/guitar student here at the college of music. I have been a Dream Theater fan since a friend of mine sent me The Root Of All Evil over ICQ, that means it must have been around winter 2005/06. Before that I listened to Metallica a lot, although I have always loved "old" bands. At age 7 I started playing the guitar because I fell in love with Mark Knopflers style of playing. I never quit since then and now I study it, trying to make it my profession. There is really no other thing I am good at except for music. I think :D
After I started listening to DT, I went all the way back to discovering the original Prog bands, such as Genesis, Yes, Crimso, Pink Floyd (them I knew before I knew DT though), UK, Kansas, VdGG, Renaissance, Jethro Tull - all those great bands. I also love Muse, Coldplay, Katie Melua (I would marry that woman if I could, wow), Steven Wilson, Sting, Steely Dan, Rush, Queen, Spock's Beard, Pain Of Salvation, Bruce Springsteen, Peter Gabriel, Neal Morse, Led Zep, Joe Cocker, David Bowie, IQ, Haken and so on and so on. Of course I also listen to Jazz, such as Pat Metheny, John Scofield, Paul Desmond (my fav sax player), Jim Hall, Bill Evans, Miles Davis, the usual quite well known stuff so to say.
But still, Dream Theater and Genesis are my favorite bands of all time, and Mark Knopfler is my favorite one man artist.
I always loved to read your speculations about the new upcoming DT albums, and have always read those for the past years. YES, I also read all your 69 pages of thoughts about THE ASTONISHING for wich btw I can't wait. I was one of the older members of the German DT Forum, but in the end there were like 5-6 active members, so it was closed eventually wich left me lonely and without a forum to post stuff :( So I am now in the German Genesis Forum AND HERE!!!
Let's see, what else.
I also like coffee, Bratwurst and christmas markets, pizza, whisky and beer of course, Tarantino, mulled wine, nice clothes, shoes, Bruce Willis, talking about gear and like guitar picks n stuff. I am dark blonde, 1,80m, straight, a little melancholy when I'm drunk and a very nice guy. That's about the size of it :D

I'm looking forward to discussing with you guys! (also a great way to practice my English)
LATER!

FRITZ
any rock can be made to roll

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1981 on: December 03, 2015, 07:53:19 AM »
Welcome. Do you like the movie Avatar?

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1982 on: December 03, 2015, 08:14:42 AM »
Thanks! Honestly, I don't. I mean, the effects and images are great but somehow I just didn't like it. Why do you ask?
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Kix

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1983 on: December 03, 2015, 09:33:58 AM »

Red Light, Green Light, TNT?   ;)

Welcome to the show. My best friend works in the industry and used to have some contacts at Roadrunner here in the US. I heard they got rid of a few people so I think he lost his main contacts but he still gets us into shows and whatnot. We're actually putting something together with another friend of ours. Sort of a like a prog/metal blog but with a few added intrigues. I have some ideas to make it stand out. With his connections, our friends amazing creative and web design skills, and my writing & all around music knowledge, it should be killer.

Well, I reckon a few people might Blow Their Fuse pretty shortly... ahem.  :censored :rollin

Your blog sounds cool - best of luck with it!

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #1984 on: December 04, 2015, 04:15:45 PM »
Herzlich willkommen! Grüße aus Göttingen :)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1985 on: December 05, 2015, 10:58:11 AM »

Well, I reckon a few people might Blow Their Fuse pretty shortly... ahem.  :censored :rollin

Your blog sounds cool - best of luck with it!

:lol Some do blow their fuse here.

When we eventually get it up and running, I'll probably start a thread here for it.

Offline Segue Myles

« Reply #1986 on: December 08, 2015, 10:29:37 AM »
Hello!

I am Segue Myles!

I am new here!

Sort of new to Dream Theater (casually liked them for nearly a decade...turned crazy mental over them in the last fortnight!).

Love me! I am awesome! Hehehe

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1987 on: December 08, 2015, 10:55:21 AM »
:lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1988 on: December 28, 2015, 04:06:44 PM »
Fritz, hey there! I'm in Dresden too.

Do you study at the HTW or the TU?
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline HippyDave

« Reply #1989 on: January 19, 2016, 12:18:25 PM »
Hey all!

I'm Dave, from the darkest corners of central England. Fan since 1994, after picking up "Awake", not really knowing what to expect, having read rave reviews of it in the Rush fanzine "Spirit Of Rush". I was instantly smitten and have never looked back.

Was a member/semi-regular poster over at Voices UK for a wile there, so if any other Voicees are reading this, yeah, it's me. You had a good run, but I'm like a bad penny.

*Waves*

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1991 on: January 19, 2016, 12:20:14 PM »
Thanks! Honestly, I don't. I mean, the effects and images are great but somehow I just didn't like it. Why do you ask?

Chino is our resident Avatard. :chino:

It's his favourite movie of all time.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1992 on: January 19, 2016, 12:30:40 PM »
Hey all!

I'm Dave, from the darkest corners of central England. Fan since 1994, after picking up "Awake", not really knowing what to expect, having read rave reviews of it in the Rush fanzine "Spirit Of Rush". I was instantly smitten and have never looked back.

Was a member/semi-regular poster over at Voices UK for a wile there, so if any other Voicees are reading this, yeah, it's me. You had a good run, but I'm like a bad penny.

*Waves*

I posted on the VoicesUK forum occasionally, but I don't remember your name. You might not remember mine either, so there's that.  :justjen

Offline HippyDave

« Reply #1993 on: January 19, 2016, 12:34:28 PM »
I posted on the VoicesUK forum occasionally, but I don't remember your name. You might not remember mine either, so there's that.  :justjen

Heh, no such luck. I do remember you - or at least, I remember the 'Progsnob' moniker :smiley:

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1994 on: January 19, 2016, 12:41:14 PM »

Heh, no such luck. I do remember you - or at least, I remember the 'Progsnob' moniker :smiley: