Author Topic: DTF Official Newb Welcome Thread v. 2.0 (Introduce yourself here!)  (Read 399398 times)

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
Re: DTF Official Newb Welcome Thread v. 2.0 (Introduce yourself here!)
« Reply #1820 on: November 18, 2013, 03:57:55 AM »
Welcome Brent, one of the more indepth introductionary posts on here and I think you'll have a great time over here.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1821 on: November 18, 2013, 04:43:37 AM »
Thanks guys - appreciate it.  :tup
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline pweaks

« Reply #1822 on: November 19, 2013, 01:52:19 PM »
Hello DTF! I'm a 18 years old guy from Finland. The first time I heard about Dream Theater was when my cousin played The Mirror for me from the Awake album. I was instantly sold. The next day I bought that album. This was in 2008 I think.

I'm mostly into progressive rock and metal, some of my favorite bands are (apart from DT) Rush, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Yes, Peter Gabriel-era Genesis, Opeth and Periphery.  I also like music from composers like Frédéric Chopin and Claude Debussy.

I'm a rather introverted person who spends most of his time playing guitar and hitting the gym. I also play in a band and we are finishing our first EP. Hopefully it will be released at the end of this year. :metal

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #1823 on: November 19, 2013, 03:34:14 PM »
Hey man, welcome! Your taste in music is awesome!

Offline MonagFam

« Reply #1824 on: December 11, 2013, 12:03:09 PM »
I thought I'd take a minute (probably too many) to introduce myself.  While I learned about DT mostly in chronological order, I was about 15 years behind the curve. 

It was probably 2007/08 (I know after Systematic Chaos) the topic of music came up.  I grew up with a lot of 80s hard rock and he mentioned Dream Theater as his favorite band.  Sadly (obviously not as all-knowing as I thought I was), I had to plead the fifth.   From that day forward, my friend introduced me to Dream Theater -- starting with I&W and, in order, up to Systematic Chaos.  He didn't introduce me all at once, but gradually.   I was hooked and couldn't believe the great music I was missing out on.   For DT, I started getting all of the CDs starting with BCSL, and I went crazy getting as many MP3s under the "progressive metal" genre. 

I'm looking forward to hearing the latest news and thoughts on DT, past, present, and future on this forum!

Favorite Prog Metal bands (no particular order) -- DT, Redemption, Seventh Wonder, Vanden Plas, Symphony X

Beyond that I mostly listen to classical music (I like a lot of the early 1900s composers -- Edmund Rubbra as a plug for a fairly unsung one), but like most genres of music.

Not sure if I have a favorite DT album -- though based on how I was introduced and getting into other bands, I probably don't rate I&W and Awake as highly as others.  I don't think I've heard a bad album yet.   My biggest gripe has been the layers and layers of Rudess/Petrucci, and struggling to hear Myung in the mix (but I think that was better the last two albums).

I am a husband and father of 6 -- so they are getting an earlier intro into DT....let's hope it sticks!

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1825 on: December 11, 2013, 12:04:20 PM »
Again...

Welcome!
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline smyke

« Reply #1826 on: December 11, 2013, 09:17:25 PM »
Hello all!

I'm 29  from Ohio, started getting in to DT about a year ago. Can you believe I never listened before?! Anyway they are becoming one of my favorite bands. I enjoy most genres of music except country. Other bands I enjoy include: Andromeda, Devin Townsend, Haken, Pink Floyd, Symphony X, Sigur Rós, Radiohead, Muse, dredg...

I really like any music that invokes an emotional response in myself. I have found a lot of DT to have a strong emotional part, even just in the instrumental parts. Aaaaanyway, just thought I would introduce myself!

Offline Hadi

« Reply #1827 on: December 12, 2013, 04:19:59 AM »
Hello,
I'm 20 and I also started listening to DT just in about one year ago, and i'm falling love with their songs, as I listen to them more.

