Author Topic: DTF Official Newb Welcome Thread v. 2.0 (Introduce yourself here!)  (Read 399232 times)

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
Re: DTF Official Newb Welcome Thread v. 2.0 (Introduce yourself here!)
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2009, 05:52:04 AM »
Bumped:

Welcome to the unofficial official Dream Theater Forums!  Introduce yourselves here. :)
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

JackHaley5

« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2009, 05:07:39 AM »
Okay, I'm in the right place so.

Hello everyone, I'm from Spain and I'm sixteen years old. I can't play any instrument, so I'm just a music enjoyer.

I also listen to some 70s prog rock, avant-garde, jazz fusion, old school hard rock... bands like Van der Graaf Generator, Genesis, Gentle Giant, Pink Floyd, Rush, Yes, Mr. Bungle/Faith No More/Tomahawk/Mike Patton, The Beatles, Anathema, Yann Tiersen, Riverside, Porcupine Tree/Blackfield/Steven Wilson, Sigur Rós, White Lion, Asia, Uriah Heep, Gordian Knot, Incubus, Europe, The Alter Boys, The Flower Kings, Focus and some other bands. I love especially Miles Davis music, Kansas, Steve Vai, Frank Zappa and Lynyrd Skynyrd. Does anyone has a Last.fm account?

And I can't stand spanish music (except of Avalanch and Mamá Ladilla, but they are quite regular...).

I Love some specific literature. I think, during all this years living here, I think now I can say that the only advantadge of being an spanish is that you can read spanish literature without translating it. And definitely is the language with best authors in the Planet Earth. Some I like are Arturo Pérez-Reverte, Mario Vargas Llosa and Gabriel García Márquez. My all-time favourite is Juan Marsé. I also like Franz Kafka and rusian literature.

TV... well, as usual, spanish TV is crap. Some TV Shows I like are My Name Is Earl, Friends, 24, Without a Trace, House MD... I don't see very much TV.

Another great interest: Geography and History. I spend so much time on my own surfing the Wikipedia or whatever (sometimes I try to think if I have a problem... but then I forget it anyway lol), and I have some friends that they like it so much, so... I'm an alive encyclopedy of whatever between the first empires and WWII.

As my nickname says, I like basketball. I consider almost a purist of that sport, a happy viewer. I don't play it professional anyway. And I feel like I'm losing my time when I see that promarketing stars prototypes playing. Favourite teams are Utah Jazz and Golden State Warriors.

Anything else to add. I will need some time to accostume myself here. And sorry for my english, one of the reasons I'm here is that I have to improve it. I'll try to write clear so.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2009, 05:43:26 AM »
Welcome and enjoy your stay!  I'd love to see you bring your opinions to the various TV and movie threads. :tup
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2009, 06:53:59 PM »
BUMPAGE

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2009, 04:03:02 PM »
Thanks to glaurung for finding the thread for me!

Name is Tricia, you can call me chkn! I'm in Phoenix metro area, Arizona, USA.

I recently was introduced to DT about 2 months ago and haven't looked back since. My boyfriend played me Scenes and by Fatal Tragedy I had to have the entire discography. It took me a while to branch out to the other albums and I'm still digesting them. Yet, as my friends have repeatedly told me, I've become kind of obsessed in learning the songs/albums and understanding them musically and lyrically. I think alot of my love for this band is that its not just music and words pasted together. There's so much underlying there to look for and understand that just doesn't exist in other music.

Funny thing to go from that to explaining my other favorite genre's and music. I'm mostly a listener of punk which tends to not have those elements that I love about DT. Favorite punk bands are Rise Against, Bad Religion, Anti-Flag, Pennywise.... I do however listen to a wide range. I love The Who, Pink Floyd, The Police... the list goes on. I'm just a huge fan of music in general. I love going to concerts, mostly prefer the smaller, more intimate settings. I created a list of bands I've seen, 160 and growing.

I can play a few instruments, but haven't picked one up in years. I think being a musician or having musical knowledge definitely increases someones pleasure in DT. There just seems to be a connection there.

Aside from music, I'm a rabid hockey fan. Favorite team is the Colorado Avalanche - recently sunk to the bottom of the league, but they'll get their feet under themselves in a few years. Graduated from ASU 1.5 years ago with a degree that I don't use, but don't really feel that bad about it.

