Author Topic: DTF Official Newb Welcome Thread v. 2.0 (Introduce yourself here!)  (Read 399690 times)

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Re: DTF Official Newb Welcome Thread v. 2.0 (Introduce yourself here!)
« Reply #1925 on: December 29, 2014, 04:51:15 AM »
WTF is the forums DEAL ??!!! The f-ing "Letters image" is 90% unreadable most of the time, except for this post, and just WHY is there 4 verifications ?? 2 are the most needed on OTHER forums (sevenstring.org is a perfect example) 4 is just plain PARANOIA over "bots", just use a regular pic with numbers in the scene somewhere like any non-paranoid does.
Wonderful first post. :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1926 on: December 29, 2014, 07:00:56 AM »
WTF is the forums DEAL ??!!! The f-ing "Letters image" is 90% unreadable most of the time, except for this post, and just WHY is there 4 verifications ?? 2 are the most needed on OTHER forums (sevenstring.org is a perfect example) 4 is just plain PARANOIA over "bots", just use a regular pic with numbers in the scene somewhere like any non-paranoid does.
Getting hit by over 400 bots in one day will do thing like that to you.

But thanks for your valuable input.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1927 on: December 29, 2014, 07:12:49 PM »

Once you get past a little inconvenience for the first 30 seconds of your time here (seriously I don't even remember the registration process), you see that this is probably one of the best-run forums on the Internet. Rarely does anything actually bad happen here, at least in the year and a half I've been here.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1928 on: December 29, 2014, 07:23:36 PM »
Welcome, fresh blood.

Offline idlewoodarian

« Reply #1929 on: January 07, 2015, 05:31:53 AM »
Hello there! I'm 24 and I'm from France. I suppose I'm not a true Dream Theater fan because they're not my favourite band and I'm pretty critical of their recent output, but they were one of my first metal bands and I listen to their albums from the '90s pretty often.

I started with Octavarium not long after it was released, and for a time I absolutely loved it and listened to it on repeat. Then I moved on to Awake which quickly became my absolute favourite album ever for a few years. At that time I really worshiped the band, but I knew only a small part of their discography. Then I got into black metal, industrial & experimental stuff so I pretty much shunned the band, but since a few years I've managed to re-appreciate them. My favourite album would be Images & Words, it just instantaneously gets me into another world. I also really like Awake obviously, although I've listened to it to death and now it's weird to listen to it. I also really enjoy Scenes from a Memory and Train of Thought, but I don't like Octavarium anymore, except for the title track. I enjoy Falling into Infinity a bit more than most people I suppose, but that's because I can dig AOR and it makes me feel like it's the holidays. As I've said though, I've been really disappointed in what the band have been releasing since Octavarium... My favourite songs by the band are "Metropolis Pt. 1", "Space-Dye Vest" and "Disappear".

About music in general, my favourite bands are Nine Inch Nails, The Cure and Killing Joke. I mostly listen to alternative rock, post-punk, indie rock, stuff from the '80s and the '90s, with some metal on the side. My favourite metal genre would be black metal and my favourite metal band are Type O Negative. I'm not all that much into prog besides a few prog metal albums and Pink Floyd. Well, I like Opeth and Riverside.

I'm a HUGE RYM & last.fm nerd, I spend my life on these two websites.
https://rateyourmusic.com/~idlewoodarian
https://www.last.fm/user/idlewoodarian/library/music/Dream+Theater

Offline Counselor of Prog

« Reply #1930 on: January 21, 2015, 07:30:55 PM »
Greetings and salutations and whatnot.  Just turned 48 a few weeks ago.  Slowly making my grand entrance back into the wonderful world of epic prog.  I've remained saturated in Kansas, Kerry Livgren solo stuff, and also exposing myself to the wonderful material of Flying Colors and Neal Morse.  Not to mention playing the daylights out of DT's Pandora channel.  Lots of Liquid Tension Experiment, Rush, Joe Satriani, Iron Maiden, and Neal Morse inundating the ear buds. 