I'm from Iran, by the way :)

Offline Onno

« Reply #1828 on: December 12, 2013, 04:51:15 AM »
Welcome guys!

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #1829 on: December 12, 2013, 10:20:00 AM »
Hello all!

I'm a guy who is closer to 30 than 20  :'( from New Jersey. I stumbled upon this forum when searching for DT vinyl and cassette releases, I collect vinyl pretty seriously and cassettes casually. I've been lurking here for awhile and decided that I just had to jump into some threads, most notably the controversial opinions  :biggrin:. I first got into Dream Theater in 1999 when I first heard Images And Words and I was totally blown away. Shortly thereafter I picked up the(at the time) new album, Scenes From A Memory, and I've been hooked on the band ever since. Other than DT I'm hugely into prog rock(mainly from the 70s) like Kansas, Rush, Genesis, ELP, Styx, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, etc. Metal as well, mainly 80s thrash like Dark Angel, Sepultura, Exodus, and the like and black metal such as Mayhem, Bathory, Ash Borer, and Wolves in The Throne Room.

Other interests include travel, I've been to 22 or 23 countries depending on how you count Palestine; video games, mostly old school NES through N64; and just generally being a nerd.

Hope to be around for awhile and get into arguments   :lol

"Ok, these guys are only catering to the hardcore fanbase that already bought the $8000 meet and greet package complete with signed LaBrie eye patch"

Offline Red

« Reply #1830 on: December 18, 2013, 07:54:47 AM »
Hi Everyone

I'm Tom from Perth, Western Australia, 27 years old uni student. I've been following DT since 2000 when I first bought the SFAM cassette. Before that I was listening to Skid Row, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Bon Jovi and just about any rock music that I can get my hands on.

I've been lurking around this forum for a while now, so I'm already familiar with the moderators and admins. (And the rules, of course) Before that, I was also a member of DT.net around the time SDOIT came out. English is not my first language, so I didn't post much back then. Overhere, I will probably only post in threads that doesn't require me to write too much.

I've just quickly revisited threads on MP departure and his attempt to rejoin the band, and also the thread about David Prater :). From those threads, I noticed that the majority of you guys are pretty level headed and tend to be unbiased and rational for the most part. I also enjoy the sense of humor of some of you as well.

I've also discovered new music by lurking around here and DT.net (like Rush, Porcurpine Tree, Opeth, Spiral Architect).

Anyway, it's good to be here and looking forward to some fun times.

Tom

Offline Onno

« Reply #1831 on: December 18, 2013, 02:15:56 PM »
Welcome guys!  :tup

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #1832 on: January 05, 2014, 09:11:19 AM »
I'll offer up my introduction and thanks for having me here.  I've lurked for quite awhile but recently opened an account after lurking more frequently and after finally buying tickets to get to see DT for the first time on this upcoming tour.

I'm a New Orleans native living elsewhere now but the planets have always aligned to prevent me from getting to see DT live any of the times they've actually played somewhere near me.  I'll finally get to see them live in April.  I've been a fan of DT since the beginning -- I worked at record stores all through high school and college and still remember being intrigued when their first album showed up at the store.  I've been a more rabid DT fan at some times than others, but certainly much more actively into them for the last 10 years or so.  Six Degrees is my favorite DT album, hence the lyrics reference at the bottom of my posts. 

My earliest music addiction was getting "KISS Alive!" for Christmas in '75 as a mere 7-year-old.  I've seen KISS more live through the years than any other band dating back to the 70s and the autopsy of my brain one day will likely show an alarming portion of it occupied by inane KISS trivia.  :)

I'm also one of the mods at a Randy Rhoads forum -- https://www.randyrhoads.tk/.  It's still there but not nearly as active as it once was pre-Facebook when we had everyone from Kevin DuBrow, Rudy Sarzo, Bob Daisley, Randy's family members and quite a few of his old students regularly joining the discussions.