Being fairly new to the band, please go easy on me for not understanding all the shorthand abbreviations or all the ins and outs of the music. I recently figured out about the 12 step suite... so I'm behind the times and working on catching up! I've seemed to have bored my friends with my constant DT talk, so thats why I'm here! I figure I can't bore other DT fanatics!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2009, 04:10:51 PM »
Thanks to glaurung for finding the thread for me!

Name is Tricia, you can call me chkn! I'm in Phoenix metro area, Arizona, USA.

I recently was introduced to DT about 2 months ago and haven't looked back since. My boyfriend played me Scenes and by Fatal Tragedy I had to have the entire discography. It took me a while to branch out to the other albums and I'm still digesting them. Yet, as my friends have repeatedly told me, I've become kind of obsessed in learning the songs/albums and understanding them musically and lyrically. I think alot of my love for this band is that its not just music and words pasted together. There's so much underlying there to look for and understand that just doesn't exist in other music.

Funny thing to go from that to explaining my other favorite genre's and music. I'm mostly a listener of punk which tends to not have those elements that I love about DT. Favorite punk bands are Rise Against, Bad Religion, Anti-Flag, Pennywise.... I do however listen to a wide range. I love The Who, Pink Floyd, The Police... the list goes on. I'm just a huge fan of music in general. I love going to concerts, mostly prefer the smaller, more intimate settings. I created a list of bands I've seen, 160 and growing.

I can play a few instruments, but haven't picked one up in years. I think being a musician or having musical knowledge definitely increases someones pleasure in DT. There just seems to be a connection there.

Aside from music, I'm a rabid hockey fan. Favorite team is the Colorado Avalanche - recently sunk to the bottom of the league, but they'll get their feet under themselves in a few years. Graduated from ASU 1.5 years ago with a degree that I don't use, but don't really feel that bad about it.

Being fairly new to the band, please go easy on me for not understanding all the shorthand abbreviations or all the ins and outs of the music. I recently figured out about the 12 step suite... so I'm behind the times and working on catching up! I've seemed to have bored my friends with my constant DT talk, so thats why I'm here! I figure I can't bore other DT fanatics!

Hey cool, another Arizonian. Your situation sounds like mine. All my friends in Florida hate my music, and I think it's more of the fact that I would always talk about one or many of my favorite bands.

Welcome to DTF.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2009, 04:36:17 PM »

Hey cool, another Arizonian. Your situation sounds like mine. All my friends in Florida hate my music, and I think it's more of the fact that I would always talk about one or many of my favorite bands.

Welcome to DTF.

I'm not sure they hate it... but they just aren't interested in hearing me constantly finding new and interesting things in every song haha Thanks for the welcome!

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2009, 04:49:49 PM »
And sorry for my english, one of the reasons I'm here is that I have to improve it. I'll try to write clear so.

A lot of people on this board have a first language other than English, so I think we're pretty patient with people who are working on their English.  Not that you need to worry--your English is WAY better than my Spanish.  :lol

I think alot of my love for this band is that its not just music and words pasted together. There's so much underlying there to look for and understand that just doesn't exist in other music.

:tup  This is the exact same thing that drew me to DT and prog music in general. 

Welcome to you both.   :metal

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2009, 05:59:58 PM »
I think alot of my love for this band is that its not just music and words pasted together. There's so much underlying there to look for and understand that just doesn't exist in other music.

:tup  This is the exact same thing that drew me to DT and prog music in general. 

Thanks! I haven't really been into prog music.... as far as I know. Maybe I have and just don't realize it. At one point, I even dismissed concept albums. Now I can't get enough of them. Aside from Scenes, Quadraphenia, In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth 3, and Mindcrime rank at the top for me, but I feel I'm just breaking the surface.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2009, 06:04:46 PM »

Thanks! I haven't really been into prog music.... as far as I know. Maybe I have and just don't realize it. At one point, I even dismissed concept albums. Now I can't get enough of them. Aside from Scenes, Quadraphenia, In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth 3, and Mindcrime rank at the top for me, but I feel I'm just breaking the surface.

Operation: Mindcrime is one of my favorite albums of all time :tup
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Neccy60

• Official Boards of Canada Fanperson
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2009, 06:09:02 PM »
Operation Mindcrime is an OK album.  I think.  I don't remember.

God, it's been a long time since I listened to Queensryche. =/

Hi newbs, ya'll should listen to my new album.  :smiley:

Quote from: axeman90210
Mr. Neccy, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this board is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Offline Isolde

« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2009, 03:45:49 PM »
Hi. My name is Jen and I live in Lebanon, Pennsylvania (near Hershey PA, the home of Hershey Park for those non locals that know PA for that).

I play the piano and sing in my church choir. I am also on a puppet team at my church. If you are interested in more information just ask me, I'll be glad to share :D.

I consider myself pretty creative with crafts and things (and music too). I am average intelligence and I'm going into a Registered Nursing Career. I am currently attending Harrisburg Area Community College (HACC) Lebanon Campus and plan to transfer to the main Harrisburg Campus of HACC.

About Dream Theater I really admire them musically and I owe the world to my boyfriend (who is also on the forums) for getting me into DT!

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2009, 03:48:28 PM »
Hey there, welcome. :tup

Offline Isolde

Offline veronica

• Bosk-approved weird aunt
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Something must be done about this girl at once!
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2009, 03:59:16 PM »
Hi Isolde! Who's your boyfriend? How old are you? That's all I'm curious about right now :P (I see you wrote you're in college, but I never can remember when college starts/stops for you guys ;) )

Honorary Junior Old Fogey
I have a dual-citizenageinternetgroupship.

Offline Isolde

« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2009, 04:03:12 PM »
Hi Isolde! Who's your boyfriend? How old are you? That's all I'm curious about right now :P (I see you wrote you're in college, but I never can remember when college starts/stops for you guys ;) )

I am 19 (20 on april 20th!)!

Edit: my boyfriend is ehra

Offline veronica

• Bosk-approved weird aunt
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Something must be done about this girl at once!
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2009, 04:04:13 PM »
Aah, I see :)

Honorary Junior Old Fogey
I have a dual-citizenageinternetgroupship.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2009, 04:12:29 PM »
Hi. My name is Jen and I live in Lebanon, Pennsylvania

I'm originally from western PA.  Have you heard of the local band "Flatbed Ford"?  I went to college with the bass player, and he's also the guy that turned me on to DT.

Offline Isolde

« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2009, 04:15:20 PM »
Hi. My name is Jen and I live in Lebanon, Pennsylvania

I'm originally from western PA.  Have you heard of the local band "Flatbed Ford"?  I went to college with the bass player, and he's also the guy that turned me on to DT.

no, but is there anyway i can look into them online..? I'll be sure to check into them!

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2009, 04:17:11 PM »
They're not progressive, he sold out trying to make money :)

They have a myspace page that seems slightly out of date.

Offline Isolde

« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2009, 04:19:17 PM »
They're not progressive, he sold out trying to make money :)

They have a myspace page that seems slightly out of date.

still worth checking out, imo.  :tup

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2009, 04:20:00 PM »
Hi!

I'm Ruben and I'm from Belgium.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2009, 04:31:52 PM »
I guess I should do this as well...

I'm Mason and I'm a DT-aholic.  Originally from Johnstown, PA, now in SW Virginia, soon to be somewhere else.  I play guitar (Michael Kelly Patriot) and keyboards (Yamaha S03) in my spare time.  I'm also a huge advocate for Greyhound adoption, I'll be making that pitch sometime soon.

Top 5 Bands:
Dream Theater
Iron Maiden
Rush
Enchant
Pain of Salvation

And yes, I am the Most Interesting Man on Earth - and no its not a self-applied nickname.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2009, 04:34:59 PM »
Can I post even though I'm the resident least-newb?
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2009, 04:36:55 PM »
Can I post even though I'm the resident least-newb?

no.  Start your anti-noob thread  ;D

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2009, 04:51:28 PM »
No, I'm not anti-noob by any stretch, I'm just one of the longest-running members.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2009, 04:55:41 PM »
I didn't mean anti in that sense, I meant it in the opposite.  Maybe I should have suggested a geezer thread :)  I was just being a smart ass

Post away

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2009, 05:03:05 PM »
I know. ;) It's all good. I don't get bothered easily on here.

Offline True Death of Life

• The hair, the legend
« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2009, 12:27:03 PM »
...im new here.

let the bashing begin *sigh*

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2009, 12:27:40 PM »
Sup, and welcome.

Offline True Death of Life

• The hair, the legend
« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2009, 12:29:28 PM »
I can't believe you talked me into this, dude...

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2009, 12:35:55 PM »
Wait...you two know each other?

:mrlol:
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2009, 12:36:40 PM »

This.

But welcome. :tup
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2009, 12:36:51 PM »

Yep. :biggrin:

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #69 on: August 31, 2009, 12:37:05 PM »
More 14 or whatever year olds? Great.
fanticide.bandcamp.com