That's the long and short of it.  Looking forward to hearing from you all.  Peace, CoP.
"The only closed systems in the universe are hardened hearts and darkened minds." Scott Becker, Valley of the Shadow

Offline The Cat Of Tuscany

• "The truth is the truth and the only thing you can do is to live with it."
« Reply #1931 on: January 28, 2015, 04:56:26 PM »
Hi everyone,

I'm a user who was introduced to DT about three years ago by my brother, who found Lost Not Forgotten on Spotify and told me to listen to it. They have since become my all-time favorite band, and I was very relieved to find this community and know that I'm not the only one who likes this band.
My first general impression of this forum was that it was full of crazy prog fans who curse a lot and make one-word posts. So I was a little wary of joining. But I did, and was surprised at how kindly I was welcomed! That first general impression is now long-gone.
I'm very picky about what prog bands I choose to listen to, and so far the main ones I'm really into are:
Dream Theater
Haken
Epica (they sort of count as prog)
Porcupine Tree
Flying Colors
Spock's Beard
To-Mera
Redemption

I only know four people in real life who at least know who Dream Theater is, and surprisingly, they are all teenage girls. (go figure!)

Anyway, I also like to compose my own music, and I'm currently working on my first solo album, so look for that in the next few months!

See you around,
Jack

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1932 on: January 28, 2015, 09:56:41 PM »
Welcome guys!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1933 on: February 06, 2015, 06:19:57 PM »
Greetings and salutations and whatnot.  Just turned 48 a few weeks ago.  Slowly making my grand entrance back into the wonderful world of epic prog.  I've remained saturated in Kansas, Kerry Livgren solo stuff, and also exposing myself to the wonderful material of Flying Colors and Neal Morse.  Not to mention playing the daylights out of DT's Pandora channel.  Lots of Liquid Tension Experiment, Rush, Joe Satriani, Iron Maiden, and Neal Morse inundating the ear buds. 

That's the long and short of it.  Looking forward to hearing from you all.  Peace, CoP.

A Maiden loving Fogey is always welcomed here!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline seltaire

« Reply #1934 on: February 16, 2015, 07:33:46 PM »
Salutations!

I've been huge Dream Theater fan since I was twelve. It was my gateway to progressive rock and metal and its easily my favorite band ... even though I don't listen to anything after Scenes from a Memory because I've very picky and particular. I don't like metal that is too heavy, and really dislike black/death metal (sorry folks). I love Canterbury scene progressive rock like National Health and anything that has the 70s, 80s and 90s sound. I am also really fond of Post Rock, Jazz, Folk and Classic, but Progressive Rock/Metal is definitely my favorite genre.

A few other prog bands I listen to are Liquid Tension Experiment, Wobbler, and National Health. Yeah, my tastes are really narrow, and I hope browsing around this forum can introduce me to some new bands.  :laugh:

My favorite Dream Theater album is Images and Words, followed by Scenes from a Memory. Favorite song is probably Learning to Live.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1935 on: February 17, 2015, 04:50:49 AM »
Salutations!

I've been huge Dream Theater fan since I was twelve. It was my gateway to progressive rock and metal and its easily my favorite band ... even though I don't listen to anything after Scenes from a Memory because I've very picky and particular.

My favorite Dream Theater album is Images and Words, followed by Scenes from a Memory. Favorite song is probably Learning to Live.
You should listen to Dream Theater's album A Dramatic Turn of Events, it is a real throwback to their older sound in many ways.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline seltaire

« Reply #1936 on: February 17, 2015, 03:24:09 PM »

I did ... but it still didn't quite do it for me. I think I am just really particular.  :-\ I hope their next album will make me 'feel' the same way Images and Words did.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1937 on: February 17, 2015, 08:30:46 PM »

I did ... but it still didn't quite do it for me. I think I am just really particular.  :-\ I hope their next album will make me 'feel' the same way Images and Words did.

I think that is the dream of many a DT fan.   ;)

Offline progster

• Keep on rocking - its the only way!
« Reply #1938 on: February 19, 2015, 04:12:33 PM »
I just joined the forum today.Ive been a massive fan since seeing DT  live in Sheffield , England UK  on the Scenes from a Memory  tour.Im a rock , prog and metal fan and for me DT top the lot in terms of muscianship, expertise and providing awesome cocerts.Long may it happen.Im really looking forward to posting and getting to speak to other fans.Hi everyone!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1939 on: February 26, 2015, 02:46:54 PM »
Welcome. Enjoy!
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline alcofribas

• Pataphysician
« Reply #1940 on: March 09, 2015, 03:20:19 PM »
Where am I? I demand to know!

Offline Illethal

« Reply #1941 on: March 28, 2015, 05:43:09 PM »
Hi Guys!

Took only about a week to get approval to join this forum, but i'm so glad it went through!

I haven't been a DT fan for very long (my first experience with them was playing their songs in Rock Band!). But I have really gotten into them the last few weeks, to the point where they have quickly shot up to being one of my top favorite bands.

I have been playing all their albums on Spotify, and I have yet to get sick of any of them. I have been going through a rough time in my life, and this band has helped me through the roughest moments.

My most recent DT purchase was the Deluxe Edition of SC, which has the 5.1 mix (which I play in my car as loud as I can).

I can't wait to get to know everyone here, this seems like a great community!

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1942 on: March 28, 2015, 06:21:03 PM »
Welcome!
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline de_fromage

« Reply #1943 on: April 15, 2015, 10:18:31 PM »
Hi,

Not really newb, I was here for a couple of years back in 06 I thik.

Anyways, hello to everybody, name's Rafael, started playing bass because of that "chinese dude following us" and Claypool, so absolute fan of DT and Primus.

I was introduce to them with ToT thanks to a friend that also lend me Scenes, my mom kinda also introduce me to DT she has a crush on Pretucci and took me to a G3 around that time.

Have been playing bass for years, have taken guitar recently but for stuff like Explosions in the sky and mono, ambient stuff and weird pedal driven things like Tera Melos.

I study psychology and I'm crazy about bootlegs, have a decent DT collection, also a ton of Primus, Explosions in the sky, Godspeed and some more. Was part of the Hub, but it's down :(

I enjoy pineapple and company of dogs.

#over
Ringo is one of my top 5 Beatles.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #1944 on: April 19, 2015, 01:12:16 PM »
Welcome!

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1945 on: April 19, 2015, 02:10:28 PM »
Welcome! What a coincidence that on the first time in years that I check this thread I find a guy who is crazy about bootlegs.  :lol
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline de_fromage

« Reply #1946 on: April 19, 2015, 03:13:13 PM »
Welcome!

Thanks, this place is lots of fun

Welcome! What a coincidence that on the first time in years that I check this thread I find a guy who is crazy about bootlegs.  :lol

Thanks, haha, yeah, they're amazing, each tour has it's own unique vibe. Specially ToT, they played lots of ACoS
I've got many from the Hub. Some years ago I tried entering some vines but they all got stucked somewhere or didn't happen.

I'm currently flooding dime with Primus' shows, if anyone's interested

Ringo is one of my top 5 Beatles.

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #1947 on: May 21, 2015, 02:53:20 PM »
I'm not new to this site, but I've been away for a couple of years, so I thought I'd sort of "re-introduce" myself.

My name is Cedar redaC. I discovered Dream Theater's music about 3-4 years ago, and I discovered this site a few months later. I really came to like the music and the community of this site, so I kept up with both prior to my mission. For the last two years, I've been in Australia on a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I just got home, and looking back, it was one of the greatest experiences of my entire life. I'd do it again if I could. (I posted this before I left, but if you'd like to know what I've been up to, this is pretty much it.

I'm studying chemistry with minors in biology and music at Southern Utah University. I plan on going into pharmacy.

Musically, I'm into prog-rock/metal, Jazz, 80's pop, and bits of everything else. I play trumpet and guitar, and I'm involved in a couple of different musical groups in university and with friends.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline Onno

« Reply #1948 on: May 22, 2015, 12:39:09 PM »
Welcome back!

Offline Telefragged

« Reply #1949 on: May 26, 2015, 01:22:56 PM »
Not new, but it's been a very long time for me.  I don't recognize a lot of faces anymore.

Offline Archonian

« Reply #1950 on: June 13, 2015, 07:46:30 AM »
Hey, whats up everyone?

My name is Yordi, Im 25 y/o and Im from The Netherlands.
I've been a DT fan for about 9 years now, but I've only seen them live once, in 2013.

I play bass, started like most bassists with a 4 string, but John Myung was the one that got me into 6 string basses.

Cheers!

Offline Onno

« Reply #1951 on: June 15, 2015, 03:07:53 AM »
Welkom Yordi!

Offline Krissi91

« Reply #1952 on: June 17, 2015, 02:57:21 PM »
Hello everyone!

My name is Kristina, I'm 24 and from Germany. I've been reading here for quite some time and have now finally decided to register.
My father introduced me to Dream Theater's music about 8 years ago and I have been a fan ever since. In January 2014 I saw them live for the first time in Munich and I was really REALLY impressed and they became my absolute favorite band. :hefdaddy ;) That year I went again to their summer show in Mannheim and even though they played exactly the same set list, it was once again a phenomenal experience. Especially because they played the second half of Awake, their best album to date, in my opinion. And I love how they changed up Space-Dye Vest!
This July I will see them on their special "30th anniversary" tour, I'm looking forward to see what they will come up with for that. :)
Dream Theater also got me into other progressive bands including: Rush, Haken, Porcupine Tree, Threshold, Seventh Wonder, Symphony X ...and so on ;)

I'm looking forward to talk to other DT fans here, as I don't really know anyone except my father who knows/likes them. It's great to see that this place is still so active, as most of the internet forums are dead nowadays because of Facebook.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1953 on: June 17, 2015, 04:22:11 PM »
Hello there, fellow German! Enjoy your stay.

I actually wanted to see them in July as well but I already had tickets for Night of the Prog and I didn't want to sell them. :\ Oh well, I'm sure it's going to be awesome!

Where in Germany are you from?
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Krissi91

« Reply #1954 on: June 18, 2015, 02:32:39 PM »
Thank you ;D

But Night of the prog sounds like a great show as well. And I'm sure DT will soon start another world tour, as their new album will be coming out in a few months (hopefully), so you don't have to wait very long to see them. :) Maybe they will even do the Evening With Shows again, that would be awesome!

I live in Munich. Where are you from?

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1955 on: June 19, 2015, 12:55:55 AM »
Other end, pretty much. I live in Dresden.

Going to have a lot of fun riding the bus for eight hours to get to Night of the Prog :P.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Onno

« Reply #1956 on: June 19, 2015, 04:20:39 AM »
Welcome, fellow German speaker!

I'm actually Dutch but I'm going to study in Göttingen starting October. Not going to Night of the Prog or the DT concert since I'm too busy and won't be living in Göttingen until the end of July probably...

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1957 on: June 19, 2015, 02:47:14 PM »
Welcome Krissi!  :)

I'm sure you'll enjoy here!
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline comment

• Custom Title
  • What’s on your mind Facebook?
« Reply #1958 on: June 21, 2015, 09:12:31 PM »
Willkommen aboard Krissi!  I used to live in Germany.  I miss it.  And Munich was a lot of fun.

Come to think of it, I guess I'm sorta noob myself...  Tja (oh well)
Signature

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1959 on: June 22, 2015, 04:51:28 AM »
Welkom/Willkommen Crissie. Bit late, but what the hell....
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....