Looking forward to spending more time here on the boards!! ;D

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1833 on: January 05, 2014, 11:33:47 AM »
Welcome... always nice to have another fogey.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1834 on: January 05, 2014, 11:36:49 AM »
Welcome, great to see another Kiss fan!
 :cozmo: :gene: :paul: :peter:
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1835 on: January 05, 2014, 11:42:13 AM »
Yes, we sure do love actors with instruments.   :P

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1836 on: January 05, 2014, 05:26:22 PM »
As jingle.boy said it's nice to have another 70's/80's (star) child along.   There's so many things you said rickhawk80 that apply to me:

- first album was KISS and very young (somewhere around 6 yo)
- seen KISS more than any other band - partly because they're one of the few fave bands of mine that has toured Australia extensively.
- big RR fan
- into DT since around the beginning (early 90's)
- my interest in NEW DT material has waxed and waned but my love for my favourite albums never has.

The big difference is SDOIT which is nowhere near my best DT album and was in fact a big disappointment for me -  I'm very much alone in my dislike of Disc One (my least favourite DT disc)  but I do really like Disc Two.

Anyway.............welcome.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #1837 on: January 06, 2014, 08:32:28 AM »
Well, since we have a few other KISS fans here I've decided this is a safe place to wave my KISS colors in my signature.   :metal

« Reply #1838 on: January 11, 2014, 06:15:35 AM »
Hello everybody.
Please allow me to introduce myself, now that i finally managed to sign up. I'm visiting these little forums on a pretty regular basis since Mike's departure, when i found out this place is the best and fastest source for DT-related news. And a fun place to be, too. And then it felt more and more strange to come here and kind of get to know you, but you not me.
The reason I didn't sign up earlier is I just never had the feeling I could add something to the discussion. Every opinion I have about DT is already represented by some others' posts. And this is how the internet works, right? Only talk if you've got something to say.
I'm DT-Fan since I&W, so if you young folk check the calculator-app on your iphones you'll see I'm not twenty anymore. I was into Speed- and Thrash Metal at that time, but also listened to bands like Pink Floyd, Marillion or Fates Warning. And then along came DT which was the perfect mixture of those.
Nowadays I listen to lots of very different, but mostly guitar-driven and somehow 'heavy' music with DT still being my favourite band.
So long, don't expect me to post a lot, I just signed up to reveal myself from anonymity and to enlarge the might and power of DTF! (by having one more member)   

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1839 on: January 11, 2014, 06:29:18 AM »
Welcome.  Piece of advice though ... stop masturbating in places you could easily be caught. 

The more you know.   :lol
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

« Reply #1840 on: January 11, 2014, 07:16:18 AM »
You mean, like, in a web?

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1841 on: January 11, 2014, 10:54:55 AM »
Hello everybody.
Please allow me to introduce myself, now that i finally managed to sign up. I'm visiting these little forums on a pretty regular basis since Mike's departure, when i found out this place is the best and fastest source for DT-related news. And a fun place to be, too. And then it felt more and more strange to come here and kind of get to know you, but you not me.
The reason I didn't sign up earlier is I just never had the feeling I could add something to the discussion. Every opinion I have about DT is already represented by some others' posts. And this is how the internet works, right? Only talk if you've got something to say.
I'm DT-Fan since I&W, so if you young folk check the calculator-app on your iphones you'll see I'm not twenty anymore. I was into Speed- and Thrash Metal at that time, but also listened to bands like Pink Floyd, Marillion or Fates Warning. And then along came DT which was the perfect mixture of those.
Nowadays I listen to lots of very different, but mostly guitar-driven and somehow 'heavy' music with DT still being my favourite band.
So long, don't expect me to post a lot, I just signed up to reveal myself from anonymity and to enlarge the might and power of DTF! (by having one more member)

:neverusethis:

:welcome:
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline haceeb

• When you surrender to the light, You can face the darkest days
  • I am bent, not broken
« Reply #1843 on: January 13, 2014, 08:41:49 PM »
Hi, so finally I'm here after months of sign up struggle. I'm a massive Dream Theater fan, others bands i adore are: ELP, King Crimson, YES, Rush, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Anathema, Opeth, Queensr˙che, Queen, Porcupine Tree & Ayreon. Dream Theater introduced me to these all bands especially to King Crimson, Rush.  :flame:
Yeah so i don't know if anybody knows me here from twitter.......but I'm glad to meet you all here  :xbones
cheers "Let the light surround you"

To really feel the joy in life
You must suffer through the pain
When you surrender to the light
You can face the darkest days   :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup
BTW that's really annoying: What is the LAST name of Dream Theater's guitarist?What is the FIRST name of Dream Theater's drummer?
 :chill :chill :chill :chill :chill

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1844 on: January 13, 2014, 08:46:49 PM »
You can always tell new members by the amount of emotes they use in one post. :lol

Welcome, friend. Good to have you. :)

Offline haceeb

• I am bent, not broken
« Reply #1845 on: January 13, 2014, 08:53:47 PM »
You can always tell new members by the amount of emotes they use in one post. :lol

Welcome, friend. Good to have you. :)

hahaha didn't know that, Thank you Ninja  ;D

Offline Gonza_1928DT

• Uncanny Strange Deja Vu, but I don't mind, I hope to find the truth.
« Reply #1846 on: January 15, 2014, 08:20:30 AM »
Hi everyone, let me introduce myself. My name is Gonzalo, 22, from Lima Perú, drummer (noob haha) and a football soccer addict. Admin from "Dream Theater latinoamerica" and a future lawyer.

Glad to be here with you guys, greetings to all  :biggrin:
Under Peruvian Skies 22/03/2010

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1847 on: January 15, 2014, 08:45:38 AM »
Welcome.  Since our resident chef doesn't appear to be stopping by here too often, allow me.

Have some bacon.

:godisgood:

Offline Modah

• catterbrains
« Reply #1848 on: January 27, 2014, 04:43:33 AM »
Good morning! My name is Katey and I'm just a normal Jewish princess born in a half-Anglo-Saxon prince's body. This used to make me pretty resentful until I started making serious changes in my life- stopped using drugs, started going to therapy, started accepting who I am, started realizing that there are some things I can't handle on my own. Now I feel pretty good a lot of the time, but not all the time. I like Daft Punk, Lady Gaga, Ke$ha, Dream Theater, Cascada, The Beatles, Porcupine Tree and lots of other assorted bands. I don't listen to everything, though. That would be difficult.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 05:01:56 AM by Modah »

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1849 on: January 27, 2014, 06:19:09 AM »
That's a pretty wide assortment of music there.  Welcome!

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #1850 on: February 01, 2014, 05:26:58 PM »
My name is JustJen. I think I may have been to someplace like this before a long long long time ago. Oh, right, this is my tenth anniversary at dtnet type places. Hey there everyone. Hope it's going swell.
  ~ a.k.a. VFS in a past life :vfs:

Offline haceeb

• I am bent, not broken
« Reply #1851 on: February 01, 2014, 05:43:02 PM »
My name is JustJen. I think I may have been to someplace like this before a long long long time ago. Oh, right, this is my tenth anniversary at dtnet type places. Hey there everyone. Hope it's going swell.
Welcome to DTF....JustJen :)
and  happy tenth anniversary too

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1852 on: February 01, 2014, 05:53:14 PM »
Hey, Jen. I don't believe we've met, but I am aware of your stature as one of the long-standing DTF members, so good to have you back. :D

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1853 on: February 01, 2014, 06:49:18 PM »

Holy mother of god.  :panicattack:

So nice to see you Jen.  Thought you'd never come back.  Hope you stick around a little.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1854 on: February 01, 2014, 08:39:11 PM »

Holy Crap!  Hey, we've missed you here!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC