Author Topic: DTF Official Newb Welcome Thread v. 2.0 (Introduce yourself here!)  (Read 399519 times)

Offline OpenYourEyes311

Re: DTF Official Newb Welcome Thread v. 2.0 (Introduce yourself here!)
« Reply #1890 on: May 20, 2014, 10:25:02 AM »
Hey guys, my name is Kevin. I 've come over from the MP forum, of which I have been a member for about 9 years or so. I mostly lurk on forum sites, but I do enjoy chiming in here and there. I spend my time living and working in Quincy, Mass near Boston, playing video games (NES-PS3), and listening to music from the 60s-today. I love Dream Theater with a fiery passion, been a fan since 2003, and am a big collector of their collective and individual music. Looking forward to talking with you all!
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #1891 on: May 20, 2014, 11:32:39 AM »
Welcome to you too  :tup

Offline George Eliot

« Reply #1892 on: May 24, 2014, 01:56:58 AM »
Hello everyone, I am also brand new to the forum and a fairly new DT fan.  I remember seeing the music video for "Lie" on MTV when I was a teenager.  I remember liking the name of the band but I didn't like the fact that the band had keyboards.  At that time in my life I thought anything synth was a cop out and only real strings should ever be used (yes, I was naive).  Metallica, Alice in Chains and the like, were all that mattered.

Fast forward 18 years and I found myself in a musical slump.  Because of my interests as an adult, most of the music I listened to as a teen just didn't satisfy me anymore.  I found myself becoming much more interested in classical music where the compositions were complex, beautiful, long and allowed to breath.  I wished there was a metal band out there that took this kind of approach to music.  So far, the closest I had found was still Metallica, their songs were generally longer than the norm and felt more as compositions rather than mere 3 minute songs.  Now, I don't mind 3 minute songs, but having an album full of them was something I just couldn't stand anymore.  I know 3 minute songs are "composed" as well, but, well I'm sure you know what I mean.  So I started a quest to find other bands that had the same characteristics Metallica had.

I was researching different sub genres of metal music and came across the band Tool.  I had bought their second album many years ago but lost interest in it fairly quickly.  The article stated Tool belonged to a sub genre called "Progressive" metal.  So I then searched to find out what that was on wikipedia.  In the article it mentioned Metallica as having elements of this style in their music, and that got me interested.  So I started looking up all the progressive bands listed in the article on youtube and, after 18 years, I came across "Lie" again and I instantly loved it.  I loved it so much that I couldn't understand why I hadn't given this band a chance when I was a teenager.  Then I listened to "On the Backs of Angels" and was blown away.  All my spare time over the next week was spent watching as many DT youtube videos as I could.  Soon I started buying up their albums, starting with ADToE and working backwards.  A few weeks later I was out jogging and listening to FII for the first time.  When I first heard the intro to "NM" all the mountains around me started turning into geometric shapes.  I was stunned, and I just stood there and cried.  To me, it was like a revelation and the rest is history.  I found the missing music I needed so much.  I just wish it hadn't taken me 18 years to find it.

Well, this was kind of long, but I thought it might help you know where I am coming from.  Long live DT.
"Some of them hated the mathematics that drove them, and some were afraid, and some worshiped the mathematics because it provided a refuge from thought and from feeling." -John Steinbeck 'The Grapes of Wrath'

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1893 on: May 28, 2014, 09:51:45 PM »
Welcome aboard!
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline master

« Reply #1894 on: June 02, 2014, 08:28:30 PM »
yo i'm the master, originally from new york, living abroad for a while. miss the weather :/

Offline Hellholming

• EZBoard Elder
  • hellraisin'
« Reply #1895 on: June 28, 2014, 02:58:52 PM »
hey all.

I used to post on the old EZboard... Think I registered in july 2000? anyway, was a moderator and an admin... lost my way... now I'm back. I think.  :tup
Professional idiot.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1896 on: June 28, 2014, 03:23:20 PM »
Hello Hellholming.

(Jesus that's an H-L-overload)
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1897 on: June 29, 2014, 05:13:28 PM »
Hello Hellholming.

(Jesus that's an H-L-overkill)

FTFY
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1898 on: June 29, 2014, 05:25:44 PM »
hey all.

I used to post on the old EZboard... Think I registered in july 2000? anyway, was a moderator and an admin... lost my way... now I'm back. I think.  :tup

Holy crap.  Welcome Back Hellholming :D Long time no see.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 05:30:55 PM by carl320 »
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1899 on: July 25, 2014, 12:29:56 AM »
hey all.

Good God, it's been a while. Welcome back.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Rickharris1011

« Reply #1900 on: July 27, 2014, 10:50:20 AM »
Hi all,

My name is Rick and I'm a DTaholic.

I'm new to the forum, though not to DT.  I got Images & Words for Christmas in '93 after my Guitar teacher turned me onto them (and encouraged me to play Pull Me Under in my high school rock band.  Our drummer nailed it, but the rest of us...um...not so much)  I was hooked for 20 years then kind of got unhooked for a while around ToT through BC&SL.    I got back into the after reading the had a grammy nomination back in 2011.  Downloaded aDToE and fell back in like no time had passed!  I've since downloaded every "album" I didn't have and have kept listening since.  Have seen them in every state I've lived (5) and drive my wife crazy when I play them "all the time"

Glad to be here

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1901 on: July 27, 2014, 11:02:29 AM »

I was hooked for 20 years then kind of got unhooked for a while around ToT through BC&SL.   Downloaded aDToE and fell back in like no time had passed! 

I can relate to that.  I never got "unhooked" but certainly did in terms of anticipating a new release.  ADTOE and DT12 were goodies I'd almost given up on hearing again on a new DT album.  I think you mean 10 years though  ;)

Welcome.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #1902 on: July 30, 2014, 03:10:03 PM »
Hello, my friends-
                          I've been on here for a few days now, and have already posted a few things (hope you liked them), but couldn't think of how to introduce myself. Still having trouble putting the words together. Anyway I'm one of the band's older fans. I'll be 52 in less than two months. I honestly don't remember how I first heard of Dream Theater, but I think it was either a radio or magazine article in which it was mentioned that they were a band that was equally influenced by "hard rock" or metal bands, and "progressive" bands as well. I had long been into both. I've always really liked bands like E.L.P., Genesis, Kansas, Moody Blues, Alan Parsons Project, Pink Floyd, Rush and of course-YES! But I was also into What I consider to be the better "hard rock/metal" bands such as AC/DC, Black Sabbath Blue Oyster Cult,  Deep Purple, Dio (God rest Ronnie's little soul!) Iron maiden, Judas Priest, Megadeth, Metallica and Queensryche. I could name other bands in both categories, but the list is plenty long enough to give you more than a good idea. I also like instrumental rock such as the Dixie Dregs and Joe Satriani.
                                                                                                                                                                                  I had long thought that there was a fine line between those two (or more) musical genres, and was longing for YEARS for a band that would come along and combine them, or create a "fusion" of sorts. Needless to say when I first heard DT, I was blown away!
I was asking things like "where has this band been all my life?" and "why the [BLEEP!] didn't this happen a long time ago?!"
  I have all of there albums (cds) and DVDs, but not much in the way of "bootleg" stuff. I've only seen them in concert four times, but I'm kind of glad, because I think it would get boring and monotonous to hear the same set over and over again. Besides like said, I have all of the DVDS. The first time was a number of firsts. It was at the Celebrity Theater in Phoenix, Jan. 31st, 2001, on the "Metropolis 2000" tour, (I live in Mesa, Az.) and it was the first time they played anywhere in Arizona that was bigger than a bar or a nightclub. Granted the Celebrity isn't MUCH bigger, but still... Anyway it was also the first tour with Jordan Rudess on keyboards. It was also the first time they played SFAM in it's entirety from beginning to end.
                                                                                                                                                The second show was in '02 at the Dodge Theater, also in Phoenix, with King's X and Joe Satriani. That show was the one of the worst concerts I've ever been to, for a myriad of reasons.
                                     The third, Train of Thought tour show again at the celebrity, was one of the best ever. Great variety of songs, at least one from every album at the time, including "A Change of Seasons'' in it's entirety as the  encore!
                                                                                                                                                      The last one was Easter Sunday of this year at the mesa Arts Center, or Ikeda Theater, if you Prefer (ten years is a long time between shows, and I hadn't been to any other concerts during that time, either!) but it was pretty much worth the wait. I think most of you know what their current show consists of, and I knew what it would be going in. I wasn't disappointed. Good Sound, Good songs, good lighting rig, good everything. Oh, and it was also nice that Mr. Mangini played a solo. Portnoy never did at any of the previous shows that I saw.
                In closing, I would like to say that Dream Theater is the ONE band that comes CLOSEST to doing everything that I like, and thank you for you patience.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 02:53:51 PM by chaossystem »
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline Andres

« Reply #1903 on: August 02, 2014, 01:29:08 PM »
k

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1904 on: August 15, 2014, 10:02:33 PM »
A few weeks later I was out jogging and listening to FII for the first time.  When I first heard the intro to "NM" all the mountains around me started turning into geometric shapes.  I was stunned, and I just stood there and cried.  To me, it was like a revelation and the rest is history.  I found the missing music I needed so much.  I just wish it hadn't taken me 18 years to find it.
Wow, that's really impressive man, glad you finally found DT and this forum. Your ears will be pleased with so much great music and your wallet shrunk. I hope you have a good time here :biggrin:.

And now that I think it, I never presented myself on this forum :blush. So... ehm... hello world?

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #1905 on: August 16, 2014, 05:57:55 PM »
A few weeks later I was out jogging and listening to FII for the first time.  When I first heard the intro to "NM" all the mountains around me started turning into geometric shapes.  I was stunned, and I just stood there and cried.  To me, it was like a revelation and the rest is history.  I found the missing music I needed so much.  I just wish it hadn't taken me 18 years to find it.
Wow, that's really impressive man, glad you finally found DT and this forum. Your ears will be pleased with so much great music and your wallet shrunk. I hope you have a good time here :biggrin:.

And now that I think it, I never presented myself on this forum :blush. So... ehm... hello world?

Well, thank you, but...

I've been listening to the band and accumulated most of their cds and dvds over something like a 20-year period. I've occasionally had to replace a few things, but for the most part didn't have to but too many all at once.

It's only this FORUM that I am very  NEW to.
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1906 on: August 16, 2014, 09:29:05 PM »
Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum. I have been lurking for a few months now and a couple of days ago I finally decided to make an account. My name is Joe, I'm 20 years old, and I live in Staten Island, New York. I first heard Dream Theater in 2008 when I played Panic Attack on Rock Band 2 for the first time. I loved the song and decided to get the album it was on. I listened to it all the way through and really liked it, and then the title track happened. 24 minutes later, I had a new favorite band.

Anyway, I hope you guys like what I have to say, and I look forwards to posting here often.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Onno

« Reply #1907 on: August 17, 2014, 01:27:23 AM »
Welcome!

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1908 on: August 17, 2014, 02:12:46 AM »
Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum. I have been lurking for a few months now and a couple of days ago I finally decided to make an account. My name is Joe, I'm 20 years old, and I live in Staten Island, New York. I first heard Dream Theater in 2008 when I played Panic Attack on Rock Band 2 for the first time. I loved the song and decided to get the album it was on. I listened to it all the way through and really liked it, and then the title track happened. 24 minutes later, I had a new favorite band.

Anyway, I hope you guys like what I have to say, and I look forwards to posting here often.

Well, seeing that you like Octavarium, the chances are rather slim. :neverusethis:

Just kidding. Welcome to the forum, Joe. Don't fade into obscurity after 3 posts like most of the freshly-registered posters.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1909 on: August 17, 2014, 02:13:45 AM »

Staten Island? We dont like you.

Love,
New Jersey

anyway, welcome to the forum!

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #1910 on: August 17, 2014, 03:05:51 PM »
It's good to know that there are younger people who still love REAL music, not the crap that's being marketed as such on radio, MTV, etc. They should ALWAYS be welcomed. And octavarium is a DAMN good piece of music!!!

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1911 on: August 17, 2014, 03:51:29 PM »
It's good to know that there are younger people who still love REAL music, not the crap that's being marketed as such on radio, MTV, etc. They should ALWAYS be welcomed. And octavarium is a DAMN good piece of music!!!

Not everything that ends up popular on the radio is awful.

For instance, Random Access Memories...
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #1912 on: September 03, 2014, 08:54:36 AM »
Hello DTF!

For some reason, I've kept thinking about joining this forum for nearly a year, but I never really got around to doing it until now. What drew me to Dream Theater initially was my dad showing me 'The Test That Stumped Them All' four years ago when I was 12, which led to me wanting their entire discography. Now, they are one of my favourite bands and, thanks to this site, I am aware of the merits of other bands like maudlin of the Well, Godspeed You! Black Emperor and King Crimson.

I look forward to becoming more involved with this community!

Offline Onno

« Reply #1913 on: September 03, 2014, 09:37:40 AM »
Welcome!

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1914 on: September 03, 2014, 09:41:58 AM »
Hi and welcome!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Xenon

« Reply #1915 on: September 03, 2014, 10:32:23 PM »
I'm in time to introduce?  :lol
Never knew of the existence of this thread

Offline whitehead

« Reply #1916 on: September 20, 2014, 07:40:35 AM »
Hi all,

I'm lurking around this forum quite a while now and finally was in the mood to register and participate a bit in the future.

I'm from southern Germany and currently pursuing a PhD degree in computer science with focus on data analysis and visual computing. I'm a fairly good amateur musician and playing alone or groups (5 to 30 people) mostly atonal and contemporary music. I think this is the reason why my musical taste is somewhat weir, because it ranges from classical stuff (Rachmaninoff, Grieg, Dvorak) over Jazz (Sonny Rollins, Miles Davis, Dave Brubeck, Cal Tjader, Leroy Vinnegar, Richard Galliano) to Metal and mostly guitar driven music (Nightwish, Kamelot, Opeth, Haken, Flying Colors, Spock's Beard, Panzerballett, Seventh Wonder, The Aristocrats, Stratovarius, Alter Bridge).

I'm a DT fan since 2009, after Amazon suggested me BCSL as a consequence of buying some headphones. I downloaded the album from Amazon, cranked up the volume, and "A Nightmare To Remember" started to play. After the end of TCOT, I immediately ordered their complete discography. Finally, I found a band with some sort of heaviness, a decent singer (James was amazing during the European leg of this year's tour). Also, to be honest, until then I've never heard somebody playing the drums as MP did it. He does not only play the rhythm or supports the others, he actually makes music (as, btw. also MM does). Oh, and not to forget JM and JP, especially the Best of Times and TCOT solo has so much feel and soul, just amazing. I've been to my first DT concert in 2011. The venue, Komplex 457 in Zürich, was really nice, because it was very small which built up some kind of personal feeling. Also, I've seen them performing TCOT, which was (and is) my favorite song (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bJA281m-fo, a video of their performance with good sound).

I'm looking forward to what's next, musical wise and in this great community here ;)

PS: please excuse typos and incorrect wordings, English is not my first language...

Offline Onno

« Reply #1917 on: September 20, 2014, 02:45:54 PM »
Wilkommen!

You should probably find quite some people here with musical tastes akin to yours, like mine!

Offline theaterdream

« Reply #1918 on: September 24, 2014, 11:29:04 AM »
Hi all. I'm new here. Actually, I did respond to a number of current threads and made some new ones before finding this thread.

Been a Dream Theater fan since the early 90's. Over the years my interest in the band faded during the following albums (TOT, SC and BC&SL). They were just far too metal for my taste and all the yelling and grunting from Portnoy was such a turn off. I'm a fan of the beautiful side of DT. I like the more melodic stuff. Love some of there slower stuff as well. Some favorites are: Learning To Live, Breaking All Illusions, Wither, The Silent Man, Far From Heaven, Wait For Sleep, Solitary Shell, Disappear, Misunderstood, Outcry, Surrender To Reason, The Looking Glass, Illumination Theory and Beneath The Surface.

After being away for awhile I purchased ADTOE and DT. Loved both. Love ADTOE more but both are the DT style I really like. I hope they continue in this style and leave the hardcore metal side behind for good. I find the older I like less and less metal. I want to hear a beautifully crafted song. It's okay if it has metal elements but all out metal songs just don't hold my interest any longer and sometimes just seem silly. Personal preference only though.

Anyway, glad I found this site. Seems like a cool DT community.

Here's hoping we get a new DT album in 2015!

« Reply #1919 on: September 29, 2014, 04:15:43 PM »
Hey everybody,

I've been a DT fan for 19 years and have lurked this forum as well as the MP forum for a long time. Finally decided to make the leap and start posting. I look forward to taking part in the awesome discussions that happen here!

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1920 on: September 30, 2014, 03:04:44 PM »
No person with such a username could ever be a bad person.

Offline Onno

« Reply #1921 on: September 30, 2014, 03:28:55 PM »
 :lol True. Welcome!

Offline Sub Luna Vitrea

• literally Emma Goldman
  • go team
« Reply #1922 on: November 28, 2014, 01:58:21 PM »
meow

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #1923 on: December 01, 2014, 10:22:53 AM »
Hello Luna =) Welcome to DTF!!! =D

Offline Prog_Freak

« Reply #1924 on: December 29, 2014, 04:21:32 AM »
WTF is the forums DEAL ??!!! The f-ing "Letters image" is 90% unreadable most of the time, except for this post, and just WHY is there 4 verifications ?? 2 are the most needed on OTHER forums (sevenstring.org is a perfect example) 4 is just plain PARANOIA over "bots", just use a regular pic with numbers in the scene somewhere like any non-paranoid does.